Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation

4.4

(BE-1, PK-1, 0C-1, 0C-2): Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Isononyl Isononanoate, Hdi/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Peg-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Pentylene Glycol, Sea Water, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, Mica, Glycerin, Phytosteryl / Octyldodecyl Lauroyl Glutamate, Sodium Chloride. Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Aluminum Hydroxide, Acrylates Polytrimethyl Siloxymethacrylate Copolymer, Butylene Glycol. Dimethicone. Phenoxyethanol, Stearic Acid, Aluminum Dimyristate, Silica, Zirconium Dioxide. Talc, Isostearyl Sebacate, Alumina, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Squalane, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Betula Alba Juice, Disodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Glucosyl Hesperidin, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Betula Alba Bark Extract, Kjellmaniella Gyrate Extract, Algae Extract, Alpinia Speciosa Leaf Extract, Iron Oxides

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I have very pale skin and bought the 213 to tone down occasional redness. It is the the only true yellow based shade Koh Gen Do offers. 113 is too peachy and a touch too dark. 213 is a little darker than I am used to but again I am using it to tone down redness and mixed with 012 for that purpose it makes a perfect. shade for me. Sometimes I just put the 213 on my sometimes red cheeks and use the 012 over it and for the rest of my face. Sometimes I mix it together if I want more color everywhere.It is a very forgiving color if you have redness issues.

I tend to use Aqua is the summer and the Moisture in the winter. If you have dry or mature skin this product will dry down matte and get dewier with time. You still need a concealer as the coverage is light. 213 looks lighter than it is upon application. It oxidizes a little darker than I need which I expected. I do feel it is probably the best color offered in this line because many people could use this color which is not the case with all the shades.

I wish Koh Gen Do offered a lighter version of 213's undertone to this line.That would be perfection. 113 does NOT cover the gamut of light skin shades they think it does and is not a step down from 213. They have different undertones. I also wish they offered this color 213 in the Moisture line. This product is too expensive to have to struggle or make do with colors or have to buy 2 colors to get a good match.

Yes the foundation is as awesome and luminescent as expected/stated particularly for the summer or oily skin. Koh Gen Do foundations are as close to HG status that I have found in many years for my mature skin. #1 for me is the Moisture line, Aqua is a close # 2

Perfect shade, sheer coverage, luminious finish, and stay all day long (even when you're sweating and working on many activites)!!

Creates a glowing and supple look along with its extremely light texture (doesn't feel like wearing any!).

Despite from its high price, this foundation is totally a HG product.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Love the way this foundation looks on my skin. Covers nicely but doesn't look heavy. I mix 012 and 002 to get the perfect color. 012 is lighter than 002. I add a drop of 002 when I have a little more color in my skin and need subtlety darker. For winter 012 is perfect for very fair skin. I have a lot of red and rosacea my skin and covers nicely.

Expensive but very little needed

Love it. I really have tried SO many foundations mostly high end. This is one of the best foundations I have tried. No scent lasts a long time and give natural coverage. I get complements on my skin while wearing it. It does go on a little "dry" for me and is a little hard to spread out. But it's so worth it. AMAZING GET IT!

I'm on my third bottle, so decided it's time for a review.

As others have stated, the company is great about providing samples. I decided upon 213 for my first bottle (very yellow based, but still natural and forgiving), then switched over to 113 (a bit more fair and 'neutral') for the last two bottles. I've applied this various ways, but always start with a well-moisturized face and my Sofina sunscreen (which acts as a smoothing primer, as well). Sometimes I spray my face with rosewater first or add a tiny drop of MAC Strobe Cream to the foundation (or simply apply 'dry' after my sunscreen). Regardless, the effect is always even and natural and I *never* feel like you can tell I'm wearing foundation. Coverage is medium at best, so it's just enough to even things out if you have 'ok' skin like me.

Completely (and respectfully) disagree with the reviews that say there is no coverage or that it pools or accentuates flaws - although I do think you need a decent primer or sunscreen for it to really last through the day. It's very hot and humid in NYC this year, and this foundation has held up well (although I do need blot powder. But, mind you, I ALWAYS need blot power!) . It truly is one of the best foundations I've ever used.

I am on KGD's email list, so I buy when they have the occasional sale (or I just purchase online through Sephora, if I need it in a hurry). Very happy with this foundation - and I'm very picky! I deducted one lippy for the price.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

After reading all the great reviews, I was excited to try this foundation. I'm nc 20 and chose shade 213 which is perfect.
The liquid's consistency is great, the shade is great, but I was sadly disappointed when I got very shiny in an hour or two.
If your t-zone is oily like mine, you will shine quickly if you don't have some miracle anti-shine primer underneath.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Just buy it! Trust me! Don't hesitate. I can't believe I hesitated so long because I was so blown off by reviews that this was a dewy foundation and that didn't have a very long wear time. I am an oily girl and I kid you not, this sets matte and slowly becomes glowy throughout the day. The only foundation that came this close was the Estée Lauder double wear but that broke me out. So did the double wear light. The tone of the shades is amazing for my Mediterranean skin. I'm about an NC30 and wear the darkest which is 143. Very disappointing that the shade range doesn't go further than that... I actually find it a bit rude of the brand to be honest! My skin looks healthy and if I need to build it up I can. It's just amazing. I've tried every brand out there and they all have something wrong. Either don't last long or don't have the perfect shade. My quest is over... For now

I've been a fan of mineral makeup for years, but when I read the great reviews for Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation I decided to splurge. My one gripe with mineral foundations is their texture; as the day progresses, they can look "thick" on my skin. Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation looks like the texture of my skin and doesn't cleave around fine lines. It wears beautifully and doesn't oxidize, but I did notice that the color of my powder bronzer got a bit darker as the day went on. I have medium olive skin (NC 25-30) and couldn't decide between 123 and 143 (the latter being the darkest shade KGD offers in this foundation), so I went with both. It turns out that a blend of the two is ideal for me. It's now summer so I expect I'll fall back on 123 by itself in the winter. I apply with a slightly damp Beautyblender and the finish is a bit more matte than satin on me, but I wear waterproof sunblock beneath. Coverage is medium. I have a blue vein by one eye and I can still see it if I look closely. Texture-wise it's a definite improvement over my mineral makeup (IT Cosmetics Illuminating in Medium), but price-wise it's nuts, so I *think* I'll repurchase but who knows? Someone might have created an affordable dupe by the time I run out.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I LOVE the texture of this foundation. It feels like you're applying water to your skin and nothing more. It also blends like a dream, however.... It provides almost NO coverage on me. Applying layer after layer makes no difference. 3 layers looks exactly like 1 layer. It also doesn't last long and seems to accentuate flaws instead of hiding them, clinging to little dry patches and pooling around tiny scars, making them look 10x bigger. If you have absolutely perfect, makeup-optional skin, you will love this foundation. If you're like me and need a little help hiding flaws and just generally evening out your skin, this won't do it. Even with their primers, it just never looks good enough to justify the high price tag.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I tried this product for a few weeks before eventually returning it.

This product is notoriously rare outside of NYC and LA (if you're in America), so it made finding a color match very tricky. After reading reviews on several websites, I wound up going with 113 per the Beauty Professor's recommendation on her blog. I now know that the best course of action would be to contact Koh Gen Do's customer service directly as they do send out samples. The color offerings are very limited, so this in combination with not being common makes for a guessing game. if you are outside the medium range, you are pretty SOL (sorry ladies on both ends of the spectrum).

Allegedly, 113 is a yellow undertone according to several sources on the internet, but I didn't really find this to be the case. It made my face look much more pink and clashed with the undertones in my neck.

The formula itself is OK. It does wear pretty light, but it does not need a primer under it (even with my chronically dry skin, it does better without a primer than with.) I experimented with this product several ways: "Wayne Goss method" (powder under foundation), primer, without primer, powder on top. It looked fine each way, so it plays fairly nice. Powder under gives a slight boost to coverage, though. I found using my fingers and a brush was the best way to apply as the Beautyblender sucks up too much product and leaves with a very, very sheer amount on your skin.

It builds slightly well, but don't expect full coverage out of this formula, so if that's your jam, you will be disappointed. It can go to just under medium before it doesn't build further. It doesn't pill or anything like that, but it just doesn't add coverage. Therefore, it isn't really the best for concealing blemishes as well. If you don't mind those things, it is a fairly nice formula. Very lightweight and it doesn't transfer. It does really give a nice, natural, skin-like appearance without looking greasy.

For the price and the limited resources in finding it, I don't think I'd bother with this again. I prefer a little more coverage than what it offers.

Pros:

- Lightweight formula that does not transfer
- Light coverage (for those that like that)
- Does not transfer
- Glowy without greasy
- Abundant in pink undertones (for those that are)
- Customer service will provide samples (allegedly)

Cons:

- 113 is definitely not a yellow undertone contrary to their website
- Difficult to build
- Expensive
- Does not conceal blemishes