December 21, 2014 | 1819 users online

Foundations - Lucy Minerals Foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 5/29/2014 1:02:00 AM More reviews by mimochi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really hate to give such a low review, because I wanted to like this foundation. It matched my skin tone perfectly. My color is Pale Olive and I had tried out both formulas for oily skin, neither of which worked for me. I bought this because it is free of bismuth oxychloride, an ingredient in other mineral foundations that was breaking me out.

I think people with normal skin will really like this foundation. I was disappointed that my oil had soaked through the foundation within an hour. Even though I have yellowish olive undertones, there are parts of my face that are quite red. So as this foundation was streaking off, it actually emphasized my redness more. :(

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2014 5:59:00 AM More reviews by Ideas1416

If you had a dry skin, from a practical point, I would refrain from using powders as they are moistue deficient and would suck the moiusture from your skin...

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2014 10:33:00 PM More reviews by ELISAKAY

Excellent makeup with great coverrage. I have tried Bare Minerals, glo Minerals, Lily Lo Lo, Jane Iredale, Mineral Hygienics, Bobby Brown, Lancome, and Tarte Minerals. Also, Amazing cosmetics and IT cosmetics! The Lucy Minerals are much cheaper and wear better. I have normal to dry skin and wear a primer--makeup lasts over 12 hours with a flawless finish!

Packaging is fair, but as long as the product is so good I am fine with that!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2014 5:32:00 PM More reviews by jenglund

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Man, I spent like $100 trying to find the right color and formula. In the end, OCC Light was best. I'm W1 or Mac nc15 ish. Pale olive was an ok shade to conceal blemishes, like EM multitasking concealer shade wise but not as good at sticking around.

Light bunched up and looked yellow in places throughout the day, though. Fair is ghostly. Pale olive was too...olive.

I tried with every Real Techniques brush I own, tried buffing, stippling, even mixing with my SPF moisturizer (which actually worked the best). I also tried using it as concealer and finishing powder only. I just couldn't get long lasting results.

It is definitely creamy. Looks amazing at first. But...even in winter it was separating, blotchy, making me look oily. Or, more like telling the truth that I am oily underneath :) for all that work and messy ness, I want it to look flawless. Not the case.

Definitely better than EM. But even without lauroyl lysine and bismuth, I swear after a couple weeks I was breaking out again. I give up on mineral makeup, officially. I'm pretty sure it's either because minerals are so finely milled that they get all stuck up I'm and on my pores. There's also soooo much TO and ZO that although a small amount is fine, larger amounts of these physical blockers can spell disaster for us oily, acne prone folks.

Customer service is great. No returns sucks. Mascara and blushes are pretty, and I got a few eye shadows out of it, so not a total loss.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2014 7:45:00 PM More reviews by dingodaze

I have absolutely never written a review, or even considered writing a review. A little selfish of me considering I read hundreds of makeupalley reviews daily! (Slow desk job, I have a lot of time on my hands). Being a makeup junkie that loves to look nice and presentable (who doesn't) but has no artistic abilities and doesn't want to spend any more time than necessary on getting ready - this stuff has been a godsend to me. I am no makeup wiz, and often end up with less than identical eye makeup and less than perfect hair. Doesn't really bother me, I'm used to it. The only thing that I can not handle, is my skin. I have battled with acne prone skin that's extremely sensitive, oily AND dry. As well as bouts of eczema that seem to be triggered by just about anything when it feels like rearing its ugly head.

This is definitely HG. I have tried hundreds...literally hundreds, of foundations. Most left with me with and oil slick face by midafternoon, and those that didn't broke me out. Some references for ladies that might have similar skin and take some advice from this review:

Monistat chafing gel as a primer? Breakouts!
Organix Argan Oil conditioner? Back breakouts!
Period time? more breakouts than normal, but nothing crazy
Burt's bees gel cleanser? Deep cystic breakouts that take FOREVER to disappear
Naked 1 and 3 eyeshadow? dry patches on eyelid from eczema (though I keep using cause those rosey tones in 3 got me hooked!)
Revlon ColorStay? (tried multiple times with multiple shades, both formulations. Still got oily and never understood the hype!)
Boots foundation was *pretty* good for awhile...until I moved from Texas to Portland and it somehow changed.

My previous HG was Estee Lauder double wear lite. I have bought 4 or 5 different bottles of this and was positive I had found my match. I still like it and would use it if I didn't have Lucy on hand. I get a little bit oily but not too bad. If Lucy doesn't work I would definitely reccomend a stop at the Estee Lauder counter!

So, on to the review. The website has a TON of shades which is awesome for a light skin brunette with cool eyes/lips/hair and a weirdly yellow based skin tone. Pale Olive is an exact match! Though I can get away with light as long as I don't go near any florescent lighting! You can order a trial size for 2.50 which is AWESOME. I ordered 3 foundations (Lucy Light) and 2 blushes 1 bronzer (light bronzer which is beeeaaauutiful). The trials appear to be teeny tiny, but pack a punch and last for weeks (I've even spilled MULTIPLE times..which I will get to later).
It's an almost creamy powder, that I had no faith in when I first received my trial sizes. (I am NOT a powder girl. Those dry patches make powder the death of me!) I received them coming off of one of the worst cystic acne breakouts I have ever had along my chin (I suspect it is because of the Burt's Bees gel acne cleanser...stay far away from that stuff!) and was desperately finding something to cover the problem yet not exaserbate it. I had read about Lucy a couple of times but never really thought about it after writing off Bare Minerals time and again. After hundreds of reviews and the cheapness of the trial sizes, I bit the bullett and places my order. They arrived promptly 4 days later and I could not WAIT to get the stuff on my face.

The pakaging is not good, it will get everywhere. But it's a loose powder what can you do?!
Also I'm extremely clumsy, and my boyfriend is used to makeup on the floor/counter. ANYWAY.

Just a quick tap of the brush and some circular motions on my face. Dab of concealer, contouring brozer, and a hint of blush and I was done. Took no time at all...and I looked like a mother f***ing movie star. Literally, I was glowing. It was beautiful. I was so excited I couldn't contain myself.

I tried to calm myself down...this has happened before. Only to turn me orange, break me out, or slide of my face by noon. The test would be during my 9 hour work shift. I'll shorten this up and just tell you, I looked as good at 5 as I had at 7:30 and only did a light little dabble around lunch. THIS STUFF IS AMAZING BUY IT NOW. Seriously. I have been furiously typing this review for the past 20 minutes because, it is THAT GOOD.

If you have problem skin like me...you will be kicking yourself for not trying it sooner.
If you order 10 bucks, the shipping is free so what do you have to lose? I promise you won't be disappointed!

Happy shopping ladies!

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/8/2014 11:00:00 PM More reviews by supergal197

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the only powder foundation i will use. I'm not really a fan of powders, especially loose, but this is the only brand i've found that actually matches my skin tone. I have a fair-light olive skintone, between pale olive and creamy olive in this foundation. It is really difficult to find foundations with an olive undertone, and the few out there are geared to more medium-tan olive skin, which is too dark for me. I love that they offer so many shades. This foundation can build up to pretty good coverage for a powder. I have a lot to cover so it doesnt cover everything, but i can build it up enough that i can look presentable. Its good for everyday wear. I dont like how messy it is, but thats what you get with loose powders. It looks pretty natural too once it settles into your skin. Overall i really like this stuff.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2014 5:56:00 PM More reviews by frenchconnection

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is for the Lucy Light formula. I wish I could give it 10 stars!! I have battled SD and malassszia folluculitis for a long time. I must avoid oils, fatty alcohols, cones, etc. So, what to do about a foundation?? I ordered samples after reading reviews and asking lots of questions. I hit the nail on the head with light-medium shade. This stuff makes my oily skin look like velvet. I do not get oily separation, either. Also, no turning orange. Did I mention no irritation or itching, too? I also noticed it provides some sun protection, but I don't believe it's SPF rated. Thank you, Lucy Minerals, for a fabulous product that is simple, clean and beautiful!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2014 7:31:00 PM More reviews by SayIt

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Amazing customer service!!! I love the coverage and it last all day. They have great shadow colors and I absolutely love the eyeliner pencils. I use quest & meteor.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2014 11:33:00 AM More reviews by ahoymaite

This is the only mineral makeup I've found with full enough coverage that looks natural and can be applied quickly. The finish is polished but natural. I've used the regular formula in the past when I was dealing with acne issues, and I definitely wouldn't recommend it to people who are suffering from dry skin and healing acne bumps. It will look cakey and dry. But once you get your skin issues sorted out, the finish is sooo nice. I wouldn't advise putting it in areas where you have fine lines, though. It tends to sink into them and make them look worse.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2013 2:27:00 PM More reviews by Pimpinett

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have recently switched to Lucy Minerals Oil Control Silica after having used Alima for years. The shipping cost became too steep, I felt like I was paying twice as much as I used to a few years back, and it has been working less well than it used to with my skin, too. A friend has been wearing Lucy Minerals for a long time and recommended it very warmly, and with the shipping cost accounted for it's about half the price of Alima, so I looked at the shade she's wearing, tried out a sample of hers and gambled on a pot. Got another full size pot with it, they seem to have frequent special offers.

I have dehydrated skin with a very oily t-zone and frequent breakouts, and silicone primers usually work well for me, so I took a chance on Oil Control Silica. I like it. The finish is nice and natural-looking, not powdery, it keeps me reasonably non-greasy for a fairly long time and never seems to dissolve in a complete oil slick. It holds up well during the day, staying power is good and I hardly see any signs of separating or melting into pores even after 10-12 hours. Coverage is quite a bit better than Alima, and after three or four weeks I see no signs of it aggravating my breakouts; if anything, my skin is better. It emphasises flakes on my dry cheeks, but no more than any other foundation. I find that this works best applied on very well moisturised skin, even slightly oily from a heavy moisturiser. I only wear a primer underneath when I'm going out or being photographed, trying to minimise products and keep my skin as calm as possible.

I am fair with yellow/olive undertones, NC20-ish, Alima Warm 1-2, and right now I get a perfect match mixing Creamy Olive with Pale Olive. I will probably go over to Pale Olive only towards the late winter months when I'm at my palest, and switch to Creamy Olive in the summer, when I get a tiny bit of a tan. The sample I tried is Cream, which is also a good enough match and seems very close in shade to my NC20 Studio Fix powder. Pale Olive is more of an olive-tinged NC15, Creamy Olive is slightly darker than Cream, NC25-ish.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No