Up & Up Maximum Strength Acne Medication (10% Benzoyl Peroxide Gel)

4.2

Carbomer, disodium EDTA, hydroxypropyl methyl cellulose, laureth-4, soudium hydroxide, water

on 1/4/2014 3:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

HG skin care product. Im a teen, and i started breaking out a few years ago. I tried the st ives face scrub around last year and my skin freaked out from it. I got horrible cystic acne and whiteheads, and immediately discontinued use, but the acne stayed. I got really into skincare and now, over a year later, I never break out anymore. I still have the scars though, but theyre slowly lightening. Here's what i use:
-Carisonic Mia 2 (usually only at night, morning and night if i feel a breakout coming. I use this with either the purpose gentle cleansing wash OR the queen helene mint julep scrub)
-Purpose gentle cleansing wash (morning and night)
-Clindamycin Phosphate topical solution 1% (night only, presctiption)
-Up & Up benzoyl peroxide gel (morning and night)
-CeraVe moisturizing cream (morning and night)
Then twice a week at night after washing my face:
-Queen Helene mint julep scrub (w/ carisonic mia 2 and the sensitive brush head)
-Queen Helene mint julep mask

I love love love this product. I actually used to use the clean & clear version of this, but one time when i went to get it they were out, so grudgingly I bought this instead. Best descision ever. This works so much better! It dries my skin out less but i noticed a difference in breakouts right away. Its also a thinner consistincy. I hated how thick the clean and clear one was. Even better? This is a couple bucks LESS. I cant live without this stuff and I've probably gone through ten or more tubes. I use the tubes up pretty quickly (each one only lasts around a month) but i use this all over my acne prone areas (cheeks, center of forehead, nose, chin) both morning and night, and also as a spot treatment at night. It can dry me out, but not when i follow with the CeraVe moisturizing cream. I cant reccommend this enough, its seriously so much better (for my skin) than the clean & clear version.

Love this stuff!

on 9/30/2013 3:31:00 PM

Bottom line is BP is the miracle topical product to get rid of acne and Target's generic brand works as well as anything I've tried. I use a lower percentage all over for my face in another brand, but I get Folliculitis (basically body zits). Applying a thin layer after a shower took the away severe, and I mean BAD, sore, red irritated zits in a couple days. I had a break out on my butt from sitting in wet bathing suits and it would not let up for a month, this helped so much.

on 5/18/2013 2:48:00 AM

This product is amazing. The reviewers who said it peeled are using WAY too much. You seriously need the tiniest amount. NOTHING has ever cleared my face this much, and I've been suffering with acne for over 10 years. It even gets rid of cystic acne- you know the huge underground ones? I use this stuff when I first feel the bump forming, and the pimple never comes up! Seriously, for the, I believe, $4 or so that this cost me, it is 500% worth it.

on 4/9/2013 9:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I use mua pretty much everyday. I am a product junkie...
I have purchased SOOOO many different products from the referrals here on this site, too many to name and alot of them have become part of my everyday routine.
SO of all the brands and ALL the products in the last few years I have finally come across one that I just cannot keep to myself. I must post.
Figures it's the cheapest and most of the bunch.
This target brand Benzoyl peroxide! Omg. Seriously???
I'm 30. I have the same sob story as way too many people out there " I have tried everything since I was 9 years old from antibiotics, hollistic approaches, accutane 6 times! Visualizations, yes, I said that. I have washed, cleansed, peeled, picked, lasered, detoxed, supplemented, juiced, prayed! etc etc etc."
I was exhausted. My last try was something called tepezcohuite that came as a balm. I waited and waited and when it finally came, I felt I had got my hands on the holy grail of skincare I had heard so many unreal claims to how well this worked . Um, no. I broke out really really bad from it. I was at my wits end.
I went to target to buy some concealer when I came upon this product. I threw it in my hand basket and kept shopping...
That was last thursday. It's tuesday now and girls I never ever thought I'd say this but
"I HAVE NO ZITS" .
NONE. I had at least 12 to spot treat on thursday. 12!
So again, seriously??? I don't think it cost me more than 5 bucks!!!
I did switch out my cleanser of natural honey to cetaphils clear cleanser and the gel bp and thats ALL i'm using.
I want to cry and I think it's because I'm so angry that this was all I needed this entire time. ugh!
I have to mention gossmakeupartist on youtube, he had a vid on how to deal with acne , I didn't follow the his instruction in its entirety but what I did take from it (benzoyl peroxide) seemed to be all I needed . Love that guy!
I am going to ease up on application, I dont want to dry out the undamaged skin. Now to hunt down the perfect moisturizer...

on 4/6/2013 1:18:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Sadly one of my regular items that I bought was a benzoyl peroxide that I think got discontinued a long time ago, which is why I switched to the next best alternative a few years back.

When summer hits my skin gets super oily, and my acne really flares up at its worst. Which was why I made sure to keep benzoyl peroxide in stock, as well as for the occasional breakout after the seasons changed.

While it may not have be quite as cheap or generously packaged, Target's benzoyl peroxide was actually fairly close to the old product that I use to use.

I try to use it sparingly in areas where acne is developing, and it does help in that department, shrinking it until it disappears completely.

Although I have had some irksome situations where most of it is stuck at the very end of the tube and I'm forced to squeeze it out-which unfortunately leads the cream to suddenly start spewing out of it like a volcano and wasting a good amount of it. xP

But aside from prices and a packaging it is a good product that does it's job for me, and I'm still inclined to buy it for myself when I need that extra bit of attention to very stubborn acne.

on 2/22/2012 3:29:00 PM

I have the occasional break out here and there. I have tried SO many acne products throughout the years and it's very disheartening when nothing seems to work. I went into target and this product caught my eye. '10 % benzoyl peroxide means it HAS to work'. It was pretty cheap so I gave it a go. I started using this about 6 days ago. I just dab some on my spots before bed and I sleep with it on. The next morning the zit is completely dried out and the redness is gone. I have tried a lot of acne meds throughout the last few years. Some expensive but I never thought up and up brand from target could work this well.

on 2/11/2012 5:08:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

After cleansing I apply a thin area on my forehead which is my trouble area. Ive been using it now for several weeks and its hard to pin point whether this product has worked because I started using argan oil as my moisturizer the week prior to starting this product. I have noticed that the texture of my skin has improved. I have small acne bumps on my forehead and those seemed to have lessen. This also seems to keep the bigger pimples at bay. Whatever the cause for my better skin I will continue my regimen.

Once it dries it is white and flaky at times but that is only because you've applied too much or did not spread it well.
TIP/SOLUTION: Apply on damp skin and wet fingers.
Makes a huge difference and helps it absorb into your skin!

Update: I am almost done with the tube and my forehead has improved a lot :D I recall applying moisturizer/primer to my forehead and could feel tiny bumps beneath the surface of my skin. Now my forehead is clear of those small bumps. I will continue using and update if any changes occur.

Months later. My pimples and the texture of my forehead has vastly reduced (no more subsurface tiny bumps that I barely notice but definitely could feel), and no more larger pimples. Occasionally I will get something but not of the same magnitude and not as frequent as I used to.

Result = OMG HG Acne treatment!! I thought my clearer skin was because I went off foundation and switched to powder but Im back on foundation and/or BB cream so its not it.

on 9/23/2011 11:04:00 PM

I really wanted to like this but I had the same problem as the previous reviewer.. This stuff peels and rubs off easily, especially if you use too much. Once it dries, you can see the white spots on your face where it was applied. It works well enough... but then again pretty much every 10% benzoyl peroxide gel or cream I've tried works on my skin. I much prefer the clean and clear persa-gel even if it's over 2x the price of this one. I would not buy this again unless they change the formula. The only good thing about this product is the price... at my local Target, it costs $1.97 before tax. However, if I was on a budget, I would rather buy CVS or Walgreen's brand. Both are more expensive than Up & Up, but slightly cheaper than Clean and Clear. Also, keep in mind that anything with benzoyl peroxide may bleach your clothing, pillow cases, towels, etc. I always use white towels and cover my pillow cases when I use this stuff.

I am a user of benzoyl peroxide for 20 years, and feel it truly is the best pimple fighter. This version is a little more inexpensive than Clean and Clear Persa Gel. I have used the C&C, Up and Up and the Walgreens knock off. C&C is the best, followed by Up&Up and then the Walgreens brand. The only drawback to this one is that it pills up after applying moisturizer so it can mess with makeup application. I would prefer to purchase the other 2 options.

It does keep pimples at bay, so if using at night, it works great.

on 12/14/2010 4:21:00 PM

I know a lot of people have issues with putting store brand products on their face, but in this case, this Target brand product works just as well as ZapZyt or Clean & Clear and I have to write a review. Last night, about an hour after moisturizing, I looked in the mirror and saw a whitehead forming and several small red bumps below it. I wasn't breaking out from my night cream, which I've used for a year. The breakouts I get are few and far between, and when they happen, I pick at them no matter how much I tell myself how bad it is for my skin. Instead of trying to pop the whitehead that had already appeared, I stopped and decided on dabbing a q-tip of rubbing alcohol over the area (very tiny amount and ONLY on the whitehead and bumps) to clean it then applying this BP. This morning, the whitehead and bumps were GONE. There's not a trace of anything! There's nothing to even try to pick at! I'm so excited! We all know BP works, but this is the first time something like this has happened to me - BP has never worked THIS well for me. I had to share that not only did I stop a breakout in its tracks, but I did it with store brand BP.

Popular Treatments (Face)