November 25, 2014 | 1724 users online

Top/Base Coats - Revlon - Quick Dry Top Coat

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2014 2:54:00 AM More reviews by blee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really like this top coat. Dries quickly, gives a nice shine, and if I apply every couple of days, my polish lasts a whole week. This is impressive since I work in the medical field and am constantly washing my hands. I received Seche Vite as a gift and find that I've been reaching for the Revlon Top Coat more often.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/16/2014 6:50:00 PM More reviews by KelsySJ

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

This top coat has consistently failed me. I find it takes an excessively long time to dry (close to an hour!) and after that still doesn't protect my manicure. It seems to stay tacky for many hours after I apply it no matter how fastidious I am applying it and/or the underlying manicure. I know it's cheap but do yourself a favour as spend your money on a top coat that is worth it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2013 3:16:00 AM More reviews by bonniherself

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

After reading a lot of the reviews here, it seems to me that a number of reviewers are very confused as to which product they are actually reviewing. Revlon makes a quick drying top coat, that is, a layer of clear varnish that protects the manicure and helps the whole thing dry more quickly, and they also make a product called "Liquid Quick Dry" which is NOT A TOP COAT, but is, rather, a thin, oily liquid that you put on your wet manicure to help it dry faster. The liquid drying agent doesn't do anything to protect the manicure, because it's not a top coat, though you can use it in conjunction with a top coat.

The top coat is Revlon Quick Dry Top Coat, with the number 960 (it's on the label on the top). It is an actual top coat (which I will review in a moment; I just wanted to clear up the confusion with the two products). The quick dry liquid (Revlon Liquid Quick Dry) has the number 990 on the top. They are different products, and while they have similarities (both aid in the drying time of a manicure), they really are not the same (and it's kind of silly that Revlon packaged them almost identically and gave them similar names, but there you go).

If you see any reviews that mention a product that is oily or "very thin" or mentions that it does nothing to protect the manicure or the like, be careful. They may be reviewing the wrong product!

Okay, on to the top coat review. :)

This top coat is your basic clear top coat, standard Revlon bottle and skinny brush (I admit, Revlon brushes are not my favourite). As top coats go, it's somewhat thinner than many, and it does not have an especially high-shine finish, though it is glossy. It's pretty straightforward to apply, with good, even viscosity. It does speed drying time, but not as much as some quick dry top coats. It also does an okay job of protecting my manicures, but I rarely wear them more than about four days, so I can't really say much about longevity.

This is a nice little quick drying top coat. Pretty basic, nothing to rave about, but it gets the job done, and it's easy to come by, and not too expensive. I don't love it, but I don't hate it, and I do wear it, particularly when I want a thinner top coat (some polishes just look nicer that way, IMHO). Worth trying, I think, anyway, and if you end up not liking it, you're not out very much.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/7/2013 6:40:00 PM More reviews by elizgibb

I tried this out just today so this I'd basically a first impressions, there must be different bottles because in The states I bought this and it came in a blue-ish tinted bottle. And said "revlon liquid quick dry" and is the only top coat they had anywhere I looked. Well I painted my nails using the revlon base coat, and the color "fearless" then followed with this... And it's not terrible at all. Better than some other quick dry top costs, leaves nails looking shiny, probably because its more of an oil than a nail polish... You have to apply a very little amount of this stuff over your polish or it will not work right! If you apply to much if doesn't work. This stuff claims to only take 60 seconds to dry, but it took me more like an hour which is fine because usually my nails take like 4 hours to dry and when doing my nails before bed its a hassle! Also, the smell of this stuff is just terrible, I wouldn't expect it to be good... But it's just so potent you can smell it throughout my house.. Yikes. Overall it's a pretty good product, just don't apply too much!

rated 2 of 5 on 9/3/2013 10:17:00 PM More reviews by musicluvr4ever

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This topcoat isn't horrible but it has two factors I cannot deal with- major bubbling and a tiny brush.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2013 1:25:00 PM More reviews by Sambalina82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I've tried numerous QDTCs, essie GTG, Seche Vite, BL Hardwear, Sally Hansen Insta-Dri. The first two shrinks my manis, BL dulls quickly and SH chips off easily. Enter Revlon. it is not the thickest of tcs and it doesnt self level brilliantly, but it does dry quickly and doesn't shrink my polish. Still searching for my HG TC but this will do in the meantime:)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2013 8:22:00 PM More reviews by idkhelpme

Amazing. Works great, there is nothing wrong with it. Dries very fast, makes manicure last long and gives polish a great shine. Will buy this and only this topcoat from now on.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2013 4:31:00 AM More reviews by tigerlily217

This is my HG top coat and I have been using this for years. I don't know why I never wrote a review earlier. This is cheap and works well. Easy application and goes on thin. It dries fairly quickly and gives it a really nice shiny glossy finish. Definitely worth every penny! Only downfall is about halfway through the bottle it gets really thick and you can't use it anymore. Considering the price of this top coat compared to others, I don't mind purchasing a new one when it gets to that point.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2013 8:56:00 AM More reviews by Nic1980

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I think I have found my HG Topcoat! I bought this at Walmart for around 5 dollars. It isn't too thick, and I had no little bubbles like I always get with Sally Hansen Insta-Dri. I did my nails pretty late last night and put this topcoat on at around 10:30pm and couldn't stay awake past 11:30pm but when I woke up there were no sheet marks!!!! So far, I love this topcoat.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2013 3:44:00 PM More reviews by i8alltheBacon

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

It dries quickly, it's a thin formula that's easy to apply and it gives a mega shiny finish (I keep getting complimented on my nails..this is the only top coat I use). I haven't used many top coats ..just Sally Hansen Mega Shine (bad) and Insta Dri in the red bottle (good, but thick). The reason I didn't give this a 5 is because I don't think this made my manicure last any longer than usual...3 days maybe 4 if I'm lucky. It was $5 something at Walmart (Canada)