October 23, 2014 | 909 users online

Top/Base Coats - Revlon - Colorstay Longwear Nail Enamel - Base Coat [DISCONTINUED]

image 0image 1image 2

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2014 12:38:00 AM More reviews by pinkpanther88

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a review of Revlon ColorStay Longwear Nail Enamel 005 Base Coat. I painted my right hand's nails with this base coat, two coats of Sally Hansen's Insta-Dry color, and one coat of Revlon ColorStay Sealing Shine 2. I did my left hand the same except I did not use this base coat (or any base coat).

4 days later, there was a marked difference between hands: the base coat hand (right hand, and I am right-handed) had NO CHIPS whatsoever! The non-base-coat hand (left hand) had tons of chips.

So I am now in love with this base coat! (as well as the Revlon ColorStay Sealing Shine and the Sally Hansen Insta-Dry color). I've never had my nail polish last for more than 2 days (usually only 1) without chips. Yay!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2013 4:51:00 PM More reviews by christnal

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a great base coat. Keeps my at home mani perfect for about 3 days before I start to see any type of wear on the tips and I type all day so I think that is pretty good. Also it makes taking dark colors off sooo much easier!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2013 4:29:00 PM More reviews by Jayyhoang

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

love this base and the corresponding top coat! my nails looked perfect (essie's bahama mama) for an entire week. i was shocked. i usually use OPI's top and base coats, or essies's, or other salon recommended brands. but they all chip within 2-3 days. this just works! but i hate the brush

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2013 12:45:00 PM More reviews by MICROPEEN

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a very good basecoat. I used to love Orly Bonder, but this one is even better. I've noticed that it adds 2-3 chip free days beyond what Bonder used to do. It will look perfect for 2 days, I'll start to see tip wear on the third day and small chips by day 4-5. That's pretty good wear for me.

I don't use this alone, I use a strengthening basecoat first like Duri Rejuvacote or Essie's protein one. My topcoat of choice has been Seche Vite for years.

Also, I gave packaging 2 lippies, because the whole confusion of one version of this having the word 'gel' on it and the other one not is annoying and Revlon needs to be consistent with labeling. From what I understand both are the exact same thing. The bottle and everything else is actually fine.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/16/2013 12:10:00 PM More reviews by Jesamyn

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I usually use Essie First Base with Out the Door top coat and get 5-6 days chip-free, though I'm looking for alternatives as I think the First Base is contributing to drying my nails out. I got the Gel-smooth version to check out the hype. I think this base coat is just incompatible with my nails. I typically wipe my nails with polish remover before painting, to make sure I don't have any oil/lotion/whatever on them. Even after doing that with this base coat, my polish would peel off in sheets within 3-4 days.

I tried rubbing in coconut oil as well. After rubbing it in and wiping away the excess, my polish took hours to cure. If it did cure before I gave up and removed the manicure, my polish still peeled away within days.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2013 7:40:00 PM More reviews by inkyblaine

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

Believe the hype! When I do my nails myself it never lasts longer than 2 days, I have tried all base coat/ top coat combos you could think of. I have had REALLY good luck with this base coat. I plan to pick up the top coat soon, but in the meantime I have been using Essies 3 in 1 base/top coat as the top coat which seems to work well with revlon gel coat.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2013 5:46:00 PM More reviews by lilysdoll

The new No.5 in town! This stuff is great. Really makes my polish stay on for days. No chips. Its the best basecoat I have tried so far. And I have tried many..Posche, Essie, Orly, Sally Hansen, OPI, and even the expensive pink Gelcoat stuff. This outperforms them all. I have back up bottles. The price is great. Easy to find and often times its on sale. Awesome product. I am so glad I saw some of you girls talking about it here and gave it a shot. MUA rocks! Thanks guys!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2013 8:59:00 PM More reviews by niclyf

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'll gladly add to the exceptional reviews on this base coat! Prior to picking this up, I was using OPI Ridge Filler, which worked fine, but wasn't anything fabulous.

Revlons base coat is amazing! I get at least 10 Days with no chips & little to no tip wear. I've had mani's that have lasted 15 days! I can't rave enough about this product! I've started stock piling it so that I never run out!! continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2013 4:30:00 AM More reviews by emxs

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

The raves are true. If you use this base coat, your polish will STAY ON, period. I used it a few days ago with a color from the Sally Hansen Hard as Nails collection, didn't even bother to use a top coat, and my nail color still hasn't even begun to chip. I've never used a nail color that stayed completely chip free until now. Usually the first signs of chipping always appear after showering with me, but even multiple showers haven't begun to show any wear and tear in my color with this stuff.

There are two words of advice I'd give before using this base coat, though. The first is just to be aware that this stuff takes forever to dry. The second is to WORK QUICKLY if you're using this stuff. I'm sort of a slow poke when it comes to applying polish, and I've noticed that with this base coat, if you don't finish the job on your nail pretty quickly, the polish will goop up and look crappy. Other than those two things, I love this base.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2013 11:30:00 AM More reviews by kupo_baby

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This is the hyped up base coat. Newer bottles say "gel" somewhere on the label.

On it own, this doesn't thrill me. But paired with the matching top coat my polish lasts 5+ days with no chips & no tip wear. Very impressive, esp since I do a lot of dishes every day