July 28, 2014 | 1760 users online

Liquid - Revlon - Colourstay in Buff

rated 4 of 5 on 12/20/2013 2:18:00 PM More reviews by evarosie

I bought this foundation a few months ago to combat the oilier areas on my nose, chin and forehead and red areas on my cheeks. The foundation is much higher coverage than i normally go for, but a small amount goes a long way so it doesn't look fake and looks natural when blended in well. I found that it could be a little drying, but coupled with a good primer the foundation goes on smooth and keeps my skin matte but bright all day, normally without any need to touch up. I sometimes use a brush but think that using fingers is just as good, especially because the foundation dries quite quickly! only downside is that there's no pump on the bottle which makes it a bit messy!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/9/2013 1:04:00 AM More reviews by ericajaneee

After reading so many good reviews of this foundation on this website I was very excited to try it! Before I even tried it the first thing I disliked was the price. Here in Australia a bottle of this stuff goes for about $35, which in my opinion in a bit too pricey for a drug store foundation. Once I got it home and opened it I was really hoping that the actual quality of the foundation inside would make up for the amount I paid, sadly I was disappointed.
The bottle I bought had a pump on it which was good because it made it easy to control the amount of foundation that was dispensed, and the bottle fitted nicely in my hand size wise. The first thing I noticed when I pumped out the foundation was the smell and texture. Scent wise it had a strong, almost chemically smell to it which I didn't particularly like, and the texture of the foundation was very runny.
Still holding out for the quality of the foundation I applied a little onto my stippling brush from Blank Cosmetics and proceeded to gently buff it onto my skin. Almost immediately the foundation began to make the skin underneath my eyes sting quite badly. Now I don't consider myself to have sensitive skin after trying numerous drug store foundations, but this foundation has made me start to wonder otherwise!
I continued to buff it in, now pretty desperately holding out for something in the foundation formula that would make it worth the price I paid.
The foundation did buff in quite nicely, but by no means did it give my skin a natural finish. I have tried applying it with my fingers and a brush and also with primer underneath but every time it has sunk very quickly into my pores and really accentuated them and also given an unnatural, almost cakey finish! I also always have to use a little powder over my foundation on account of my oily skin so I don't get oily during the day, and this foundation did not perform well at all with powder over the top, it went extremely cakey looking!
I do have to say though, in terms of staying power this foundation is very good! I've tried wearing it for the whole day, from mid morning to really late at night and I didn't experience any flaking, slipping or transferring at all! It also has a very good coverage, it covered over all my acne scarring and even pimples without needing any concealer over the top.

Overall:

Pros:
- Has very good coverage.
- Has really good staying power and doesn't transfer, slip or flake for over 10+ hours.
-The bottle is a good size.
-The bottle has a pump on the top now, which makes the product easy to dispense.
-Buffs in quite easily.

Cons:
- Price (here in Australia at least!)
- Made the skin under my eyes sting quite badly, even though I don't consider myself to have sensitive skin.
- Had an unnatural almost cakey finish when applied with both fingers and a make-up brush.
- Sunk into and really accentuated my pores.
- Went very cakey with powder applied on top.

I was disappointed with this foundation overall, and I most likely will not be looking to purchase it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2013 6:34:00 AM More reviews by Zelmora

I think I went a little bit too light with this color, when I saw it in person (it's not available in my country) I thought it's gonna look very ashy and pale on me, but with a pea sized amount and stippling brush it blends beautifully, even more so with fingers if you're doing your own makeup. Seems to be very buildable, there is no overbearing scent and the texture dries into a smooth, not completely flat but matte, kinda powdery finish so it looks and feels very light and natural. This color corresponds to MAC ~NC20 but it is neutral toned - I have pink undertones and this evens out my skin color very nicely. Overall a lovely product, only problem for me is obviously the dumb glass bottle without a pump. I'm still going to get this in different colors for my kit though.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/6/2013 5:09:00 AM More reviews by PrincessBean

Revlon Colour Stay.

They have CHANGED THE FORMULA, Aaaaaarrrgghhhhh!

Why when Revlon colourstay got lots of praise and humdinger reviews on how superlative it is, did they go and change the formular.

My colour Buff, is now too light, and people have actually been saying that I look quite pale. Worse though than this, the foundation goes on fine at first, but after two hours it separates and goes particle cakey and streaky! I hate that. The reason why I used Revlon Colourstay is that it actually looks like I am wearing no foundation, NOW, it is the OPPOSITE. The effect on my skin is rubbish, and my ruddy skin actually looks better without it!!! Go figure.

The other bad thing about the new formula is it’s staying power. It lasts as long as the previous formula but TAKING IT OFF!!! Is sooooo hard. It is clingier than a baby koala bear! When I clean my skin with my very deep cleanser, this stuff is still on my face afterwards!! You can still see a thin layer on the skin so I gave up: effectively I was SLEEPING IN MY MAKE-UP which we all know is a bad no- no!! I could also see it collecting, dry, in my pores after a couple of days. No wonder others have complained that the new form broke them out! Gasp sigh, I am actually upset that they have changed the formula from brill to shrill. I wrote to Revlon to tell them of this. Apparently, several others have also complained about the new pants formula. I am actually upset. It was the only one I could rely on for staying power, coverage, and flawless finish ( improved even more-so with benefit porefessional primer ). Now all other foundations fall small of these hurdle ;( .

Revlon, please re-consider and bring back the brilliant formula when you realise how much better it was, Amen xx

rated 3 of 5 on 10/12/2013 2:43:00 PM More reviews by Amyj94

So I purchased the revlon colourstay in ivory because I have very pale skin, I didn't notice until I'd purchased it that this one was for normal/dry skin, I have combination skin, however considering it worked great against my skin, not too oily, not too dry, it was just right. The shade, I probably should have purchased the buff shade in fact because although I have really pale skin, the shade isn't right, it's a bit pinky like some other people have mentioned with the ivory shade and it just didn't blend to my skin tone correctly, it was a bit fake looking almost. I like foundations to blend and look natural, however it isn't cakey looking, or cakey feeling, I just think it was the tone that was wrong and it does have a lovely coverage, its a bit tricky to get the coverage right though, as it doesn't really blend well, again that might be down to the shade, I am yet to trial another shade, athough it is a bit of a 'watery' consistency which also could be the problem because it spreads a bit too well almost. You only need a little to go a long way, but sometimes too much can come out, cause the bottle is a pain, it has no pump or anything, you just pour it out, I'm also not a fan of glass foundation bottles, I just prefer tubes, you can get more out towards the end of finishing the product by squeezing, but a lot of glass bottled product goes to waste cause it just becomes a pain to get out at the bottom. I do use a mineral powder over the top of this product with a brush just to blend it correctly and give it a nice even finish. This product I don't reccomend to people with acne prone skin, as I have acne prone skin and it does cause me to break out if I wear it too often, I have heard the same from others. I tend to wear this foundation if I'm going out to a a party or for something special, its a bit more striking than my natural bb cream which I use in the day and stops my skin from looking redish however I have known it to let my skin become quite shiny half way through the night, this is probably because I purchased normal/dry skin, I could do with combination maybe. Overall its not a bad product, there have been a couple of downfalls, but I don't think I have chosen the correct one for my skin so this could be why. So I would buy again to see.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2013 5:48:00 AM More reviews by Beautylook

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This foundation is, by far, the best I have ever used. I have the one for dry skin. It gives me amazing coverage and has a gorgeous finish. I find that I only need a small amount of this beautiful foundation to make my skin look flawless. I just love wearing it and highly recommend it for everyone to try.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/11/2013 7:42:00 PM More reviews by louiseannette

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Buff is the perfect colour for very pale skin with neutral/yellow undertones. I apply with a damp beauty blender, the dampness of the sponge means the foundation is a little easier to work with and blends alot better to give a flawless finish. As it is a full coverage foundation, although it doesn't feel heavy on the skin, I have noticed I tend to break out around my chin sometimes after I've worn this foundation. Therefore I use it only for times where I want a full coverage flawless face which will last around 12 hours (I've never worn it longer than that). Aside from the occasional breakout, my only other problem is the lack of pump meaning I can often accidently pour out far more than what I meant to.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/30/2013 5:40:00 PM More reviews by dlittlegarden

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been wearing Revlon Colorstay in Buff on and off since high school, and I'm now 32. This line has a great color range and I love that there are so many yellow-based shades in the line. The formula does seem to have changed since I first used it, though. I feel as if it is slightly less long-lasting and not as full coverage as it used to be. On the positive side, the smell is less latex paint-y than it was before. I also used to have a problem with the makeup rolling off in peels in oily areas, and now it more subtly breaks down and wears off. Not all-day wearing for me, but still good, and very comfortable to wear.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2013 3:59:00 AM More reviews by LeahBBB

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Overall it is a very good foundation, although it can be tricky to apply if not done properly. It covers really well and stays on all day. My advice would be to apply it in very strong light as it can look awful if not applied well as it tends to dry very quickly and become unspreadable. I have finally found a foundation that suits my skintone as I have a light olive skintone with yellow undertones, most foundations are too orange or pink but this one wasnt. The only thing I would say is that the packaging is awful and it tends to come out in a big rush, it needs a better bottle!! but other than that its fine :)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2013 4:23:00 PM More reviews by Laurenamy92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used to buy this product a couple years ago but got bored and ventured into the high end foundations... big mistake!! I found myself coming back to this foundation because it is the best I have used.
I have oily skin which can be dry in patches and I find that the best way to get a flawless look with this foundation is if you apply moisturiser before and then apply the foundation straight away. I have acne scars and this foundation covers them well and when looking at my face in natural lighting with this foundation on I can see that it truly looks flawless and doesn't settle into lines or patch up anywhere. It does need to be set with a powder otherwise I think it would get oily in places.
I shall not be turning my back on this foundation again as in this case, the saying that you get what you pay for is not true as this is brilliant value!