Makeup Geek Eyeshadow (All)

3.7

Ingredients: Mica, Isoeicosane, Polyisobutene May Contain: Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Boron Nitride, Kaolin, Polyethylene, PTFE, Nylon-12, Magnesium Stearate, Zinc Oxide, Silica, Synthetic Wax, Lauroyl Lysine, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Methicone, Dimethicone, Iron Oxides CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, Chromium Hydroxide Green CI 77289, Ultramarines CI 77007, Titanium Dioxide CI 77891, Bismuth Oxychloride CI 77163, Manganese Violet CI 77742dc Black No. 2 CI 77266, C13-16 Isoparaffin, C12-C14 Isoparaffin, C13-C15 Alkane, Carmine CI 75470, Chromium Oxide Greens CI 77288, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide CI 77510, Ferric Ferrocyanide CI 77510, Blue 1 Lake CI 42090, Yellow 5 Lake CI 19140, Red 6 Lake CI 15850, Tin Oxide, Zinc Stearate

I think it is silly how many people are hating on this brand. If you are seasoned at doing makeup you know how buttery this eye shadow is. If you have the appropriate tools for the job these are the PERFECT eye shadows to learn how to blend with. They are affordable, ship fast, and are fantastic quality.

I bought 4 shades and have to say I was disappointed in their quality. Then again, it might not have been possible for them to live up to all the hype! All the shades I purchased were mattes, and I found them to be disappointingly sheer (and I'm very pale). It seems like the shimmery shades might be more pigmented based on other reviews I've read. I think these shadows would compare favorably to many drugstore brands, especially since there aren't that many great matte options at the drugstore. Compared to my Laura Mercier Artist Palette, however, the quality of MUG shadows is definitely inferior. Unless you find shades that you'll use quite often, they end up being kind of expensive. It'll cost $24 to create a quad, and if you need a Z palette to put them in, that's another $14. It's true that you get a lot of product, but this won't matter to someone who rarely or never hits pan. (I've only ever done that with a couple base shades and maybe a matte crease color.) The shadows I purchased are Unexpected, Baby Face, High Tea and Barcelona Beach; like I said, they were all sheer. I was impressed with how quickly my order was processed and shipped.

ETA 1/23/16: I had to downgrade my rating from 3 to 2, as I continue to be disappointed each time I try to use these shadows, regardless of the techniques, tools or primers I employ. If so many people are honestly raving about them, it could be because (a) other shades are better than the ones I bought, (b) there are quality variations between batches of the same shade, and/or (c) they don't have experience with superior shadows. I feel that there are better, more cost-effective options out there. (To put things in perspective, a Viseart palette of 12 shadows is $80; 12 regular MUG shadows cost $72 and don't come in a palette.)

I am very not impressed by these shadows at all. Maybe because of all the hype everywhere and the great reviews. But these are very powdery , hard to blend and look kinda patchy on my eyes. They swatch beautiful , but does not look very nice one the eyes. I guess i would say they are average. Nothing i would run out and get , and i would not buy again. Very sad because i really wanted to love them. I would go for a lorac pro or some urban decay shadows.

Save $$ and purchase a $7 Sewlutions Art Bin @ Hobby Lobby instead of a Z Palette.

It's slim for easy travel and holds 18 MUG shadows, use the 40% coupon that Hobby Lobby offers and pay a little over $4.

☆☆☆ IT COMES ALREADY MAGNITIZED☆☆☆

So im not fan of Mac shadows and therefore I was hesitant to try these. Im fan of Hot pots by Coastal Scents, I own 180+ hot pots(satin,shimmer,matte), a dollar each and theyre amazing quality.
So I bought 3 of the foiled eyeshadows flamethrower, houdini and masquerade, and the hyped insomnia pigment. Honestly they don't even compare to the quality of the hot pots. So inferior!
The foiled shadows form that hard film on their surface - looks like there was too much oil used to press them - they look like pigments on the pan but "wet" in a bad way. There are shimmer hot pots By Coastal Scents that are pressed pigments (like Pure Bronze) and theres no fall out and they work amazing. Idk whats the exact cause but these foiled ones are hard to work with. Houdini was a bit better. As for the insomnia pigment I was so so disappointed. The packaging is inconvenient with that hole in the middle - I removed it. The pigment isn't anything impressive, not as metallic as I like my pigments to be. I purchase amazing metallic and sparkly pigments from a little web shop DeviantCosmetics on Fb - check them out theyre priced 2.50 each only, and theyre amazing quality. MUG is another overrated brand marketed as hell successful at selling mediocrity for profit.

I don't understand how people are saying they aren't pigmented or long lasting? I put cream eyeshadow underneath for primer trip to London 14 hours later still looking great! Great value for money

I've been really pleased with the shades I've purchased. Barcelona beach and beaches and cream are my favorites. I can't quite figure out what to to with Preppy. No quality complaints.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Makeup Geek eyeshadows (both the regular and the foiled) are among my most used eyeshadows as they are very smooth and blendable and the shade range is very good. I would compare them to MAC although I prefer MAC due to the large shade range.
I have always had fantastic customer service from the company and when I received a foiled eyeshadow that was damaged, they quickly send me a replacement. They are always very quick to respond to my questions.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Pros:
- Relatively cheap.

Cons:
- Powdery texture/too much fallout/blends away into nothingness.
- Lack of pigment.
- Uneven application.

I am another sucker who got caught up in the YouTube hype. I almost never buy things on impulse, but a beautiful redhead on YouTube with a similar skin tone to mine tried on a bunch of these colors and they were just too pretty on her. They are not pretty on me -- they barely even show up on me!

I don't get the hype over these at all. The formula for these shadows is pretty mediocre. Not the worst I've ever tried, but definitely what I think of as drugstore quality. The texture of these shadows is similar to baby powder, not a good thing. It's too soft. There is always tons of fallout on application and it blends away too easily. It reminds me of a cheap Revlon palette I have where the product has the odd quality of wanting to stick more to itself than skin it applies to. It has a super smooth, silicone like feeling to it, which seems to slide right off, collect in creases, and make for patchy results. Even with primer I was unhappy with the pigmentation and it did not improve the blending situation.

I bought a bunch of the nude matte colors. The only one that I think is usable is creme brulee and only because it's the most pigmented. I have other similar brown colors by MAC and LORAC with better texture, payoff, and longevity. Even though they cost 3 times as much, I have hit pan on only a few and I'm infinitely more likely to use them than the Makeup Geek stuff. Not worth it.

PLEASE STOP WASTING YOUR MONEY ON THIS COMPANY! I will be the first to admit I got sucked in by watching hours upon hours of YouTube beauty gurus raving about this product so I decided to support this start up makeup company and seeing as the shadows were inexpensive and pigment payoff seemed great, I had no hesitation. I spent $236.40 on just eyeshadows (both her regular and foiled) and how I regret it! Don't get me wrong some of her products are good but her company ethics are dismal! I took the time out of my day to write a very constructive critic on one of her newly launched eyeshadow's named 'Poppy' it just didn't perform like her other matte colors she had. It was very chalky and hard to blend. I have already spent $193 on orders at this point and I felt like a company should take criticism from a good customer, did they ever post that review? Absolutely not! The company filters all the reviews and only posts positive reviews for all their products, especially the eyeshadows. I could of bought AT LEAST 4 Dior quint eyeshadow palettes with the amount of money I've given to Marlena. Also the performance of these eyeshadows are NOT Mac. There is a reason why Mac is a well-known global brand and Makeup Geek is a brand that will forever stay in the bubble of YouTube. Please think twice about purchasing from this company we may have another Lime Crime scam on our hands.