August 27, 2014 | 1777 users online

Palettes - TheBalm - The Balm and the Beautiful Face Palette

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2011 1:29:00 AM More reviews by Oknowbe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I found this palette *unmolested* at TJMaxx. Of course I had to bring it home, especially for only $19.99! I wore three of the shadows today and one of the cream blushes. It's now 10 hours later and the colors are still as vibrant as they were when I put them on! The shadows are finely milled and blend beautifully. I did use some UDPP with them as a base, though. I'm really impressed with how long the cream blush has lasted, usually those fade on me by the end of the day--especially if I don't use a powder blush over them. I didn't use a powder blush over this one, just set my foundation with some powder and then put the blush on over it.
Great selection of colors, long lasting, nice quality...awesome price. What more could you ask for?! Nab it if you see it at your local TJMaxx!!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/19/2011 12:02:00 PM More reviews by trautman

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I too picked this up at TJ Maxx for $20... Personally I don't get the hype of this brand and palette. Don't get me wrong...It's a good palette. The shadows are pigmented and I do like them. The packaging is cute, but the palette is big and awkward to use and wouldn't travel well. I wouldn't go out of my way to find this or pay the full $40...I would pay the extra money for the new makeup forever palette:)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2011 7:44:00 AM More reviews by tiddleywinks

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Score! I was over the moon to find this at TJ Maxx for $19 and I'm kinda loving it. Oddly, it isn't supposed to be released for a few more weeks, but TJ Maxx has them in advance. This is a fantastic palette - those of you who weep with me over the loss of MAC Coco taupe will be pleased with the lovely taupe in this palette. Quality, blendability, and lasting power are just dandy; I wear them without a primer, but I do have a bit of foundation on my eyelids. They last all day without creasing and stay true to color. The green is wonderful, love the purple, and hey! I like the cheek/lip stains, too. I appreciate the fact that they have separate closures over the shadows and the stains. I would be happy to purchase this again, and am delighted to report that finding this saved me from the giant lemming over the LE Muppet palette that TheBalm is releasing, said to be a duplicate with alternate packaging. Would I like the Muppet theme better? Probably. But from a practical standpoint, this palette is a better buy.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2011 10:25:00 PM More reviews by thecharm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

TheBalm's holiday 2011 palette, The Balm and the Beautiful, is a fun collection that's a pretty good value. For those (four or five) of you who don't know, The Balm and the Beautiful is a reissue of the Muppet (VERY) LE palette by TheBalm, "Cast Your Shadow" (review: http://makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=146468/Cast-Your-Shadow-Palette-The-Muppets/TheBalm/Palettes) so the information in that review will apply to this product as well. Instead of a Muppet theme, the names in this palette are inspired by soap opera character tropes--"The Guy Who Died But Didn't Really Die" is by far my favorite.

I got this at TJ Maxx for 19.99$ but I think regular retail is upwards of 40$. This is a STEAL for 19.99$, and it's still not bad for 40$. Having seen pictures of Cast Your Shadow and The Balm and the Beautiful online, it's bigger in person than I thought it would be. It's significantly bigger than, say, a Shady Lady palette, which has 9 shadows (and most are reissued from the line while these are new shades.)
You get 16 good size shadows, two lip/cheek stains, and a lip gloss.
The cardboard packaging looks like a book, with a picture of a TV screen on the front. The palette flips open and shut magnetically with two flaps: one that covers the shadows and one that covers the cream products.

The quality is good: the shadows are soft and pigmented and the lasting power is fine on me with a base. There's some dust and fallout with the glittery ones (The Bad Boy and The Older Woman especially) but nothing too ghastly.

I'm a real fan of the collection of shadows here aside from the fact that I wish there were more matte and satiny shades (all have some shimmer, some have glitter and some are frosty... especially the pale shades.). There's variety, but it's also cohesive and there are tons of possible combinations: TheBalm even has "recipes" for four looks, starring the "cast of characters"--the eyeshadows.

There are quite a few neutrals, a few purplish variations, a few blue/gray variations, and some greens. So, if you like cool colors, this would be a good choice. I have blue eyes, and I think this palette is really flattering. But then, I think that the colors in this palette would flatter all eye colors.

The shades are:
The Oil Tycoon: ruddy, satiny brown
The Estranged Mom: antiqued, satiny dark olive-gold... kind of khaki, but more glamorous. I love this one!
The Supermodel: Warm, pearly gold that isn't too bronze or orange for my cool skintone.
The Bad Boy: Deep brown with kind of a cool plum undertone and gold glitter. I really wish this didn't have obvious gold glitter, because it's a really striking dark color. If you're fine with glitter, you'll probably use it a lot more than I do.
The Southern Belle: This reminds me of blue jeans--a medium denim blue with a pearly finish
The Mother-In-Law: Dark sparkly neutral gray.
The Guy Who Died But Didn't Really Die: This is gorgeous. It's a little too brown for me to call it a taupe. It has shimmer and, to my eye, a teensy bit of green. I'm a green addict and a LOT of the shades in this palette either have some green tones or would really look good paired with green. It's a good thing.
The Mistress: Shimmery dove gray, again, that kind of leans green.
The Step Brother: Ok, now this IS green. It's grassy and a little frosty.
The Coma Patient: Pale lilac with glitter, but the color doesn't really show up well on me, even with a base, so it looks a little gray. Not one of the smoothest or most pigmented colors here.
The Police Man: Along with The Guy Who Died But Didn't Really Die, one of the reasons I wanted this palette so very badly. This is a bright, shimmery blue, somewhere between sky blue and aquamarine. It is so pretty and SMOOTH!
The Brain Surgeon: Satiny deep eggplant.
The Neighbor: Frosty custard.
The Stockbroker: Frosty bright snow white
The Basket Case: Pale frosty peach
The Older Woman: Pale frosty rosy-peach. This is a glitterbomb. Not a fave.

The lip/cheek stains are emollient, blendable, and last reasonably well. I haven't broken out, but I do have pretty good skin. The Drama Queen is a pigmented watermelon shade, while The Perfect Man is a little bit sheerer and is a fuchsia with a little shimmer.

The color of the lipgloss, The Evil Twin, is a really surprisingly great little beige nude that doesn't wash me out (a rarity due to my pale skin). No gray, a little pink, a little peach. The pigmentation and wear is good for a gloss, but it's unimpressive compared to the wear of a good lipstick. A shame, because the color is pretty spectacular.

I do wish there were more mattes/satins, and there are a few misses among all the hits, but, all in all, this is a good collection of colors that play nicely with each other. It's a lot of shadow for your buck, and you get some decent cheek/lip stains and a gloss as well. I'd recommend this one.

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No