August 2, 2014 | 1157 users online

Hair Treatments - John Frieda - Go Blonder Lightening Spray

rated 1 of 5 on 11/25/2013 10:27:00 AM More reviews by brightonblonde

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

i can't be 100% sure but I think this has caused hair loss - NOT breakage as I've only used it every 2 months with good conditioning in between but my hair was much thicker at the start of the year and has been falling out from roots. I think this may have happened in the past too with other lightening products but it's hard to tell as it's not instant. Has anyone else suffered hair loss FROM ROOTS (not breakage lots of reviews say that but that's completely different) Thanks!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/18/2013 6:12:00 PM More reviews by aaskew1

I never normally write reviews but I had to write this so I can warn other people not to make the same mistake as me! I started using this product and was immediately very happy with the results. I sprayed it on to my roots to lighten them up between visits to the hairdresser and it really did make my hair blonder. There were no side effects and it didn't appear to make my hair dry. A few months down the line i started to use again just to top up my roots and again, I was really happy with the effects. However, a few months later I noticed the condition of my hair rapidly deteriorating. It started to go really frizzy and almost looked as if it had been singed or burnt. When I was my hair it was completely unmanageable and had an elastic consistency and was extremely weak. It then started to break off and snap, leaving me with short clumps of hair around the crown of my head. When i realised what it was doing to my hair, I immediately threw the bottle away and have never touched it again. Since then, I have been using rich conditioners and hair masques (Redken) and they have improved the feel of my hair, but it is still extremely damaged and will take years for the damage to grow out.

I went to my hairdresser to see if she would be able to do my roots, and she explained that my hair had been so badly damaged that it could not be dyed. If someone were to dye it, it would all completely break off and i would be left with no hair around the crown of my head. Now I have to wait for my hair to grow out so she can cut out all of the damage that was done, in the meantime having hideous highlights.

I followed the instructions on the bottle to the letter - I only used it 10 times, and then stopped as it said that this would be the maximum lightness it would go. Even when I used it, I only sprayed it 2 or 3 times very lightly onto my hair and did not use very much of it. I have always used good quality products on my hair and used brands such as keratase, sebastien and redken all throughout the time that I was using this spray. So I did absolutely nothing wrong, apart from buying a hair product from what I thought was a reputable company, and now my hair is ruined and is making me feel really self-conscious and depressed.

PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS. Don't think that you can try it for a little while and see how it goes, because even then it can do irreparable damage to your hair. The full damage done to my hair didn't actually come to light until about a year later, and by then it was too late. So please learn from my mistakes and not buy this product! It is not worth it! Go to a salon and get your hair done instead, it has cost me way more in the long run to repair my hair than it would have done to just go to the hairdressers and get my roots done...

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/14/2013 3:01:00 AM More reviews by blondebunny227

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is the absolute worst product I have EVER used on my hair, it has caused irreversible damage, dramatic hair loss, and an excessive amount of unnecessary stress! I started with a healthy head of color-free, chemical-free, natural hair, and ended this horrifying experience with results that resemble a Chia Pet failure...

I started using this product about a year ago, and for about 5 months it worked just fine. I noticed my hair had lightened a couple shades but nothing dramatic, but it was still healthy and I even recommended it to friends. Then out of the blue it all went downhill, I don't know if John Frieda changed their formula, or perhaps I got a bad batch (which is probably not the case in light of all these other negative reviews), but my hair went nuts! I had noticed a dramatic lightening effect after using a bottle I had recently purchased just a couple times, my hair looked AMAZING! The color was platinum blonde, and was so gorgeous, I was getting compliments on the color left and right! After about 2-3 weeks of noticeable lightening, the hair around the crown of my head underneath my bangs started kinking up. It was the craziest looking thing I've ever seen! At first it was just a few strands, then more and more started going haywire.

At the time I was under an enormous amount of stress, I had just moved and my apartment flooded after just a month of living there, I was horribly sick for several months from breathing in mold, mildew, and plaster dust from renovations. So the first sightings of this crazy kinked up hair I chalked up to all the sickness and stress I had been under. I bought several different treatments and conditioners, tried numerous amounts of home remedies, and even joked that I might need to start shopping in the ethnic hair care aisle.

Soon all these little wiry hairs started taking over my whole head and I couldn't even get my brush through my hair. I kept pulling out these weird strands that were bent at right angles, my hair was falling out by the handfuls and it got so bad that I hated to wash and style my hair because of how much more would fall out when I did. My breaking point was when I was on a date and a entire lock of hair fell off my head out of nowhere and landed on my dates arm... I LOST it!!! There were several days that took every ounce of self-control I had to not shave my head, thats how bad it got.

I remember Google-ing awhile back about this product to see if there were other people suffering the same problem but there were nothing but good reviews. I chalked it up to stress, blamed the water in my apartment, bought a filtered shower head, and spent an excessive amount of money on vitamins/conditioners/treatments. Somehow it all finally clicked that it was this stupid little spray that I used only once a week on my hair, I cannot even begin to express how much I wish I had figured this out sooner and found negative reviews like this because clearly all the stress I was under severely clouded my own judgement.

It has now been about 6 weeks since I have stopped using this product. I have less hair falling out (mostly because half of it is already gone), I have noticeable patches of breakage, and it is still hard to brush it with anything but a wide tooth comb. It is so dry that I can only wash it 1-2 times a week, I have to heavily condition it, and try as much as I can to let it air dry. The hair follicles are now quite hollow and hold onto so much water that it takes 3-4 hours to air dry. I've been too embarrassed to visit my hairdresser i've been going to since birth, so I just try to keep up with trimmings myself at home. The damage is so far gone that the only way to repair it is to just cut it all off. I am currently waiting for a decent amount of new growth to chop it down to a short layered bob.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!! Learn from my own horrific experience and do NOT ever buy, try, or even consider using this product on your hair!!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2013 5:18:00 PM More reviews by makeupmonarch17

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This product is fabulous! I am a natural blonde but my hair was starting to get darker over time but after I started using this spray it brought lots of colour back. Thanks to all the go blonder products my hair has stayed a bright natural blonde whereas if I hadn't used them my hair would be brunette by now. It is absolutely fantastic so if you need something to keep or lighten your blonde hair the I 100% recommend this!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/25/2013 6:38:00 PM More reviews by katiejean48

As many others have said I do not usually write reviews but after the disastrous effect of using this product I feel I need to warn others NOT TO USE IT!

In august I got highlights put in my hair. I am naturally a dark blonde/light brown but I had dyed my hair various other colours prior to this so it was quite over processed. My hairdresser told me to leave it alone for awhile as it needed to recover from all the dying. I did treat my hair really well, stayed away from heat styling tools and used moisturising treatments.

However, when my darker roots started to come though go bought this spray thinking it would be a less harmful way to touch up my roots. HOW WRONG I WAS!

Like others have mentioned, at first this product works wonders and really helps to maintain a lovely blonde colour. However, over the last week I have noticed that front parts of my hair look very frazzled and then my hair started to drop out! I have used a few hair masks and I have bought redken's diamond oil to try and repair the damage (as protein needs to be restored to the hair that has been lost through using the spray). Only time will tell if it is repairable!

The only thing I can do now is have the damage cut off so I have booked into the hairdressers for next week. But my hair is quite short already so I am probably going to have to have it cut into a bob which I really don't want!

I think the damage has only just really set in as I only just began using my hair dryer and straighteners again, and as the spray is heat activated I think it causes extra damage to the hair.

I just hope that my hair isn't beyond repair. Frankly the way it looks now is embarrassing and it's made me very self-conscious. The long-term effects of this product are just not worth it. Please stay AWAY!

I will be posting on my blog about how the treatments are going if anybody needs advise. You can visit it at www.kjg-moijejoue.blogspot.co.uk

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2013 7:48:00 PM More reviews by Princesa7

This pruduct is definitely a love it or hate it!!!

I went blonde in May of this year and a few weeks ago a friend of mine who is no longer blonde gave me this.

I have used it 1x so far and it brightened up my hair nicely to the point I'd only use this maybe 1x a month if even that.

I'm no stranger to products like this. I was blonde as a child and my hair turned medium brown around the age of 10 wich my mom around 11 let me get professional blonde highlights and from that point on around 12 I would use Sun In for added lightening etc.....I know the horrid damage products like that and this can do!(its not pretty)

At 16 I went back to being a brunette,then went black,then red and then back to my natural color brown since my 20's and now at 38 back to blonde lol so yes I know damaged hair lol

This product worked fine for me that 1x I used it and it really brightened up my hair but my hair did feel drier so also based on that I would use this sparingly anyway.

To sum it up-if you use this product don't go nuts with it and use it a lot....cuz if you do expect really bad damage!!! **use this sparingly IMO that works best**

*Update on 8/20/13 no longer using this I went back to being a brunette

rated 1 of 5 on 7/29/2013 10:39:00 AM More reviews by hennesgm

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I just ended up having to cut up my mid-back length hair up to a bob to try and get rid of the frazzled mess that it now is thanks to this DEVILS POISON! So just hoping it will grow out now.

I have spent hundreds on leave in treatments etc, but its like I now have mutant hair resistant to anything else! Although maybe if I hadn't used them it would be worse?

ALso its so frazzled it wont take a curl with wants or anything, is effectively there is NOTHING to do but wait....

When I see this on shop shelves it makes me want to cry thinking that they can get away with it.
Please dont use it. PLEASE

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/28/2013 9:44:00 PM More reviews by ckorolev

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is the first product I have ever reviewed, however based on the damage caused to my hair, I felt it was my duty to warn other ppl who may be using this, or consider using it!!!! I always read product reviews on makeupalley prior to usage, so I was well aware of the numerous postings of how much damage this product caused. With that being said, I typically still like to try things even if other people have had negative experiences just because there are often other factors at play, such as already damaged, porous hair (etc.) Needless to say-this is the last time I will not pay attention to so many negative comments, typically when there is smoke there is fire!!! I am a cross between dark blonde/light brown hair naturally, with almost platinum salon-dyed hair. I have been on a budget lately, so I have been using store bought boxed dyes. I figured this would be cool to try, just on my roots and maybe add some a few different shades. Although my hair is dyed, it is in fairly good shape thanks to a good diet, vitamins, exercise, and various hair masks I do. After my first usage of this product, I saw no difference in the color, however the product specifies a few times is necessary to see results. Immediately after usage, the texture of my hair changed and was incredibly dry, but I figured extra conditioning was necessary, as expected after using any dye. The third day after using this product JUST ONE TIME, I washed my hair and let's just say I almost had a panic attack based on how much hair I lost. Chunks and chunks of hair fell out and now, the top layer of my hair is now about five inches long, with the rest of my hair being past my shoulders. Not to mention, the top layer of hair is not only broken but it is incredibly raggedy, dry, and I have a crap-load of tiny hairs sticking up. This is a disaster, my hair looks absolutely terrible!!! Please be advised, I did not over-saturate my hair with the bleach, in fact I was very conservative with the amount I put on my hair. It has looked so terrible that I have even researched getting a wig for work and when I go out just so I can let me hair fully recover and grow out. Please, please, please anyone who is considering using this product please don't!!! There are plenty of alternatives that will not ravage your hair!! For anyone who is in the same boat as me, I laid off the shampoo, rinsed my hair with green tea, and did an egg mask for 20 minutes (2 egg yolks, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, one cup of water) this has seemed to help strengthen my hair and I will repeat this at least once a week. I hope this helps someone make the same mistake I have!!! Good luck!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/23/2013 4:48:00 AM More reviews by KristinaDeForce

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This product made me so angry. I used it for about a year, and first I thought it was amazing for quickly retouching up my routs. My boyfriend gave me a lot of compliments about the color being so amazing, so I continued using it. After a few months I noticed that I was drastically LOSING HAIR! It looked dead, burned; my hairdresser was in shock when I came to the salon. After my ''lion's mane'', I was left with one third of my hair still on my head. This is the WORST possible thing you could do to your hair! Don't even think about buying it!

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/11/2013 1:23:00 PM More reviews by orangestinks62

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have only used this a few times on my roots. i won't use it again, because of all the negative reviews on here. sure, it will work well in the beginning and then the damage can show up later. but i want to dispel the rumors on the internet about metallic salts in this product. unless one of the words in the ingredient list is another name for a metallic salt, i don't see it, so that would not be the reason for all the damage. i think the reason for the damage could be the combination of peroxide and citric acid. spraying that on your hair could open the cuticle too much and leave it rough, porous and prone to breakage. i tossed mine.