Tamanu Oil

4.4

on 6/23/2014 2:06:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Oh my lord, I looooove this stuff. I bought it on a whim after a review by @acnesufferers on instagram. I honestly didn't expect this to do ANYTHING for my skin, but I was pleasantly surprised. I have finally, FINALLY found an oil that works with my skin and helps combat acne. I suffer from mild cystic acne, and this is the only thing that I have EVER found, that actually heals them. It's not perfect, I still have breakouts, but it really does help a lot. I just can't say enough about this oil. I love it! And I've already bought 2 of them ;)

(For reference, I got the Aura Cacia tamanu oil from iherb.com)

on 5/10/2014 9:08:00 AM

This oil is great for many things. It is green, thick and has a nutty smell. It leave a green colour on my skin. It stings my eyes. But it makes my facial skin smooth, hydrated and helps with some scars I have on my chin. I also use it on my body. Great oil!

on 3/24/2014 12:35:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This stuff is amazing! I have tried many carrier oils (avocado, almond, apricot, jojoba, coconut), but this definitely is one of my favorites. I got the life-flo pure organic cold pressed tamanu oil from vitacost.com for about $15. I use a drop of it mixed with coconut oil at nighttime. I have only been using this for a little over a month and have seen a noticeable improvement. My post acne pigmentation have began to fade and my skin looks so much smoother and healthier! The only downside about the products container is there is no dropper lid. A little does go a long way..a drop is all you need. Loveee this stuff!

on 1/20/2014 11:45:00 PM

Brand: Divine Essence Tamanu Oil
Cold Press/Unrefined

The scent of this oil is pretty strong and to me it has sort of an earthy-nutty-celery smell. At first I was applying this alone and the scent would give me a headache. Also I found using it like that was almost too rich for my skin and felt as though it was giving my blackheads. I then decided to mix it with a carrier oil like passion fruit or hazelnut oil (both coldpress/unrefined of course). I would mix basicallly 60-70% carrier oil to 30-40% tamanu oil. Using it like this the scent no longer was an issue and I didn't feel like it was clogging my pores. Right before I apply my oil blends I mist my face with a floral hydrosol or with my ACV toner. Doing this helps the oil spread on this skin easily, locks in moisture and therefore helping to moisturize the skin better. So far I like how it helps with some of my dry patches, redness and any kind of inflamtion. Presonaly I like to use passion fruit oil as my base carrier oil. I basically have combination skin: normal to oily tzone and some dry patches. When I use tamanu with my carrier oils I don't feel any shiner/greasy. It wears well under my makeup. I definitely recommend this oil.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I got a 30 ml bottle from Aura Cacia at Whole Foods for $17. I use it daily and it's been at least a month and I've still got more than 3/4 of the bottle left.

I bought this because I've heard it's good for acne prone skin and for fading post-acne hyperpigmentation. Fading dark spots can be painstakingly slow, but this definitely helps clear up acne. It's weird...it's an oil and is definitely moisturizing my skin, but in the morning any acne spots are dried up and the dead skin flakes right off. Like magic.

Some people have complained about the smell. Maybe we have a different brand, but my bottle smells kind of nutty, a very warm comforting smell that I actually find quite soothing. Sometimes I'll put it on just so I can smell it! I plan on trying other brands once I've finished this bottle so I will update in the future.

on 12/16/2013 6:20:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Tamanu Oil is very moisturizing especially during the winter time. I use it at night before I go to bed after I cleaned my face. I use it also in the morning not to much it can be rich and oil and I let it sit before I apply my makeup (sometimes). This oil is great for any skin type, and gives skin a glow, softness, shine, refreshed look, heals scars, pimples, blemishes and over all makes my skin look fresh. I would recommend this product to anyone!

PROS:
SOFT FACE
HEALS SCARS, PIMPLES
MOISTURIZING

CONS:
SCENT
PRICE
A LITTLE OILY

on 12/9/2013 4:34:00 PM

I've had a small but very visible icepick scar on my cheek for a year. It got inflamed easily and never showed any signs of fading. I began to use Tamanu oil about 2 months ago, and after a month the scar was fading fast. Now I can barely see it! I can't think of any other changes in my skin care, diet, climate, anything, other than starting to use Tamanu oil. Just incredible, I never thought it would be so effective in reality.

My pores get clogged all the time, but this oil doesn't do that any more than other oils suitable for my skin. As for the scent, it's pretty strong but not exactly bad, just takes a little getting used to. This oil is so good that I wouldn't mind no matter how repulsive it was!

on 9/22/2013 10:34:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm a big believer in natural remedies opposed to chemical so I always try finding new oils to try out on my skin. I don't have acne related problems, just texture issues and a bit of uneven skin tone. I find that Tamanu Oil works great to give myself a healthy glow, soft skin, and it moisturizes incredibly. I use the oil from Aura Cacia which is 100 pure, nothing else added into it. It's about 9 bucks for a small bottle but it has lasted me a good couple of months so I feel it's worth the price. I know once I'm close to running out, I will purchase it again. It's a safe alternative to chemical products and since I have very sensitive skin, I like to play it safe. You have nothing to lose by using natural products! Tamanu Oil is said to have anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, and antibiotic properties. Give it a shot!

on 9/10/2013 9:54:00 PM

I'm kinda in love with tamanu oil. I've been using it for about 3 weeks & it's awesome in blemished skin. Whenever I have a pimple I put some on as a spot treatment & literally it's shrunk or gone by the next morning. Kinda amazing! I've had acne prone skin forever it seems. I used to use harsh chemicals to control it (obagi & retin-a). Those were Great in controlling the acne, but full of chemicals. I started researching all natural products & stumbled upon tamanu. I'm using the "life-FLO" brand - 100% organic & cold-pressed. Love it & it really doesn't smell that bad! It's worth it to keep those breakouts at bay! ;)

on 8/22/2013 5:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Unpleasant scent. It would have been the perfect oil if it were unscented and if my body didn't react to it. It smells very strong of musky, woody prunes, like someone pointed out here. At $8.10 an oz on Garden of Wisdom, it definitely is on the more expensive side of oils as well.

The pros are that it makes skin so soft. It moisturizes so well. It also sinks right in and leaves no greasy feel. This oil is too strongly scented for me to put it on my face.

Pros: softens skin, moisturizes, not greasy
Cons: expensive, strong scent

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products