December 22, 2014 | 1760 users online

Mascara - Essence - I Love Extreme - Volume Mascara

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2014 9:48:00 PM More reviews by cjayy13

amazing mascara and an amazing price! has great volume !

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2014 7:52:00 PM More reviews by Jewel15iam

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this mascara at ulta for a very low price.. It was something like $5. I love it!!!! It makes my eyelashes big and, yeah, kinda sexy. The only downside? It didn't come in packaging... So someone could've easily used it. However I love it enough to put up w that.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/26/2014 5:19:00 PM More reviews by ilovemac03

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This mascara is really good for volume and length. The formula is on the drier side, thus the tube doesn't last for too long. Also the brush is huge, so its not suitable for lower lashes. It also can get a little clumpy if you don't let the mascara dry between coats, for times when it gets clumpy I use an old mascara brush like the clump crusher brush. When I use this mascara it looks like I have falsies on, it also holds a curl. The only downfall with this mascara is the flaking, and it flakes quite a bit, I might have to see if there's a waterproof version of this mascara. I also wish it was a bit more black, but for the price this is great.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2014 11:40:00 PM More reviews by debbrumb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Very similar to the pink tube but a much bigger brush. Great for top lashes but got messy for bottom ones. Dried quicker than the Jordana one and did give great volume.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/1/2014 8:51:00 PM More reviews by Katlan

Really nice mascara. Not May favourite one from essence but it gets the job done and is very inexpensive.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2014 8:41:00 PM More reviews by aguadora

EDIT: Upping this to 4 lippies. This has become my daily mascara for the past few months! Somehow it gets better with time, as it dries out. I know we're supposed to toss mascara out frequently, and at the price I wouldn't mind getting another tube even if I feel this still has a lot of 'juice' in it. This costs half of my HG Maybelline mascara.

For comparison, I have recently purchased and tried the I Love Crazy Extreme mascara (pink tube), which is the one everybody seems to love. (My favorite beauty blogger emilynoel, among many others). But I have to say I like the effect of the original I Love Extreme (black tube) better. Chalk it down to personal preference. The problem with the pink tube one is the fine comb-like wand separates my lashes too much, and I find that I need a little bit of clump to get the big, fat lashes I want. For casual days (groceries, errands) I would go with the Crazy Extreme, but for work, when I want a little more drama, I much prefer the I Love Extreme.

Random aside: They look nice next to each other, with the pink and black theme reversed on the other, like a makeup yin and yang. :)

The only problem is still that the fat brush that can get mascara on my lids if I'm not careful. But I've used it so often by now that I already got the hang of how to avoid that - just don't squiggle the brush in too close at the base. Or you could use a mascara shield.

Promoting this to: Yes, I would repurchase.

---

Original review: 5/15/2014 8:41:00 PM

Did not like this much when first used. It was too wet, and the brush was fat and mascara ended up on my lids often. A few weeks later, now that it has dried up a bit, I am quite liking it. Reminds me of the Maybelline Turbo ones I used to have, only this is much cheaper. Price can't be beat. Will probably not repurchase because I still have a few tubes of other mascaras I want to try. I have other Essence mascaras and this one is my go-to one for volume.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2014 4:19:00 PM More reviews by Pandora7

This is my favourite cheap mascara. It's nothing revolutionary, but it does not flake, smudge or make my eyes irritated. I have bought this a few times for this reason as I'm not convinced that higher priced mascaras are better quality than lower priced ones, and for a product that I replace every 2-3 months (or whenever I see clumping), I'm happier to pay less for good quality. I still have not found one I love enough to commit to 100%, but this is a definite winner for me. I love that it has a big bristled spoolie (I'm not a fan of the rubberized ones). It does what it ought to do, holds a curl well enough and is easy to remove at the end of the day. Essence also doesn't test on animals.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2014 12:33:00 PM More reviews by seroled

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I heard good things about this mascara so I picked it up at Ulta. I have it in the pink tube (crazy volume).
This mascara actually makes it looks like I'm wearing false lashes.
My only issue is the formula is kind of thick. I have to scrape excess off the brush so it doesn't clump all over the place. I like it very much and plan to repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/10/2014 1:50:00 PM More reviews by rockhormon

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Simply too wet for me. I would not recommend it for anyone, it's not worth the money even if it's cheap.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/9/2014 4:38:00 PM More reviews by musiqphile

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This mascara doesn't work particularly well on its own but when layered with Essence 24hr Mascara in the neon yellow tube, I Love Extreme does the trick. I find a layer of the 24hr applied lightly to curled lashes will hold the curl while Extreme amps the drama. Extreme tends to weigh lashes down on its own but partnered with 24hr it can create longer, fuller and darker lashes. I think if someone wanted to work with a lash comb and alternating layers, a nice set of falsie-like flutterers could be had but for my purposes (everyday office work) I only need my eyes to look more open and awake, not drag-queen vampy.

The brush is huge and unwieldy. If the user doesn't have longish lashes already they would have a hard time with this brush because they'd end up poking their eyeballs with it. Ouch. The formula itself isn't great, but again, try pairing it with another mascara that is more lightweight if you don't want your lashes to droop. My main complaint about this and all Essences mascaras is that they don't come sealed so any shmoe in the cosmetics aisle can play beauty school with the products and you might end up with pink eye depending on how many people/germs your new mascara has come into contact with. But so far so good for me; no conjunctivits here! Yet.