Revlon Quick Dry Top Coat

4.1

oje

I would probably buy this again unless I found something better. It does work great. It provides good protection and a glossy finish. It lets my mani last for about 4-5 days without a chip.

However, it is not fast drying. I give it about an hour to dry completely. But overall, it is pretty good!

on 6/24/2014 10:57:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I quite like this top coat!

I've been somewhat put off by using topcoats after using a Sally Hansen one that was just awful... This one however, has somewhat restored my faith.

This top coat is lovely and does what it says - provides a super shiny finish, and dries quite quickly. It also settles and evens itself out very well. It HAS bubbled on me a few times though - I noticed this usually happens if I apply a really thick coat of it or if the polish underneath is still too wet.

I don't necessarily think this top coat is amazing, but I find that when I apply it skilfully, it does do a good job of protecting my polish and giving a beautifully shiny finish. Because the price is so reasonable, I would probably repurchase.

I'd love to find a HG topcoat though! Any suggestions?

on 6/18/2014 1:52:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I worked at a nail salon for a couple of years, so a nail tech must have a supply of things at home. I really like this top coat. I don't think it is the best out there, but I use it all the time because it does dry quickly. I am not saying 15 minutes, but I play it safe and gift it at least an hour to be completely dry. It gives a nice shine to everything, which is the most important role of a top coat besides protecting the polish underneath. There are brands that can be on the expensive side, but this is about 3-5 dollars at the most, so it saves money. As for the application of this product, it is really thin. Other reviewers described it as being oily, which is the way the consistency is. I have a problem with the brush though, which ruins nail art too easily because it grabs way too much polish when it is being painted with. You have to be careful with using this top coat because it doesn't have enough goopyness to it. I have grown rather fond of it now that I have learned to use it as a nail tech, but this seems like a bad top coat for nail techs in training or amateurs.

on 5/9/2014 9:39:00 AM

I found that this top coat took ages to dry (certainly wasn't fast drying) and didn't have an overly shiny finish. I found it quite oily, which made it prone to cracking. I also found that it smudged my nail art really easily, even if I left the nail art to dry overnight. The brush was small so I was guessing where I hadn't put it. Finally the 2nd half of the bottle was gloopy despite having only had the product for 6 months.
It was a good price for a branded bottle but could probably pay less for a non branded bottle of similar quality.
Would not buy again.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

When I took to Make Up Alley to see what experiences others had with this top coat, I must say that I was shocked to see that this had such a high rating.
I'll get to the point... At first I was quite impressed with this polish. It dried completely within the hour, meaning I didn't wake up with sheet marks. It was shiny, but not too shiny. And, it didn't leave me with unwanted bubbling. But, after using it a couple of times I begun to see its flaws. This top coat made my nail polish lasts about 3 days (which is okay, but without a top coat my polish can generally last a week without chipping) and then it would crack, not chip, but crack. You could see lines and lines of cracks in the nail polish which is majorly unattractive. That was by far my biggest problem with this top coat.
On top of that, I feel like when I got half way through the bottle the polish all of a sudden became thicker and more of a struggle to apply, meaning I had to throw the rest of the product away.
Not completely impressed with this product, I don't think I will be repurchasing this any time soon, in the meantime I will be trying and testing other top coats.

on 2/1/2014 10:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

This isn't a very shiny or neat top coat. If what you want is something purely functional, this is your top coat. It doesn't really "dry" your nails, it just kinda coats it in a oily layer that protects your nails and prevents things from ruining the coats underneath. I wouldn't feel comfortable going to bed too soon after applying this. The brush sucks because it's too thin and you can't really tell where you've already put the top coat. It doesn't really feel like you're actually applying anything to your nails, so I think I end up putting too much on. I prefer my nails to be super shiny, like gels, so I use seche vite, but this is a good alternative if you don't mind your manicure being lackluster.

***edit: I belive this review is actually for a similar product called liquid quick dry.

on 1/31/2014 11:41:00 PM

Shiny. Takes a couple hours to dry completely. Brush isn't great - OPI brush is much easier to use.

Okay for toe nails, but on fingernails, lasts about a day then chips. Perhaps I am a bit rough on hands.

on 1/22/2014 2:54:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really like this top coat. Dries quickly, gives a nice shine, and if I apply every couple of days, my polish lasts a whole week. This is impressive since I work in the medical field and am constantly washing my hands. I received Seche Vite as a gift and find that I've been reaching for the Revlon Top Coat more often.

on 1/16/2014 6:50:00 PM

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Fine

This top coat has consistently failed me. I find it takes an excessively long time to dry (close to an hour!) and after that still doesn't protect my manicure. It seems to stay tacky for many hours after I apply it no matter how fastidious I am applying it and/or the underlying manicure. I know it's cheap but do yourself a favour as spend your money on a top coat that is worth it.

on 12/28/2013 3:16:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

After reading a lot of the reviews here, it seems to me that a number of reviewers are very confused as to which product they are actually reviewing. Revlon makes a quick drying top coat, that is, a layer of clear varnish that protects the manicure and helps the whole thing dry more quickly, and they also make a product called "Liquid Quick Dry" which is NOT A TOP COAT, but is, rather, a thin, oily liquid that you put on your wet manicure to help it dry faster. The liquid drying agent doesn't do anything to protect the manicure, because it's not a top coat, though you can use it in conjunction with a top coat.

The top coat is Revlon Quick Dry Top Coat, with the number 960 (it's on the label on the top). It is an actual top coat (which I will review in a moment; I just wanted to clear up the confusion with the two products). The quick dry liquid (Revlon Liquid Quick Dry) has the number 990 on the top. They are different products, and while they have similarities (both aid in the drying time of a manicure), they really are not the same (and it's kind of silly that Revlon packaged them almost identically and gave them similar names, but there you go).

If you see any reviews that mention a product that is oily or "very thin" or mentions that it does nothing to protect the manicure or the like, be careful. They may be reviewing the wrong product!

Okay, on to the top coat review. :)

This top coat is your basic clear top coat, standard Revlon bottle and skinny brush (I admit, Revlon brushes are not my favourite). As top coats go, it's somewhat thinner than many, and it does not have an especially high-shine finish, though it is glossy. It's pretty straightforward to apply, with good, even viscosity. It does speed drying time, but not as much as some quick dry top coats, and I suspect that with many coats of polish, this doesn't penetrate as well or as completely as some other quick dry top coats. This does an acceptable job of protecting my manicures, but I rarely wear them more than about four days, so I can't really say much about longevity beyond that (I can say that on a pedicure, which I generally wear until the regrowth forces me to take it off, this top coat is up to the task).

This is a nice, efficient little quick drying top coat. Pretty basic, gets the job done, it's easy to come by, and it's not too expensive. Worth trying, I think, anyway, and if you end up not liking it, you're not out very much.