Physicians Formula Eye Booster Lash Boosting Felt-Tip Eyeliner + Serum

2.9

on 8/27/2013 12:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I asked MUB for a recommendation for a decent, DS felt-tip liquid liner since I'm starting to try doing subtle winged liner/cat eye looks and the unanimous vote was for this one. I don't even care about the "lash boosting" effects, I just wanted something I could draw with smoothly and quickly because I'm not skilled enough to work liquid liner with a skinny brush tip yet (although I'm okay with gel, but not patient enough to really work with the brush properly).

ANYWAY, this thing is alright. (I think maybe I got the wrong one, since there are two versions and MUB probably meant the other one that has higher reviews on here). I got it in Ultra Black, a little nervous it would be too dark/glaring, but I'm glad I got this one instead of just plain black. It's not SUPER pigmented, as the felt-tip liners usually aren't, but the Ultra Black one is dark enough - especially if you leave the pen cap side down while storing. It goes on pretty smoothly and draws a decent line. The pen tip is definitely thicker than I wanted - it's not possible to do a thinner line. I usually clean up the upper edge of the line, as it tends to not be a smooth line but a little ruddy because skin has texture, and thin it down a bit with a q-tip once I'm done.

It dries quickly and lasts well, without smudging, fading, or running at all throughout the work day. I haven't been using it long enough yet to vouch for any lash boosting power, but I have noticed since I started using it that sometimes I wake up with my eyelids a little bit swollen, especially the first morning after I used it. I had this problem with the L'oreal grow lash serum (whatever it was called) to quite an extreme degree after using for awhile, and afraid I may react to this with continued used as well. Also it's pretty pricey for DS liner, at $12. I think I'm probably going to end up exchanging it for the Revlon liner pen my sister likes.

on 6/26/2013 2:11:00 PM

I've been using this eyeliner for a little over a week now so I can't make any "long-term" comments about this product yet. However, I felt compelled to write a review because after reading all the other comments right after purchasing it, I felt like I was going to hate the product and had buyers remorse. After trying it, I was happy to find out it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

I've been using the original brush-tip version for quite a while now, and I have been quite satisfied with the results. I love the thin tip, its longevity, and the colour. I didn't love how the tip would get dry with time and I would have to "clean" the tip. The formula is not completely budgeproof, but it does wear well.

With this version, the first thing I noticed was that the tip is much wider so there is a learning process with application. Its harder to get a really thin line. I used to just lie the tip along the lash line and pull, but with this one, you need to point the tip directly towards the eye to get a thinner line. Its also a bit trickier to get a thin wing at the outer corner of the eye. I do this by drawing the triangle at the end of my eye, and before the eyeliner dries, I gently using the edge of my nail to pull out the wing to get a nice thin/sharp edge. Otherwise, this marker tip is quite easy to use!

The colour is like the original: not very dark. If you want a deep opaque blackest black type of eyeliner, this is DEFINITELY not for you. Personally, I like it because it looks more natural. If i want a darker colour, I layer it, or if I want a more full on look then I'd use something else altogether.

I have one eye that tends to transfer/crease, and the other is normal. I do notice the drying time is slightly different with this one and it may take just a little more time to dry. I tend to do one eye at a time: curl lashes, line, mascara, then repeat on other eye. This tends to work well, except sometimes, if my line is too thick, I do have some issues with immediate creasing/transferring because of drying time, but otherwise, its the same as the original formula.

The eyeliner is long wearing. It doesn't look too much like a hot mess towards the end of the day which is great. I only ever have creasing/smudging problems with that one problem eye, and even then its not a big problem. One quick wipe and I'm good to go for the rest of the day. The other eye stays perfect all day.

As per the original formula, I think its a little expensive at full price for a drugstore product, but if you get it on sale, I think its a great buy. There is nothing particular about the packaging. I don't use it because of its lash boosting properties (I'm not sure it does anything in this respect). I should also note that I like to store this product tip side down to make sure the tip stays wet.

I'll update my review if I have anything to add after prolonged use.

on 6/5/2013 2:44:00 PM

Very disappointed... not pigmented enough and lash boosting? uhh no i don't think so. The product doesn't come out as smoothly and consistently as I thought it would. No thank you.

on 5/30/2013 10:23:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This felt-tip is great - very easy to apply and get a nice, thick line.

The formula however, dries up very quickly, and the pen needs to be shaken over and over again, turned over, and sometimes even tested on paper or your hand to work properly, to get the most out of the eyeliner. This makes the product less economical than it should be.

on 5/18/2013 3:13:00 PM

I did not like this product. When i first applied it, I thought it was fine. It has a nice applicator and the results looked fine. But the problem is that this stuff doesn't seem to dry and smears everywhere. I wore this about half a day and it looked awful. Smearing and creasing everywhere, I have not experienced anything like that before. I ended up throwing it in the trash after one use. It is a shame because if it dried down nicely and didn't smear it would be a nice product.

on 5/18/2013 3:05:00 PM

I have purchased this a few times now. I use this as my daily eyeliner on the upper lid only. It is pretty easy to apply, it gets easier as you use it (less product is dispensed and it looks more natural). I like that it is easy to wash it off versus a pencil that has more of that waxy texture. I am not sure that it really makes my eyelashes grow any more than usual, at least not that I noticed, but I did not really expect that claim was legitimate. It is pretty easy to get a thin-ish line, although I guess if you were going for a super natural look this wouldn't be the best pick. I like this one better than the thinner version as I think it actually looks more natural for some reason.

on 4/4/2013 1:04:00 AM

I bought this on sale at CVS for about $6. I loved the idea of making the eyelashes look thicker and the packaging was attractive. I have very thin lashes and was looking forward to this working as I love Physicians formula in general. This was a HUGE disappointment. Even after trying to keep it upside down, to get the liquid to come to tip, it would not apply right. It would look like a very light grey, even though it was black. The tip made the line look way too thick. I tried several times And gave up.
I would not buy this again. If you have purchased from CvS or Walgreens, return it if it doesn't work. They will refund your money.

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I like this felt tip eyeliner. It is a little difficult to apply at first, but once you get the hang of it, its really nice. I store it vertically with the pen side down so I get the beautiful opaque black color. I might repurchase, but I am partial to the original version.

on 1/27/2013 2:29:00 PM

I have repurchased this multiple times. I take makeup claims with a giant grain of salt. I don't really take any claims seriously until I've tried it out. This was on the sale, and well, I needed a new eyeliner. My mac blacktrack just dried out on me, and I was delaying buying a new pencil eyeliner, and I thought it was about time I tried out the marker trend.
Definitely easy to put on. I put on my eye makeup (eyeliner, shadow, mascara) on the train. I could do this super easily. I tightline, and then I line the top of the lashes, and then I wing it out at the end. I can do this one handed...on a moving train. If you can't do it sitting at home, practice. This makes it super easy. You can use the tip of the marker to make a perfect wing by pressing it sideways and drawing into the inside of your eye. I really love how this works, and the best thing is, after a few weeks, I think my lashes are actually longer and thicker. I have asian lashes, this is pretty amazing. My lashes have always been pretty plentiful, but this really made them longer, and filled in some of the empty spots I had along my lashline.

I will repurchase this forever, but will probably try out the regular pen type from PF as well, and decide which one works better. I will say that this will smudge onto my upper eyelid because I'm asian...but that's really what happens with every eyeliner I try, so that's not really a killing point for me. I suggest you try it, and if you hate it, well, make sure you buy it from CVS/Walgreens so you can return if you can't work it.

on 1/26/2013 6:55:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I'm ready to throw this away. I bought this because I have a few areas where my lashes are sparse because I accidentally cut them and this eyeliner did the job in making my lashes full again. Other than that this eyeliner sucks! It's not smudge nor waterproof like it claims. It basically never dries. I'm only ready to throw it away now because it's already finished its job of making my lashes full again.