Estee Lauder Idealist Even Skintone Illuminator

3.0

Water, Dimethicone, Isododecane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Ascorbyl Glucoside, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Gentiana Lutea (Gentian) Root Extract, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Extract, Hydrolyzed Rice Bran Extract, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Extract, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, Morus Bombycis (Mulberry) Root Extract, Trametes Versicolor Extract, Hordeum Vulgare (Barley) Extract, Salicylic Acid, Caffeine, Cholesterol, Acetyl Glucosamine, Squalane, Yeast Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seedcake, Isohexadecane, PEG-6, Dimethoxytolyl Propylresorcinol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Propylene Glycol Dicaprate, Polysorbate 20, Glycyrrhetinic Acid, Polysorbate 80, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Sulfite, Sodium Metabisulfite, Acrylamide/Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Potassium Sorbate, Di-C12-18 Alkyl Dimonium Chloride, Fragrance, Tromethamine, Tin Oxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA, BHT, Phenoxyethanol, Linalool, Limonene, Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Bismuth Oxychloride, Carmine

Unlike some illuminators that can be overly shimmery or glittery, this one just reflects a little bit of light to even out skintone and make it look like you're glowing from within. I don't think of it as a serum (maybe I should?), but rather a makeup product. Typical use for me is to apply a serum after my morning shower, and then mix a small drop of this in with my moisturizer. I am unconvinced that it has magical skin-healing properties, but do think it's nice for a wash-on, wash-off inner glow.

on 12/24/2013 9:11:00 AM

I am about to buy my third bottle, this product is amazing, especially if you don't feel like wearing makeup and just want a little 'glow'. It absorbs quickly and brightens complexion immediatley, I have recommended this product to numerous people and can't believe I am only just reviewing it.

on 10/9/2013 12:12:00 AM

I'm on my 3rd bottle of this serum and would continue to use it (though it costs quite a pretty penny). I love how it illuminates my skin and adds that extra boost of moisture below my moisturizer. Also, I have noticed a dramatic change in my old acne scars. And anytime I get a new outbreak, it disappears much quicker with the use of this serum.

on 10/2/2013 10:59:00 AM

It is nice when you apply it, skin looks radiant. However couple of hours later it starts to dry my skin and makes my makeup look cakey.

Update:Ok, after some creative application experiments, I found that overall makeup cakiness (and I normally use only concealer and a little pressed powder) decreases if I apply the Idealist OVER my moisturiser (Estee Lauder Daywear Lotion SPF 15), however I think theoretically this method defeats the purpose of the serum, since the moisturiser creates a barrier to all the serum's antioxidants and other good-for-skin ingredients. What I am left with in the end is a purely cosmetic effect which is not worth paying $92 - I can do the same with a nice highlighter.
ps. I do not dare to think of wearing it at nigth with all the silicone and glitter.

On a different note I can recommend Clinique's Turnaround Concentrate that is albeit a differnet purpose product (subtle exfoliation and skin turnover) but gives similar results in terms of overall radiance of face, goes nicely under my moisturiser and gives a nice velvet feel to my skin.

on 10/1/2013 6:54:00 AM

This feels so lovely on my skin and I notice a difference when I don't use it.

on 9/9/2013 4:41:00 AM

I love this product. Don't expect a miracle to happen when you use this, but it definitely helped to even my skintone. Acne scars are less visible, reduced redness, less/no break outs, just an overall better/fresher look. I must say the effects were better noticable the first 2 weeks than they are now (after using it 1,5 month) but I wouldn't stop using it. It's quite pricey though.

on 8/19/2013 11:50:00 PM

UPDATE: I have downgraded this serum because it seems to have leveled off, and stopped working for me. No additional lightening effect. Bummer. Maybe my skin got used to it? :(

---------------------------------------------------

I have been using this at night along with Estee Lauder's Advanced Night Repair (ANR first, then this on top), for about 6 weeks, and I have noticed that this combination does a good job of evening my skin of blotchiness and redness. My skin looks much more uniform and luminous. Pores are smaller. Fine lines are lessened. And it has helped lighten age spots moderately (maybe by 30-40%). But the age spots are still there - it hasn't removed them ......... Just lightened them. Overall, I do like the product and the positive effects on my skin, and will continue to use it. Maybe if I remember to, I'll check back in another month or so and let you all know if it has any further inprovement to my skin.

on 8/10/2013 2:40:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Fab!!! I'm shocked to see so many negative reviews if I'm honest. Only been using this product a week and I've already got the confidence to go make up free! Which is a miracle as I've not done it in 10years. Amazing as all EL products are :-)

on 7/27/2013 10:19:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

***Update Feb 2015: I can only use this in the warmer months when my combo skin is not dry as this tends to irritate my skin in the winter.***

This has one a fantastic job of evening out my skintone over the past two months, so far I'm really liking this product.

I have combination dry, sensitive skin that is prone to irritation and break outs if I use the wrong products - very surprised I can use this. For the first half hour or so after a shower, my face is red and splotchy. As soon as I apply this (after my Clarins Liquid Bronze self tanner), my skin evens out almost immediately and them I'm ready for my foundation. No need for an additional moisturizer. It pairs very well with the self tanner because the product itself has a bit of a goldish shimmer that isn't garish, but looks more like a golden glow afterwards. I've noticed that since I started using this, my foundation stays on a lot longer too so for me, it almost acts as a primer as well.

To date, I've never purchased a full size bottle - I keep buying the samples off ebay, I just picked up 3 little bottles for under 20 dollars. I use quite a bit of the product every day and am still on my first bottle.

My big test of this product will come in the fall/winter when my skin is very dry and irritated - I will continue to use and update if anything changes but so far, this stuff has been fantastic.

on 7/7/2013 3:24:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I had initially received a sample of this product as part of a gift bag and after a few weeks of continuous use, I had noticed a visible difference in the texture and overall appearance of my complexion. For the record, I do not have acne-prone skin. But when I do break out due to stress, the lone zit (cyst type eruption) that emerges can leave a lingering mark that takes some time to fade. It has taken less time in doing so since using this product. I had applied the serum SPARINGLY to the major areas of my face after makeup removal and cleansing (forehead, tip of nose, chin and cheeks) smoothing it over evenly, then finishing up with my usual layer of moisturizer and eye cream (both on mornings and evenings). So far, it has kept my skin smooth and even toned, as promised. Just purchased the full sized bottle.

Popular Treatments (Face)