November 29, 2014 | 1193 users online

Body Scrubs - Brown Sugar Scrub

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2012 9:26:00 AM More reviews by stls

I love brown sugar, it's so tasty and mixed with baby oil makes an awesome body scrub too!
I mix these two in a glass jar and keep it in the shower so it's always ready for me. Can be used on wet or dry skin.
I prefer unrefined sugar because the texture is rougher than white sugar and doesn't sting like salt scrub. Also the oil doesn't dissolve sugar so you can keep the mixture in the jar as long as you wish.
Sometimes I add a few drops of fragrance oil from body shop when I feel like using something more aromatic.
Enjoy! Oh, and be careful with the slippery tub!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2012 4:55:00 AM More reviews by jessiejane1991

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

great as a scrub- my skin feels smooth as ever afterwards.

just a tip- THAT WORKS

it can be really harsh on the skin so what i do is i make a mixture using redbush tea( soak the teabag in half a cup of boiling water then just use maybe half of it) then ad the brown sugar to the tea to form a paste,a few tablespoons should do it. Then leave this for an hour or so- the warm water will smooth the sugar grain edges a bit making it smother, easier to apply and massage and much more gently on skin. The red bush tea is packed with loads more anti oxidants than green tea- its also caffine free and does wonders as a toner- it also leavs the skin with an amazing fresh dewy glow!
you can store the mixture in a cool dry place and use it for up to three days- just add a bit of water every day and mix it in, if the mixture is too soft simply add more sugar and or water x ♥

I follow the scrub with my 1% retinol by green cream and 2 or three times a week i use lemon juice applied topically ( to lighten and even out skin tone) i used it originally to get rid of my bad acne scars- it is by far the best treatment for red/ pink/ brown acne scarring- far better than the brands and countless chemical peels i have had.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/23/2011 5:00:00 PM More reviews by CuteMo

I just started using brown sugar as a facial scrub in January, but only once a week as I find it's too harsh on my skin. I follow the scrub with honey, and it works wonders! But I think I'll follow others' advice and try the sugar with either grapeseed or avocado oil, and see how it works out!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/7/2011 4:14:00 PM More reviews by MuddyMocha

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I always make sure I've got some of this in my shower. It's really easy to make and it works. I use all over my body, except for my face for which I use another scrub. My skin is really soft even my feet. I play around with essential oils and stuff to get different scents, some are better and some are worse. But I also use spices, my favorit being cinnamon (and sometimes cardamon) for this scrub and it is the most amazing scent, it's heavenly.
So if you haven't tried to make your own brown sugar scrub try it!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2011 7:14:00 PM More reviews by treeolive

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Brown Sugar is the best type of sugar to use on your skin, its a great exfoliator and it makes your skin feel moistrurised and the best thing to do is add and mix olive or almond oil and scrub your skin with it. AMAZING! its better than the white granulated sugar in my opinion. its cheap, you can buy it anywhere like in tesco or sainsburys, anywhere really, its just so good :D

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2011 6:07:00 PM More reviews by CODYKERI

I second everyone else on the greatness of the brown sugar scrub for face and body. I actually skip the oil and just massage on in the shower sometimes with facial cleanser and wash off. My skin is sensitive so I only do about once a week. Face and skin is so soft. And it doesn't get any cheaper than this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2011 12:20:00 AM More reviews by Katras

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

If for whatever reason you want an effective exfoliator that is also cheap as dirt, brown sugar is the answer. I desperately needed to exfoliate my skin but couldn't wait around for my Talulah Vanilla Bean Scrub to be shipped, and so 2 tsps. of brown sugar + 2 tsps. grapeseed oil and my skin was left super soft and not dry. Very nice!!
Okay, so fast forward a couple of days later, I used the same recipe as above but also added a couple of squirts of my Biologique Recherche toner and it not only made my skin super soft but it even loosened the clogged pores on my nose (yeah!... ewww!). Sweet!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2011 7:07:00 AM More reviews by bobbictx

I like to do a brown sugar scrub on my face as well as in the shower. It leaves my face softer than anything has EVER left it - EVER. It's freaking amazing; I can't stop touching my face. I usually use olive oil & brown sugar, but oils never really break me out, so if I'm out of olive oil, I'll use canola, sweet almond, or whatever oil I have on hand - they all work the same for me. I think I'll try adding some honey to it next time.
Also, oil doesn't dissolve the sugar, so you can actually make a good sized container & leave it in the bathroom, rather than making a batch every time you want to use it.
** The trick if you're going to use on your face is to rub gently, don't try to scrub with it, just sort of rub it gently for about minute or less, and use a little less sugar & more oil than for your body, since the face is naturally more sensitive. My face is really sensitive & can't handle much scrubbing, and this works well for me.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/20/2011 3:55:00 AM More reviews by ScoutJ

Didn't like this at all. Tried it as a sensitive skin exfoliator, but didn't enjoy it in the slightest. Tried mixed with cleanser and mixed with yoghurt, and both times found the sugar too abrasive and yet not abrasive enough (ie; felt like it was scratching my skin, without actually getting rid of all of the dry bits).

Free, so no probs, but won't be doing it again. On the upside, I found myself licking my lips in the shower and enjoying it (when it was mixed with yoghurt), which inspired me to go and eat a yoghurt mixed with brown sugar. Very nice.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2010 9:20:00 PM More reviews by Dimplesgalore

UPDATE 2/2/11
Turns out EVOO clogs my skin if used to heavely or to often. The sugar scrub is still wonderful, although baking soda is now my #1. No points docked, just wanted to share about the EVOO issue in my recipe.
END UPDATE

I mixed brown sugar with a little bit of EVOO and some Lavender EO. This mixture lives in my shower and when I use it my skin is super soft and smooth.
My skin is sensitive to chemicals, but not to physical "abuse" so I scrub rather hard (never on my face) on damp skin. This keeps my skin hydrated all winter with out needing to use lotion after drying off. I also like to think its helping with circulation and detoxification.....but who knows.