April 21, 2014 | 1422 users online

Shampoo - DermOrganic - Sulfate-Free Conditioning Shampoo

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2013 12:48:00 PM More reviews by CET13

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have been test-driving this product for nearly a year now, through all the various seasons and hair trials and tribulations. I must say, this is really an exceptional product. At first I was wary--the scent of the product was not really for me, in that I really like "clean" smelling hair products, but after several months of prolific hair shedding, scalp irritation and bumps, and a thinning hair line, those "clean" smelling products weren't doing me any favors. So I committed to switching to a sulfate free, good-for-you product, and this one fit the bill. Fast forward a year later, and I feel like I have a different head of hair. Pre-baby-in-my-20s hair. It is thicker, doesn't shed nearly as much, and it is elastic and full of volume. I can't say enough good things about this shampoo. I use it in conjunction with the DermOrganic hair masque (as my daily conditioner) and they are magical together. My only wee gripe is that it is so thick that once you reach the bottom of the bottle, its thickness goes crazy, rendering it kind of clumpy, making it difficult to get out. I have to invert the bottles, and unscrew the pump, and squeeze it out until it is gone. Annoying, but by no means a deal breaker. I used to buy the big liters at TJ Maxx, but they sell them now at Ulta, which is great (points!). Highly recommend if you have a super sensitive scalp and aging hair.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/17/2013 10:31:00 AM More reviews by sweetbabylace

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I just don't get the appeal with this at all. I'm not a fan of the smell (like a generic soap or something), and it actually makes my hair sort of flat. My hair rarely ever goes flat. I use conditioning shampoos all of the time, and usually do not have an issue with this. I just don't like this!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2013 5:25:00 PM More reviews by crivas

Love this product! After searching high and low for a hair product that was not so quite damaging to my hair I have finally found it. I have frizzy/wavy thin hair that is susceptible to breakage a lot! I used probably every brand at the drugstores possible (which is probably why I had so much breakage). Not only that I'm not one to splurge on hair products, I like myself a bargain. So after reading MUA reviews I decided to give this product a try, because this product is NOT cheap, before investing in an expensive product I bought the travel size pack with the DermOrganics Shampoo, Masque, and Deep conditioner in case I didn't like it after all. When I bought this product I also started out fresh with a new cut that way to give my hair a complete new start. Since then I've been in love! My hair is super soft and no longer has so much breakage. Definitely going to continue my use with this brand.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/1/2013 5:54:00 PM More reviews by blondiegoodlooks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Not perfect, but close to it.

This is an excellent, gentle/moisturizing shampoo that also does a great job of detangling. I would say it's slightly better overall in performance than SheaMoisture, and smells a bit nicer too, although the fragrance of this product is just "good" IMO (i.e., not great).

In terms of how my wavy/cowlicky hair looks after I use it: good, not great, but I will say it is soft and detangled, and to achieve that without a separate conditioner is not an easy feat.

Overall, highly recommended.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2013 12:34:00 PM More reviews by KatWKSF

I think I love this shampoo. I got it about a week ago, purchased largely because of the positive reviews I read here on MUA. I've washed with it twice now, on my highlighted, stringy, dry, damaged hair. My hair seems to love it. My hair is smooth & frizz free. I love the fact that this is a natural product, and it lathers. Yes, I can name several sulfate-free shampoos that lather, but not many that are also natural. I bought the shampoo in a pack with the conditioning masque and the leave-in oil (also great). The pump took me a second to figure out in the shower - it twists/untwists to lock and unlock, rather than where you twist it & the pump pops up & remains up. The product dispenses from the pump just fine (doesn't clog so far). I agree with other reviews here, though, the scent is ugh. VERY restroom handwash at a gas station smell. I'm thinking of adding a little essential oil to it to try and brighten it up, but then I might kill the lathering/cleansing properties. It's thankful not a strong scent and it definitely goes away. The product is a bit pricey and it definitely takes a big handful to get the job done, but I am willing to pay it for a natural & cruelty-free product that also actually works. It both cleanses & moisturizes my hair, which is more than I can say for the dozens of other shampoos I've tried at various pricepoints, many of which had nasty chemical ingredients.
**UPDATE** I find myself reaching for this shampoo...almost never. I've found so many other good "natural" shampoos with WAY better fragrances and some even with better performance. I am particularly hooked on the 100% Pure shampoos right now; they smell great, give my hair great shine, and provide loads of moisture. I just can't stand the smell of this stuff & I want my shower to be a completely enjoyable experience, and that includes enjoying all the fragrances of my products. I'm not going to downgrade my rating to "no repurchase," because I don't think that's fair. This stuff works well - better than most organic/ natural shampoos - it's just not the best I've found and I personally hate the smell.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2013 6:46:00 PM More reviews by Jaynne

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have a longer review under the DermOrganics Masque that includes my comments on the whole set. So far, I've cycled my dermorganic products in with other shampoo/conditioners, and avoided it for daily use after my hair dried out and suspected these products where contributing. Except for the oil, the products smell of cedarwood oil, which can be irritating, so I think if I use these products too much it tends dries my hair out. After cycling these products 'out' for a while, I decided, now that my hair is in stable condition, I'd try the entire set again, and WOW, I got the same first-time fabulous results!

I'm happy with my purchase overall, and my hair has been in good condition since introducing these products into my stable. Especially if I have product building up and damage, and my hair feels hard and I want a vavoom hit-the-reset-button on my hair, I wash thoroughly with this shampoo, followed with 30 minutes of the masque and a few drops of the the oil. My hair is full, lush (!), bouncy and full of movement and body.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2013 8:59:00 PM More reviews by VioletBick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

So not impressed. I had issues with pureology making my scalp pink & itchy & experienced the same with this product.. My hairdresser commented on my slightly irritated scalp & unlike other reviewers experiences, she was definitely not gushing about great my hair was when using the product. I got on close out at target for like $16 & that was still pretty pricey. I didn't like the fact it smelled like shaving cream! I also have concerns about the issue that reviewer zeusandcoco brought up about their animal cruelty policies. Feel this product is way over priced and just average at best.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2013 10:26:00 PM More reviews by Cheapchic

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I sought out this shampoo and the matching daily conditioner as a result of the reviews on MUA. I have thin hair and have been looking for a gentle but effective cleanser for my hair and scalp. Although the product is sulfate free, paraben free, vegan, these attributes were a bonus rather than a requirement for me. What I do look for is a rich lathering shampoo that cleans well without stripping. I was very pleased with the cleaning properties and will purchase it again IF I can find it at my nearby Winners. I paid $39.99 for a one litre bottle of this poo and a matching daily conditioner of the same size.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/13/2013 8:53:00 PM More reviews by Tashi09

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is a creamy lathering shampoo that lives up to the raves. Together with the hair masque it does a beautiful job on my shoulder length hair, which is wavy and has started to go a little frizzy as I have gotten older. This makes my hair very full, soft, and shiny. No frizz.

The main downside for me is the fragrance. I totally agree that the scent is cherry cough syrupy/ rest room deodorizer/ odd. But it's just odd in a way that fails to enhance my shower experience -- not odd in a way that clings to my hair in a cloying cloud of toxic fumes for a day and a half. (Although I did look for "No Pthalates" on the bottle and did not find it. The fragrance can't possibly be organic.)

Anyway, by the time my hair dries, the scent has calmed down a lot. For which I am grateful, because my hair look really good.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/3/2013 3:03:00 PM More reviews by cleotokos

I have been using this shampoo for a while, just finishing up the 1 litre bottle and I'm hoarding a couple more just in case! I got this for $20 at Winners which I think is totally reasonable. I love that I'm using a truly natural product (skin deep rating was 2 or 3, can't recall) and so far my hair has been much less dry and I've had far fewer split ends than I used to. This cleans without stripping my hair. I have a tendency to frizz and this combined with Ojon's Dry Recovery conditioner seems to mostly keep my frizzies at bay. I think I'm going to go clean out my local Winners now as I haven't seen this product sold anywhere else in Canada!