September 2, 2014 | 1798 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Healthy Look Creme Gloss Color

rated 2 of 5 on 11/21/2013 10:30:00 AM More reviews by littlemissscareall

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I was strapped for cash and wanted to dye my hair at home instead of having to pay for both a cut and colour in the salon. I got this in Darkest Brown...which on the pictures on the front and back of the box as well as the swatch in the store wasn't particularly dark in my opinion. I was worried if I opted for just the Dark Brown there would be no difference, so I went for Darkest Brown. I used two bottles on my shoulder length hair, to ensure that my thick hair was fully saturated.

I have been dying my hair at home for nearly ten years. I've used many dies, both permanent and semi-permanent like this one, and never have I experienced this problem. When I washed it out, it was BLACK. Whats more, the dye did not take to several areas that I know were fully saturated - I even had my roommate thoroughly check my hair to ensure I hadn't missed any spots. I now have terrible banding and several places where I have dark roots, light brown lengths, and BLACK ends. I am trying to fade it as much as I can before I go to the salon to get my hair coloured properly, as I don't want to have to go back to using permanent dye.

Don't get this dye. Use Natural Instincts if you want to colour your hair semi-permanently at home. I will say that this colour left my hair very shiny, but the colours on the box are very misleading.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2013 7:37:00 PM More reviews by josiebearly11209

I really love this product!! To give you a bit of back ground on my hair I have medium length, medium brown hair that is very thick even after I had long layers cut into it to help de-bulk it a bit. I have been looking around for a semi-permanent hair dye I could use to dye my hair black as I have had very poor previous hair dyeing experiences and am scared to commit to the permanency of a permanent dye.

So I made my mind up and my roommate and I headed out to Walmart at 9AM on a Tuesday in the quest of finding hair dye. My roommate is no stranger to dyeing hair and actually bleached her naturally brown hair to a platinum blonde and had me dye the entire bottom layer burgundy after she had razor cut layers put in. So I knew I could trust her with helping me find a good semi-permanent dye. We ended up settling on this dye by L'Oreal and I was torn between 2. Rich Black and 2B Blue Black. If it were just me I would have went for the 2B Blue Black but my roommate convinced me to go with 2. Rich Black and if I liked the lighter black I could always buy the 2B Blue Black next time and have the darker black which is more of a jet black with blue hues where as this 2.Rich Black I currently have in is more of a naturally black and now that it has settled in my hair I can see it has very dark coffee coloured hues in it and looks more like a natural black as appose to jet black. The box was about $8 so it was quite affordable but pricier then some of the other dyes we looked at. Well worth it however.

With the help of my roommate we did a test strip on an easy to hide section of hair and did a skin test as the box mentioned it had the potential to cause irritation or a negative reaction to those who have a tattoo (which I do). After both tests were successful we were off to the races with dyeing my hair. The one thing that caused concern is my hair is medium length and quite thick and my roommate was quite concerned she would run out of dye. We just made it but I would have liked a bit more product in the package and am sure that someone with longer hair then me would have to buy another box (My hair is about 1/3 an inch past my armpits) I mean it when I say we JUST steered clear of my roommate running out mid-dye job and grabbing another box of dye. Thankfully she was able to work it so we could get coverage on my entire head.

We waited 20 minutes and rinsed the dye out and the first thought I had was how dark it was. Definitely darker then the box depicted but I remembered that with Semi-Permanent dye it ALWAYS comes out darker then it is depicted on the box to and that is because it needs to last 28 shampoos and the first wash the dyes always bleeds onto your towel and the excess colour fades into your hair and keeps it for those 28 washes. We applied the Conditioner that came in the box and to be honest I found it kind of pointless, it didn't really soften my hair or anything along those lines but I have kept it to use once a week like the box instructed to do so. We blow dryed my hair and I ended up straightening it and it was amazingly shiny and looked great! The colour was a lot more black then I anticipated but again that has all to do with the need of it lasting through 28 shampoos. My hair felt a bit "Gritty" I would say and had a kind of rough texture to it but I assumed it is because of the fact I just dyed it and rough blow dryed it and the feeling disappeared after I shampooed and conditioned it a few days later.

It has been a week today and the dye has faded from the extremely severe black it was once it had just been dyed to a much more natural black. It is a lighter black that stays very true to the colour it promised on the box which was a natural, light black. Amazingly my hair if held under a light such as the bathroom light fixture it has dark coffee brown highlights and it has a lot of dimension and has beautiful dark brown highlights through out the natural black base of colour. I think it looks great and is great especially because it not only stays true to the colour it promises on the box but it looks very natural and is not an inky black. It does look very natural and it looks like I was born with this hair colour.

Seeing how I liked this lighter more natural black I will definitely go ahead and use the 2B Blue Black next time as it is an even darker black and more of a jet black with blue hues which is what I originally wanted but I am definitely pleased my roommate convinced me to go with the more natural, lighter black the first time I dyed because it gave me an excellent idea of black hair and I will probably re-dye my hair in the next few weeks with the Blue Black dye and get a darker black like I originally wanted.

This is a great dye though and it takes 20 minutes and honestly ladies we can all spare that for personal beauty. I am definitely not disappointed with this dye and will be re-purchasing, just in a darker black shade.

I do reccomend this product!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/21/2013 12:38:00 PM More reviews by strugglingauthor

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I bought this product on a trip to the US, thinking that it would be the same as L'Oreal Casting Creme Gloss - the packaging is identical. It isn't. The first clue is that you apply it to dry hair rather than wet, as with Casting. This doesn't matter, but it does indicate that the product is different. What does matter is that this product, unlike Casting, doesn't cover grey, thus rendering it a complete waste of time for me. I don't even have that much grey, but I use Casting to cover it at the crown, and it works perfectly. This does not.

I have given it two lippies rather than one, because it is easy to apply and doesn't smell bad, and it didn't actively destroy my hair, and I suppose if you don't want to dye grey hair it might be OK.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/11/2013 11:17:00 PM More reviews by mariefranci

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

In a nutshell, I have tried Natural Instincts semi perm brass free before and it was good. But I was looking for something that was just a tad better. I tried Healthy Look and I must say, it does make your hair look/feel healthy! I dyed it two days ago and my hair still looks healthy. I used the Darkest Brown, so my hair is quite dark. It says on the box if you are undecided between two shades, choose the lighter one because it might be darker than expected. For me though, the darker the better since I have tanned skin it suits me. Follow the instructions! Don't leave it on for too long if you don't want it to get that dark and if your trying to cover redish or golden tones, buy a colour that is neutral. Darkest Brown had no highlights or added colours. It was just neutral. So be careful of what colour you buy. Avoid any colours that have letters beside the number, unless you want those tones.

PROS:
- smells good almost a fruity kind of smell. I liked it compared to other dyes I have used.
- Enough product for my hair, i have really long hair. Usually I have to buy a second box, but because its creamy it covered everything.

CONS:
- I must say, some strands of hair were missed.. but perhaps that isn't the dye it, it was probably me who didn't cover it properly
- I have no gray hair so I can't really tell you if it will cover.. but it did cover some reddish tones in my hair that i got from the sun and past hair colouring.

Overall, I am impressed so far. I will write a review again to see how long the colour actually stays. 28 Shampoos? Lets seee...

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2013 10:33:00 PM More reviews by mandiluk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm still feeling neutral about this hair dye. It's my first time trying a semi-perm hair dye and dying my hair red. Simple box with everything you need and very clear instructions.

After using all of the product on my shoulder length hair, I followed the instructions and washed my hair until it was clear. More color come out during the week's hair washing as well. By the second week with the dye, it stopped. Don't worry if you get it on your towels, it comes out and doesn't damage any clothes. A lot of the color was visible on the top of my head, close to the roots. Less on the rest of my hair. My hair is less soft thought, and without conditioner, whether the one that came with the box or your regular conditioner, it is very dry, coarse and difficult to comb through. When you walk out into the sunlight, BAM red! It is beautiful and looks very natural.

The color is still in after more than 28 washes / 2 weeks. I actually don't have any more color coming out during my washes and absolutely love how my hair and the red in the hair has gotten more and more visable.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2013 2:51:00 PM More reviews by polishnut

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

For reference, I normally use Clairol Natural Instincts hair color but found that it was not covering the gray quite as well nor lasting as long as I would like, so I decided to give this L'Oreal Healthy Look Creme Gloss Color a try. This L'Oreal color lasted longer (six weeks as opposed to three with the Clairol) and covered the gray better. The fact that this is a creme (looks like a toothpaste tube) makes application easier. The smell is not as nice as the Clairol but isn't offensive - it has a kind of musky undertone to it. The conditioner was not as good as I would have liked, though. My hair felt a little brassy after conditioning and not as soft as with the Clairol conditioner. So for the moment, this is my go-to semi-permanent hair color and I would buy it again.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/13/2013 12:20:00 AM More reviews by clp0930

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought this in the shade 'Latte" (dark blonde) which is darker than my natural haircolor. I even left the color on longer than the directions originally stated other than my hair now being frizzy and dry there is absolutely no difference whatsoever. I'm even more annoyed since I bought this at walgreens and it was nearly $11. I like natural instincts, wella, ion demi, and even garnier herbashine (I used to use it when I kept my hair brown, now I'm back to blonde).

I will not repurchase this and I would not recommend it to anyone.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/11/2013 2:56:00 PM More reviews by merryr

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I am caucasion, 58 years old with virgin gray hair. LOTS of white (70%) and medium brown hair (that pulls red). My hair is thick and wavy.

I used L'oreal Healthy Look Creme Gloss Color in 8 1/2 White Chocolate. I did a test of two patches of hair, one with more brown (behind my ear) and one with more white (in front of my ear). Left the color on 15 minutes. The results are so slight that is is not really noticeable. Still had white hair. Brown hair did NOT pull red.

I did a second strand test on opposite side of my head and left color on 25 minutes. Deposited a little more color, but not what I was looking for. More of a very light mousy color and still gray. Did not pull red.

Glad I did a strand test. Did not work for me. I have no pigment in the white hair and Healthy Look color does not have enough pigment to replace the missing pigment in my white hair. Now using Age Beautiful double pigmented hair color from Sally's Beauty. Works like a charm! Now that my hair has color I may retry Healthy look on the shaft and ends.

ALWAYS DO A STRAND TEST! Use a fairly large clump of hair (in a spot you can cover up later) so you can see accurate results. When doing a strand test with box color, check the number of ounces of colorant in relation to the number of ounces of developer. Sometimes it is NOT 1:1. You may have to buy an extra box of color and mix up the whole thing just to do a stand test. This is so you know you have the right ratio of colorant to developer. Good Luck!

UPDATE: I used L'Oreal Excellence Crème in 7BB Dark Beige Blonde which is a cool blonde but not ash. See my review. I like it so far. The Age Beautiful kept coming out too warm and gold for my taste.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2013 3:21:00 PM More reviews by snowshoe73

I wanted to give my hair a break from the permanent dye, so I switched over to semi-permanent. I picked this brand solely because of the color--I wanted a cool reddish brown and Chestnut Brown fit the bill. I know that with semi-permanent dye I won't get the exact color on the box, but at least it will get me into the ballpark.

The formula is rich...too rich: I also suffered from the clogged nozzle syndrome that others mentioned. But at least the cream didn't run when applied. Odor is pretty pleasant for a hair dye. Hair wasn't damaged in the process and emerged somewhat softer and more conditioned than it was before I began. The color was what I wanted and lasted a long time. It takes a couple of washes to remove the excess dye and really improve the look. It's actually more permanent than it lets on--it didn't entirely fade out and I was left with mildly visible roots.

There is a wide range of colors to choose from. Remember that as it's semi-permanent dye, you can't use it to lighten your hair, not even from dark blonde to light blonde. You can use it to darken your hair but go too dark and the color will be very flat, as well as difficult to fade. Semi-permanent hair color is best for changing the tone of your hair color (e.g., going more golden or more ash) and covering grays. If you're not willing to stay within a shade or two of your current/natural hair color, then you should choose a permanent dye for better results.

I would repurchase it...I have, actually.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/10/2013 11:17:00 AM More reviews by brookesbby

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It had been about 7 months since I had died my hair and my hair was a lighter brown and decided to try and dye it with a medium/lighter blonde with Healthy Look. The pricing was great and I used the product right away. It didn't really smell, which was good, but worried me because most good hair dying products smell pretty awful, but work beautifully. After leaving it in for 30 minutes, I rinsed it out, blow-dried it and found out that the only thing it worked on was my roots! I was left with blonde roots and brown hair. Not a good combo, my fellow hair experts. So I had an extra box and a month later went through the same routine and it lightened my brown this time, but only by a little bit. I was not satisfied with this product at all! I think it doesn't really look and will be going back to the Excellence Creme also by L'oreal, but that stuff actually works! I really loved the Excellence Creme, but hate this Healthy Look stuff. Worst I've ever bought and I've boxed dyed my hair now for a little over two years.