December 19, 2014 | 857 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - Mariposa Palette (Sephora Exclusive)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/11/2012 6:59:00 PM More reviews by littleann818

This palette is definitely more out there as compared to Urban Decay's Naked and Naked 2 palette (which are more useful for everyday). I bought this palette because I wanted a variety of colors to add to my eyeshadow collection. The main colors I use are skimp, mushroom, and teal blue color (not sure what it's called). I also sometimes use some of the darker colors to add onto my eyeliner for a more defined look. I don't use this palette as often as I would like to. I would not buy this palette again since this one will probably last me a long time.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2012 5:17:00 PM More reviews by lsuchick

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I wouldnt but this again, because it will last a long time and once you buy a palette i feel you should move on to another one and then buy a specific color from a palette if you really likes it. I find the tin if cute any great for traveling I also like the mini brush it comes with. This was my third UD purchase, first eyeshadow from them though. They have amazing eyeshadows, Well worth the money in my opinion.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2012 9:32:00 PM More reviews by Nekura

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this palette but I agree with the reviews below... The color selection in this palette isn't of your typical Urban Decay palettes which often are either very bold or too glitterbombs. Instead the colors are unique take on subtle smokey colors. With this said, I find the combination very unique. I used to love Urban Decay when I was younger and I still do but as the years past, I find myself stepping away from the super bold looks so while Urban Decay shadows are of great quality, the color selection doesn't always draw to me anymore.

The shadows in Mariposa are shimmery but there isn't one chunk of glitter in this palette. There's no fallout and all the shadows are great at creating a very -soft- smokey eye instead of a super pigmented "club" time smokey eye. I had this palette since the holidays and it sat on my counter ignored because it didn't look that interesting minus the tin but upon using it, I find this to be one of the more unique Urban Decay palettes out there. There is a good mix of neutrals, some smokey greys, and a few pop of colors along with a highlight color that isn't glittery or overly metallic. If you're someone like me who has a style of makeup that's in the mid-road where it's not overly natural but doesn't want to have party makeup during the day anymore, then this is something to consider. The packaging is nice too, a sturdy metal tin with a hinge, very compact and not a waste of space like many of the other Urban Decay palettes. I haven't had issues opening this either, you just need to get a hang of it. The only reason why I didn't give this a full 5 is that there isn't any sort of dark accent shade. If there was a deep black/grey/brown in this shade, it would be perfect.

NC20 w/ brown eyes for ref.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2012 11:08:00 AM More reviews by isavella

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am iffy on this product and considering returning it. I think at this point, we can all agree that UD shadows (barring individual discrepancies) are of excellent quality, and the palettes great bang for your buck. When I saw the Mariposa palette in the gilded light of a Sephora counter, my soul in the clutches of vanity and hazy cosmetic madness, on PAYDAY NO LESS, I had to have it. The shades all looked like neutrals with a twist, shimmery pastels, bronzes and gilded shades, brights. It is an extremely seductive effect. In reality, I can't really see myself using this enough to warrant keeping it...I hardly ever use the top row (except for Wreckage, which is the best shade in the palette, and one of my fave UD shadows ever, hence my indecisiveness). The purple is also nice, but not a necessity for me. The bottom row has Money, a great shade that is similar to the light shade in the NARS Habanera duo and also reminds me of UD Green Goddess shadow (both of which I have). Spotlight and Limelight are okayyyyyy in quality, def not the stars of the show here, and I have similar colors in my arsenal. Mushroom is also one of the better ones - it's a dark shimmery taupe, and while I like it better, I also have similar shadows in my stash. The tin is a bitch to open and has no mirror. The brush is good quality but a useless shape for me. The quantity of each individual shadow is skimpy. Buy this if you like shimmery silvered neutrals, pastels and brights and don't have similar shades lying around. It doesn't even have the handiness of the Naked palette, since even though I have lots of similar neutrals on hand, that one lays them all together conveniently for daily looks. I don't think this is one of UD's essential palettes. Bottom line!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/31/2011 12:21:00 PM More reviews by Shimmershocked

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

This palette is not for me. Ive noticed that I don't reach for it very often when doing my makeup. The quality and pigmentation is excellent as expected from UD. But since the colors are mainly dark, I dont often use them. I do love to use skimp as a highlight color though! I'd recommend this palette to someone with more experience with makeup or someone who likes to create a more dramatic eye look.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2011 8:21:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

For the sake of the colour Mushroom, I considered buying this palette, even though I have several of the other shadows already. I was surprised, though, when I saw it, by how puny the shadow pans are. This makes the palette quite pricey for the amount of product you get, compared to the value offered by other UD palettes. But my daughter was given the Mariposa palette for Xmas (she wanted Naked - which I did get her - but someone gave her this in error). She wasn't thrilled with it so gave it to me. I have to say that I love some of the shadows in it - Mushroom, of course, and Wreckage, as well as some of the others I already own. So, from that POV, I would consider this something worthy of repurchase. I've seen other comments about how sheer the shadows are but I've found the ones I've used so far to be well pigmented and to show up as I'd wish (over a primer). And so far, I haven't encountered the really problematic UD glitter fall-out, which is nice (I've had a bit but nothing like you get with some of the worst UD "offenders"). My only real complaint - besides the small size of the shadows - is how bloody difficult it is to open the palette. Mine may be a fluke but it is darned difficult to open without the risk of having the whole thing fall out my hands and drop to the floor so now, I always open it over a soft surface just in case.

Final verdict: not a "must have" palette by any means but certainly a nice one to have.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/10/2011 10:24:00 AM More reviews by myanimalhome

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm still very much on the fence about this pallete. This is my first Urban Decay palette, and even my first UD shadows. I'm not very impressed, but here's a thorough review for anyone interested in buying it:

PACKAGING: The tin container is significantly smaller than I was expecting it to be. It's just a little bigger than an iPhone in both length and height. The packaging is very pretty though, the outside container is tin, and engraved with a gorgeous butterfly design. The inside part that holds the eyeshadow is sturdy cardboard that's printed with a purple and white butterfly design.

Shadows (top row, L-R)
Rockstar: This is a pretty eggplant-purple with very small and sparse gold flecks of sparkle. The pigmentation is okay, not too great. When built up though, it is pretty, and would look great for a touch of color in a smokey eye. I've noticed that from far away it looks kind of black though, and not purple.

Gunmetal: Apparently this shadow is in practically all UD palettes. Personally, I don't like it much. It's just a sparkly grey/black color - there's nothing especially special about it. I don't wear colors as dark as this, so it has gone relatively untouched, but if you wear dark eyeshadow colors you might like this.

Skimp: This is a light peachy-beige color, with again, small flecks of gold sparkle. The pigmentation is relatively good, but because it's such a light color, once you place it on your eyes it pretty much dissapears. I like to use it in my tearduct to give a very subtle highlight, but it's hardly noticeable. If you have pale skin like me, this shadow probably won't do you much good.

Infamous: This is a very bright hot fuschia pink in the pan, but the pigmentation is poor. If you want the color in the pan on your lid, you're really going to have to pack it on. If you apply it normally, without packing it on, it's a sheer dark pink/red. In my opinion, not flattering.

Wreckage: This is my favorite color in the palette. I am honestly considering keeping the palette just for this color, because it is one of the exclusive shades to this palette. It's a pearly brown color, and has great pigmentation. It does have those gold sparkles that the other colors have as well. I use it as a crease-to-brow-bone color, and it bring a great shadow to my eyes, and is just dark enough to make my blue/green eyes pop and look very sultry. Love it!

(bottom row, L-R)
Haight: This is a bright teal color with sparkles, that surprisingly has great pigmentation. I can't really use it, the color isn't anything I have a time to use where it seems right. If you like brights, this could be a great shadow for you.

Money: I haven't used this color yet, so I can't give an honest opinion. It seems very popular though, from reading other reviews on sephora.com. It's kind of a sea-foam light green/grey.

Mushroom: This is a dark taupe color, and not one I really use because taupe doesn't look very good on me. It also seems to be a popular color, but I think it's one that really depends on your own preference.

Spotlight/Limelight: I'm reviewing these two colors together, because they both have similar problems. Both shadows have very poor pigmentation, are very dry, and have even worse fallout. They look gorgeous in the pan, both being nice gold colors, but to be able to acheive that color, you have to seriously pack it on, and by then the entire area underneath your eyes is covered in glitter. I'm really dissapointed in these colors.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/6/2011 7:21:00 AM More reviews by camerrim

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've just discovered Urban decay eyeshadows and LOVE them. I bought the naked, 15th aniversary, ammo and this pallate within the last month (I have a slight self control problem).I really love how this pallate brings out the green in my hazel eyes, and I imagine it would really work for green eyed girls too. Haight (a very pigmented teal) and money (a silvery green that is very unique) look great together. I havn't tried the other shades, but I'm so in love with money that I had to write a rave review.
FYI: NO mirror and the brush is useless but he shadows are worth it to me.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/31/2011 2:30:00 PM More reviews by Lauren710

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this kind of impulsively during the Sephora Friends and Family sale as one of my first UD palettes. The price seemed good for 10 UD shadows, and I'm a little conservative with my eyeshadow color choice still so I liked that it came with a variety of neutrals plus a few funky/brighter colors. 6 of the 10 are repromotes from previous palettes or part of the permanent line, they're all fine to me - just what I've come to expect from UD, nicely pigmented, easy to apply, blend well (almost too well). Of the 4 shades that are new, 2 of them kinda suck (Spotlight and Limelight - I don't see much difference between the two when applied, they're kind of gritty and have a bunch of fallout). Infamous is pretty but goes on very sheer, you need to pack on a few layers before you see anything, and Wreckage is pretty similar to a few of the shades in the Naked palette. I swatched it next to Darkhorse, Smog, and Half-Baked and it looks somewhere in between those shades - not an exact match to any of them, but not anything special either.

The tin is cute. I like that the colors were arranged so that they could be used as quads, although I don't know that I'll actually use them that way (1st and 2nd column, 2nd and 3rd column, etc.). The brush kinda sucks, it's pretty soft but doesn't pick up color very well and it's a silly short travel size. Overall this is a nice starter palette for someone just getting into UD, I gave it 4 stars because I'm pretty happy with what I got for 20% off, but if you have other palettes already it's not really worth going out of your way to pick up.

Edit 11/27: I just figured out how to edit my reviews, ha.. I ended up returning this about a month ago, I wasn't impressed enough to keep it for just two shades out of 10 that I really loved (Money and Mushroom). Leaving my 4-lippie rating because the quality is decent, especially for the price, but I ended up buying the Naked and 15 year anniversary palettes and I'm much happier with those.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/25/2011 6:30:00 PM More reviews by sarabelle789

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Urban Decay's eyeshadows are the best. In my mind, there's absolutely no competition - every one I own, I lovelovelove.
...But, their packaginggggg!
The cool-lookin' tin is hard to open, and one of these days when I do open it, I know I'm going to have a thumbnail full of eyeshadow. (I'll have to find a way to fix it.)