September 23, 2014 | 1701 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Pop Beauty - Face Magnet Primer

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2013 11:56:00 PM More reviews by Lms526

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

For the last few months, I've been on the lookout for a good primer that will work on my very oily skin and help my makeup stay on more than 4-5 hours. I tried several (Rimmel Fix and Perfect, Boots Shine Free Makeup Base, MOM, Monistat Anti-Chaffing Gel) and couldn't find one that worked for me. The MOM worked the best (but oddly only with my MAC Matchmaster foundation. I tried it with Revlon Nearly Naked, Boots No 7 Beautifully Matte, and Femme Couture Get Flawless 8 in 1 foundation and it didn't do anything)

After reading a lot of good reviews about this primer on the Ulta website, I decided to give it a try. At first, I was a little hesitant. The MAC Matchmaster foundation is definitely a splurge for me, and so I wasn't crazy about the idea of paying $26 dollars for a primer as well. But you get a good sized amount for the price. 1.7 oz. Most of the negative reviews I found about this product had to do with the packaging. People were saying that the silver flaked off the cover and got all over your hands. Apparently, the company has fixed this. The bottle I purchased a few days ago has a silver, plastic cap. I really like the packaging of this product. It's nothing fancy, but it works. It's a simple squeeze bottle. The only minor complaint I have is that I wish the bottle was see through so you could see how much product is left inside. But it far from being a deal breaker. I was attracted to this primer because many people said it is great for oily skin.

Some reviewers have also mentioned that this primer has a funky smell. But I personally like the smell. I didn't find it off putting in the slightest. This primer is somewhat thick, but it is very creamy. It is similiar in texture to Elmer's Glue. It sounds weird, but it's not sticky or heavy at all. It blends really easy. It makes your makes your skin feel silky smooth. It provides a great base for the rest of my makeup. My skin is also very allergy prone, and this primer doesn't irritate it at all. You only need about a dime-sized amount for the entire face. The first time I used this primer, I didn't think it was going to work for me. My makeup still faded away after about 4 hours.

But I wanted to give a second chance. Here is the makeup routine I used this morning. First, I used my Clean and Clear Oil Control Facial Cleanser in the shower. After that, I applied the companion Oil Control Lotion. Then I applied the primer. I realized that I needed to let this primer absorb for a couple of minutes before applying the rest of my makeup. Since I haven't had much luck with any of the other primers I've tried, I really didn't expect this to work. But it did. It worked great. I applied my makeup about 8:45 a.m. this morning. This primer kept my makeup looking great for a good 10 hours. That is the longest my makeup has ever stayed on. The only other primer that equals the results of this one is the MOM. Even though it worked, I was a little hesitant about using it on a long-term basis. This primer is AMAZING on very oily skin.

I think this has potential to be a HG primer for me. It works great and is well worht the money. I would repurchase this primer in a heartbeat. But since you only need a very small amount, this bottle will last quite a while. I will update if anything changes, but so far, I am very pleased with this primer.

EDIT: I woudln't say this is my HG primer, but it's a decent primer. I thought I might be allergic to it, but it was actually something else. I've used this for a long time with no problem.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/6/2013 6:39:00 PM More reviews by dvdsky81

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I'm a little concerned as I got this sample from Ulta as I've been on the Lookout for a primer that works and doesn't break me out, which has proven to be unsuccessful btw. If it doesn't break me out, it doesn't work at all. Anyway, of course I got a ravaging breakout from it which may or may not be the product but my faces blind hatred of primers. My big concern was/is when I got the sample (along with 3 others) they put them in these little plastic solo cup type containers. I only used this particular one twice and break out was bad so it's been sitting in my cupboard with the rest for about a month or so. I was just cleaning some clutter and found these samples. This primer ate the bottom of the container . It looks like someone took a lighter or high heat source to it. It looks melted. What the hell is it doing to your skin?!?! The other samples are just fine aside from being on dry, clumpy side. Kinda terrified of it now, actually.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2013 10:40:00 AM More reviews by LuviieNaz

This is definitely by far the best primer I have ever used!
This product is definitely affordable and does exactly what is says, so it's worth the money. The primer makes my face feel so smooth and silky and leaves a nice, fresh smell behind. And you only need to use a little product, because it truly does go a long way... I have combination skin, and I feel like it does moisturize as well as keeping the oil in control, so I think it's a great primer for all skin types! And whenever I use this primer, my makeup does last the whole day, and once I even slept with my makeup on, and the next day it hadn't even smudged or even moved! The makeup still looked freshly applied, so this is definitely worth a buy!! I've been using it for a year now, and I think I'll be sticking to this primer till I find something better that comes along. Oh, and this didn't make me break out or anything, so that was a plus! The product doesn't feel slimy, or too watery/dry, it's the perfect consistency; nice and creamy. It comes in a simple, cute pink box, and so the packaging is nice. Hope I helped! x

rated 1 of 5 on 4/10/2013 5:49:00 PM More reviews by Peggyday

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I loved my first bottle of this stuff!! The second bottle is completely useless. The first bottle made me instantly flawless. I have an oily t-zone and it kept that under control all day unless in super hot/humid weather, and then I just had to use a little HD powder once or twice in the afternoon. It concealed my pores completely. It did lighten my complexion slightly (probably because of the zinc oxide in it) along with the vanishing pore effect, and I sometimes just wore it alone. With makeup I received many compliments. My makeup did not budge with it, it stayed on well all day. I had to exfoliate gently each night to remove this primer completely because it gripped my makeup so well. But that was not a problem. This stuff was holy grail for an oily t-zone.

I started to run out so ordered another bottle. They must have changed the formula! The first bottle works like magic. The second bottle goes on like a moisturizing lotion, does not dry, no matter how long I wait prior to applying foundation, and does not conceal my pores. My face is immediately a shiny slick mess - - so I have to skip it. I have switched back to Monistat Anti-Chafing cream as a primer, which is many people's HG, but for me it is not as good as the original formula of Face Magnet. It's just that this new bottle is worthless. Is it the formula? Did I get a bad bottle? Are other people experiencing the same?

I have found two ingredient lists online. One, which I guess must be the original:

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Zinc Oxide, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Cyclohexasiloxane, Phenyl Trimethicone, PEG-7 Dimethicone, PEG-10 Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Tocopherol, Magnesium Sulfate, Methicone, Sucrose, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Caffeine, Phenoxyethanol, Silica, Sorbic Acid, Chlorphenesin, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate

And this one, which is the current listing on Pop Beauty's website, and includes a few more ingredients:

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Zinc Oxide, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Cyclohexasiloxane, Phenyl Trimethicone, PEG-7 Dimethicone, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Methyl Gluceth-2-, Glycerin, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Tocopherol, Magnesium Sulfate, Methicone, Sucrose, PEG/PPG-19/ 19 Dimethicone, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Caffeine, Phenoxyethanol, Silica, Sorbic Acid, Chlorphenesin, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate

I wish I knew what went wrong because I loved it. I emailed the company and will update if they respond.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2012 8:16:00 PM More reviews by stephani99

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this unseen and practically unheard of with Pop's "All the Bases" kit some time ago. Problem is, I have so many primers from various brands in both full size and samples, that I tend to forget about some of them. This was not one that ever gathered dust, however. I reach for it so often that much of the writing on the bottle wore away months ago.

This was also a lifesaver (or skinsaver?) during the dry winter months. My poor skin got so dry that no matter what I did, it hurt to touch. Even applying blush with my softest brush felt like sandblasting. Most primers, especially those designed to control oil, just made things worse by sucking out what little moisture I managed to put back. I started to avoid and dread doing my makeup on days I had to work because it looked and felt so parched I literally felt it might crack and flake away, and it started to turn red from irritation. This was the only primer in my stash at the time that not only worked, it actually improved my skin. Instantly upon application, ahhhhh, it felt and looked 100% better.

This is not your average thin light silicone-based primer; it means business. It's thicker in texture than the majority I've tried (although I am seeing more lotion types now than ever before). This has a thicker creamy texture that despite that, soaks in quickly and leaves my face smooth and soft, not sticky or weighted down. My skin feels firmer yet 'plumped up' and competely hydrated without looking or feeling heavy, oily or greasy. Formerly noticable pores and fine lines are minimzed as well, and I think my skin looks brighter and more even-toned in general. With this on, my foundation (whether powder, cream or liquid) smooths on easily, looks great and lasts all day. You don't need to use a lot and it's a good sized squeeze tube whose only defect is you can't see how much is left. This also have SPF (a physical one consisting of mostly titanium dioxide) but I don't know how much and they're not quite clear on that aspect. The closest thing I can compare it to in terms of the type of bottle, texture and application is MAC Prep & Prime SPF50 although I seem to notice far more skin-enhancing and improving benefits with this than I ever did with that. If I had both sitting in front of me, this wins.

Since I started using this, I can't wait to put my face on every morning again and will definitely repurchase. Crazy as it sounds, it truly seems like my skin breathes a sigh of relief with this and the results were better than any other primer, even other moisturizers or serums, I tried. I cannot speak to how well it controls oil as I obviously don't have that issue, but if like me you are on the dry side but still want or need to use a primer, give this a shot. Even with my dry skin (which thankfully isn't always THIS dry, in summer it's definitely combo!) primers make my skin look and feel better, which in turn makes my foundation look and feel better, last longer and generally perform better overall than on their own. If you're tired of primers that all seem the same, simply don't deliver, and/or you are dry (even if not to the painful level I was) give this a whirl. I can't say enough good things about it and am pressed to find something even remotely negative, the price? Naw, it's worth every penny to me now. The opaque bottle? Annoying but not a dealbreaker. This deserves far more attention than it gets, the entire brand in general actually, because they do have some standout products. Not everything mind you but what is good like this, is exceptionally good.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2012 3:54:00 PM More reviews by Tresha

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm a little late to the world of primers. I always felt if I spend $$$ on my foundation, I shouldn't need a separate product to control my oily skin. I now find value in primers, especially since all the great oil control powders has seem to disappear from the market, and I have been forced to resort to primers. I like this primer. It sinks into my skin. It works good with powders or liquid foundations. And importantly...It controls my oily skin. I have been using this a few days and like it. I was using Revlon Photogenic primer, and it is heavy and harder to work with than this Face Magnet Primer. This doesn't feel heavy at the end of the day. This doesnt stop all the oil, but I definitely see a big improvement. Will update.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2012 9:00:00 AM More reviews by Flickerini

Well I do wish I had read the reviews on this and the Philosophy The Present primer before I bought! Would have just bought this one if I had. I am still waiting for that perfect primer that really does stop shine completely - but this is certainly as close as I have found yet. I don't have very oily skin - just combination - but all other primers I have tried have been a real disappointment. This one keeps my makeup in place and certainly reduces shine considerably - although not completely - butenough to mean I don't have to use powder or keep blotting for a good few hours. Cute little tube, nice texture - others have mentioned not liking the 'silky' feel of most other primers and I agree - they feel as though they will stifle your skin. this one doesn't. So far I am very happy with it - and very reasonably priced too!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/15/2011 5:23:00 AM More reviews by prettycupcake

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It works like magic. Absorb quickly and my make up stay in place for hours. But lately it drying out my skin a lil bit

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2011 11:45:00 PM More reviews by devmar

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I like how this primer looks like glue and leaves my skin smooth, but not slippery silicone smooth like most others. I really think it keeps my pur minerals foundation on all day and doesn't irritate or break my skin out. Might repurchase, but I want to take a look at some others first. It is a tad expensive, but not compared to some other huh end primers

rated 2 of 5 on 3/19/2011 1:01:00 PM More reviews by amandalsl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Honestly I don't see any significant effects after using this primer. My skin may be a smidgen smoother, but I don't notice any difference with regards to oil control or redness. I don't think it brightens my complexion, either. This primer blends in my foundation pretty well, but I do just fine without it. My top concern is oil control, but it failed miserably in that regard. I still get oily after about 3 hours of wear. On the plus side, it is a comparatively affordable primer. In a nutshell: there is nothing about this primer that makes me run out to repurchase. I don't see any difference before and after applying this.