NARS Semi-Matte in Heat Wave

4.6

on 5/30/2013 6:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

So this is what I would say is my hg summer red. It is really bright but not clownish,and looks great with a tan. I have peachy skin, and any kind of pinkness or blue tones in red lipsticks comes out fuschia on me. This is just red with a hint of orange on me and brightens up my face. People will definitely look when you wear this color, so you have to be ok with that and also have a mirror nearby for occasional touch ups. It is a semi matte formula so it is long lasting and somewhat drying. But the color is more than worth the dryness.

on 5/15/2013 1:11:00 AM

As far as Orange-Red lippies go, this is hands-down the best. I think the color is so fun and unique and I have never seen another color quite like it. It took me years to get to confidence to wear a color like this (I finally purchased it about 18 months ago after eyeing it for 3 years).

I took off one lippie because I wish it was just a tad less orange and more red. Something about my complexion and hair color really pulls out the orange. which is not neccesarily a bad thing but when I see other ladies wearing this it appears that they are wearing a retro- red lipstick (a la "mad men") and not an orange lipstick.

I really can only wear this lippie when I wear black. I think it might help to get jungle red-lip liner to pull away some of the orange. I don't wear this color often since I am more drawn to pinks and corals but I plan to wear this more with only eye-liner on the top lid and mascara for a retro look for summer.

this lipstick is not too drying at all. I find it to be quite moisturizing actually. however, when I remove it my lips then feel quite dry. but that is easily remedied!!

I think this lipstick is a must-have

on 3/31/2013 6:21:00 PM

On the hunt of finding a perfect orange-red lipstick, I bought so many. The result was either too orange or too red or something else.But this lipstick is perfection. This is the l/s color which we see in all vintage magazines.Ladies, if you are not convinced, do visit Sephora and do try. It gives your face an instant glow and the color photographs very well . My second favorite orange red is MAC Lady Danger and Wet n Wild Purty Persimmon but Heat Wave is THE PERFECT ONE. The matte formula is again a bonus and is not drying at all. Stays on for hours. Its such a bright shade but it does not look over the top.

on 3/21/2013 11:07:00 PM

I guess I am in the minority on this product but this LS did not look good on me at all!
I am an NC 43 and it is touted as a good Coral/Orange color for women of color but it was just way too bright for me and not at all flattering. It looked like someone had put an orange crayon on me. As with all of NARS' semi-matte lipsticks, it is dry and really needs a lip balm under it.

on 2/11/2013 11:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I love this lipcolor! It's a flaming red-orange that's great at picking up golden tones in skin. It's listed as semi-matte but it appears completely so when I apply, yet the formula is comfortable enough to wear all day (not the most moisturizing, though, don't be fooled). I find that after a meal it has faded enough to warrant reapplication, but beyond that, it's lasted six hours on me.
Also, the packaging is sturdy and incredibly sleek-- the velvety bullet feels interesting. I will certainly buy again!

EDIT: Like most matte lipsticks, this is pretty drying and sucks up the lipbalm underneath, no matter how much I apply beforehand. Still won't stop me from wearing it.

on 2/5/2013 3:03:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

Pricey but such a pretty orangey-red. Looks good on yellow asian skin.

A little dry but most matte lipsticks are. From matte lipsticks point of view though, the most moisturising.

Not as orangey as I would like. This is has more blue than most orangey-red lipstick. Eyeing Nars Red Square for the real orangey-red.

on 1/16/2013 5:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Hands down the best orange-red lippie shade ever made! If you are like me, a gal who loves oranges, reds, and brights in general you definitely want to invest in this one! Sometimes my NC25/30 skin has issues with reds wherein they can bring out a pink look in my skin. But not this one- I have seen Heatwave on very dark and light complexions of all types of undertones and its always chic and flattering. This color also gives the teeth a whiter appearance which is great. I don't find the matte formula too drying in comparison to other mattes either... Its a bit pricey but I doubt any other colors come close to this as a doupe because its so unique therefore I do feel the price is justified. Plus this isn't an everyday shade so spreading out the $24 bucks over the time it takes to use it up so really it evens out IMO.

on 1/7/2013 9:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Semi-matte red lippy with an orange undertone. Love it, it brightenings up my entire makeup and makes my teeth appear white! However, it can be quite tricky to apply especially the edges of the lips. I might have to get the lip liner in Heat Wave to prevent bleeding. Also, it can be quite drying so I will prep my lips with lip balm first before application.

on 11/5/2012 6:37:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

NARS Heat Wave is absolutely the best orange red ever made.
It is thick without over-drying, the color just perfectly glide on my lips.
The color is so fresh and bright but definitely not tacky. It will just light up a tired/unfresh face.
Love it!!

on 11/2/2012 9:38:00 PM

I am an asian girl with fair complexion (Dior-Forever030). I fell in love with this semi-matte red with orange undertone from NARS. The color is bright and it has more red than MAC's lady danger which was exactly what I was looking for. The staying power is wonderful, it lasts long, doesn't smear and the color is consistent. If you would like to have more moisture with this lipstick you can always add a layer of lipbalm before using it, wait for a little bit then put this lipstick on, you just have to put on a bit more than if you put it on directly, because the balm has a tendency to soften the color a little.

I really love this red-orange lipstick, sexy and complements my fair skin with excellent staying power. will definitely repurchase.

Popular Lipsticks