November 27, 2014 | 1500 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Root Erase

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/29/2012 2:44:00 PM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

So overall I'm giving this a 3. The bottle for this is fantastic but the dye is just so-so. I've tried getting just my roots before and either end up with a mess or covering my entire head. This actually helped me get just my roots. Thus I love the little applicator screw on cap that comes with this. That is perfect for roots. On the other hand though the dye was just "meh". I didn't like it. I have golden undertones to my brown hair and those showed through. I'm sure if another person were to look at my hair they wouldn't be able to tell unless they got up close. Yet it still bothers me. So I don't think this product would do a fantastic job of covering grays. It'd be good for a quick touch up on roots until you could either do your normal at home coloring or get to a salon. I only picked this up because it wasn't even $4 at my local Walmart and yet my beloved Natural Instincts was almost $10! I don't know if it's just where I live or if the price has gone up but I seem to remember Natural Instincts only being about $6-7. Oh well it's more worth it to have my hair dyed the right color instead of a black that lets gold shine through. I left it a 3 'cause it seems like others are getting this to work for them. For me it'll do for now until I can get a new box of Natural Instincts or find something that actually deposits a blue-black that doesn't damage your hair.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2012 10:11:00 AM More reviews by kayben

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This product is a dream come true! If, like me, you are lazy, have shoulder length or longer hair that is a pain to color, if you have gray that is clustered on the crown like the line on a skunk, then this is the product for you.

I have medium brown hair (number 41 in Colorsilk) and used the same medium brown color in the Root Erase. I purchased it at Walmart for about 3.50. Great deal, although more expensive than the full dye kit when you buy it at CVS for 2/5.00. Totally worth the money for the convenience. No question about it.

I left the dye on for twenty or so minutes and could have gone a few minutes more to be honest but I was scared at how dark it was and how quickly it developed compared with the full dye kit. But be not afraid, it is light and gentle, and covered all the gray with a light brown touch like highlights. Looks natural in all broad daylight and blends with the rest of the color seamlessly. Did not damage my coarse, thin hair at all. The sponge applicator is fool-proof, deposits color right where you want it, and the amount of dye is exactly enough. Only bad mark I would give is that this product does not include a packet of conditioner.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2012 11:43:00 AM More reviews by jarona

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Alrighty! Lately I've been kind of on the lazy side of coloring my hair. It's winter and I want to give my hair a rest from the harshness of coloring the gray that I have. I'm also on the fence about letting my hair actually go gray. That being said, I'm not going to cut anything off--nor do I want to look like a skunky Curella DeVille. What to do? What to do? Well, I was in Walmart the other day and noticed this new product for a little over three dollars. How could I not try it at least? I'll tell you I was so over-the-top glad about this Revlon Root Erase that I didn't even look at the brand--I just saw Root Erase. Naturally, when I got back to the office I checked to see if there were any reviews over here on MUA. The only reviews were for the L'Oreal root eraser and, as usual with L'Oreal hair color, most were horrific.
Anyway, I used this Revlon stuff this morning. There was plenty of product. I used the darkest black. Instructions easy enough. Mix the developer with the color, shake vigorously, replace cap with "spongy" applicator, put your dry hair into your everyday style, and apply product to the roots. Easy Peasy. The only sorta issue was that you have to get used to the applicator--it can get a little messy if you are a natural born slob such as myself--other than that it really is great. You are supposed to wait ten minutes with an additional five for tough roots. Well, I left it on for a half-hour while I tidied up. Rinsed it out, hopped in the shower, washed, conditioned and styled my hair. Looking great! Covered extremely well. Will it wash out after my next washing? To tell you the truth, I don't care. As my hair is EXTREMELY coarse and naturally very dry, I only have to wash the hair once a week. I figure in three more weeks, I'll re-apply. This really is great stuff for those in-between colorings AND I think it will suffice well for those teetering on the edge of allowing their hair to go naturally gray. Just a thought. Anyway, there are no harsh chemicals as this is part of the Colorsilk line. Good luck and thanks for reading. Hope you like this!

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No