April 19, 2014 | 1768 users online

Nails - Orly - Nail Rescue

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2010 1:48:00 PM More reviews by perfumequeen

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Thank you MUA for the recommendations to try this product! I have only recently been able to grow my nails past my fingertips and was looking to repair a split. Went to Sally's based on MUA recommendations and tried this Nail Rescue, following a helpful MUAer who said to just pinch out some of the powder instead of dipping the nail into the powder. Success! Works perfectly until I remove polish and only takes a minute to redo.

Well worth the price to have this on hand.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/2/2010 9:19:00 PM More reviews by mualibertad

This product really works well at holding together split or broken nails and lasts through several polish changes if you use a non-acetone remover. When it's time to remove it, use an acetone based remover.

I rated this a three because the glue is clumpy and hard to work with and there is a learning curve if you simply rely on the printed directions. The powder can be messy to use. Nevertheless, I would definitely buy this again, because it is much better than the wraps or tea bag method.

This is what I've learned in using this that might help you:

1) Don't dip your nail into the powder (as instructed). Instead, apply the glue, then take a pinch of powder between your thumb and forefinger and 'sprinkle' the powder onto your nail, as if you are adding some salt to a recipe. After you've covered the glue area with powder, tap your fingertip on a hard surface and the excess powder will fall off. I prefer this method because dipping your nail with wet glue into the pot causes the glue to compress and creates ridges which are much harder to file down.

2. 2 coats will make for a real strong mend, and you don't have to worry about hurting your nail bed when you smooth the ridges.

3. Make sure that you let the glue and powder dry completely before trying to file. I even will repair the nail before bed and file down the next morning.

4. The mended nail requires more filing/smoothing than you would think. It is possible to get it really smooth, so keep at it, but watch your nail bed. As you file, wipe your nail with a damp cloth to remove the filings. This will help you assess how smooth the surface has really gotten.

5. You can cover the whole nail, or just a small area, but if you get good at smoothing, it's probably best to cover the whole nail as it makes for a stronger repair job.
Hope this helps.

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2010 9:46:00 PM More reviews by Nokomi

So far I'm really impressed! I have a split midway up my nail so if it came off it would really hurt.

I tried the teabag method and it just didn't work. It wouldn't set with clear polish and superglue looked totally fake. You could see the edges of the teabag.

This was easy to use and looks totally natural. The only thing I would suggest is getting a 4 way buffing block or file to make it toally smooth. It's white so you do need to add a colored polish. You can't just leave it naked or it would look weird.

This wears really well too. It broke after a week but that's when I was cleaning and moving furniture. It's takes a bit of time to remove but it's not too bad. I just reapplied and it's fine now. I love this stuff!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/26/2009 3:31:00 PM More reviews by otrivialalivia

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was trying to wait to buy this from an etailer, because it is so much cheaper. But when I developed two tears, one on each thumb, I rushed to Sally's Beauty Supply to get it. Even though the direction say to cover the entire nail I only used it over the tear & it worked fine. It's easy to use & keeps the tear in place until my nail grows out enough to file away.

The file included in the kit is not sufficient to file the patch smooth, so I used a 3-way buffer to smooth the patch. The outline of the patch is sometimes visable under my mannicure, but careful filing with a 3-way buffer & practice can minimize that.

If you use a nail polish remover with acetone the patch will need to be re-done every time polish is changed. I have used non-acetone remover on just the repaired nail when I don't have time to re-do the fix & the patch continues to hold well until I remove it.

I have managed to use Orly's Nail Rescue long enough to grow out & file away the nail damaged without any damage to my nail. I just make sure to be careful not to file my natural nailbed surrounding the patch. This is the only risk I see in using this product so careful filing & patience is required.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2009 8:05:00 PM More reviews by lairkeeper

Just found this at Sally Beauty today. Had one nail that was broken below the quick about half way across.

This was easy to use. Just paint on nail glue, dip nail in powder, brush off excess and buff. The buffer that was included didn't make the repair as smooth as I would have liked so I used a 4 way buffing block to get a smooth finish. Seems to be holding strong. Much stronger than the silk wraps I've had in the past. It seems to be an acrylic. There is a slightly hazy look to that nail now without polish, but would be invisible under color. If it lifts in less than a week I will update.

Considering applying it to my other nails just for strength. But will wait to see how this one looks after the repaired area grows out. Will also update if it causes any damage to the underlying nail.

Only $6.99 regular price. I got $1 off today.