4.5

Turmeric Powder

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I'm Indian, so I've grown up knowing about the use of turmeric but I'd never actually properly tried it before and it is so good.

Little background about me, I suffer from moderate acne, I get spots but never any cystic ones and they're usually either small or not too large. They are super stubborn, and I usually end up picking which is why I have LOADS of acne marks. I do wear makeup, but a combination of not finding my correct shade and just not being bothered anymore as I do look better w/out makeup so would love to be able to go makeup free has led me to try this.

Following a mask recipe on YouTube, I use Turmeric, Yoghurt, Besan (Gram Flour), Castor Oil and Rosewater, however I tried the Castor Oil for a day and I didn't really want it in the mask because my skin is so acne prone that any oils do tend to break it out. I add Rosewater when I'm bothered tbh, the first 3 ingredients are the main ones.

What I love about this mask: it dries but not uncomfortably & you can mix turmeric w/ about anything to suit your needs. YES it will stain! That's if you don't mix it with something other than just water. It's common sense. Mine doesn't stain at all.

Results: I'm feeling so positive about this method that I'm gonna update when I feel like there's a drastic change. Positive or negative. Been using it for 3 days so far and I love it, so cheap and easy to make that when I live out in uni accommodation I can make it then too. It's really brightened my face up and is definitely helping any active acne to disappear.

UPDATES:

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I can not believe i never try this mask untill last week. I have use tumeric mask for 5 times now, my face went from grey dull to lively brighten and pink skin, No more blocked pore and under-skin pump and it does even out my face. Everyone should try this simple mask.
My trick is adding a pinch of cinnamon powder.

I am a big fan of natural and home remedies when it comes to taming my adult hormonal acne (drugstore products are way too harsh) but also proceed with caution when something is touted as a "miracle cure" or claims to have a myriad of insane beauty and health benefits. However, turmeric has gained a lot of buzz over the last few years as the natural beauty scene becomes more and more prevalent. I decided to give it a try as I have had luck with other herbs and spices (compared to other home remedies), though this overwhelmingly had the best reviews. After my monthly visit by Aunt Flo ended a couple weeks ago my usual hormonal breakouts that usually subside shortly thereafter decided to stick around much past their welcome. I made a mask of organic turmeric powder, organic lemon juice and a bit of filtered water to create the desired consistency. I applied a pretty liberal layer to freshly oil-cleansed skin and let it sit for about 20 minutes (definitely felt the tingle with that lemon juice!). I washed it off with lukewarm water, using the turmeric powder as an exfoliant while doing so, and the staining of my fair skin afterwards was awful (and scary)! Luckily I quickly figured out that oil cleansing again (I use Aura Cacia Organic Sweet Almond Oil) afterwards would remove a majority of the staining. I then applied my standard night cream and then spot treated a couple nasties with the turmeric mixture and let it work overnight (all of this was done before bed). When I woke up the next morning my skin was NOTICEABLY smoother, less inflamed, less red and many of the larger pimples that were ruling my jawline virtually subsided.

I am no skincare guru but have tried my fair share of remedies on the worst of hormonal acne and this, by far, tops the list. Typically things of this nature cease to be effective after a few uses but this is certainly not the case with turmeric. A gentle yet effective way to get radiant skin and seriously calm down any inflamed breakouts, even the dreaded and seemingly incurable hormonal ones. I am in love.

** As mentioned by many others: BE CAREFUL when using turmeric. It stains like hell and is impossible to get off of many materials and surfaces. I have a couple dedicated rags and towels that I use as well as a crappy t-shirt. Make sure your hands are thoroughly washed afterwards as well; I stained my relatively pricey iPhone case after doing this the first time as a result of not doing so. **

here's my take on this mask:

1 table spoon of turmeric
1 1/2 table spoon of plain yogurt
1/2 table spoon of honey

mix it into a paste and apply to face, neck, arms and belly.
wait 40 minutes during which I occasionally spray some Avene Eau Thermale to keep the drying powder fall off. thenh was it off with lukewarm water but no soap. it takes a few minutes to get the stuff off my skin.

pros:
super soft skin
helps with hair removal
dries acne
brightens skin
tightens pores

cons:
stains (but I find jojoba oil over night works with getting the yellow out)
smell can be a bit overpowering (if you have a sensitive nose like I do)
messy.

overall: WORTH ALL THE HASSLE!

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Usually I eat tumeric but recently I tried it and WOW the results are amazing my skin is flawless!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

Curcumin has a number of medicinal properties: anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-tumor. Medicinal properties of turmeric have been known since the second millennium BC. Turmeric used in ancient India for the treatment of a wide range of diseases. So I decided to try this drug against pain in the back, which did not allow to sleep. Miracle! For 2 months of taken, the pain began to leave!

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

I have used a variation of this mask for years. It works so well, is super easy to mix up & costs almost nothing compared to the store bought masks i'd use. My favorites are:
Tumeric, besan & yohurt mix for brightening.
Turmeric, honey & yoghurt mix for hydration.
Turmeric, honey, yoghurt & a drop of ACV for brughtening, hydrating & toning.
Love it!

I have made a mask out of turmeric (1tsp), gram flour (1tsp), jojoba oil (1 tsp), lemon juice (1tbs), and milk (as needed). You can play with the liquid ingredients until you achieve a relatively thin consistency, which will improve ease of application and help in the removal process.

So, I have used this mask a couple times and I am impressed at the brightening properties! I am going to start making this mask apart of my beauty routine and apply it 1-2 times a week. The more you use it the quicker you will see results.

If your skin is stained yellow after washing the tumeric mask you have a few options. You can either use an exfoliating cleanser, but if you do not have that on hand you can use table sugar and water to scrub your face free of any yellow residue.

I am looking forward to the future payoff of this mask. Highly recommend!

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I've found that turmeric mixed with lemon juice works best for my undereye circles. A few applications of this over a week, and my under eye area looked bright. Never saw such an immediate effect with store bought creams. It is very messy, and stains your towel when you're wiping it off, which is why I like to limit it to just an under eye treatment tried it a few times on my dark spots on my face, and I didn't see much of an effect, but I might just need to give it more time. As for acne, I didn't like this too much. I found that my honey and milk masks worked much better and were less messy.

DARK CIRCLE SUFFERERS PLEASE READ

Let me first state I don't buy store bought products anymore, I just feel natural products work better and are more cost effective. The reason I STOPPED buying store bought products is I've spent HUNDREDS of dollars trying to minimize my under eye circles. I've had them since I was young and the older i get they become progressively worse. I have just come to accept I will always have to wear makeup under my eyes (2 layers) and hide form my boyfriend in the morning. I saw reviews and videos on it (even the ones here) and said let me give it a try, only a few people talk about dark circles. The ones who did said it worked but it was a lot of sifting to get past the acne and acne blemish posts.
So I purchased the turmeric and I decided to use it on overload to see the results. I can afford to do it more than some because of my darker skin. I still saw a yellowish tint and I had to use a cotton ball and oil to clean off twice to get the yellow tint to leave AFTER I had already washed off the product. Let me just tell you that I'm in SHOCK! I don't leave reviews anywhere. Like literally anywhere. I used it 2x per day for 2 days and left it on for about an hour each time, just to see if it did anything and this is the best my dark circles have looked in years! I still really can't believe it. I went out today for the first time in years without make up. They are not gone YET (I say yet with confidence) but they are better and that made me feel great. At first I questioned myself and said no way I want them to go away so I'm convincing myself but by the 4th 1 hour application, I couldn't deny what was happening. It's actually clearing them away. I didn't sleep yesterday and they were still better than the past. It may take long if you are not on overload so I did 2x for an hour each for 1 hour each.....if you are doing it 20 mins 2/week it would take 12 applications or 6 weeks for you notice what I do. Please don't give up and think it doesn't work. I have a short attention span so I knew if I didn't overdo it at first I wouldn't stick with it. If you are fairer skinned and want quick results....If you have the time to do quite a few wipe downs to clean it off go for it. I'm happier with these results than I've ever been with any product I've used for my eyes. Best overdose I've ever done ;-)

My latest recipe for my entire face
besam
buttermilk
turmenic

My other recipe for just eyes
buttermilk

Tazorac
Unblemish
Unblemish

Video Reviews & Tutorials

How to get clear skin, remove acne, and dark circles by farahdhukai

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products