April 21, 2014 | 952 users online

Lip Treatments - E.L.F. - Studio Lip Lock Pencil

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2012 5:19:00 PM More reviews by SkullGlitter

This is a decent reverse lip liner. You lining the outside of your lips to keep the lipstick on your lips from feathering over your lips and onto your skin.

I tried this with more slippery formulas and it was a bit interesting. Sometimes it feathered into the lines over the pencil and sometimes the lip lock pencil feathers in the teensy-tiny lines of my lips themselves. Straaange. In order for this to work, I needed to use specific lipsticks with lip liner AND the pencil slightly outside my natural lip line. It was pretty useless for me since I have really dry lips most of the time.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2011 8:39:00 AM More reviews by Aurumgirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I just picked this up last week at Winners, I'd never seen it before but I used to use a product like this made by Elizabeth Arden years ago. It was made to keep lipstick and lip gloss from bleeding at the lip line, and it worked amazingly well. I haven't seen that product around in years, but I've always felt it would be great to have again. So when I found this I was pleased and bought it hoping I'd find something similar to what I'd used in the past. It doesn't hurt that the product is so inexpensive, too.

This is invisible and it works. I have a YSL lip colour that I love to wear ( a summery red colour) but it's a little bit sheer and tends to wander unless it's touched up frequently--I put it on with the e.l.f. lip lock lining my lips, and the lipstick did not budge. No feathering whatsoever. Personally, I think red lipsticks have to be precisely applied and their whole effect is ruined if the colour wanders, even slightly--so this liner is a must-have, for me. I'd definitely repurchase. I like the fact that it's in a swivel up crayon form (not a liquid, like the EA product was) and you can't beat the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2011 5:04:00 PM More reviews by jellybaby21

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I think this product is very misunderstood. It is NOT a lip primer and many people have given it bad reviews as they say it doesn't not keep there lipstick on for a long time. Well, it is not supposed to! The reason it is named Lip Lock, is becasue it means your lipstick does not bleed outside your lipline. It is wonderful at stopping feathering and lipstick bleeding. I use it before I use my favourite lipstain, which has ALWAYS bled in the past, but not when I wear lip lock. It has a nice smooth texture. I find it is best to draw around your lipline with several gentle thin layers than one thick layer (which may leave a waxy residue). I understand that the packaging could be improved, however this one tiny little con, is majorly outweighed by all the positives this product has. This is defo a must for anyone who has problems with their lip products bleeding, which tends to become more a problem as we age.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/26/2011 1:14:00 PM More reviews by makeupwoot

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

The e.l.f. Studio Lip Lock Pencil claims the following:

"Keep your lipstick, lip gloss and lip liner from feathering, traveling or budging with the smooth glide Lip Lock Pencil. Your lip color stays locked in place for continuous wear. The colorless formula is perfect for any skin tone and fills in fine lines around the lip."

It seemed like a decent product to try at only $3 + Tax from the K-Mart around the corner from my apartment. The packaging isn't bad, but it's certainly not the greatest. The tube itself is a long slim pencil style tube and a pretty cheap design with the e.l.f. logo and Product Name printed in white lettering, which became gummy and wore off when I handled it after applying lotion to my hands, so nobody other than me would know what it is if they were to see it now.

The product is a slim stick of substance about two inches long (battery next to it fully extended for comparison) that is an opaque yellowish cream color, the scent of which is reminiscent of inexpensive candle wax. I put it on my lips and while not sticky, it has a very unusual texture. It's not slick and greasy, but it definitely gives your lips the feeling that they have been coated with something that just doesn't feel right. I followed up with one of the e.l.f. Mineral Lipsticks (which I have been wholly unimpressed with due to their lack of any longevity whatsoever). The addition of the color improved the texture somewhat and made it a little better. It definitely did improve the lasting qualities of the lipstick and instead of wearing off in 15 minutes, it wore off in about 40 (I must say however, that NO lipsticks last a long time on me so this was actually a good thing). I continued to reapply the Lip Lock pencil and lipstick but as the day wore on, I noticed that it started to ball up and become cakey as many cheap lipsticks often do, so I would have to completely wipe off my lips, and reapply to the clean surface.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this product. It's not that it's all that bad, but it's not really all that good either. It falls into a class of what I consider to be benign makeup products, being neither good/bad or effective/ineffective, and therefore, money should not be spent on them.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2011 11:18:00 AM More reviews by TrueSugar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this product. I place this on the outside of my lips and I don't have problems with lipsticks bleeding. I have not had a problem with it breaking. I will be buying it again.!!!!!!!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2010 2:52:00 PM More reviews by kirstabelle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

This was so bad. It broke immediately and fell out of the plastic holder, had to try to keep putting it back in, but couldn't use it properly because it was all wobbly. The packaging is TERRIBLE, extremely cheap. The diameter of the actual product is significantly more narrow than the plastic opening, this is why they break.

Also, there is actually not much product in there at all, I know because after it broke I tried to wind up the remainder, but there wasn't any. The length of the little pen is actually only half filled with product. It feels like a super waxy cheap lip balm. Not even worth the $1.50 sale price I got it for. Worst thing I have bought from E.L.F yet.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2010 9:38:00 AM More reviews by rickisyed

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

it does a good job in making those glosses stay on my lips. It does last as long as a long wearing lipstick. NOTHING lasts on my lips for more than 2 hours, so this makes it somewhat longwearing for me for just about that time frame. Its better than not wearing this product. So far i like it, it is heavy on the lips ( i can feel the product). I love the packaging and the price without that, i would have not bought it in the first place.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2010 12:14:00 AM More reviews by artsyjill

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I think this is a really great product. I love that this has a twist up from the bottom so you dont need to sharpen it. I use this as a kind of primer under nude or red lips. I find that it keeps my lips from drying out as quickly by providing a clear matte barrier and helps my lipstick wear longer. This is a great price at $3 and I would definitely recommend this and repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/6/2010 3:33:00 AM More reviews by naj123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Great lip liner, keeps my lipstick in place. Its not very moisturizing, so I probably wouldn't use this as an all over lip product. So far I've only used this with lipstick, and it works wonderfully.

It comes in a black casing, there's no need to sharpen because of the twist up/down mechanism. Its a clear matte, absolutely no gloss or shimmer or even sheen.

My only issue with it, is the fact that the actual lip liner part broke, I guess its just one of those products. However, I just placed it back in there and good as new. But one lippie off because it broke.

Update: 21/07/10
I barely ever use this at all. The gimmick of it is great, clear lip liner that makes your lipstick stay. So far it hasn't really made much of a difference to me besides drying out my lips. The texture is too waxy and thick, its a struggle just applying this because it feels like crayon at times. Maybe I'm using it wrong but I definitely don't like it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2010 2:55:00 PM More reviews by Sarita

This will probably attain HG status for me. It is probably the best clear lip liner I've used. Just as good as DuWop's Reverse Liner but:

A) an automatic crayon instead of a pencil you need to sharpen
B) $3 vs $21

What I like about this is that it is a thick crayon (like the Duwop) instead of a thin pencil and it is MATTE.

I only gave it a three for packaging because I had it upside down in the bathroom (yes I know) and when I took the top off, it was stuck in the top. No problem since I just stuck it back in and it works perfectly again but still, I had it less than a week.

Since I bought it during a B1GO50% I got two, which I am glad about. I have since bought a third just in case.

It is not, however, a balm so it doesn't moisturise my lips. It is great at stopping bleeding and feathering. My red lipstick wardrobe just expanded itself :).