April 16, 2014 | 979 users online

Mascara - Shiseido - Nourishing Mascara Base

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2013 9:30:00 AM More reviews by beaniewienie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I never thought that using a mascara base was necessary. I layer a lengthening with a voluminzing mascara & I figured that would be the same thing, but it's not. I love this base. It's a clear gel that coats & separates my lashes. My mascara glides on over it with no clumping. When I curl my lashes (I curl them before I apply anything & then, yes I do, I re-curl them after I am sure that my mascara is dry. After warming my lash curler slightly on my flat iron.) they curl up so pretty! I love this base & it's something I didn't really have any faith in. I'm so glad I tried it.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2013 2:26:00 AM More reviews by izumilove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I haven't tried too many mascara primers/bases but I do really like this one. It doesn't cover the lashes with white goop or fibres which are hard to cover, lengthens and thickens lashes, and holds a curl! Mascaras which normally weigh down my lashes, can be worn on top of this base! It doesn't enhance your lashes to the point that they look dramatic, but it does enhance the look of them and for Asian girls; it's a dream to be able to hold a curl! It also removes fairly easily too. As another reviewer said: apply mascara while the base is still wet/drying, when doing this it applies smoothly, allowing you to avoid clumping. It its a little expensive, but I only do a quick brush through my lashes and the formula/brush only deposits a small amount of formula, preventing wasted product. It also does not expire as quickly as mascara. I'm assuming that anyone can reap the benefits of this, but I think at the very least, it is a product worth checking out if you have Asian lashes that cannot hold a curl.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/4/2013 1:34:00 PM More reviews by chechi

I used to think mascara bases were a gimmick until I tried a lancome sample I received from Sephora... I loved it. I thought I would try this one because it's a clear base - I absolutely love the fact that it's clear; love how easily my mascara glides on my lashes and that my lashes look amazing with the base on. It is a bit difficult to remove (compared to the lancome version) but the Neutrogena or a drug store version of eye makeup remover should be sufficient.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2013 8:28:00 PM More reviews by rebeccapang

beauty in a tube! I love this, gunna try the Japanese shiseido majolica next !

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2013 6:46:00 PM More reviews by helloroo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

If you have stick straight lashes or have trouble holding a curl all day (even with waterproof mascara) you need to get this. This lengthens, volumizes, and preps the lashes for all day wear. this does not provide a false eye lash effect but for me it gives me a natural better than my regular eyelashes look. an important tip: put on the mascara while the the nourishing base is still wet.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2013 2:46:00 AM More reviews by Viclovesmakeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Holy grail product even with the killer price tag. Prevents smudging of mascara and maintains a beautiful curl all day and all night. Would repurchase over and over!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2013 11:46:00 PM More reviews by sprite26

This product has a different formula from most of the other lash primers out there. It is a clear gel instead of a white cream. It gives great added length and volume, plus excellent lash separation. Very smooth and clump-free application also. I was impressed with the overall effect and I can see why this gets so many positive reviews.
But it was nearly impossible to wash off! An unpleasant surprise. Even after double-cleansing I could still feel the product residue on my lashes. Maybe this isn't a problem for those who regularly use strong eye makeup remover, but I don't. Wouldn't repurchase this unfortunately.
I have tried lash primers by Clinique, Tarte, Dior, Hard Candy, Lancome, Origins, and now Shiseido. I think that Lancome makes the best one.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2013 4:09:00 PM More reviews by Laughing010

I LOOOVE IT! Keeps my straight asian eyelashes curled, that's all I ever wanted! I've tried cliniques eyelash primer before this but it wasn't as good as shiseido's.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2013 10:30:00 AM More reviews by bobadreamer

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love. I have thick lashes that are decently long, but they are SO STUBBORN and hate holding a curl. I hated the Dior mascara base because as soon as I would apply it, my lashes would uncurl, this Shiseido base doesn't do that. It's a rather dry formula, which is probably why it works so well. It's one of the only products that actually holds my curl up and for that, I give it a 5.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2013 4:51:00 PM More reviews by icloverbby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

First I just want to declare that this product is my HG!

I have stubborn straight lashes that point downward. All mascaras (except for WP ones) drag down the curls. I don't like wearing WP mascaras because they are difficult to remove and many tend to flake.

With this base, I can definitely wear any mascara I like. It will help hold up the curls so easily and nicely. Also my lashes stay soft after mascara application.

I only apply one coat. It dries fairly quickly. It doesn't clump my lashes and doesn't appear white at all (unlike MAC prep+prime lashes). It does lengthen my lashes. But I count on my mascara for length and volume.

tl;dr

For those who have "downcast" stubborn lashes that refuse to stay curled, this base will help eliminate that problem. Very HG-material if you're concerned with curling.