July 29, 2014 | 2071 users online

Pressed Powders - Physicians Formula - Bamboo Wear Bamboo Silk Face Powder

rated 1 of 5 on 1/16/2011 8:13:00 PM More reviews by avazq8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Smells horrible and the coverage leaves a lot to be desired (looks ghostly and unnatural on me). I found myself having to reapply lightly throughout the day, but after two days, the scent just became too unbearable to have to deal with. As if that wasn't bad enough, it also made my face itch, and the brush it came with is useless, unless you want white hairs scratching--and shedding all over--your face. This was replaced by a better pressed powder (IMHO): L'Oreal True Match. :)

Now, in terms of the swivel compact, I like that it's a unique design and that magnets are what hold the powder pan in it's place, and that's about it. It's bulky when put into a makeup bag for touch ups throughout the day.

I don't recommend this product, nor will I buy it ever again. My brand new compact will probably go in the garbage because I find the smell gross and the product itself impossible to work with.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/6/2011 4:55:00 PM More reviews by barrogten

It's true this powder does smell, but I didn't think it was all that bad. I use beige and it matches my skin pretty well, but I use it to set my liquid foundation. It doesn't seem to bother my skin, which generally is really sensitive and acne-prone. I apply it with my eco-tools retractable kabuki and it works fine for me. One refill lasts a while though the top of it is starting to look weird, like when you get powder foundation wet. It's a little weird, but perhaps I got some of my foundation in it or something. But, I do love the packaging and the swivel container it comes in is pretty cool.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/23/2010 8:16:00 PM More reviews by sandy12294

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Overall it is an okay product. I had the shade Beige. First of all it does not come with just a packaged powder. It comes with a refill and then you have to buy the packaging. I guess that is a good thing if you like the powder but if not it does create a problem. What to do with the left over packaging? The powder did not break me out (acne prone skin), the powder matched my skin tone very well (light) and i have (combination oily) skin so it absorbed the oil very well. The only think i did not like that immediately turned me off was at the end of the day instead of a dewy luminous face that you would expect with a silk powder i got like a plasticky looking face. $9.95
Onto the packaging. The packaging is very nice. It has a brush, mirror, and a spot for your powder, mostly all separate. It swivels. $6.95

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/27/2010 9:39:00 PM More reviews by lovecoma

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I wanted to try this even though my gut instinct was that my super sensitive skin would dislike it - and it did. Like every other powder I've tried except the pressed Physicians Formula mineral wear, my face ITCHED the whole time I had it on. :( And I was bummed by that because I actually really liked the finish it gave me. Kind of glowy. However later in the day as it started to wear more and more glitter flecks started showing, much like Revlon Photoready.

As for the packaging, it's a great idea - poorly implemented. I had a heck of a time getting the powder pan in. I scratched off part of the leave design on it that stood up and cracked it down in. I couldn't get it to sit in the pan until I closed the swivel lid and put my weight down on it. Then when I was going to return it, I couldn't get it back out. So I'm stuck with it I guess. I suppose I can keep it to set liquid foundation for those rare, rare times I wear it. Maybe the extra layer of something will help or something.

Nice try PF, I still got your back though.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/9/2010 12:37:00 AM More reviews by KnightKat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Firstly I noticed one of the chief complaints about this product is the smell? I would have to say that the one I purchased does not seem to have a smell??The 'brush' that is included with the compact package,does however have the smell of wet cut bamboo fibers(This doesn't bother me,I tossed it & use a velor powder puff when on the go),hmmm..that being said..the product it self goes on nice and smooth,coverage is a bit lighter than I usually go for.I only touched up once over a 6+ hr day.I do Love the idea of the reusable packaging ;-) is a tad clunky for carrying around in the pocket.I bought mine in the 'bonus pack' compact as Free gift with powder refill pan,in "Translucent"

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2010 8:21:00 PM More reviews by fabmac1

I don't want to sound like a broken record since many ppl have stated this already. The concept sounds awesome. I mean bamboo silk?? and the compact is cute too. I lucked out and got the compact for free when i bought the refill pan so it was a great deal. I've had good experiences with PF so when i saw this deal at Walmart, i didn't hesistate on purchasing. Unfortunately, I don't like this product. I used this twice and believe that it's what's causing my breakouts :( The powder does smell(bad) as well. Kinda like a sour smell, not a pleasant smell but i don't find it as revolting as some do on here haha It gives a nice light coverage and yes, all the colours are pretty light. I got the darkest shade and it's quite light (which is good for me since i'm not dark). I won't be using this again and will toss it out. I'm debating whether or not to keep the compact tho hahah

rated 2 of 5 on 9/19/2010 11:59:00 AM More reviews by sharlac78

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Like other reviewers, I so wanted to love this stuff. I was excited about using renewable resources and having a refill. But, when I got it home and opened the actual powder, it STUNK. The brush is like other Physician's Formula brushes and not very functional. I bought the lightest powder and it gave my face a strange color, not very natural. Other Physician's Formula products have been wonderful, but they failed with this one. I think I could find a way to use it if not for the awful smell. This one was not a home run.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/16/2010 3:33:00 PM More reviews by bauhinia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Like the other posters, I was so excited to love this product. The compact is very functional and natural looking but the powder has a terrible smell (almost like stinky shoes!) and the color is very, very light. I bought Beige and it was WAY too light for my skin. needless to say, I will be returning this..sigh.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/6/2010 8:50:00 PM More reviews by heythatsmyjuice

I am returning this! I wanted to like it so much! oh well what a shame.

I LOVE the compact, one: because i've been WAITING for an affordable refillable compact, minimizes waste good for environment, and two: the woodgrain finish looks really cute in my makeup bag. The compact itself is pretty clever with one compartment that swings out, holding the powder and the other one that reveals the mirror. The powder comes in refills so you just keep the compact for as long as it lasts, or for as long as you want to continue using this powder. It also comes with a very very stiff scratchy brush which picks up too much powder with one swipe. A couple complaints about the compact though: it's thick like a hockey puck as someone mentioned earlier, and it can also a little clumsy to manage all the compartments if you are going for a quick touch up.

Now onto the powder itself: there are only three shades! why?? AND all the shades look pretty much the same. And they're all toooooo light for my skin tone. I bought one in 'Beige' because I thought that was closest to my golden-olivey complexion but this powder left me looking like Casper. I exchanged it for 'Creamy Natural' but it still washes my face out and leaves it a different color than my neck. Not good. Physicians Formula definitely needs to expand their color scheme to expand beyond fair skinned women...also the powder smells kind of funky. Kind of like Grandma's powder compact and I am not wearing it out in fear of someone sniffing out the scent and following it back to my face.

I guess I will just have to hold out until PF makes more shades of this and makes it less smelly. Otherwise, the concept is great but the product still needs work.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2010 3:38:00 PM More reviews by shazamkaboom

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

It's great for my skin, it covers but isn't too heavy. $10 is a little much for a refill, but I've had mine for about 3 months and it still looks new, so that isn't one of my concerns. It stays in my Bamboo Wear compact really well.