Laura Mercier Invisible Loose Setting Powder

3.4

calcium aluminum borosilicate & silica.

on 5/30/2011 6:54:00 PM

I received this product as a generously sized sample with a Laura Mercier order. I've been using it daily and I really like it. A small amount of product minimizes the appearance of pores and gives a soft-focus effect. Since this is a silica powder, it does a great job of controlling shine. It wears nicely and doesn't feel heavy. I definitely plan on buying a full-sized jar once I finish my sample.

on 5/7/2011 12:56:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have used this for some time now and also have tried the similar MUFE as well as ELF's version, so feel qualified having tried low and high end comparisons. I find this to be somewhere between the two. I was shocked that I loved MUFE's the best and really and truly saw a difference between that and the ELF version. The ELF is so cheap that to try it was a no brainer, the LM powder was a free sample when I ordered from her site and the small size and lovely little fan brush it comes with are great to carry. I find this a nice powder, basically colorless and invisible, but nothing magical, so not an HG for me.

It just doesn't impart that clean, matte, youthful look the MUFE did and that the ELF supposedly does (they are said to be the same thing but the result is not the same for me). The LM sets my mu and I often use it to touch up, however, when I look in a mirror later, unlike with the MUFE that stayed fresh looking, I still see shine and I look like I'm wearing mu thats been on all day, and yes I have, but geez hate to look it! I find it necessary to compare the two because then MUFE was one of the first of the kind in this form and set a standard which I really thought a lot of hype until I tried and compared these products. The ELF will last me into the next century but if I were to purchase a full sized version of another such powder, it would not be the LM, nice, adequate, but nothing more. I should add I am a LM fan and love, love, love both the Secret Concealer and Secret Brightening powder so not loving this came as a surprise and a disappointment though realistically its hard to find a line one loves every product in. I feel if you have not tried the MUFE version of this you will actually be more impressed with this powder.

on 4/30/2011 2:24:00 PM

I received a sample of this at the LM counter, and I wasn't that impressed. I don't think I would buy it. It didn't seem like anything amazing or special (as I may have hoped.) Just sort of "eh."

on 4/3/2011 4:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is an initial review. The SA tried various powders on me, and this one looked the most natural on my skin. I'm over 50, so have to be careful what I use. It looks white in the canister, but on my fair NW20 skin it blends in well, thus the label "invisible." It seems to airbrush the look. This is a bit more matte than my Merle Norman loose mineral powder makeup. I am using my regular foundation brush now, but at some point I'd like to get a fan brush. The canister is nice, since there is a plastic covering on the inside which you can twist and control how much comes out and then it also won't get messy if traveling. $34 for the canister and I will weigh in later as I use it more often.

on 2/14/2011 6:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I also got a sample of this from Sephora. In the first 2 or 3 times wearing it, I didn't really see the difference. But, I just tried it again, I almost finish the container anyway. I can see little bit effect, close my pores and gives a bit of natural luminosity. I will purchase the retail size once I finish my Kanebo Lunasol loose powder, which is double the price of Laura Mercier. I do think LM one is better than MUF version or similar to Mac prep prime powder. I do recommend a light handed application first with this powder. Do try this and check yourself outdoor during the day. Indoor lighting will makes makeup looks different. Overall, the finish is natural. My fav loose powder so far is Nars Eden. This one might be my new fav.

on 1/20/2011 11:16:00 PM

I was given a sample of this at Sephora together with a sample of the new one by Smashbox (see separate review). This is in the same category as MUFE's HD silica powder. I didn't like this very much. Of the three I mentioned here, this is the one that feels the grittiest. Also, it's the most expensive of the three. I'll stick to my beloved MUFE HD, with the Smashbox a good second (especially because it's cheaper).

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

This loose powder is called Universal, it has no color and appears white in the jar. I got this as a free sample with a fan brush from Sephora. I used it for the first time yesterday and was less than impressed with it. It practically did nothing and gave me a dull finish. Next time I will try applying with a puff instead of the brush it came with. I guess it would be useful for those with shiny areas after applying foundation. I like a more dewy look and this powder gave me the opposite look. My favorite loose powder is Armani's Micro fil - but the price is so prohibitive-So i thought this would be a bit more affordable-but the finish is not what I am looking for.

Recommended for Normal Skin