August 22, 2014 | 1942 users online

Sunscreen - Obagi - Nu-Derm Sun Shield SPF 50

rated 4 of 5 on 4/30/2013 9:38:00 AM More reviews by wf

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have really, really sensitive skin. Pretty much all chemical sunscreens make my face feel burnt and irritated. This is a really good sunscreen and compared to other mineral-types, goes on incredible well. It does sort of seem drying at times, which is why I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars, but I think there is something in the sunscreen to keep it from being waxy ( so that the face appears matte after you put it on) and I think this might be the cause of the feeling of drying.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2013 5:13:00 AM More reviews by MackMack

This is a fantastic high protection sunscreen with a matte finish. I use it daily under my make up. There is no white shadowy residue after application and is non-greasy. I have pale skin and live in sunny Australia- I absolutely guarantee this product and tried just about every sunscreen known to man. This is the BEST!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/22/2013 3:04:00 PM More reviews by cameobear

Previous to this, my favorite sunscreen was Neutrogena Pure and Free, which is about $10 for 1.4 ounces; with that in mind, the price of this didn't bother me (I paid $30 on amazon), since its twice as much product, for not too much extra; and trust me, the extra quality is worth the extra $10 or so.

I'm obsessed with skincare, but I really HATE most facial sunscreens; they usually sting my face/and or eyes, cause rashes or breakouts, and are really shiny and greasy. What I liked about the Neutrogena sunscreen is that it has a high SPF, is VERY gentle, and VERY matte! Matte is a must as I have oily skin. The only things I didn't like about that sunscreen are the runny consistency, which made application difficult, and the horrid white cast it left without makeup.

This sunscreen is a thicker, creamy formula, that doesn't leave a white residue at all, and is just as matte! It also has a high spf, and lots of zinc, which is really great for your skin in addition to blocking the sun. It has lots of silicone in it, which in some products makes me break out, but I haven't had any issues so far. Additionally, it kinda acts like a primer thanks to all those silicons!

The one downside is I occasionally do get a bit of balling up when I put makeup over it; it's usually pretty minor, still kind of annoying! But this is the best sunscreen I've found thus far, so I'll stick with it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2013 3:13:00 PM More reviews by FoxW

Along with the Obagi Skin Health Sunblock SPF 35, this is one of my favorite sunblock! It has a matte finish on the skin, which works perfect for my combination skin! If you hate the feel of most sunblock due to the greasy texture or funky smell, you might want to give this one a try! Sure, it is pricy, but you can find a much reasonable price on Amazon. Sunblock is such an important part of anti-aging, so don't be cheap on your skin, ladies!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2013 12:23:00 PM More reviews by Pookie0987

I love this sunscreen. After having skin cancer removed I was told by my doctor to use a sunscreen with zinc in it. I normally hate sunscreen as my face is very oily to begin with. I love this stuff. For some reason it seems to dry up the oil and I don't break out from it. I can sit on the beach for hours with this sunscreen on and my skin looks great. I don't find it too drying, it just keeps my skin matte and burn free. The only down sides are the price, although I found it fairly cheap on amazon and if you are going under the water, you look a little white and slimy when you come up.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2013 6:38:00 AM More reviews by lollsazz

I completely agree with the review under me - zink is a very good ingredient for calming down the skin and fighting bacterial infections too. It is an ingredient that I would definitely recommend to people with rosacea.
I like this because it, as said, has a lot of zink, because of the high SPF, because it isn't fragranced. I have dry skin, but use this because the foundation I wear is quite moisturizing and this prevents my face from looking oily during the day. This goes on matte, but I haven't noticed it causing any tightness. I have light skin (NC15 right now) and haven't noticed any flashback in photos taken with flash.
There are a couple of cons to this though. Although this sunscreen is very fluid, it's also dry in a way: when you apply it you need to work fast and not rub this too much because it then rolls up in small balls. Because of the same reason, this sometimes leaves dried white streaks on the face, and you may have to use a moisturizer on top of this to even everything out. For those who like their cosmetics to be an all-in-one thing, this may not be the best choice (since you may need to carry a moisturizer around to even this out). For those who don't know this: moisturizer is supposed to be applied over the sunscreen.
I still really like this product as it has good ingredients, good sun protection and I don't mind some extra steps in my morning routine. I just feel that this won't get as much use when I'm not applying makeup on top because of those white streaks and balling up. I also like sunscreen to be waterproof, and this absolutely isn't.
If you have dry skin and want a moisturizing sunscreen, it may be worth checking out Banana Boat's Baby Tear-Free sunscreen. It's something I think is better for the winter though. Very nicely priced. See reviews here:

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2012 7:58:00 AM More reviews by lukasalberto

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm a 20 year old male, with combination skin and rosacea.

This sunscreen works great for me. It has a significant amount of zinc and it's very light. Even on summer it behaves very well. I'll admit it could be even more mattifying during hot days, especially in the T-zone, but considering the amount of zinc, the great protection and the absence of alcohol or any absorbing powders (silica, talc, etc.) it looks pretty good, leaving skin semi-matte. It applies easily, never feels heavy and never bothers my rosacea. I don't think it's much for water resistance though (I haven't tested using it while at the beach, pool, etc), but I use it as my daily sunscreen so it's not a problem for me; I actually like that it is easy to remove.

It doesn't leave a white cast on me, but I'm fairly caucasian (Fitzpatrick type II-III); it just seems to disappear but at the same time make your skin look better.

Since I started using this my rosacea seems calmer (which zinc by itself can help with) and my skin tone seems more even. It has passed the new FDA regulation and Obagi claims it has a PPD of 16.73. It has a fair amount of zinc, which usually means good UVA protection.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2012 6:24:00 PM More reviews by Tindra78

This has been hard to review, cause we have winter right now and this sunscreen is REALLY dry and matte... My face is always unbalanced in some way, either I have bumps or my face is overdried cause of the treatments... I treat my acne with Retinol (A-vitamin) and benzoyl peroxid, from the doctor.

BUT I also have a lot of hyperpigmentation/melasma, so i HAVE TO use high sunscreen during the whole year. For 2 months I've used the Elta Md Clear spf 46, and I absolutely LOVE, LOVE it!!!!!!! It hydrates, protects and gives a slight glow....And no breakouts!!!!!!!!! But I usually have to powder a little before i walk out the door, to avoid that typical "mineral look" (even if it's very slight).

Now I wanted something mattifying, so I bought this! But it's too drying to be able to even try for one week right now... In some way it reminds of Peter thomas roth's sunscreen, The Uber Dry.... So I like the matte look you get, but not the tight feeling, and not being able to smile... :(

I could use one moisturizer under this, but the thing is that I prefer only one layer of "creams" on the face....cause of my acne-issues, I'm a little "allergic" to many layers.....

One more thing; I used this for 3 days some week ago, but at the same weekend I tried out a new foundation (Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation). After that weekend I had enormous awful cystic acne on my face! They were SO big and awful, that i hardly wanted to go out! So now I don't know what made this breakout, if it was the foundation, the Obagi or the combination of those two....

So when I get my curriage back, I'll try this out again for some week/weeks to se how it works, but that will be when the weather gets warmer..... :)

(I'm usually sensitive to silicones - they easily break me out. And now I discovered that the matte look is a result of a TON of silicones in this product; there are many of them, and they are not all in the end of the ingredient list! CETEARYL ALCOHOL is also the third ingredient and this is HIGHLY COMEDOGENIC!!)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2012 5:36:00 PM More reviews by wickedcoolmama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i have been using this daily on my face and neck for 3 months now. i like how this does not smell like sunscreen and how emollient it is. it is not runny like the chanel uv essentiel multi spf 50 and it is a lot more affordable. i havent noticed any new sun spots this summer, which says a lot! this wears well under makeup and i dont normally use a primer, i use sunscreen as a primer and this has been great.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2012 11:40:00 AM More reviews by whisper

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

If I could give this 500 stars, I would. The Obagi Nu Derm Sun Shield SPF 50/PA+++ is an absolute staple, must-have product in my skin care regimen. I have combination, sensitive, very reactive skin (i.e. prone to cosmetic 'acne') and this sunscreen has been nothing short of incredible for me. I wear it 365 days; no exceptions. I must've tried over 2 dozen different sunscreens over the past couple of years, searching for something that wouldn't irritate my face but also that I could comfortably wear throughout the day (in other words, under makeup). This fits the bill. I love that it's broad spectrum and high SPF, and yet feels weightless; also doesn't smell like sunscreen (hallelujah!). I truly notice my dark spots diminishing and my skin looking brighter and overall more even-toned, simply due to the fact that I protect my face and neck w/this sunscreen each and every day. No clogged pores, no issues whatsoever with this. I use a less expensive sunscreen on the rest of my body, but for face and neck, this is the best ever. I've repurchased this stuff 4 (maybe 5?) times already, which is saying something, because normally I'd feel the desire to try out another product; I haven't with this. It's been over a year now that I've been exclusively using this sunscreen. My search for the ideal facial sunscreen has officially ended. I've got my 62-year-old mother using it as well, and she's in love with it too! UPDATE as of May 9, 2013: I have remained fiercely loyal to this product and haven't used any other sunscreen for my face & neck since the time I first tried it. It's truly the best sunscreen. Love it and will absolutely continue to repurchase.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No