Revlon Revlon Super Lustrous-Sassy Mauve

4.3

on 1/18/2013 9:13:00 AM

Let me start off by saying that I love the formula of this lipstick..its creamy and moisturizing. Sometimes I forget I have it on. Unfortunately this color only looks good on me when I pat it to my lips...if applied with a heavy hand the purple undertones shine through. I will purchase more colors from this line

on 10/22/2012 6:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I love Revlon's SL lipsticks, but this one, though I think the color is flattering, didn't meld to my lips as I'd like. I'm a darker caramel lady, and I've seen this color look good on others my shade and darker, but on my heavily pigmented lips, it just looks like I slapped on some paint. Two lippies because the general formula is good.

on 10/18/2012 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I was looking for a MLBB nude pink mauvey color. Unfortunately, it's hard with drugstore brands since you can't swatch it and online the swatches tend to look different with skin tones and lighting... On me, Sassy Mauve looked more like a bright purpley mauve pink more than a mauve.

Pros:
Bright purpley mauve pink
Matte finish
Doesn't settle in creases
Long lasting
Not too drying

Cons:
Not true to color (darker than they appear in the tube and online swatches)
Drying needs lip balm
Only lasts 3-4 hours

EDIT: I use my Revlon ColorBurst Lipstick in Soft Nude over my Revlon Super Lustrous Sassy Mauve for a lighter mauve pink color! It's beautiful!!

on 9/2/2012 11:55:00 AM

Way better than Mauve it Over on my NW20 almost black hair, brown eyed face, natural rosey lips. It is way more pink mauve than brown mauve and looks so much brighter & better than Mauve it Over did on me.

on 3/24/2012 12:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

love this shade! its usually around $8 around me but i got it on 40% off for round 4.50. i think this is a perfect pink for my skintone. Its fairly long lasting. the moisturizing aspect goes away after about 2 hours but it leaves the most amazing color on my lips. Love this lipstick

on 12/9/2011 2:23:00 AM

This lipstick is a pink with purple undertones. It's really pigmented and long-lasting. The only reason I rated it a 4 instead of a 5 because the color does not suit me perfectly. I have to do a light application because too much can make me look a bit dead. It's too cool toned for my skintone.
I think it would look great on someone with a lighter skintone though.

on 8/16/2011 12:26:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

This lipstick looks a beautiful blue toned pink on me. Its very wearable. I usually just dab on a little for a pink stain w/ some lipgloss and that works best for me. If I smear/ glide it on, the blue undertones conflict with my olive-brown (tan?) south asian skin so I have to be careful. The texture is really nice though and I wish I could just swipe it and it would still look nice :(
Anyways, yeah i would recommend this one and I think most skin tones would be able to use it.

on 4/28/2011 12:27:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I've been searching for years for a lipstick like this. Finally found the perfect shade for my coloring, which is very fair with barely pigmented lips. This shade looks like the color nature should've given me... like the rosey lips of a child. The price is great, the texture is light with no noticeable taste or scent.

This color makes it into my top 5 lipsticks of all time. Beautiful color just what I wanted. I do agree its very pink for a true mauve but i dont mind at all. Looks stunning on my NC 25 skintone. Its a creme finish and I love it soooo much <3

on 3/22/2011 8:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

Revlon Super Lustrous 'Sassy Mauve' #463

Well, this is my Holy Grail of pink lipsticks now. So much so, that whenever I'm in CVS, I pick a couple up when they have it on sale. I do the same with Revlon's 'Certainly Red' in the Super Lustrous line as well. Why? Because experience has taught me that as soon as I find a product I love, it's discontinued.

ON TO THE LIPSTICK--

COLOUR: Colour is so subjective it's almost not even worth noting, however... this colour is a definite PINK with LAVENDER undertones. I used to wear Revlon's 'Mad About Mauve' #490, (but can't find it anymore), and that was much more mauve with pink undertones.

I like this one better. The 'Sassy Mauve' is lighter, a much less 'in-your-face' colour than my previous lipstick. I find it goes with everything I wear... and in every season... all the browns, creams, and blacks in my closet, right along with all my blues and turquoises. Surprisingly, it goes well with yellow, but does not go well with any of the red, orange, or coral family.

THE MATERIALS: Revlon's Super Lustrous lipsticks have that name for a reason... because they are just that. They are creamy and go on oh-so-smoothly. And, the formula has no taste or odor to me at all. They do not make your lips feel 'tight', which is what happens when a product is drying-out your flesh.

This particular shade, 'Sassy Mauve', gives a matte-finish... but the creaminess leaves the slightest shine. It is not a frosted lipstick whatsoever. If that's what you're after, look elsewhere.

THE PIGMENTATION: I would rate this as above average. Which is one of the things I like about it... it's not so saturated with pigment that you look like a freak-show... lips a mile ahead of your actual entrance. Nor is it so sheer that only you can tell it's there because you, yourself, put it on.

One swipe of this lipstick and you're good to go. And the colour stays... it has lasting power.

I've eaten I don't know how many meals with this lipstick on, and even after blotting my mouth, the colour is still there. Of course, the lipstick itself is down to it's last hurrah, (and will need to be refresed), but the colour remains. Unless, of course, you're eating ribs and are wiping your mouth completely and consistenly thru your meal, *lol*.

Because of the 'one swipe will do ya', kissing is lovely with this lipstick. Your lips feel creamy and moist... not tight and dried-out; nor gloppy as when using most lip glosses.

APPLICATION: I'm of the old-school... I apply my lipstick with a brush. Alas, in today's hustle-bustle world, women seem to want to slap-dash their lipstick on right out of the tube. Of course, this gives less than satisfactory results and, quite often, is the actual problem when it comes to lipstick.

Putting on lipstick out of the tube is too much. Instead of enhancing your lips with colour, you have effectively put a coat of paint on them instead. Applying make-up is an 'art form'; and I guarantee you there is not one make-up artist in the world who would apply lipstick straight out of the tube and onto their client's lips... I don't care what the commercials on tv show.

Having said all that, *lol*, you can apply this lipstick out of the tube, but be sure to blot the excess off. Or, you can learn the proper way to apply lipstick and, instead of wasting your colour, and medium, on a tissue, use a brush instead... your lipsticks will last far longer as well.

Of course, for a more dramatic look, apply a lip-liner first. I would only do this for evening-wear tho.

AS A BLUSHER: Again, being of the old-school, I use 'rouge' as a blusher... never powder. Powder is too harsh and too diffcult to control. Rouge is perfect. And the trick I learned is to use your lipstick as your rouge. It is easy to apply, easy to control, and gives that flawless look because your lips match your cheeks.

Apply your Foundation; apply your Lipstick as Rouge; feather it out with a cosmetic sponge; then apply your matte Face Powder over it. Voila. Finish your eyes, and apply your Lipstick last. What a lovely surprise you will have when you look in the mirror to see your face harmonizing this way.

IN SUMMARY: Revlon's Super Lustrous 'Sassy Mauve' is for me. It's my Holy Grail. I love everything about it-- the Colour of it; the Creaminess of it; the Pigmentation of it; the Staying Power of it; the Ease of Application; and the ability to use it as a Rouge because it IS so creamy.

As to the actual colour-- everyone has to try for themselves. There are not enough words in the entire universe that can explain colour adequately, nor whether it will complement someone else's skin tone, personality, or preference.

But-- if you like 'mauvish pink', then I would highly recommend giving 'Sassy Mauve' a try. If you buy it at CVS, you can return it, without question, if you don't like it. Just save the packaging and receipt and they will refund your money to you forthwith. So there's nothing to lose by trying this lovely colour.

Popular Lipsticks