Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Essence Sunscreen SPF50+ PA+++

Water, Alcohol, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Lauryl Methacrylate/Sodium Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate, Dimethicone, Acrylates/C10-30 Acrylate Crosspolymer, Glyceryl Stearate, Agar, Polyvinyl Alcohol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Citrus Grandis, Citrus Medica Limonum, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis, Xylitol, Butylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Hydroxide, Potassium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Disodium EDTA, BHT, Fragrance

This is my favorite sunscreen. I have tried a TON of sunscreens and have come to find out that they only type that I don't mind wearing are Japanese sunscreens.
My previous favorite was Shiseido Senka, but I found that I was still getting quite a bit of color while wearing it.
Then I ordered a bunch of French SSs and, although they are better than U.S suncreens in terms of wear-ability, they are still heavy when layered under makeup.

Biore Aqua Rich Watery Essense has the consistency of a light gel. It is actually refreshing on the skin and dries almost immediately. And it wears well under makeup.
The only downside is that it doesn't hold up to sweating in the sweltering summer heat.

I live in the humid side of the surface of the sun... it is hot and muggy here year round. And because we have a very high UV Index and I have melasma, I have to wear sunscreen all the time.

If I had good skin, I could slather anything on and settle it with powder. But because I have melasma, acne and PIH (jealous?), then I have to wear concealer and foundation.
Finding a good sunscreen that provides adequate protection while playing nice with my makeup and not feeling like I slathered Desitin on my face seemed like an impossible task.

I found this sunscreen on Amazon with Prime and it is still reasonably priced.

I recently found a very similar formula: Biore Aqua Rich Watery GEL and I have been testing it and liking it. You get about 40% more product for about $1 more.
So far I am liking it. And I will write a separate review for the Gel as soon as I have a definitive verdict.

Thus far, Biore Aqua Rich Watery Essence is my most favorite sun protection product for every day use.

on 7/20/2015 12:25:00 AM

Good price and easy to apply very sheer and thin

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Disclaimer: The product I have is labeled PA++++, but I couldn't find a product listed as such so maybe they just updated their formula. I'm assuming the product I have is the one being reviewed here, as I've never seen the PA+++.

I LOVE THIS. I've been attempting to wear sunscreen every day since I was maybe a pre-teen (super pale and I burn when I'm outdoors for more than like a minute) but I've been woefully inconsistent because I'd never before found a facial sunscreen that I could tolerate, let alone one that I loved using.

For context: my skin is textbook-definition dry (not dehydrated) and I'm very pale with neutral (probably leaning warm) undertones. This means that white cast (because of how pale I am) and shininess (because my skin couldn't do dewy if it tried, let alone greasy) are not problems I'm concerned with.

Many American chemical sunscreens make me either break out or they irritate my skin horribly and make it stingy and red. All sunscreens I've tried have somehow gotten into my eyes, which, as a contact-wearer, is the worst kind of pain. I had some luck when I found Laneige SPF40 at Target, which is a physical sunscreen from a Korean skincare brand. I liked it, but it was thick and took a while to sink in, left a slight cast (not awful on me, but it would probably show up in flash photos), and was generally just a bit of a pain to use, as sunscreen tends to be. I'd heard so much about the Biore Watery Essence that I thought I would give it a shot. I bought a 2-pack on Amazon for $20-ish.

Oh man, I LOVE it. It's the only sunscreen I've ever been excited about wearing. The consistency is definitely thinner than most other sunscreens I've tried. It's a pale yellow color and it feels like a light lotion. It goes on so smoothly and sinks in instantaneously, and I use the recommended 1/4 tsp (usually more, to be honest). It dries to a matte but not dull finish, which I love because I use Nivea creme in the morning, which can leave me a tiny bit shiny. It's so lovely to apply makeup over that I don't use a primer. It's not water-/sweat-proof, but I've reapplied over face makeup (which had been set using a setting spray) without too much of a problem -- ymmv if you tend to wear a lot of face makeup that needs to stay put.

I know some people worry about the potentially drying effects of the alcohol. As I mentioned, I have textbook dry, almost-literally-doesn't-produce-oil skin, and I haven't had this problem. I moisturize heavily before applying the sunscreen (to be fair, I moisturize heavily anyway) and it's never dried out my skin.

The only downside is the price, and even that's not awful. I probably go through a tube in 3-4 weeks -- I didn't expect it to last this long, but it has! I only use it for my face because my body skin isn't sensitive so I use cheap baby sunscreen everywhere else. $10 for 3-4 weeks of sun protection isn't awful for me, but it is annoying to have to order more sunscreen all the time. Luckily, you can ship it using Amazon Prime so it truly is just $10 a tube, no shipping fees. The containers themselves are small, but I like the size as it makes it easy to travel with.

Overall, I HIGHLY recommend. I'm going to also try the UV Watery Gel, which I know some people prefer, but I'm very happy with this for now!

on 7/14/2015 10:26:00 AM

Great product, doesn't break me out or have a weird white color. I use it everyday. It's great under make up.

on 6/30/2015 10:49:00 AM

This is a super sunscreen that I use every day has a very light feel on the face, never greasy or heavy. I use it alone or under make-up. A few minutes after application it doesn't feel like I have as anything on my face. Because it's so lightweight, I actually use it every single day. That's important because I live in southern California near the ocean, I have a family history of malignant melanoma, and I'm blond, blue eyed, and I have very fair skin. I don't use this when I am active outdoors. I don't think it will hold up to sweating or water sports, but for the days that I'm not doing outdoor activities, this product makes the daily as application of sunscreen so much easier and less hassle.

on 6/6/2015 12:54:00 AM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

This ones great! I tried the milky version from Biore and this one is much nicer for an oily skin, acne prone gal. I'm on the regime and this one works over the top of the benzoyl peroxide and moisturizer. You won't even notice it on your skin (unlike most sunscreens available here in Aus). The milky one also slightly stung around my eyelids but this one doesn't. So definitely my go to sunscreen.

on 5/27/2015 7:37:00 AM

This is the only sunscreen I use for face and body. It`s water-based, so it doesn`t break me out because it doesn`t clog pores and doesn`t feel heavy or greasy on my skin. The finish isn`t shiny or sticky, there is no whitish residue, and works great as a primer for foundation. On the rest of my body it works even better: I used to use Neutrogena`s Dry Touch Sunscreen, but this is WAAAAYYY better! You don`t have that nasty gooey feeling on your chest and arms at the end of the day, even after constant reapplications. Also, it did not turn my white shirts or tank tops that nasty yellow-brown that other sunscreens tend to do.

on 5/18/2015 12:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

Full marks from me because it feels like nothing even with the full amount needed. I hate sticky, rubbery, tacky, slick, greasy--any of those characteristics of sunscreen wear-- so this is like a miracle in a tube and on top of those accolades, it does not break out or freak out my very sensitive skin. I have normal combination skin in the summer months and this works well under makeup or by itself and has no pasty reminder or scent. And it is easy to remove at night. It was well worth the Amazon order.

on 5/7/2015 3:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Have been using Elta MD's UV Clear for about 2 years, and as much as I love that particular product for its anti-redness capabilities, it makes me look like a disco ball, especially during the warmer months. Bioré's sunscreen is great for not adding any extra shine to my face, nor does it clog my pores. As far as sun protection, I haven't used this in a particularly testing environment, such as the beach. I used this while in East Africa for 2 weeks while the temperatures were 90+ every day, and didn't burn or freckle (as far as I can tell). Works well under makeup, isn't impossible to remove, and doesn't irritate my skin. For now, I'm satisfied, and will continue using this in the summertime.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Update June 2015: Sadly this began causing little whiteheads around my chin/mouth so I'll finish up the bottle on my body. I also found that it made my skin even oilier as the weather became more humid. May work best for combo/slightly dry skin.

This review is for the newest PA++++ formula. I purchased it from Amazon for about $9 and free shipping.

I have oily, sensitive skin that can't tolerate sunscreens containing avobenzone. Typically I practice hardcore sun avoidance, but I recently started using a retinoid and knew I needed to get serious about using sunscreen as well. I've had some luck using physical s/s, but they just didn't offer the finish or amount of protection I wanted. This is absolutely the best sunscreen I've ever tried -- no irritation whatsoever, super easy to apply the full amount needed, and leaves no icky film behind. Also doesn't smell like sunscreen which is nice. I will say that if you are oily and looking for something that can control that or be mattifying -- this is not for you. It dries down to a natural finish and does nothing to control oil, but also doesn't make it worse for me. I'm okay with that because I'm prone to dehydration and already use products that can be a bit drying. I may try some others once this bottle runs out, but I'll likely repurchase regardless.