Estee Lauder Sumptuous Extreme

3.8

on 1/12/2015 11:09:00 AM

I got a free sample of this from a magazine. As soon as I started to put it on, I thought, 'why don't I always buy expensive mascaras, they are worth it really, because they feel so lovely when you put them on!'. It does. It feels great, smooth and light and caring. But the look isn't that different from cheaper mascaras. And I remembered why I don't always buy expensive mascaras, now. They come off. I always have black black under-eyes by the end of the day because expensive mascaras (maybe it's precisely because of that caring, smooth, light formula) come off my lashes. I know this doesn't happen to everyone and that mascaras are, for some reason, impossible to recommend to other people because we all seem to have incredibly unique experiences with them. It could be because I'm part East Asian and have sort of fleshier eyelids with flatter lower-lashes and other eyes have a more naturally bouncy-away-from-the-eye lash curl. Anyway, that's what I get from the Sumptuous Extreme: lovely, lovely feel. Not bad but not outstanding looks. Doesn't last half a day before it's all over my face.

on 1/2/2015 9:54:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Love. Went on smoothly and did not smudge. A total winner for me.

on 11/1/2014 5:09:00 PM

I rarely frequent the EL counter these days. I was previously enamored with their automatic lip pencil in the shade, "Fig," a wonderful neutral plum tone that worked with so many things. But I've since moved on to other pencils, so I usually just walk by EL and reminisce about the days when my signature scent was "White Linen" or "Beautiful." For whatever reason, I stopped by the counter and asked what they have to offer in the way of faux lashes in a tube. The sales associate said "Sumptuous Extreme" was the one to try , "This sells." She warned me about the too big brush being a bit of pain in the keister to use. I am thrilled with this product. Long, thick lashes, no smudging or transfer issues. Doesn't weigh my lashes down - helps keep the curl. There is a little clumping on the second coat, but that's when this mascara takes your lashes from meh to wow. I'm hooked.

on 7/19/2014 11:07:00 PM

Too expensive for the quality. Very wet, huge brush, thick formula. I guess it looks ok when it's on but.... Not worth the price tag.

on 6/15/2014 8:53:00 PM

I have three different mascaras in my makeup kit right now. One ck, one maybelline & sumptuous extreme. New applications of ck & maybelline always burn my eyes. The Estée Lauder does NOT do this. Plus, it curls, lengthens and makes my lashes look fuller. I will buy over and over again.

on 5/16/2014 1:35:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I got this as a gift. I'm a student and cheap in general, so I don't know if I would buy it myself. This mascara is GREAT! Long, full lashes with very little clumping. It even looks good on my bottom lashes, which I rarely find in mascara. The wand is a bit large, but I didn't have a problem with getting mascara on my eyelids. This is a great product, maybe a bit expensive though.

on 2/8/2014 10:34:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got this as a gift, so I actually don't need to care about the price. When I first tried it, it was amazing! It went on really black, really evenly, it always creates a lot of length and volume and spreads the lashes well. And it didn't flake and almost didn't smudge at all during the day (which is REALLY rare for me)! The problem is... after some time, this began to clump and make my lashes stick together to the point that I thought might not use this any more (2/3 of the tube left). The only thing that made this better was pumping the want vigorously in the tube (which I never do, really) and use another mascara want to brush my lashes out after application of this.

I find the shape of the wand a bit annoying: it's NOT as in the first picture - the hairs don't stand out in every direction, but are placed in a rather loose spiral (see the third picture), which doesn't give much separation when the product gets drier.
I loved this at first and even considered buying it when I ran out, but I think I will pass on this one - if the brush was better and I didn't need another brush to separate my lashes, this might be worth it - the formula is very good.

on 1/25/2014 1:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

The last couple of years I strayed from this and was using drugstore brands and I have been struggling with irritation along my lash line on and off. I recently returned to this because of a gift with purchase this Christmas and since I'm using this again I've not had any irritation whatsoever. This doesn't clump or flake off during the day and I haven't experienced smudging on my lower lash line unless I tear up from cold wind or cry. I like the way it applies, smooth and clumpless and then dries for a second coat and no clumps again, so very build-able. So many mascaras I've tried that apply dry and clumpy and then flake off during the day, this is actually pleasant to work with.

on 1/22/2014 3:10:00 AM

AMAZING!!!
great for all lashes
and is so easy to get off

on 12/23/2013 10:19:00 PM

I was originally given this as a gift and thought I'd try it out. Love at first sight! My lashes were fuller, thicker, voluminous - I can't fault it. I think the thick brush on the wand is great, separates my eyelashes brilliantly.

When I went to repurchase the item, the only mascara I could get a hold of at the time was the original sumptuous which I heard a lot of good things about so thought I'd give it a go but it just didn't give my eyes the same *pop* as the extreme so definitely sticking with the extreme.