April 20, 2014 | 1458 users online

Liquid - Chanel - Vitalumiere Aqua Ultra-Light Skin Perfecting Makeup SPF 15

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2014 11:38:00 AM More reviews by stellar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Before purchasing this product, I did a LOT of research (but apparently still not enough). I watched nearly every youtube video about it and read many reviews here on MUA and on various blogs. I considered buying it for a little over a year, and just recently finally placed my order. This foundation was a massive fail for me in nearly every way possible. I should start by saying that I'm 30 years old and have normal/dry, somewhat sensitive, but overall, rather youthful skin. It's usually just normal but it *can* dry out very quickly due to various face washes, moisturizers, foundations, powders, etc., so I have to be careful with what I use. Before buying this product I had heard that it's geared more toward those with oily skin, yet the website itself does not state that, and many reviewers said they had combo/oily skin and it just slid right off. I also heard many reviewers state that they had dry skin and it worked perfectly well for them. I had also heard the scent of this foundation described as "light" and "faint" and smelling of "rose water." When I first took off the cap and smelled the product I was shocked. It is neither light, nor faint, and it certainly does not smell of rose water. It smells like a bottle of perfume - no joke. It's not an entirely unpleasant smell, but it's horrendously strong. I'm a MAC NC15/NARS Gobi and I bought shade B10 which was a nearly perfect color match. But that was the only positive.

The first time I applied this foundation I had used a water-based gel moisturizer. That made sense to me since it is a water-based foundation. I had read so much about it being so "dewy" and "luminous" that I wanted to make sure my moisturizer wouldn't be too rich and greasy, making the product slide off my face and become greasy looking. The application and finish of this foundation was just odd. I'm not even sure how to describe it. I used my fingers (as recommended) to apply it. It felt like it was applying smoothly and evenly, but when I was done it looked weird and uneven. I had no problem with the *amount* of coverage it gave, but the end result just didn't look right. My skin wasn't dewy at all but I did see a bit of luminosity. Looking at it close-up though, it just had a... grainy appearance. It didn't *feel* grainy (it actually did make my skin feel incredibly smooth to the touch) but it just *looked* that way. So strange. My face looked dried out and AGED. My fine lines were highly accentuated, and it clung to any dry areas I didn't even know I had. I should note that my face smelled like someone sprayed it with perfume throughout the entire day. The scent *does not* dissipate. (I should also note that I have, use, and love both MAC's Face and Body and Shiseido's Sun Protection foundation so I'm familiar with water-based foundations and know how to use them.)

So I thought maybe I just hadn't done a good enough job of applying it. Tried it again the next day and had the same result. In looking at it closer - especially in natural light - I realized that it looked as though my skin was literally *drinking* the foundation. Like the second I was applying it to my skin it was just absorbing the majority of it, leaving a look of very little, dried out coverage. So I then thought that maybe I needed to try a richer moisturizer with it after all. I tried that the next day, and while it did help it to look a tiny bit more hydrated and it didn't cling so much to dry areas, it really did little to change the overall result. It didn't look quite as grainy, but my lines were still accentuated and it only got worse throughout the day. I honestly felt like I looked absolutely horrible and was embarrassed when I had to go out in public. This may sound silly but I even thought that maybe my contact lenses were at fault. The first day I tried this foundation was also the first day I wore my new contacts (my prescription was bumped up a little) and I thought that maybe it was just because I could finally see all the detail in my face again, and that that was why it looked so harsh. So I tried a different foundation today and my skin looks smooth and supple. So it wasn't the contacts, after all. =P

This foundation is being returned. After being baffled as to why I wasn't getting the super smooth, perfect glowy look that seemingly everyone else was, I specifically searched for negative reviews for it. Surely I couldn't be the only one, right? I ended up reading that alcohol is third on the ingredients list, which explains the dried out look my face had, and also why my skin seemed to "drink" the product. It also contains parabens. Shame on me for not reading the ingredients list before ordering. That's completely my own fault; I just didn't think ingredients were something I'd have to worry about with such a high-end, prestigious line like Chanel. I should know better. So in the end, even if this foundation HAD worked for me, I would have sent it back based on the high alcohol content alone. That is SO BAD for your skin, even if you don't visibly react to it. It can cause lasting damage to your skin and accelerate visible ageing, which is the exact opposite of what we're trying to achieve. Highly disappointed in this product. ETA: I've been looking into other very high-end foundations today to try to find something similar to what I wanted the Chanel VA to be, and every.single.one. I'm looking at (Dior, Armani, Guerlain, etc.) contain high amounts of alcohol, fragrance, and parabens. Seriously?! Why are all these ridiculously expensive products packed full of harmful, irritating, and CHEAP ingredients?! Shouldn't we be getting healthy, quality products from them? ETA Part II: Yesterday was the first day I didn't wear the Chanel. I had worn it for three days in a row. Last night I noticed that my cheeks are now full of bumps and my skin overall is a dry mess. Could not possibly dislike VA more.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2014 11:26:00 PM More reviews by Andi2010

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Great things really do come in small packages.. having said that I would have preferred glass packaging as it just seems more classy.. and the price for this small plastic bottle does seem exorbitant if you are purchasing from NZ even on strawberry.net - but there's always a justification for a make-up purchase :)

This foundation has a very liquid consistency so you really don't need much at all, I just warm a little in my hand, dot on and blend with a flat top brush, its very forgiving that it doesn't dry ultra fast so you have time to blend for a beautiful natural coverage.

I love the natural real skin look this foundation gives, the shade stays true all day. I'm NC15 and have this in 10 Beige (arm swatch above) which is a perfect match for me. My skin does tend to get shiny in the T-zone after a few hours but a quick blot and we look as good as new again.

I've had this bottle a long time and its a great one to travel with - so even though it looks teeny tiny it does seem to be lasting well and I will be looking to re-purchase when its all done and dusted.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2014 9:43:00 PM More reviews by makeupjie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

My HG everyday foundation. It does not clog my pores or accentuate them, neither does it show up my lines around nose and eye areas. More importantly, it does not break me out like most other foundations I have used in the past. I like the coverage, it is suitable for daily usage if you want a natural look!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/30/2014 10:04:00 AM More reviews by Airplanejunkie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

MY HOLY GRAIL. I bought this foundation just over a year ago and it has never failed me! Gives a light- medium coverage but can definitely be built up to medium! Can apply with both a brush or fingers, although i prefer to use my fingers And then blend with a brush. There's been a few comment about the smell but I actually really like it! Even on my oily skin it lasts a good 5/6 hours, One really annoying thing about it is that you have to shake it really well and when you're in a hurry it can be annoying to make sure it mixes well. Other than that this product is perfect! Price is on the higher side but can definitely be justified by the amazing product!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/23/2014 6:28:00 PM More reviews by arobejsek

this is an amazing foundation, really has a nice finish and feels so nice on skin, though if you're looking for full coverage i wouldn't recommend. It is pretty expensive for the size, at around $60 or $65. I mix it with a higher coverage foundation and use concealer on blemishes.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2014 10:54:00 AM More reviews by Jeanmarykay

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have about 12 foundations in my drawer. I have mostly clear skin, but some acne scars on my chin and nose. So I kept buying foundations with medium coverage thinking that would be the best. But, I finally decided to try a more sheer foundation and instead cover those acne scars with concealer. Wow, am I much happier with the way my skin looks. Make no mistake, this is very, very light coverage, almost sheer. But trust me, your skin will feel better as long as you don't need more coverage all over your face. I put some concealer on the spots before I apply this without rubbing the concealer. Then I use Mac's foundation brush and apply a few streaks around my face. Be careful, because too much will come out of the bottle if you're not careful. A little is all you need. Then I use the foundation brush to blend it in. And if the acne scars are still showing, I use just a dab of Nars concealer again. The color selection is very good too. My skin is very fair and many lines don't have a light enough color for me. But this blended well. I dab MFU micro powder on my nose and chin and that's it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2014 8:00:00 PM More reviews by Ljbailey

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Been using this foundation in Beige 30, for over a year and a half now, on my 3rd bottle and it is my holy grail! I have tried many foundations and always switch back to this. I apply with a stipple brush, which leaves me looking flawless. Absolute staple in my makeup bag! I get so many comments on how smooth and soft my skin looks with this foundation, and it smells so fresh :) You can wear this as a sheer cover or build up to a full coverage, in my opinion it works well in all seasons. Fantastic product and is worth every penny!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2014 2:00:00 PM More reviews by eimearsg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is Holy grail for me ... It goes on like a moisturiser but yet covers quite well ! It literally looks like a second layer of skin ! Definitely a my skin but better look ... A lot of people saying that it doesn't last very long but mines literally lasts all day in fact I acc like it better a few hours after it been on as it looks more glowy !! If your looking for a low coverage natural foundation that looks just like your skin then this is it !!! If you like a full coverage matte look this is not going to work for you !! Fab foundation tho IMO

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2014 12:30:00 PM More reviews by BrandonBoston

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Grey, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

As a guy, I really don't use any makeup but I got a sample of the Vitalumiere Aqua with an online purchase for Chanel skincare products. I really liked how sheer it was and that it had an SPF15 added. I am also a skin cancer survivor who has to be very careful about sun exposure. Since I have some discolourations and also very oily skin, I like to have something to even out my annoying skin tone. This product does it better than most. I don't use it everyday or anything, but when my appearance is important to me, I find that a VERY SMALL amount goes a long way for me and I feel like a million bucks.

My only 'con' with this product is that it does little to combat oil, so I find myself blotting my skin after a couple of hours. I'm concerned a bit about what the performance will be for me once the hot months of Summer arrive. Between my over-oily skin and Summer perspiration, will this product hold up? I'll update this review once the Summer has come & gone.

Overall though, I think this product is great and I especially like the fact that I can use it for very sheer coverage (which I always opt for!), or build it up should I ever find a reason to do so. Very adaptable and workable foundation! If you want a full coverage foundation, I would suggest looking at other Chanel options.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2014 8:10:00 PM More reviews by Ebecks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I tried this a year ago via a sample and I brushed it off not thinking much of it. However I impulse bought this and thank god, because I LOVE it! The coverage is light to medium. It has a natural finish that is some where between dewy and matte. The shade range isn't decent and I found a perfect match. The price is decent seeing the product is amazing. I also splurge on two things, skincare and bases. Worth the price and worth looking into. Do make sure to get samples or make sure your store has a good return policy since the shades have pink, yellow undertone variations.