October 25, 2014 | 1710 users online

Cleansers - Josie Maran Cosmetics - Argan Cleansing Oil

rated 3 of 5 on 2/12/2014 10:04:00 AM More reviews by raindrops_on_roses

I was inspired to get a bottle after trying a little sample that the Sephora employee threw into my bag. With the absolutely brutal weather we've been having this winter, the thought of an oil based cleanser sounded just lovely. Is it worth the high price tag? Possibly, but as always it depends on what you need your cleanser to do. First off, I only use this on days I wear makeup, which is most days. The stuff is so damn pricy that if I'm going to use it I want it to work hard for me. I pondered whether to actually use this to remove my eye makeup or just on my facial skin, because to get all that requires extra product and elbow grease (grease...ha. I see what I did there) and I'm not sure how I feel about rubbing all that oil into my eye socket....blech. I ended up compromising and using it as a first wave of eye makeup removal--if I'm wearing quite a bit that day, I need to go over it again with a face wipe to get the last traces off. The oil works pretty well on this front though.

The cleanser feels tacky and not as easy to spread as I thought an "oil" would, but I actually don't mind this because it makes me spend more time massaging it into my face, which seems like it would be good for circulation and for getting out every little bit of makeup. When you add water, it becomes creamy and foamy and quite easy to wash away, leaving no oily residue but just soft, clean skin. I like it for the winter but I don't know about as a year round thing...time will tell. Oh yeah, avoid getting even a tiny bit of this in your mouth (which for some reason is difficult for me to do) because it tastes nasty!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2014 7:33:00 PM More reviews by MakeupMomma

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I never thought I would ever use a cleansing oil on my face. I have super oily, acne-prone skin and have always avoided any product that contained oil. After reading here on MUA that oil can actually be good for oily-prone skins, I decided to get a sample of this product at Sephora. The thick texture feels so great on my skin, plus I love the citrusy scent. It does a pretty good job of removing makeup but I feel I need to follow up with another cleanser if I'm wearing heavier makeup. This product is available in a full-sized bottle and a smaller travel sized bottle.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/3/2014 3:25:00 PM More reviews by Nicolebby

I received this as a deluxe sample from Sephora and it was my first experience using a cleansing oil. I absolutely love it, and if the nearest Sephora wasn't an hour and a half away, I would have purchased it already! But since it will be awhile before I can get there, I just picked up Dermalogica's Precleanse from Ulta, and it is wonderful as well. I still plan on picking this up the next time I am in Austin, though.

First off, I love the smell. It isn't necessary, but it's nice all the same. It's citrus-y but still light enough that it is not overpowering. Also, a little goes a long way, and once it is completely rinsed off, it leaves my skin so soft and smooth and NEVER dry, I love it. A few drops and I could easily smooth it over a dry face, and once rinsed off, I am makeup free. Seriously, it removes makeup like a dream. Once you add some water to it, it turns nice and milky which I massage for another minute or so on my skin, which was a pleasant surprise; I was not expecting it to foam up as much as it did, which was nice, and rinses off easily without leaving a greasy residue. Another awesome thing was that, it has never caused me to break out. Seriously, never once.

I follow this up with a cleanser, EVERY time, so I am not sure how well it would work as a makeup remover/cleanser all in one. It works wonders for removing makeup, but I just like following up with my Clarisonic, and if I am being honest, some makeup is typically left over on my brush head after use, so I would never just use this and be done at night.

Next time I am in Sephora, or when I make my next online purchase, I can guarantee that I will pick this up. I would definitely recommend to remove makeup, it is fantastic-even though it is extremely pricey.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2014 10:29:00 AM More reviews by tigirlyly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I got this as a deluxe sample in a "try me" set at Sephora. I find this cleansing oil works well for me. Gets all my makeup off. Rinses easily without a greasy film afterwards. Has a citrus/grapefruit scent to it. I prefer unscented, but I can life with it. I use DHC deep cleansing oil and it's a go to if I'm out of my DHC oil.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/23/2014 9:47:00 AM More reviews by Kb777

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I got the Argan Cleansing Oil in a Josie maran gift set and was excited to try it (I have used oils on my face for a few years with great results and absolutely love the Josie Maran Argan Oil). Wow, what a disappointment. Agree with others that it's didn't really take the make-up off that well, but it also made my face break out. I never have issues with acne and thought it might be a fluke so I tried again a week or so later. Nope same results. Zits! I won't be buying this again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2014 10:33:00 AM More reviews by Angelique79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I switched off my harsh acne cleaners this year in order to concentrate more on balancing my skin in order to combat breakouts. Through this approach, I've found oil was a way to begin that path. I began however by making my own blend of oils for cleansing and while it wasn't terrible, I did continue to break out in the usual way I've always broken out. Then i began to read that DIY oil cleansers weren't really THE best way to go.

I bought a small sample of Maran's argan oil cleanser for 6 dollars on Amazon to try out my first professionally manufactured cleansing oil. After a week of using it, I noticed immediately that the texture of my skin was improving, my skin was getting cleaned more effectively using this oil and I read about WHY (something to do with chemistry). By the 2nd week of using this, I decided to go ahead and purchase from Sephora a full sized bottle. I dont find this product to be difficult to spread on dry skin, as it directs you. You use 3-4 pumps of it, spreading it over the face and I acutally use the oil to start breaking down mascara and eyeliner before I add water to emulsify it and continue to massage into skin.

For me, this cleanses without over stripping and as a result, my skin is more balancing and doesn't need to pump out as much sebum, which then doesn't clog my pores up and causes flares of acne. It's 30 dollars, yes...but well worth it as I have been able to reduce the amount of arsenal I was buying to combat acne prone skin.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2014 3:42:00 PM More reviews by ltgee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

i have been really reluctant to jump on the oil cleansing bandwagon because i have super oily skin and this brand has always been so expensive. i then tried dermalogicas pre-cleanse for a week and its super awesome and did not break me out. this winter i developed some dry patches around my eyes so i decided to purchase this to put some moisture back in and not strip it so much. the 1st day, i was impressed. i thought, oh, it leaves my skin so smooth and supple afterwards! even though i had to pump out like 10,000 pumps just to get enough to give it some "slip" i was positive about it. fast forward to last night, i had a TON of eye makeup on and it only got like 40% of it off. i thought, oh thats ok, at least it got my foundation off"-NOPE, when i went over my eyes with remover later on, a ton of foundation came off too! gross! now i have broken out with waxy bumps and pimples on my chin, forehead and cheeks, this was not cleansing anything unfortunately. i really wish i had followed this oil w/a cleanser for the past 2 weeks!!! it smells nice, does not give you "blurry eyes" & has a nice bottle but that's it. so overpriced (and i just found out its not even 100% argan oil!), doesn't have enough slip-so that you end up tugging and pushing at your face, didn't break down my makeup. returning and getting pre-cleanse!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2014 8:19:00 AM More reviews by wonderbuy

This product has a lot of potential however I feel that it needs to go through a few rounds more of testing and development. Firstly, this is very thick, probably the thickest cleansing oil i have used but it doens't spread well either, this means you need to use a lot. Secondly the level of emulsifying agent is low (the stuff that makes it mix with water and goes milky) so i feel that a lot of elbow grease is required to get make up off. Having said that, the ingredients are natural but I just don't find it to be user friendly. Yes it removes makeup but with the effort I would much rather use a cleansing balm. For the price you can get about 3 bottles of asian cleansing oil which is far more developed and cosmetically elegant. Not all cleansing oils need to be the same but i just don't think this is user friendly enough for me to purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2013 11:57:00 PM More reviews by den1se83

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This product is by far the best I've come across in a very long time. For years I've spent tons of money buying a million different products trying to find something that actually made a difference in my skin. I stumbled upon this after first finding the 100% pure argan oil. I loved that on my skin so much that I had to try her other products. After trying it... within a week I noticed that my normally large pores on either side of my nose were much smaller and that my skin was way less oily. Prior to using this cleanser I would put my make up on in the morning before leaving for work then blot before I got out of my car to walk into work. (only a half hour drive mind you). Now I don't blot until the end of my day if at all. Most days I don't even need to. I've been using it for about 3 weeks now and I break out less so far and the breakouts that I do get seem to heal in half the time. Since finding this product I've converted several of my coworkers into Josie Maran users. As for the reviews that say it's hard to use.... they must not be doing it right. You have to shake the bottle because it separates into layers... then you put it on your face dry and try to spread it around and then slowly add in some water to make the oil spread out. It removes all of my make up including my water proof mascara. And no it does not taste good as many people say but it's not made to be eaten!!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/19/2013 3:02:00 AM More reviews by bkurant

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

what i love about this cleansing oil? the smell. otherwise, it is a very thick oil that is difficult to remove. in addition, it leaves my sensitive skin feeling dry.
i really wanted to like it, but glad that i only have a small bottle (part of the gift set). will not re-purchase. as other reviewers pointed out - it would be better to mix some food-grade oils and use them as cleansers for a fraction of a price.
this cleansing oil is expensive, given that argan oil is NOT a main ingredient. in addition, even if argan oil is beneficial and your skin loves it, you might ask -- can argan oil bring any benefit in a cleanser, given that you will be washing it off almost as soon as you apply it. think about it :)