October 1, 2014 | 1873 users online

Polishes - Orly - Galaxy Girl

rated 2 of 5 on 7/26/2011 9:42:00 AM More reviews by HollyBee23

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm really disappointed in Galaxy Girl. To me, the shimmer falls flat unless you are in direct sunlight, and just ends up looking weird. Like a weird smudge of color mixed in the deep purple/burgundy base. Also, I didn't realize that it was more expensive than normal Orlys at $10 a pop until after I purchased it.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2011 8:48:00 AM More reviews by JabberwockJess

Burgundy base with purple/blue duochrome glass fleck finish. This is very interesting and definitely an unusual polish. Takes three coats to be totally opaque and the brush is terribly thin but the colour itself is very cool if you are into very dark polishes with character.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/29/2011 10:00:00 PM More reviews by nikkiwikki

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

Galaxy Girl is a deep purple, with multichrome shimmer. It's like a glittery bruise! It's definitely eye-catching. My main issue with this polish, is the fact that it needs three coats to be opaque. For $10, I want my polishes to be more pigmented.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/24/2011 2:51:00 PM More reviews by trishkai

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

this is like mac's club eyeshadow in NP form

rated 2 of 5 on 1/23/2011 12:56:00 PM More reviews by Kipper8588

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I believe that this comes out as more of a brown/black than a purple with "shimmer" like I expected. I think younger people (or other people my age) might like it, but I don't do dark polish unless its a flat brown.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2011 12:47:00 PM More reviews by chillychili

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is an awesome color. A dark eggplant with a light teal and pink duo/multi chrome. Beautiful. About 2 thick or 3 thin coats for opacity. Totally worth it though for the awesome color. Got so many compliments. As usual Orly's rubberized cap was awesome and I think it looks extra chic in black. Would definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2011 8:17:00 AM More reviews by Giuliocci

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Galaxy Girl is a nice blue-purple polish; you probably will need to apply two coats at least to have the right colour payoff, but boy, that's worth it! The colour is pretty dark, so I wouldn't use it by day; anyway, light makes it so sparkly and unique!
I'm really pleased with this polish. I'd recommend to use a top coat for a better lasting power.
Nice dupe for MAC's Formidable!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/22/2010 12:20:00 AM More reviews by lovejkras

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I so badly wanted to like this polish! In general I'm not a huge Orly fan (the formula doesn't work well for me) but as soon as I heard about this collection I had to get this color. I looked for it everywhere and finally found a display at my local beauty store, and it was $7. Score!

Application was meh, as I said I'm not a huge fan of Orly as a brand. But boy does this come out sheer! It took about 3 coats to achieve opacity.

The color is eh, the blue sparkles show up nicely, but I'm not a fan of the base color..almost bruise like. I'm pretty sure this will just be a pedicure color in the winter, because I would never wear this on my fingers...just doesn't suit me.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2010 12:35:00 PM More reviews by whyknot

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

This polish is part of the Cosmic FX Fall 2010 collection which, according to Orly, "features shades made with exclusive Mineral FX raw material technology, which delivers multi-dimensional lacquers that reflect light in a sparkling spectrum of intense color." I was drawn to this at Ulta because it looked so unique, and even though I need another nail polish like I need a hole in the head, I couldn't resist.
In the bottle, this looks like a blued purple base with blue sparkle. But it is one of those that changes as you move it in the light, so its almost impossible to describe. The base changes with colors with the light, and so does the sparkle. It actually reminded me of those old duo-chrome Sally Hansen polishes with names like "Lapis Amethyst" and "Garnet Lapis" which looked so great in the bottle and so tacky on. That similarity really made me cautious, but i swatched bit of the polish on a strip of paper, and when applied its not the same effect at all.
One coat of this surprises as its actually a reddish brown mauve base with blue and purple micro glitter. The glitter is not chunky at all - it's tiny! The color with one coat was really cool, actually - unlike anything I have ever seen, but my nails are a little long and I needed more coverage so I went ahead and did another coat. On the second coat, its much more purple, but the shimmer is also thicker, so it totally transforms the color.
I am doing a terrible job of describing this, so please see the photos I added (one of one coat, and one with 2 coats), which still don't do it justice. It is lighter in person than the photos, more of a medium tone dark color than a goth dark with sparkles. The camera just couldn't quite capture it.
I will say, this is the coolest polish i have found in a LONG time. and its subtle. Much more subtle and classy on than any of the chunky glitter polishes that are everywhere right now, or any of the duochrome holographic polishes of a few years ago that looked so cool in the bottle and so horrid on.
Two things I don't like about this: 1) the price. $10 for Orly is insane. 2) the brush. It has the old skinny brush, and I am just all about the wide brush these days. That being said, this applied like a dream, had the perfect thin consistency to allow me to go back over the coat to even it out, and just looks cool as hell. I would def but this again, and you should too!