September 18, 2014 | 977 users online

Hair Treatments - John Frieda - Go Blonder Lightening Spray

rated 1 of 5 on 2/17/2014 6:14:00 AM More reviews by hatejohnfireda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

So i am one of them who was wery impressed with the this stuff 2 years ago when i started using it. I was naturally dark blonde and one year of using it got me to platinum blonde all over. The colour was pretty good. So one summer day i woke up with my top hair broken off all around my head from 1-2 inch length. So i had one part of my hair with length to half of my back and the top of my hair only 1-2 inches long... it was pretty ugly. BUT i did not stop using it, because i liked the blonde and i thought it was still better than using bleaches or real hair colours (HOW dumb was i)? So i continued to use it... So afterr 2 years I FINALLY realized that it was really bad for my hair..

So to this point my hair was:
-gummy
-ALL of my top hair broken off in random places
-really dry
-porous
-felt and looked like it had burned
-the damaged short hair on top was fluffy and looked really bad
-much thinner than before using this s**t

So i finally i have stopped using it, but i have lost so much of my hair and it is in a terrible condition... I have tried so many products (nothing makes it better) and i have been to the hairdresser so many times for a cut, but the ends are still so bad. I would have to cut it to the length of 1 inch if i would want to get rid of all the damage..

So i just have to wait about 5 years to restore healthy hair because ofhorrile John Frieda product..

I also wrote a review on John Frieda homepage, but they did not accept the review, because obviously it was too bad for them...

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/4/2014 11:56:00 PM More reviews by taryne721

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Compeletly fried off my hair, someone asked me if I had cut bangs around my entire head. Its that bad, STAY AWAY!!!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/16/2014 4:38:00 PM More reviews by annaliiiisa

With my bleached blonde hair it works well. Every now and then when i feel like renewing my root colour it helps to light and make the overall look more even and fresh. Even my hairdresser was impressed by the results!
But i wouldnt use it on a daily basis, cos i always feel my hair tend to get more frizzy and unruly, the texture changes cos of the peroxide. All and all the product works for what its made for just to be careful to use it not often.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2014 6:00:00 PM More reviews by Jennlw5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have fine, thin naturally blonde hair with the underside of my hair naturally darker and this stuff really worked for me. It didn't leave it greasy or weighed down. The big thing was after 2 weeks my hair was noticeably blonder, I began getting compliments on the gorgeous color of blonde my hair turned into. My hair dresser couldn't get over the beautiful color of blonde my hair became. I stopped using it after 2 weeks since my hair had lightened to the shade I had wanted it at and after I stopped using it my hair for the past month has remained that same shade of blonde.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/25/2013 10:27:00 AM More reviews by brightonblonde

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

i can't be 100% sure but I think this has caused hair loss - NOT breakage as I've only used it every 2 months with good conditioning in between but my hair was much thicker at the start of the year and has been falling out from roots. I think this may have happened in the past too with other lightening products but it's hard to tell as it's not instant. Has anyone else suffered hair loss FROM ROOTS (not breakage lots of reviews say that but that's completely different) Thanks!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/18/2013 6:12:00 PM More reviews by aaskew1

I never normally write reviews but I had to write this so I can warn other people not to make the same mistake as me! I started using this product and was immediately very happy with the results. I sprayed it on to my roots to lighten them up between visits to the hairdresser and it really did make my hair blonder. There were no side effects and it didn't appear to make my hair dry. A few months down the line i started to use again just to top up my roots and again, I was really happy with the effects. However, a few months later I noticed the condition of my hair rapidly deteriorating. It started to go really frizzy and almost looked as if it had been singed or burnt. When I was my hair it was completely unmanageable and had an elastic consistency and was extremely weak. It then started to break off and snap, leaving me with short clumps of hair around the crown of my head. When i realised what it was doing to my hair, I immediately threw the bottle away and have never touched it again. Since then, I have been using rich conditioners and hair masques (Redken) and they have improved the feel of my hair, but it is still extremely damaged and will take years for the damage to grow out.

I went to my hairdresser to see if she would be able to do my roots, and she explained that my hair had been so badly damaged that it could not be dyed. If someone were to dye it, it would all completely break off and i would be left with no hair around the crown of my head. Now I have to wait for my hair to grow out so she can cut out all of the damage that was done, in the meantime having hideous highlights.

I followed the instructions on the bottle to the letter - I only used it 10 times, and then stopped as it said that this would be the maximum lightness it would go. Even when I used it, I only sprayed it 2 or 3 times very lightly onto my hair and did not use very much of it. I have always used good quality products on my hair and used brands such as keratase, sebastien and redken all throughout the time that I was using this spray. So I did absolutely nothing wrong, apart from buying a hair product from what I thought was a reputable company, and now my hair is ruined and is making me feel really self-conscious and depressed.

PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS. Don't think that you can try it for a little while and see how it goes, because even then it can do irreparable damage to your hair. The full damage done to my hair didn't actually come to light until about a year later, and by then it was too late. So please learn from my mistakes and not buy this product! It is not worth it! Go to a salon and get your hair done instead, it has cost me way more in the long run to repair my hair than it would have done to just go to the hairdressers and get my roots done...

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/14/2013 3:01:00 AM More reviews by blondebunny227

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is the absolute worst product I have EVER used on my hair, it has caused irreversible damage, dramatic hair loss, and an excessive amount of unnecessary stress! I started with a healthy head of color-free, chemical-free, natural hair, and ended this horrifying experience with results that resemble a Chia Pet failure...

I started using this product about a year ago, and for about 5 months it worked just fine. I noticed my hair had lightened a couple shades but nothing dramatic, but it was still healthy and I even recommended it to friends. Then out of the blue it all went downhill, I don't know if John Frieda changed their formula, or perhaps I got a bad batch (which is probably not the case in light of all these other negative reviews), but my hair went nuts! I had noticed a dramatic lightening effect after using a bottle I had recently purchased just a couple times, my hair looked AMAZING! The color was platinum blonde, and was so gorgeous, I was getting compliments on the color left and right! After about 2-3 weeks of noticeable lightening, the hair around the crown of my head underneath my bangs started kinking up. It was the craziest looking thing I've ever seen! At first it was just a few strands, then more and more started going haywire.

At the time I was under an enormous amount of stress, I had just moved and my apartment flooded after just a month of living there, I was horribly sick for several months from breathing in mold, mildew, and plaster dust from renovations. So the first sightings of this crazy kinked up hair I chalked up to all the sickness and stress I had been under. I bought several different treatments and conditioners, tried numerous amounts of home remedies, and even joked that I might need to start shopping in the ethnic hair care aisle.

Soon all these little wiry hairs started taking over my whole head and I couldn't even get my brush through my hair. I kept pulling out these weird strands that were bent at right angles, my hair was falling out by the handfuls and it got so bad that I hated to wash and style my hair because of how much more would fall out when I did. My breaking point was when I was on a date and a entire lock of hair fell off my head out of nowhere and landed on my dates arm... I LOST it!!! There were several days that took every ounce of self-control I had to not shave my head, thats how bad it got.

I remember Google-ing awhile back about this product to see if there were other people suffering the same problem but there were nothing but good reviews. I chalked it up to stress, blamed the water in my apartment, bought a filtered shower head, and spent an excessive amount of money on vitamins/conditioners/treatments. Somehow it all finally clicked that it was this stupid little spray that I used only once a week on my hair, I cannot even begin to express how much I wish I had figured this out sooner and found negative reviews like this because clearly all the stress I was under severely clouded my own judgement.

It has now been about 6 weeks since I have stopped using this product. I have less hair falling out (mostly because half of it is already gone), I have noticeable patches of breakage, and it is still hard to brush it with anything but a wide tooth comb. It is so dry that I can only wash it 1-2 times a week, I have to heavily condition it, and try as much as I can to let it air dry. The hair follicles are now quite hollow and hold onto so much water that it takes 3-4 hours to air dry. I've been too embarrassed to visit my hairdresser i've been going to since birth, so I just try to keep up with trimmings myself at home. The damage is so far gone that the only way to repair it is to just cut it all off. I am currently waiting for a decent amount of new growth to chop it down to a short layered bob.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!! Learn from my own horrific experience and do NOT ever buy, try, or even consider using this product on your hair!!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2013 5:18:00 PM More reviews by makeupmonarch17

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This product is fabulous! I am a natural blonde but my hair was starting to get darker over time but after I started using this spray it brought lots of colour back. Thanks to all the go blonder products my hair has stayed a bright natural blonde whereas if I hadn't used them my hair would be brunette by now. It is absolutely fantastic so if you need something to keep or lighten your blonde hair the I 100% recommend this!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/25/2013 6:38:00 PM More reviews by katiejean48

As many others have said I do not usually write reviews but after the disastrous effect of using this product I feel I need to warn others NOT TO USE IT!

In august I got highlights put in my hair. I am naturally a dark blonde/light brown but I had dyed my hair various other colours prior to this so it was quite over processed. My hairdresser told me to leave it alone for awhile as it needed to recover from all the dying. I did treat my hair really well, stayed away from heat styling tools and used moisturising treatments.

However, when my darker roots started to come though go bought this spray thinking it would be a less harmful way to touch up my roots. HOW WRONG I WAS!

Like others have mentioned, at first this product works wonders and really helps to maintain a lovely blonde colour. However, over the last week I have noticed that front parts of my hair look very frazzled and then my hair started to drop out! I have used a few hair masks and I have bought redken's diamond oil to try and repair the damage (as protein needs to be restored to the hair that has been lost through using the spray). Only time will tell if it is repairable!

The only thing I can do now is have the damage cut off so I have booked into the hairdressers for next week. But my hair is quite short already so I am probably going to have to have it cut into a bob which I really don't want!

I think the damage has only just really set in as I only just began using my hair dryer and straighteners again, and as the spray is heat activated I think it causes extra damage to the hair.

I just hope that my hair isn't beyond repair. Frankly the way it looks now is embarrassing and it's made me very self-conscious. The long-term effects of this product are just not worth it. Please stay AWAY!

I will be posting on my blog about how the treatments are going if anybody needs advise. You can visit it at www.kjg-moijejoue.blogspot.co.uk

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2013 7:48:00 PM More reviews by Princesa7

This pruduct is definitely a love it or hate it!!!

I went blonde in May of this year and a few weeks ago a friend of mine who is no longer blonde gave me this.

I have used it 1x so far and it brightened up my hair nicely to the point I'd only use this maybe 1x a month if even that.

I'm no stranger to products like this. I was blonde as a child and my hair turned medium brown around the age of 10 wich my mom around 11 let me get professional blonde highlights and from that point on around 12 I would use Sun In for added lightening etc.....I know the horrid damage products like that and this can do!(its not pretty)

At 16 I went back to being a brunette,then went black,then red and then back to my natural color brown since my 20's and now at 38 back to blonde lol so yes I know damaged hair lol

This product worked fine for me that 1x I used it and it really brightened up my hair but my hair did feel drier so also based on that I would use this sparingly anyway.

To sum it up-if you use this product don't go nuts with it and use it a lot....cuz if you do expect really bad damage!!! **use this sparingly IMO that works best**

*Update on 8/20/13 no longer using this I went back to being a brunette