Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus SPF 30

3.5

on 7/22/2004 3:44:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I thought this product was too greasy. It was like putting stright petroleum jelly on my arms and legs. I liked the smell and I did'nt get any bug problems thoe. If I can get immune to the greasy feeling it would be a good product bug repellant wise.

on 5/22/2004 11:45:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I use this stuff all summer long and it's great. Unfortunately, I live where the United States' highest population of mosquitos, black flies, horse flies, deer flies, and house flies also reside. (No, I'm not kidding! We have special reports on the news concerning the 'insect level' every day during the summer months!) Although I still get some bites, I get far less than when I use other repellents, including those with DEET. The sunscreen in it is nice too, so you don't have to take forever putting on layer upon layer of protectants.

P.S. Whoever said that this product does not actually contain sun protection is wrong--I am an Avon representative and assure you that this product is approved for sun protection.

on 4/14/2004 12:44:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I like this product for bug repellant. It works good. Price is ok if you get it on sale. This is such a safer alternative than DEET based products. I'd use additional sun protection with this product. I've bought this again and again. Had a friend who went to Canada, out on the lake and couldn't believe how well it protected him and his family from bugs.

on 12/17/2003 3:25:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

DO NOT BUY THIS! IT DOESN'T CONTAIN UVA PROTECTION! Unless you want to get skin cancer, wrinkles and discolorations, ofcourse...
I don't recommend this at all -completely useless!

on 8/5/2003 8:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I never understood why Avon sold a bug guard/sun protection combo until I went South on vacation! In Ohio, it's not a problem that we contend with at the same time!

This may be fine for bug guard, but for sun protection, it does not work! The day I used this, I burned my skin so bad it blistered and peeled! And this was supposed to be SPF 30. I used Coppertone 15 all the other days with no problems at all!!! Girls, don't count on this for sun protection!! It is bad. Also, the container leaked blue sticky gel/lotion all over my bag and dissolved part of the vinyl lining. Very bad experience. I usually like Avon, but now I'm hoping this isn't representative of all their products!

I threw it away!

on 8/1/2003 11:35:00 AM

DEET is dangerous! I can't believe that they used to give us Off at summer camp, and we used to spray it on ourselves like crazy! I've read studies in which neural damage has resulted from DEET use. It is especially damgerous in children, and is belived to have caused death in some cases. Why use a product that warns you that you must wash it off after use?!? Avon SSS was one of first widely marketed DEET free bug repellents in the US. It's great, and I absolutely love it! I'm a woodsy girl during the summer, and absolutely worship this stuff.

on 7/20/2003 5:34:00 PM

I *love* this sunscreen. I like the smell, and the blue kind for kids is really fun.

At first I was concerned, because I read that it didn't contain deet, but then I found out how dangerous deet is, especially to allergy and asthma prone people, which my DH and I are. I also saw a comparison (on CNN maybe?) between sunscreens that contained deet and ones that didn't, and deet didn't prevent anything more than a non-deet product. When other companies say that ONLY deet will protect you from West Nile, they're lying...trust me, I'm from Louisiana!

on 7/14/2003 4:02:00 AM

I DO NOT recommend this product for sun protection! It does not contain any of the active ingredients Avobenzone (aka Parsol 1789), zinc oxide, or titanium dioxide. Without one or more of these active ingredients, you're only getting 20% protection from UVA rays at the very most. 20% isn't enough to protect you from sun damage such as wrinkles, discoloration, and worst of all, skin cancer. You're actually putting yourself at higher risk using a sunscreen like this because you allow yourself to be exposed to UVA rays longer, since you're not burning. PLEASE be sure you apply a broad spectrum sunscreen with the active ingredients I mentioned as well as a bug repellent. Avon's other sunscreens are broad spectrum, as long as you get one with at least an SPF 15.

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I love this product. Works really well blocking the sun and bugs. It also leaves behind a sheen that looks like you just put baby oil on so it looks really sexy on your skin. This is my summer staple!

on 11/12/2002 5:48:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a great product. It is really hard to find a lotion that gives sun protection and insect repellent at the same time. When you have hyper kids dying to go outside, who has time to layer different lotions on them?? Only thing is the smell is a bit strong. Otherwise, works great!