Tamanu Oil

4.5

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I got a 30 ml bottle from Aura Cacia at Whole Foods for $17. I use it daily and it's been at least a month and I've still got more than 3/4 of the bottle left.

I bought this because I've heard it's good for acne prone skin and for fading post-acne hyperpigmentation. Fading dark spots can be painstakingly slow, but this definitely helps clear up acne. It's weird...it's an oil and is definitely moisturizing my skin, but in the morning any acne spots are dried up and the dead skin flakes right off. Like magic.

Some people have complained about the smell. Maybe we have a different brand, but my bottle smells kind of nutty, a very warm comforting smell that I actually find quite soothing. Sometimes I'll put it on just so I can smell it! I plan on trying other brands once I've finished this bottle so I will update in the future.

on 12/16/2013 6:20:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Tamanu Oil is very moisturizing especially during the winter time. I use it at night before I go to bed after I cleaned my face. I use it also in the morning not to much it can be rich and oil and I let it sit before I apply my makeup (sometimes). This oil is great for any skin type, and gives skin a glow, softness, shine, refreshed look, heals scars, pimples, blemishes and over all makes my skin look fresh. I would recommend this product to anyone!

PROS:
SOFT FACE
HEALS SCARS, PIMPLES
MOISTURIZING

CONS:
SCENT
PRICE
A LITTLE OILY

on 12/9/2013 4:34:00 PM

I've had a small but very visible icepick scar on my cheek for a year. It got inflamed easily and never showed any signs of fading. I began to use Tamanu oil about 2 months ago, and after a month the scar was fading fast. Now I can barely see it! I can't think of any other changes in my skin care, diet, climate, anything, other than starting to use Tamanu oil. Just incredible, I never thought it would be so effective in reality.

My pores get clogged all the time, but this oil doesn't do that any more than other oils suitable for my skin. As for the scent, it's pretty strong but not exactly bad, just takes a little getting used to. This oil is so good that I wouldn't mind no matter how repulsive it was!

on 9/22/2013 10:34:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm a big believer in natural remedies opposed to chemical so I always try finding new oils to try out on my skin. I don't have acne related problems, just texture issues and a bit of uneven skin tone. I find that Tamanu Oil works great to give myself a healthy glow, soft skin, and it moisturizes incredibly. I use the oil from Aura Cacia which is 100 pure, nothing else added into it. It's about 9 bucks for a small bottle but it has lasted me a good couple of months so I feel it's worth the price. I know once I'm close to running out, I will purchase it again. It's a safe alternative to chemical products and since I have very sensitive skin, I like to play it safe. You have nothing to lose by using natural products! Tamanu Oil is said to have anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, and antibiotic properties. Give it a shot!

on 9/10/2013 9:54:00 PM

I'm kinda in love with tamanu oil. I've been using it for about 3 weeks & it's awesome in blemished skin. Whenever I have a pimple I put some on as a spot treatment & literally it's shrunk or gone by the next morning. Kinda amazing! I've had acne prone skin forever it seems. I used to use harsh chemicals to control it (obagi & retin-a). Those were Great in controlling the acne, but full of chemicals. I started researching all natural products & stumbled upon tamanu. I'm using the "life-FLO" brand - 100% organic & cold-pressed. Love it & it really doesn't smell that bad! It's worth it to keep those breakouts at bay! ;)

on 8/22/2013 5:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Unpleasant scent. It would have been the perfect oil if it were unscented and if my body didn't react to it. It smells very strong of musky, woody prunes, like someone pointed out here. At $8.10 an oz on Garden of Wisdom, it definitely is on the more expensive side of oils as well.

The pros are that it makes skin so soft. It moisturizes so well. It also sinks right in and leaves no greasy feel. This oil is too strongly scented for me to put it on my face.

Pros: softens skin, moisturizes, not greasy
Cons: expensive, strong scent

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine

ive been using tamanu oil for about a year now. i have very clog prone acne-prone skin and this hasnt cause me any problems. when i first started using it, it made my skin peel which was... alarming, but i continued to use it and my skin has had a nice glow ever since. the only time i cant use tamanu oil is if i have done a tca peel, it gets trapped underneath the dried out skin and gives me painful whiteheads.

on 5/10/2013 7:08:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I have been using tamanu oil for about 6 months and i do notice a difference in my skin. I would say that overall, it has made my skin better. But i also mix this with an msm lotion i got at whole foods, so i think the combination of these two products has helped with the acne scars. that and i got a derma roller but ive only used it 2x in the last 3 months. The oil can tend to dry out my skin if i use it in the morning and evening. So, just focus on applying it to the areas that i'm trying to heal (i.e. where i have acne marks/scars). Also, before i wash my face i take almond or grapeseed oil to remove the dirt/makeup..i think that keeps it from drying out too much.

on 4/7/2013 4:52:00 PM

Wonderful stuff. I purchased the Aura Cacia brand. I have been using it only a short time and it makes my face so smooth. Smells a little odd but I can get past that. I was using jojoba oil to moisturize my face but have been using tamanu in place of the jojoba. The tamanu is thicker and less slick feeling than the jojoba and it seems to really make my skin glow more. I think I will probably be using tamanu oil for life now.

on 3/14/2013 2:32:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I don't have acne but I have been using Tamanu oil for about 1 week now and I must say I love it. The texture is medium, it does sink in but it also stays on top enough to provide moisture. I never liked using just an oil as a moisturizer , but this one I love. the texture and the natural fragrance doesn't bother me. I am intrigued by some of its properties but I will have to report back because of some of the reviews stating how it dried thier skin, it is possible because this oil gets a lot of reviews about how it is great for acne, so it is very possible it can be drying. As for some of the bigger claims like skin thickening we shall see, I would say that is a tall order for an oil to be able to thicken skin, but I will say that it does have skin healing properties. Worth a try !

Popular Face Skincare Products