Neutrogena SkinClearing Blemish Concealer

3.5

on 1/21/2014 1:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I was not into this concealer the first time I used it. I was used to the consistency of Almay's blemish control concealer, which is a little thicker and covers a bit better. But...I think the Almay one does contribute to break outs a little for me because of its thicker, waxier consistency. I was recently trying to stop the cycle of breakouts and switched to this one just to try it out. I found that it is buildable, so one layer of it toned down any redness or blemishes I had, and dotting it on top of the first layer added more coverage where I needed it. What I like is that the consistency is a little thinner and so it doesn't seem to cause any further breakouts. It is not a perfect product, and like I said, I mainly tried it while trying to get my skin to stop breaking out, and it was good for that. If you need a really good opaque concealer, it probably won't be enough for you though. Almay's has better coverage, or for really excellent coverage, try Dermablend, that stuff really covers.

on 12/3/2013 10:45:00 PM

I bought this last year since I go thru concealers like people drink coffee, figured I'd try something that might clear my breakouts whilst I go about my day. I had high hopes for this, honest. The coverage was actually pretty good, the shade was great on me, blended awesome, and the package is so cute and purseworthy. I loved being able to squeeze out just what I needed and not accidentally overdo it. And it lasted most of the day, me being a chronic face-toucher by habit, only had to reapply once. But this product lead me on! Literally I started having bad breakouts, turned to this and all it did was make my skin dry and flaky where I applied. It lasted me about 3 months, which is pretty good for such a small amount. Once I ran out of what little liquid there was in the tube, my face cleared. Like magic, the blotchy, flaky, overly dry texture went back to it's normal 'meh' self. Maybe it'll work for someone else but it just wasn't for me.

on 10/26/2013 3:55:00 PM

I really like the applicator but it's too thin and doesn't cover as good as I wish

on 9/14/2013 7:58:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I have been using this along with the healthy skin liquid foundation for so many years and they are both wonderful!!! This stuff covers blemishes and scars so well. I have gone through soooo many tubes, but they last a while so the price is great for how long it lasts. I'm not going to say it clears up blemishes because I don't think it does, but it does an amazing job of hiding them. I use the shade light and it matches my pale skin perfectly. You can't even tell I'm wearing makeup it just blends like magic.

**TIP- to get great coverage with this, I apply to my skin with the sponge tip, but blend by patting gently with my ring finger. Do not blend with the sponge tip and do not drag this product around with your fingers. Pat very gently over the area to be covered and add as many layers as needed until you're satisfied. Hope that helps :)

on 9/13/2013 1:29:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I have been breaking out randomly ever since graduating college and as such, I wanted to look for a concealer specific for blemishes. I do not wear foundation (haven't found one that really works for me), but on the rare occasion I wear my Garnier BB Cream.

When I bought this I was very very skeptic it would actually clear up my acne, but some treatment is better than none in my head, so why not give it a go. I chose the color light, though I think it's a tad dark for me. But the next shade down seemed to be too light. Anyway, first time wearing it I was ecstatic. It matched perfectly and blended nicely, covered up the redness from the acne right away, but it definitely does oxidize within an hour for me (which is why I said it might have been too dark for me).

The packaging is great to use, but it definitely doesn't have as much product as it should, in my opinion. It took a few twists at the bottom to get the product out, and sometimes it takes 3-4 clicks for product to show up on the tip. I'm so happy it doesn't have a smell, and I haven't noticed it sliding or rubbing off easily, but I have only used it like twice thus far. It is on the pricier side, just like every other review mentioned, but with a coupon I might definitely repurchase this product! After a few months (if I remember), I'll update this review and mention if it actually helped or not with my breakouts.

**EDIT** I have been using this every day over moisturizer and under my Physician's Formula mineral powder and I don't notice any difference between it actually helping with my blemishes. It doesn't clear them up quicker nor reduce redness or anything. BUT, it still works wonders in concealing them! I'm extremely happy with the product that I added another "star" to the overall rating. Another quick thing though, the product does end up coming out if the bottle is under some pressure or something. Every morning I find that there is enough product on the tip as if I had already twisted the bottom, but I hadn't... just keep that in mind just in case! :)

on 8/14/2013 6:20:00 PM

I got this because I wanted to use it to cover my blemishes, and it was kind of expensive but I liked the idea of it "helping" my acne since it has salicylic acid. Salicylic acid never helped my skin in face washes or toners from the drugstore, but I thought maybe letting it sit on my face for a few hours might help. I couldn't decide what color to get, so I bought two. One was too light and the other was too dark, I tried to mix them but found it was just easier to blend it out. So the color selection is not very good.
Anyway, it didn't make my face break out (most makeup does not do this, though) and it did not help. I've used this concealer while using prescription medication for my skin and it did not change, either.
The coverage is pretty good, but it doesn't last me a whole school day. I like the packaging, so I toss it in my bag for touching up my concealer later in the day. I ended up splurging on a $23 benefit concealer- worth it, but I don't like to carry expensive makeup in my bag because where I live it is very hot and I'm afraid it will melt.
While the packaging is convenient, it doesn't hold very much product and I found myself jamming paper clips in the hole to scoop out little bits, because it would get clogged.
If this product were cheaper, I would repurchase it for touch ups later in the day and the convenient packaging.

on 8/6/2013 9:10:00 AM

I actually really liked this stuff, even with bad reviews. It really does match my skin tone and has a thick consistency! I don't get why everyone's complaining that it has a thin formula. It's very similar to Almay's clear complexion concealer, except it oxidizes better. My only true complaint is you get so little product in one expensive tube, it's kind of a ripoff. Not sure if I will repurchase only because of its price.

on 8/3/2013 9:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This is a good product, a bit pricey, though. Awesome for concealing acne, especially if you have yellow skin tones. I wouldn't recommend using it on peeling skin or undereyes, as it is very drying.

on 7/29/2013 12:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I feel like this concealer worked better than the actual foundation but yet again, after a couple of hours it slide right off and looked worse than my acne without make-up. Doesn't break me out.

on 6/26/2013 11:35:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Very convenient for spot treatment. Great price. Covers decently and is buildable. Helps clear up the spot faster. It's everything you could ask for. I really like it because it helps me to stretch the use of my pricier HG concealer, MUFE's full cover.