April 16, 2014 | 1403 users online

Sunscreen - L'Oreal - Sublime Sun Advanced Sunscreen Liquid Silk Sunshield For Face SPF 50

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2013 9:11:00 PM More reviews by joiseygirl27

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This was greasy & caused breakouts so I had to discontinue use of it. There are much better sunscreens out there.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/15/2013 3:34:00 PM More reviews by Rainy917

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow, I hate to rain on the love fest for this sunscreen, but I totally hated it. First off if you have dry skin don't even bother trying this product, it just dries it out even more and accentuates the flaws on your face. I have been using La Roche Posay anthelios W 30 SPF gel for months now and I LOVE it, but it cost $25 plus shipping so I wanted to try something else, so I bought the Sublime ss. I put this sunscreen on my face once and broke out immediately,I'm assuming its because of the silicone used in the formula. Aside from that, it burnt my face and eyes really badly, I'm guessing because of the massive amounts of alcohol used in it...ugh! Needless to say I'll be sticking with then La Roche Posay it's HG for me!

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/10/2013 12:16:00 PM More reviews by curlykat

Oh how I'm so very happy to have found this product! I'm always on the search for a great sunscreen and I tend to use the physical over chemical as I usually break out. NO breakouts with this product after a week and I'm usually affected within 24 hrs.

I've used it for over a week and at Disney where the sun was blazing. I echo pretty much what all of the good reviews have said.

The Good:
1) It's smooth as silk. My skin glows all day but it's NOT shiny. It does definitely have a primer feel to it. I have combination skin and I find I have to use moisturizer underneath my eyes and forehead otherwise it's too drying but it's not a problem at all.

2) Dries instantly. You have time to blend but there is no waiting for it to sink in before applying makeup. NO white cast and NO shine at all. Just a little dab does the trick.

3) Excellent coverage. I burnt part of my shoulder and back but my face was not affected at all. And that's with not reapplying during the day.

The Not so Good:

1) Product is a pain to apply. The liquidity is annoying but doable. I'd rather the product work excellent - which it does and have the application be a pain than the other way around.

2) Bottle is small. Because you only need a quarter sized amount it will probably last a while but for $10 the size should be bigger. Again at least it works beautifully and I'll take this con.

3) Product tends to pool outside the tip even after you screw the top tight.

Here are my tips.

- Use moisturizer if you have dry/comb skin
- if you're out on the beach or at a park, put one application on and then immediately a 2nd of the same amount right on top. This is enough to prevent you from getting red/burnt. This is what I did at Disney. For most days in the office, one application in the AM is fine.

I absolutely love it and have been complimented on my skin since I began using it.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/9/2013 6:02:00 PM More reviews by Jhulagurl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is an ok SPF. It does leave a GREASY film on the face, which feels gross and slimy during the day. It definitely does not leave a matte/dry to the touch finish which is what I look for in a good face sunscreen. The neutrogena spf 70 liquid is better and leaves a matte finish.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/26/2013 9:28:00 AM More reviews by brighteyes22

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It was ok. Felt kind of greasy on my face. Not a fan, but the bottom line is I broke out terribly!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2013 4:44:00 PM More reviews by seacolourr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Whoo Hooo! Oily skin girls can rejoice! The prefect sunscreen for those with oily skin! This product is phenomenal. This goes on super liquid-y but dries matte and really helps your makeup stay on all day. While this is a chemical sunscreen, which i ultimately don't prefer over zinc oxide. I don't find that it burns my eyes like a lot of other sunscreens do. It also doesn't have an overpowering scent, as most chemical sunscreens do. The bottle is quite small and you don't get a great amount of product for the price, especially considering that you're meant to use it every single day, and perhaps even multiple times a day. I don't think that issue would deter me from purchasing it again though. It has just been wonderful to implement into my new daily routine. I have even stopped using a primer because i find this holds my makeup so well, which means, if you have dry skin you might want to make sure you moisturize extra before applying this.

Pros:
Mattifying
No harsh smell
Doesn't burn skin or eyes
Doesn't break me out
Not oily
No white cast
Protects well (went to an all day event, and forgot to use sunscreen on body, everywhere was burnt except my face)

Cons:
Chemical sunscreen
Small bottle for price
Kind of hard to get used to applying because it's so liquidy

Overall I'd really recommend this to those in the market for a new sunscreen. I will keep repurchasing until I find a non chemical sunscreen that works just as well.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2013 12:05:00 AM More reviews by 80sglamrock

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is one of the best sunscreens I've ever used. I've been using La Roche Posay for years but I was never happy at how heavy they all felt. This however is the only high SPF sunscreen I've ever used that didn't feel heavy on my skin or feel like I was wearing a mask. This is super light & blends in perfectly, you don't feel it at all- which almost gives it a HG status for me. The only slight downside is that if I don't wear a good moisturizer underneath, it can a be a bit drying but so far this is the best sunscreen I've ever tried. If you need a high SPF that feels like you're wearing nothing at all, this is a must.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2013 6:32:00 PM More reviews by Pinky911

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought this based on other very positive reviews and I'm glad I did. I must confess, I'm almost 34 and I've never worn sunscreen on a daily basis. I know, I know...probably tons of wrinkles I could have prevented, but I was always SO overwhelmed by bad skin and break outs and terrified to try a sunscreen for fear it would make me break out. That and I have fairly olive skin and I don't burn easily. Still...no excuse.
Well, this stuff works. It applies thinly and evenly (under make up, but over or in-place-of moisturizer) and doesn't streak my foundation or cause me any kind of break out. Miracle of Miracles!! So, you may be asking (or not), why is this lady suddenly converting to daily sunscreen usage? Welp. I am using some pretty severe products. BHA, AHA, and soon I may try a retinol product. All of these products make your skin soooo sensitive to the sun, so when I saw glowing reviews for a 50 SPF suncreen I had to try it. I'm trying to get my skin in better shape for a week long camping trip with friends this July. I hate the idea of always sneaking off to apply concealer or foundation in the morning to cover a nasty break out during these type of vacations. Meanwhile, some of the other women (and all the men) seem to wake up with nauturally glowing skin (acne free, scar free, dang it...how not to hate you, haha). So, I decided to take some serious action. In addition to using specified skin care products (see my other reviews...Paula's Choice BHA and AHA), I am committed to leaving my face alone (no touching and no picking) and wearing less and less make up every day...(foundation/concealer...I love my mascara and eye make up) and religously applying sunscreen EVERY DAY.

05/20/13: Update: stopped using this as I started breaking out. :( However, currently using a powder suncreen (Jane Iredale) and works much better on my skin>..

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2012 7:56:00 PM More reviews by Endit

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the second high PPD sunscreen I've tried so far.

PROS: Fragrance free, light feeling, good under makeup, and I haven't had any breakouts from it I think (my skin goes though periods of super clear like on it's own, I don't think this has contributed). Like any sunscreen or silicone product, you can feel it, but it doesn't feel suffocating or heavy. The packaging is really good too. It has an eyedropper like opening and it doesn't disperse tons at once. You can tip it upside down and a single drop will come out at a time (quickly, but not that fast). Reasonably priced too.

CONS: Definitely a liquid. It is super runny. It was odd to get used to and I was using too much when I started. This isn't a con for me, but when I apply this, I can only do it in sections. If I attempt to dot my face and blend them all together, it just doesn't work as well, like most of it has already evaporated and now there's nothing left to spread it around with (see below).

OTHER: The reason this feels so light is because a large part of it evaporates and "condenses" what remains. The first 3 ingredients are designed to disappear. Water naturally evaporates, cyclopentasiloxane is a carrier silicone that evaporates, and alcohol denat rapidly evaporates (due to why it's used to clean electronics - it never leaves residue. It also helps the water evaporate faster). The alcohol also helps the product penetrate a little deeper and shrinks the thickness of everything when it evaporates. The problem however is that alcohol denat is drying by nature. For some this may be irritating and I don't really like having it present. Alcohol denat can also attach itself to other alcohols and beneficial ingredients and evaporate those as well. And make sure you really really shake this SS before use. I shake mine with all my energy for like 6 seconds before I use it. If you don't it is greasy and doesn't absorb so well.

OVERALL: I can see why this is highly rated. This is a light formula that I can picture working well on most skin. The evaporation combined with the silica help to reduce any greasy/heavy feeling, though it might be too much for some dry skin. I would purchase it again, but of course I will always look for new products regardless (especially alternatives that act similar, just have no alcohol denat).

17 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2012 5:20:00 AM More reviews by maliciousdelicious

As someone who has oily dark skin that develops breakouts and dark spots easily and who lives in a hot humid polluted city, it's been a huge challenge to find a non-greasy sunscreen that doesn't leave a white cast and doesn't break me out.

I started scouring MUA reviews and trying out all the top rated sunscreens one by one. It's no surprise that all the top rated sunscreens specialise in being non-oily. I first took a stab at the Japanese sunscreens, trying out both the Biore mousse and milk. You can read my reviews of both these products. In a nutshell, while they gave me a great non-oily finish, they also tended to block my pores because they contain silicones. They are however fairly cheap and can be used on areas like the forehead and nose where I don't break out as much.

After all these disappointments, I decided to splurge on Chanel. I bought a sample of UV Essentiel and found it to be amazing enough for me to splurge on a full size bottle. Again, you can read my separate review.

However, using Chanel on a forever basis is a bit beyond my budget. While I would continue using it if I had no other option, I decided to try this highly rated sunscreen a well. You do not get it where I live yet, but I managed to get it online. Firstly, it needs to be shaken THOROUGHLY. The first time I used it, I didn't shake it much and the effects were quite different from the time I shook it properly.

My initial impressions:

- Spreads easily
- Great truly silky finish and touch
- Really non-oily coverage. I went to a make-up counter and they actually refused to believe I have oily skin
- A nice glow without any white cast whatsoever (even on my NC 42 skin)
- A high SPF
- A lot of product in the bottle which should really last
- Sunscreen smell - but not too bad

The not so good news: I have very sensitive skin especially around my mouth and chin and I do feel it has become somewhat irritated since I started using it (3 days). Sigh! But I will continue using it for a while to be certain that it's the fault of the sunscreen and not the hyper stress I am going though these days.

For this reason, I have not rated this product as highly as I could have but look for another update in a couple of weeks. I am dying for this to work on me.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No