April 19, 2014 | 1611 users online

Eye Shadow - Cover Girl - Smoky ShadowBlast

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2012 4:58:00 PM More reviews by PinkIcing1

Pros: Pretty color, stays on a long time
Cons: Creases quickly, feels heavy and greasy, costs too much for how bad it is, breaks easily

rated 1 of 5 on 9/2/2012 5:48:00 PM More reviews by Missy298

AwFUL.

JUST bought it and tried it out when I got home. It BROKE. complete waste of money I threw it in the garbage within, 5 minutes of owning it.

NOT happy!!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/30/2012 11:16:00 PM More reviews by kaylaarias

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I wanted to like this, but it didn't work out. I have the pink one. The 'step one' side broke when I was done applying it, plus it felt weird and sticky on my eyes and tugged at the skin. I tried using the other side but it did not look good at all. I chucked it in the trash as soon as I was done trying it, I expected better. Good idea but poor execution basically.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/18/2012 5:54:00 PM More reviews by dyejob98

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I wanted so much to like this. The first one I had broke the first time I used it. I tried another one and it did the same thing. Great idea, crummy product.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/11/2012 2:25:00 AM More reviews by VioletAutumn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

i got this using a walmart giftcard i got for xmas last year...
i have the color onyx smoke 800

let me just tell you something about my eyes first before i get into this review..

i got cher eyes, meaning- deep set big and round eyes.. i'm personally not a fan of any eyeshadows because i have so much trouble applying eyeshadow on my eyes even though i'm 24 years old...it just doesnt look right on my eyes, i look like a drag queen (even though drag queens are fabulous and prettyful, i'm a girl so i shouldn't look like one)

and sometimes it just looks like someone punched me in the eye :/

even if i spent countless hours watching how to eyeshadow videos i still can't seem to achieve a normal eyeshadow look like everyone else... not to mention that no beauty gurus on youtube have the same type of eyes as me *shakes fist* lucky basta*ds :/

i tend to find myself watching drag queen makeup videos because men seem to match my eye shape more.
but there makeup is a bit to over the top for me sometimes.

anyway the commercial made it look easy to apply this ShadowBlast .. Drew Barrymore herself states ''smoky eye made easy'' ..yeah maybe if you have a makeup artist applying it for you.

ok on to the review...
This comes in a two end plastic tube on each end there is a light and dark color.. i got this product because i thought i could finally wear shadow like normal people.

the shadows are like a solidified cream shadow.
and the colors are both pretty shimmery
now the steps on how to apply this makeup is written on the tube. it just tells you to use the rounded tip end first which is the light shade , you put it all over your lid, then you use the step 2 side and you use it in your crease and near the eyelashes.
then you blend it in

but once i was finished putting it on and blending, my eyelids looked greasy and nasty and even more messier then normal shadow.
i checked reviews on youtube about it and it's not only me that thinks the eyelids look greasy after using it also even with good primer it still slides off your eyelids.

after a couple of tries trying to make this product work for me the black shadow broke off.. but i still use the white shadow end for the inner parts of my eye as a highlighter, thats the only reason i'm giving this product 2/5

rated 1 of 5 on 7/9/2012 3:04:00 PM More reviews by livyeason

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This is so bad I can't even say how horrible it is. I bought this in Onyx Smoke or something like that. It creased and the black end broke as soon as I got done using it. So I was like WTF? Then I said, well i'll just use it again w/ primer and see if it works. I used Smashbox photo finish eye primer. I hate it. It creases SO bad. and it broke on both sides. :(

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2012 3:50:00 PM More reviews by Christinaann5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

So overall, this is a great idea but definetly poorly executed. the packaging isnt great at all & the actual product itself doesnt make up for the poor packaging. So onto my thoughts...
~~~~~~~~~ PRICE & AVAILABILITY ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Covergirl Smoky Shadow Blast sticks are widely available in most drugstores like Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid as well as mass discount stores like Walmart & Target. Covergirl is a big brand so it can be found in most stores. The price will vary as with most drugstore products depending on your location as well as where you purchase it. The price for these is generally around $5-6 which is way too much for such a crappy product. So take it from a broke girl like me, listen to the others, dont waste your money!!! There are many more drugstore cream shadows & pencils that work FAR better! But Covergirl does place $1 off coupons in the sundays paper so check for those as well!
~~~~~~~ SHADE/FORMULA/PERFORMANCE ~~~~~~~~~
The CG Smoky ShadowBlast sticks are a double ended cream shadow crayons. They are formulated that you can get a simple smoky or edgy look with just one pencil. The colors coordinate together. The one side is more rounded to go all over & the other end is more flattened to run along lash line to blend out. This would be a great simple & quick look if it worked. I only purchased one which was the brown/bronze & golden champagne stick which i thought, its basic & i can pull it off & make it work. I do not have oily lids. I have normal maybe even more dry lids at some points. I do use a primer esp with creamy products. Ive tried it without primer as well. I applied the champagne golden color all over the lid & used the bronze brown side to run along lash line & in outer corner area. It looked ok but i felt the consistency of the sticks were a bit odd. The lighter color had a somewhat gritty feel to it since there is somewhat of a shimmer finish to it so i could feel the glitter in the pencil. The bronze side was more waxy & slippy. I dont mind having to work w/ products. I dont think its horrible but i managed to get it to look decent. I used this topped w/ powder shadows as well as face powder & also all alone like they suggests. No matter what, the pencil would somehow get under my lash line & completely fade away 2 hours later which i think is very odd bc i use cheap makeup & never had this happen to often. The shades are very pretty colors. So i ended up getting the purple & gray stick as well from my sister & that one was even worse. I think the colors make it look appealing but the application was ok but performance is horrible. I cannot imagine what these would be like on those w/ more oily lids. So ill try to come up with some way to make these work bc i hate products that sit around. Ill update if i come up with a solution.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~ PACKAGING ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The CG Smoky ShadowBlast duo ended shadow sticks come in a hard see through plastic chubby pencil form. There is metallic labeling & info. The lids slid & slightly twist on & off. The sticks themselves can be mechanically twisted up & down to use each end. My major gripe is that you dont get a whole lot of each cream shadow, the lids on all four sides have either snapped or cracked & i have never traveled with these nor do i throw makeup around. And the big thing is that all but one end has become detached from the packaging so the sticks fall out or move around all over the place & get stuck in the lid. I still dont mind too much but its not worth me sticking the shadows back in to fall back out if the product doesnt even work.
Overall, these seem very pretty & neat in the store but its not a great product. I LOVE my cream shadows & cream pencils but i highly suggests saving your money for a nyx jumbo pencil, LA Colors Jumbo pencil or even Coastal Scents have double ended cream pencils. There are many more more affordable options that work so much better. I will continue to use this & find a way to use it up. Def dont suggests to anyone to try nor will i be repurchasing. Not only bc its a crappy product but before i knew better, i bought makeup from companies that tested on animals, CoverGirl tests on poor innocent creatures, not cool. So i will do my part & not buy from companies that do so...

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2012 4:24:00 AM More reviews by cheetah7

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Good concept, poor product. This is one of the worst colored sticks I have ever used. What made me purchase it in the first place was the idea of a 2 in one color that I thought would save me some time in the morning. I bought the purple and silver one and while the color payoff was average, the product itself felt disgustingly greasy and within a few minutes the color had settled in the creases. I have oily lids and using a primer underneath made it somewhat better but even with the primer, most of the crease color had disappeared from my lids within the hour. Instead it had migrated to the outer corners of my eyes and became a smudgy mess. The only real way of preventing color migration is to top it off with powdered eyeshadow but that kind of defeats the purpose of this product in the first place. In the short time I had it, I tried making it work by trying different things and even using 2 different primers on separate occasions but same result. I tossed it in the trash after the purple side broke off which was only 4 times total usage. That's $8 wasted just like that. Never again.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2012 9:20:00 AM More reviews by Sambalina82

This product is crappy. Luckily I didn't pay for it, I got it free with a mascara I wanted. It's a dual cream stick shadow, that has hardly any colour payoff, no lasting power and feels horrible and greasy on my eyes. I'll stick to baked powders I think.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/22/2012 11:27:00 AM More reviews by microwatts

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I think this product gave me a sty on my eye. I had to put so much on to actually see it and it looks awful. the tip is so thick that you can't apply it where you actually want it to go. It also looks NOTHING like Drew Barrymore's eyes in the commercials. I'm sure that they used other products.