Orly Nail Rescue

4.5

on 1/19/2013 2:50:00 PM

I had broken one of my nails WAY down into the quick on each side, and the goal was trying to save it and keep it from tearing until it grew out long enough to trim. I tried clear polish and a piece of a teabag, and crazy glue, but the nail kept tearing more. I went to Sally's and the friendly sales lady recommended a one step brush on treatment that was much cheaper than Orly Nail Rescue. After checking the reviews on the website, I found that the Orly Nail Rescue had gotten much higher reviews from users. I took back my original purchase and bought the Orly instead. I followed the easy directions exactly, brushing on the liquid, then dipping my nail into the powder. After buffing until smooth, and then repeating the whole process again, the results were great. It put a smooth coating over the torn places, and they no longer snagged or felt uneven. After putting my regular polish over the repaired nail, the flaws were completely undetectable! I took one point off for packaging, because the brush on liquid comes in a narrow oval-shaped bottle, which would be easily tipped over and spilled.

on 4/15/2012 7:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Let me just start this review off by saying that I get peelies in the worst way. Even with using my Nailtiques formula 2 (which strengthens them like a rock) somehow my nails always manage to start peeling from the sides. Whenever they'd get past 2mm in length I would always just cut all my nails to nubs to avoid any breaks. Orly nail rescue changed all that.

Before my quick fix used to be Krazy Glue, but even that wouldn't keep the nail from breaking if I hit it against something. With the brush applicated glue and the nail powder, it's strengthened my nails and held both sides together (even despite a few hard snags/hits) until the peels grow out completely.

My only complaint is that you have to time it just right when dipping your nail in the powder, otherwise it will get all lumpy and even with buffing, it makes it hard for you to wear creme or frost polishes. I currently have 4 nails that have started peeling, but thanks to Nail Rescue I don't have to cut my nails down to nubs.

on 2/12/2012 7:29:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

This did not rescue a damn thing. It lasted for about 3 days on me (yes, I followed the directions to the letter). It cracked on both fingers I put it on and the nail I was trying to rescue went with it. Never again.

on 12/18/2011 9:52:00 AM

This stuff is the shizznit--I will never be without this in my arsenal.

I'm posting this review because I had a little crack in my thumbnail, horizontal, right beside the cuticle and below the quick. I repaired it with this about a month and a half ago and I Can. Not. Find. the crack now. I know for a fact it hasn't just grown off because it was pretty far back.

It has stayed on through I don't know how many manis, through removal and cleanup with acetone, through everything. It doesn't show at all, not through polish, not on my naked nail.

This is how I used it, which is a little different from the way the directions tell you to use it:

-Painted a little of the glue over just the cracked area
-Sprinkled some of the powder over the glue till it was densely covered
-Waited till it was fully hard and dry
-Buffed off the excess with a buffing block
-Continued about my manicuring business as usual

ROCK SOLID and as I said, I can't find the crack now. Get you some, just in case.

One warning, be neat about how you work with the glue and brush, because if you get the glue all over the bottle neck it will glue itself shut and you have to go buy a new box. It didn't happen to me, but it happened to someone here and unfortunately she didn't discover the problem until she really needed to use it, so be careful with the glue. continued >>

on 8/16/2011 9:52:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I have what seems to be a permanent split down my ring finger on my left hand. I could never get my nail to grow because it would always split or catch on something and tear. When I saw this kit at Sallyís I picked it up right away. This kit is a stroke of luck for splitting or cracked nails. The teabag repair wasnít working for me. I read the directions and actually watched a couple videos on Youtube on how to apply it. Once the glue and powder are on and dry, the nail is buffed smooth (this takes a bit more effort than you might think), you wonít even know itís there. The split is no longer an issue and this nail can grow without me worrying it will split or crack again. My nail feels a little thicker and stronger with the glue. Will repurchase.

on 3/29/2011 10:02:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I had been using silk to help repair my broken nails, but when I saw this at Sally's I bought it Good thing, as I had 3 tears today. Since I didn't want to cut my nails, I used this as the directions say. I repeated it twice. I only applied it toward the edge of the tears and not over the whole nail. The repair is strong, I am not afraid of further breakage. It looks great with nail polish on top. Love it. Its much easier than other ways to repair.

on 11/18/2010 12:46:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

The Orly Nail Repair worked great. The only thing I would change is the corny buffing square. I had to resort to using my own buffing block to really see results.

-1 for the buffer. A 4 manicured tip rating!! :)

on 9/18/2010 1:48:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Thank you MUA for the recommendations to try this product! I have only recently been able to grow my nails past my fingertips and was looking to repair a split. Went to Sally's based on MUA recommendations and tried this Nail Rescue, following a helpful MUAer who said to just pinch out some of the powder instead of dipping the nail into the powder. Success! Works perfectly until I remove polish and only takes a minute to redo.

Well worth the price to have this on hand.

on 4/2/2010 9:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This product really works well at holding together split or broken nails and lasts through several polish changes if you use a non-acetone remover. When it's time to remove it, use an acetone based remover.

I rated this a three because the glue is clumpy and hard to work with and there is a learning curve if you simply rely on the printed directions. The powder can be messy to use. Nevertheless, I would definitely buy this again, because it is much better than the wraps or tea bag method.

This is what I've learned in using this that might help you:

1) Don't dip your nail into the powder (as instructed). Instead, apply the glue, then take a pinch of powder between your thumb and forefinger and 'sprinkle' the powder onto your nail, as if you are adding some salt to a recipe. After you've covered the glue area with powder, tap your fingertip on a hard surface and the excess powder will fall off. I prefer this method because dipping your nail with wet glue into the pot causes the glue to compress and creates ridges which are much harder to file down.

2. 2 coats will make for a real strong mend, and you don't have to worry about hurting your nail bed when you smooth the ridges.

3. Make sure that you let the glue and powder dry completely before trying to file. I even will repair the nail before bed and file down the next morning.

4. The mended nail requires more filing/smoothing than you would think. It is possible to get it really smooth, so keep at it, but watch your nail bed. As you file, wipe your nail with a damp cloth to remove the filings. This will help you assess how smooth the surface has really gotten.

5. You can cover the whole nail, or just a small area, but if you get good at smoothing, it's probably best to cover the whole nail as it makes for a stronger repair job.
Hope this helps.

on 3/7/2010 9:46:00 PM

So far I'm really impressed! I have a split midway up my nail so if it came off it would really hurt.

I tried the teabag method and it just didn't work. It wouldn't set with clear polish and superglue looked totally fake. You could see the edges of the teabag.

This was easy to use and looks totally natural. The only thing I would suggest is getting a 4 way buffing block or file to make it toally smooth. It's white so you do need to add a colored polish. You can't just leave it naked or it would look weird.

This wears really well too. It broke after a week but that's when I was cleaning and moving furniture. It's takes a bit of time to remove but it's not too bad. I just reapplied and it's fine now. I love this stuff!

Top Rated Orly Products