April 19, 2014 | 1748 users online

Styling Products - Not Your Mother's - Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray

rated 2 of 5 on 1/6/2014 3:40:00 PM More reviews by Backmasking

I wish this worked for me. While this does smell amazing, it just makes my hair look unkempt. I gave this to my 13 year-old sister.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2013 3:01:00 PM More reviews by cathykl

I used up an entire bottle of Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray in less than 2 months, and did not want to buy another bottle (which is super tiny and I have long hair, plus for salt water the price is outrageous for the amount in my opinion).

This stuff is the best I have tried from the drugstore. I tried L'oreal's version but the smell was obnoxious, over-powering and lasted so long I could smell it on my jacket 4 days later. . yuck. That went into the bin. I then tried SunSilk (spray nozzle broke after 3rd use, discontinued now I think, but a bit too drying) and it Surf Spray (also great and I use this as well). But for smell, formula and price Beach Babe is best! It has a nice suntan lotion smell, easy to spray with a slightly pointed nozzle and costs less than $5. I've had the same bottle for 4 months now and lots left.

It gives my straight, flat but thick hair volume and a perfect "un-done" tousled texture I love but is hard to get with long, stick straight hair. I just mist on a small amount all over my hair when it's slightly damp, but not right out of the shower. When it's completely dry I go over the roots again for volume. I don't want my hair super messy - but when this spray is used lightly it gives great volume and texture without looking like you haven't combed your hair since last week. Very happy a company other than B&B got this right! I would definitely repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/29/2013 3:44:00 PM More reviews by mmccartney

This product gives me good texture but not necessarily waves. The coconut and ocean smell is fantastic. Also, the packaging on this one is great; you can lock the top so it won't make a mess traveling.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2013 11:26:00 PM More reviews by AlohaPandaXOXO

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Like many women who came of age in the early 2000s, I am still mourning the loss of John Frieda's Beach Blonde Wave Spray and all of the middle school memories and that really saccharine sweet bubblegum pop commercial with the two blonde twins that were associated with it. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, Frieda discontinued the product and one of the few good hair choices I made pre-2006 was no longer available, so I've been on the search for a texturizer similar to Beach Waves since.

There are a lot of imitators to the throne, most are familiar with Bumble and Bumble's surf spray but I found it didn't really do much for my hair and the price point is ridiculous. Frieda came out with several wave sprays, but none matched what he had originally put out. A good texturizer with sea salt needs to also have a fair amount of conditioning/smoothing in it for it to "cure" into piecey perfection rather than just be dried out and frizz-producing and nobody was getting the formula right. I had spent way too much money and eventually just assumed that I'd never find a product comparable, but one day at Ulta I ended up telling my over dramatic tale to a sales associate and she being of the same age understood and pointed me to this.

I am thrilled to say a drugstore priced product has finally gotten back on track and that this is about as close to Beach Waves as anyone will probably get. With this, I do a light mist over damp hair and then do a few more sprays over my ends before twisting it up into a loose bun and letting it activate my waves. The silicone in this help everything separate the way they ought to and then when the salt dries everything comes into place, activating my wavy hair into mermaid texture. If I need a little more moisture with this, I'll add a few drops of jojoba oil in and shake and that helps it get closer to BW perfection. The scent here is nice as well and isn't overpowering. I'm not too keen on the packaging as I find that it's not super airtight and dried up salt tends to build up around the top of the bottle and on the nozzle. . I'm just glad there's a suitable drugstore option here and I'm not shelling out $25 for Bumble and Bumble's non-performing beach brine.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/11/2013 10:16:00 PM More reviews by Raeshelle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

this stuff is really good! it really holds nice texture. I have medium texture hair and its oily as well. Its also really thick. I spray this all around to my curls, waves or crimps to keep the texture, and i love it. My favorite time to use it is for my messy buns. It gives that "perfect messy bun" look and holds well. I really feel like im going to the beach when I use it. loving it! Cheers! <3 P.S. it has real sea salt in it so it really is salty...DONT get any in your eyes or mouth!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2013 11:55:00 AM More reviews by stimwink1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have VERY short fine hair and don't always want or have time to screw with it. This just adds a little texture to my hair so it's not totally flat but not like the pastes that take so much time and effort not to gunk your hair in one spot.

For thos that gave it a bad rating that I read. It's not a "big hair" product. If you are looking for that go for Big Sexy Hair products or the pastes that are out there. Because it is a liquid it may not work as well on heavier, thicker, kinkier hair. Again think you might want to look into a heavier product to get the relaxed beachy tossled look..

Love the smell. I've just spritz this in when I've been somewhere where people have been smoking or something similar and my hair grabs the stinky smell. This takes it out fast without using the dry shampoo.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2013 2:30:00 AM More reviews by makeupjunkie11786

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

To all the people complaining about the dryness come come now...it does state that it is a Salt spray. It is supposed to give you that messy/wavy beach look, that's what these sprays are intended for. If you want neat smoother looking waves then get a styling cream put some on your hair while it is damp (one'n'only argan styling cream is a good one) tousle your hair put it up in a bun and let it down after its partially dry and finish with some serum. But if you want the messy surfer girl kinda waves than this spray does serve its purpose. I use it with the styling cream to combat excessive dryness and frizz but it creates nice texture. You can also use a diffuser if your too impatient to air dry. However if you have color treated hair I wouldnt go this route to get waves since the salt will obviously fade your color out. Other than that the price is good the bottle is cute and it smells like coconut! Idk about you but thats a plus in my book -_^

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2013 2:14:00 AM More reviews by xenobia1968

I adore this stuff! I spray it on my damp hair, scrunch and go! It gives that nice beachy, grunge look that is totally awesome and I love the way it makes my hair smell...yummy! Highly recommend! I just started using it so will update if there are any changes in my review. Somehow I think I'll be loving this for a long long time! :-)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2013 5:49:00 PM More reviews by yungadubz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

first of all all of the people negatively rating this product have obviously never been to the beach before because this product does exactly what it claims it does. its a texturizing spray it doesnt guarantee huge movie star waves in your hair, its supposed to look like youve spent a day at the beach. at first when I used this product I was hesitant because of the bad reviews. I sprayed onto damp hair then put my hair in two braids for 10 mins then took them out and just scrunched my hair to emphasized the waves a little and it came out great. people have to understand this is a texturizing spray and that you still have to actually style your hair its not claiming that you spray it and magically have big waves. this product does exactly what it says it would. I would buy again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2013 10:37:00 AM More reviews by MrMontyBurns

Loving this! I spray generously on wet, damp hair, run my fingers through to distribute, then scrunch. It makes my wavy hair more defined, but in a good-messy way, if that makes sense. Also, it seriously adds volume! I wasn't expecting that, but so pleased. And--this is a biggie for me--when dry, my hair is super soft, not crunchy or sticky at all! Scent is very nice but not too strong. Sooo happy I found this! Haven't tried on second-day hair yet, but will update when I do.