September 19, 2014 | 919 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope Oil-Free SPF

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2011 2:56:00 PM More reviews by noname103

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Two words - BURNING EYES. Despite deliberate intention to carefully apply this to the undereye area WITHOUT getting it in my eyes, I invariably have experienced painful teary burning every time I've used the deluxe sample I got from Sephora. This alone is more than enough for me not to purchase. The area I am most vigilant about sunscreen is under the eyes. I typically use the spf 40 sunblock from clarins but like to try out lesser-spf sunscreens for those days when I just need sun protection for a few minutes.
I applied this daily for a week over my regular moisturizer and really did not feel that it contributed any moisturizing effect. In fact, my skin has felt less moisturized overall the past few days.
The good things about this product are that it leaves skin looking less greasy than many other brands I've tried, there is no offensive odor, and it comes in an easy-to-apply squeeze tube.
If you're looking for lightweight sunscreen conveniently packaged with moisturizer and have eyes that aren't very sensitive, this might work.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2011 5:33:00 PM More reviews by amvill77

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this stuff ao much!! It's my HG moisturizer! The fact that it has spf 30 is the icing on the cake. It's very light weight, sinks into the skin quickly, leaves a matte finish (not greasy looking or feeling at all), does not break me out, no white cast, does have a slight sunscreen smell but I honestly like that smell, wears amazing under makeup, and helps keep my oil in control for the day and I have pretty oily skin. I hope they never stop making this. I will be using this for the rest of my life!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2011 3:59:00 PM More reviews by ktdetails

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

Absorbs quickly, leaves my face luminous but not greasy.
Wish this was a physical instead of chemical sunscreen.
Wears well under makeup.

Love this over my Ole Henriksen African Red Tea Face Mist.
Wish they had a tinted version - the shade of Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk shade 2... it would make my morning routine even faster!

I keep trying to use physical sunscreens rated at spf 30 under my makeup - but those give my face a white cast and affect how my makeup looks and wears - this Hope Oil Free SPF 30 does not. So I will continue to use it.

Good stuff.

$38 for 2oz at Sephora / Nordstrom / Macy's-- it's expensive ------ but it's like $45 on QVC and then you have to pay $5 shipping - So save yourself $12 and don't order it from QVC.

Wish this had a pump instead of a tube with a huge opening. Sometimes the product gets crusty around the opening by the time you want to use it the next morning.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/5/2011 8:36:00 PM More reviews by jc2729

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to love this product despite the high price, since I was looking for a non-comedogenic, high spf daily moisturizer for my combo/acne-prone skin. I fanatically research any new skin product/makeup for comedogenic ingredients and this one looked pretty good. But unfortunately this product was a bust in almost every way. Far from moisturizing, I think it dried out my skin! Plus it looked terrible underneath my liquid foundation, making it look streaky and like it was separating. Then the last straw I started getting this subtle red rash? on my cheeks and forehead, which are normally pretty clear (I've gotten similar reactions on my body to some sunscreens). Just to make sure this was really the culprit since I started a few new products around the same time, I used it only on my forehead for two days and a different moisturizer (with no spf) on my cheeks and my forehead still had the roughness and my cheeks started to get better. Oh well back to the store, and the search continues! I gave it two lippies because if your skin is oily (and not combo) and you are not sensitive to certain ss ingredients, this would probably work for you and it has a decent spf and didnt break me out (w/cystic acne).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2011 6:47:00 PM More reviews by ekym

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have liked every single Philosophy product that I’ve tried, so I was really interested in this moisturizer. For years I have been faithful to Clinique’s Superdefense SPF 25 Moisturizer for Combo/Oily Skin and then apply Philosophy’s The Present as my daily primer (separate reviews). Although these two products have worked very well together, I was hoping that Hope Oil-Free SPF 30 would take the place of both of these, being a moisturizer with anti-aging benefits and SPF, while also being a soothing, smoothing, matte-finish primer. Although it’s very thick coming out of the tube, a pea-size amount warms and thins in my hands, so it spreads very evenly over my face and neck. Don’t use too much, otherwise it will pill up. I am so pleased that this product meets my expectations. It provides SPF 30 protection; leaves my skin matte, smooth and ready for makeup (I let it sit for two minutes before starting to apply makeup); and it controls oil for about eight hours. I don’t notice any strange smell and it did not irritate my skin at all. This doesn’t quite achieve the flawless smoothness as The Present, but for everyday use, this is perfect. This is a little pricey, but it works so well with my skin that I will definitely buy again. I also love that it comes in a travel-friendly, hygienic tube.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2011 2:45:00 AM More reviews by brandi14307

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

i got a good sample of hope oil free spf 30 and I loved it so much I got a full size of it. It took the redness out of my face and made it so soft and nice looking I just had to get it and use it. I was so excited about this product it totally changed my face.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/18/2011 4:40:00 PM More reviews by mascaralove

Not moisturizing at all and definitely has a sunscreen smell to it. My face felt dry after using this.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2010 10:38:00 AM More reviews by joy2uandme

Nasty stuff, made my face red and irritated. Priced too high when it is very comparable to Neutrogena Healthy skin spf 30 and Mary Kay spf 25. Does work well under makeup. At the end of the day, this seemed to dry my skin somewhat so this will be going back.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/1/2010 12:11:00 PM More reviews by badgerengr

Ugh, I really wanted to like this. I'm constantly on the look-out for a great moisturizer with SPF. This claims to be light-weight, but I felt that it was very thick and heavy and made me oily looking in about 30 minutes. I returned it after a couple weeks.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/31/2010 10:11:00 AM More reviews by artemis513

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

Description from Sephora.com
Hope Oil-Free SPF
What it is: An ultra-light daily moisturizer for normal to oily skin with SPF 30.

What it is formulated to do:
This gentle, fast-absorbing daytime lotion provides optimal hydration to revitalize skin and strengthen its natural moisture barrier, while preventing sun damage. It is infused with multiple antioxidants for superior protection against environmental attack and visible signs of aging. The oil-free formulation leaves an invisible matte finish that suits all complexions.

My review: I've been using this product for maybe 3 months now, and at first I wasn't too fond of it. I thought it was greasy and would be too much for my skin, but I just needed to figure out how much to use at one time. A little goes a long way with this, because it's got a thick-ish consistency. But it is still lightweight once absorbed into the skin (which it does quickly) and leaves a matte-ish finish (not totally matte, more satin). I have normal/combination sensitive skin. My t-zone gets shiny but it's not what I consider oily, and I only get menstrual breakouts. I have a medium-dark skin tone, and I use retinol products to maintain an even skin tone, so the spf 30 is great for me. My skin feels/looks nice and healthy with continued use, so I like to think it's meeting its claims. I appreciate the squeezy tube packaging, despite the tendency for product to collect around the opening (I just wipe it off as needed).

I haven't decided yet if I will repurchase, but I answered yes because it is a good product. It retails for $45 for 2oz, so that's a factor, but it does last a long time, as I am only half-way through the tube. Fragrance-free, but still has a "philosophy" smell. No issue with my nose. Overall: pretty good piece of my skin care regimen.