November 27, 2014 | 1502 users online

Palettes - Coastal Scents - 88 Metal Mania Palette

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2012 2:31:00 AM More reviews by darkeyedfran

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Alright gals, I'm going to tell it to you straight. I have been working with makeup for a while and am by no means a beginner, I have and use highend and drugstore products. I firmly believe that products can be great or not so great despite the amount of money spent on the item. I purchased this through the coastal scents website. I am in love with the beautiful arrays of shimmery and metallic colors! I must say some of the pinks are intimidating, but they can be sheered out for a more wearable look. This has a good variety of more toned down colors, which will be great to try and work into work looks (teacher, off for the summer) and will be really fun for the weekends!
The thing that I need to stress is that having a good primer, base, and dense brushes is KEY to getting these to work like high end shadows! Some colors work like a dream,and some colors can be lacking in creaminess and pigmentation when applied to the lid. I NEVER use any shadow (be it MAC, Urban Decay, or revlon, NYX, etc.) without a primer, I always use my Stila prime pot primer. I find that adding a thin layer of a NYX jumbo pencil over your primer brings out the life and texture of these colors..I can't stress it enough, but it makes a huge difference! The shadows have much less fallout onto my cheeks and spread out more evenly on the lid...and are much more pigmented over the base! These shadows are not as hard to work with as the 88 warm palette, they are much more pigmented and look more expensive right out of pan, However, I do think that these colors look best with a base. I also think that brushes make a big difference, the fluffier the brush the more sheer the application in a general sense. I think that these are great paired up together, but I really like to add a matte or satin shade in the crease, highlight, or outer V, I feel like there is more dimension when you mix up finishes. This palette is great paired with the 88 warm palette and it helps keep these shades from being to overpowering. With the proper application, these are amazing and long-wearing, I highly recommend these, but you might need to play around with it to get the best results! Also, this arrived very quickly! Shipped on Thursday arrived around noon on Saturday!
Edit:July 3 2013: I still use this product and it has been going strong! This really is one of the most perfect palettes.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2012 6:11:00 PM More reviews by taylermarie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So happy I bought this! After seeing many YouTube videos on this brand, I decided up jump on board. I ordered this palette because the jewel tone colors really appealed to me. it arrived pretty quickly and was sent from Florida. it was packaged really nicely and there were no broken colors. the pigments in some of the colors were really bright, but others might need some layering to get the desired color. I highly recommend using a primer with these colors. there is quite a bit of fall out but that's to be expected.

I'm really interested in buying the warm/neutral palette next. such a good buy!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2012 9:27:00 PM More reviews by lilblue10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really like this palette, the colors are beautiful and very pigmented, i think its the best coastal scents palette !

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2012 9:12:00 AM More reviews by Donovan

There are not any deeper shades of blue, or black so I felt negatively towards that, plus most of the coppery browns are nearly identical in color. However they are very beautiful coppers that I use often. Most of the colors are super pigmented, and blend rather easily. I have many CS Palettes and really love them all:)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2012 9:03:00 AM More reviews by manitoban3

Am quite impressed with this palette. Beautiful, vibrant, unique colors, swatch really nice. Of course, haven't had a chance to use all 88 of them yet... Staying power is fine, but I always use a primer for everything. They seem to be fairly soft shadows, blendability is at least average and I am totally fine with the packaging. Would like to try some of the other Coastal Scents palettes now...

rated 3 of 5 on 10/25/2011 3:57:00 PM More reviews by BlahChild

I decided to try out all these multi-color palettes three months ago and see if they would go the distance for me. I have: Metal Mania, Warm, 28 Neutral, and 26 Color/Blush palettes.

Although the idea of having all the colors of the spectrum in one big palette is novel at first, it's not very convenient and I find myself reaching for my MAC, NYX, and Wet n Wild colors more.

With Metal Mania, the array of colors is nice. Pigmentation is a hit and miss, but you get what you pay for here. Always use a primer and/or base with these or you will not get very much on your eyelids. The formula used for these cause a lot of fallout and you will notice a rather messy palette after a few uses.

Overall, I wouldn't buy this again. This would be a great gift for a beginner, but not for somebody who is used to quality (I do mean quality, not brand!) make-up.

If you are interested in any of the palettes, the only one that I still use after three months is the 26 Eyeshadow/Blush palette. Great colors for a smokey brown look that I do and get lots of compliments for :).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2011 6:01:00 PM More reviews by mrsleonidas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This one is my fave. The pigmentation and colors are fantastic and i play with this one almost daily! ;)
Most of the shadows/blushes, in any of type of these named/numbered finished palettes, are nicely pigmented.
Though, I find that if you don't flick off your brush and use a base, you will get more than average fallout.
So I recommend that you do your foundation last..... with any of these various named/numbered palettes.
Each one are great and have a variety of colors you can play with.

@Everyone: Please save your hard earned $ and just buy all the Coastal Scents, Bh Cosmetics, etc...etc...Palettes off of EBAY!!

They really ARE the SAME thing/colors!

Its just that they switch up the pans in different places sometimes!

I know some say that some are pigmented than other brands. But no they are not really!
Its just that some palettes are FRESHER therefore they will give you BETTER PAYOFF.

You can buy any variety for around $10.00 each on EBAY!
I actually bought the 10 Blush, Neutral, Concealer, Camouflage Palettes for under $8.00 each.... on EBAY!! Really!
Now I am a big believer for supporting American businesses. But we all now know where they get their stuff from....so I feel perfectly fine buying from overseas. ;)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2011 8:40:00 PM More reviews by tubbyloves

Great set of eyeshadows with a variety of shades and colours
-colours are not boldly pigmented but provide some colour with a great sheen.
-All colours are shimmery and tend to be more neutral
-Great use for everyday looks for teens to adults
-Very unique colours and would be flattering for most skin tones
-Not that long lasting, shadows tend to have fall-out
-Would require a cream base underneath
Great buy and a great gift choice!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/8/2011 5:55:00 PM More reviews by jiasweetheart

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The 88 Metal Mania Palette is super vestal. You can create all kinds of looks with this palette. I find the color in this palette is much more usable than the 88 Shimmer Palette. You get a nice range of natural colors for everyday look and dark colors for smoky eyes. The eye shadows are all very pigmented and goes on smoothly.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2011 6:40:00 PM More reviews by sunflowerstarshine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I received the Coastal Scents 88 Metal Mania palette from someone and was very excited to try it out. I was hoping it would be better than the neutral palette I had gotten from CS, which I hadn't cared for. When I got the palette, I was pleasantly surprised! The shadows are all so colorful and pretty, and they all go on smoothly and look fabulous. I definitely recommend this product for you eye shadow lovers out there! :)