December 20, 2014 | 1665 users online

Treatments (Face) - Calamine Lotion

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2013 5:03:00 PM More reviews by Devildog4025

My face started to freak out this summer, including a lot of heat rashes. My derm told me to try some calamine lotion for the rashes, and it helped immensely.
Well like some reviews, I started to read on it effect on acne. So one morning I woke up to a HUGE purple-ish spot and thought "What can it hurt?". The active ingredient is in half my cosmetics anyway.
WOW... this stuff brough that bad boy down 60% by morning. I was blown away. I tried it on smaller blemishes, and like others have said, it sometimes worked, sometimes didn't. Sometimes it brought it to a head that just easily came off with no trace whatsoever... othertimes it did nothing UNTIL it actually hit the surface THEN seemed to bring it down a ton. Either way, I am very pleased with it. I agree with some reviewers that it doesn't prevent acne... I think it will dry up oil (like in the t-zone, for example) but I don't think it prevents much. But it does dramatically reduce a large cystic zit's pain, redness and swelling pretty darn well.
I purchased the Walgreen's brand, the one with the least amount of ingredients for $5.99 plus tax. I bought this in August of 2013, an the expiration date is set for May 2018. So it will last for quite awhile. Always shake it before every use, and I recommend applying it with a fresh q-tip each time. I choose to leave it on each individual spot overnight, and when I'm just home during the day, I applying 2-3 times in 40 minute or more increments. So far I haven't had a problem with drying, but I have heard it can be quite so, so I'd definitely recommend a good moisturizer if your skin tends to get a bit dryed out.
Good luck!

***EDIT***: a month or so later... I do have to add.. that this is touch-and-go... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I was hoping that it was a lasting thing... but it just hasn't been consistent. I HAVE found, though that Oil Of Oregano applied topically has AMAZING effects on large cysts... google it.. it might change your life....

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/17/2013 5:16:00 AM More reviews by 33Lisa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a good product to just have on the bathroom shelf. It works nicely to help cool down irritated skin and heal little cuts or areas of broken skin. Very soothing. I tried using it for acne for awhile with inconsistent results - I suspect it may have worsened pores/blackheads but can't say for certain. I wouldn't recommend it for acne unless the surface of the skin had broken and only the tiniest amount (it seems to help heal these areas quicker).

Overall, a nice calmative lotion. It lasts for ages too. I've still got the same bottle my mother bought for when I had chicken pox as a kid. Not sure about expiry dates!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2013 10:37:00 PM More reviews by Northstar5

I have been recovering for about a month from using coconut oil to wash my face, which was a total disaster and left me full of breakouts. Trying to get rid of the blemishes I have over-dried my skin, then tried other oils that gave me more breakouts, then overly dried again...a crazy cycle. Used a honey mask.. looked like a got a sunburn. Aspirin mask also did not work for me. I am sensitive and breakout prone. Amazingly, after all the SA, BP, witch hazel, argan oil, etc etc etc, and ACV (which made my skin so red and pimply!) I tried calamine lotion and that has helped immensely. My red, angry, blemished skin calmed down within an hour of a thin application. Yes it shows so don't go out right away. Using it at night is the best, I think. I added DS-bought hydrocortisone with aloe (Cortaid) to spot treat the worst blemishes and together they just helped so so much. Cheap items from the DS that most of us have in our pharmacies anyway. Sooo happy since I'm one of those people for whom nothing that others rave about ever works.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/11/2013 3:26:00 PM More reviews by karenvira

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I agree, this product is hard to apply, because its made for insect bites and sunburns, etc, its very runny, id say it has the consistensy of half and half. I read online that this is a good product for acne, it can dry them up. Well i purchased it because i have a few open sores from pimples i picked at on my face, and im planning on getting a glycolic acid chemical peel, and I didn't want to burn an open sore. So last night was the first time i tried it, i applied it all over as an overnight mask, it signififcantly healed up my open wounds, if i apply it 2-3 more times i know my skin will be 100% ready. Although its a little bit overdrying to use every night as a mask, i will be applying this everynight as a mask on just my nose, where my pores are HUGE and get so oily, this product made them almost invisible. It also brought a few of my "undergroud pimples" to a head, which i applied more calamine lotion as a spot treatment. This is a cheap product and has multiple uses and works pretty well.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/11/2013 9:59:00 AM More reviews by allisonshort

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Starting off by saying this is very runny and messy which makes it hard to apply. I do so by using a q-tip. So I give it a 3 for packaging. I have applied it religiously to a cystic pimple on my cheek and it has done absolutely nothing. Since most people use this for a spot treatment, this is the only reason I've used mine so I'm not sure how it would work for a regular white head. Not pleased with my experience but I still give it a 3. It dries to a powdery white so you could use it under makeup if you have seriously oily skin. It's dirt cheap- like $2 I think? For these reasons I would probably repurchase in the future, but with such a big bottle and using a TINY amount at a time I'd say this bottle will last FOREVER.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2013 12:37:00 AM More reviews by che11262

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This works miracles for acne! It completely dries the spots up, and seems to help them heal faster! I've used so many topical creams that never seem to work and make my acne problem worse. It's cheap and effective, I highly recommend trying it!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2013 5:23:00 AM More reviews by Skincaremaven

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my favorite oil-control masque in the summertime! My skin gets out of control oily during warmer weather. If you have a day in where you don't mind slathering your face with pink goo, it's a great masque. DO NOT get the clear kind- it's not the same thing. You want the kind that looks pink like pepto-bismal :) Also, I've found generics to work as well as the regular kind.

Bonus: It's also good for drying out any spots on your face.

I use it about once a week and sometimes as a nightly overnight treatment to help me control my oily but sensitive skin. My oily skin gets even more sensitive in the summer, and slathering a nice layer of this to my freshly cleaned face seems to keep my easily irritated skin nice and calm while it also helps control the extreme oilies. It's been gentle enough for me to leave on overnight, but I often leave it on for just a few hours before rinsing it off. Try leaving it on as a short masque before you try it as an overnight treatment to see if it's compatible with your skin.

TIP: It is really thin in consistency. Be sure to shake the bottle before every use since it separates. I apply it using a clean, damp makeup sponge.

If you have dry skin, then use it as a spot treatment for your acne.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2013 8:34:00 PM More reviews by princesssaras

The best for chicken pox!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/26/2013 10:03:00 PM More reviews by zeusandcoco

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I tried this on my hormonal acne due to the rave reviews but it did absolutely nothing for me other than giving my partner something to laugh at, as it looks ridiculous spread all over your face.
I had an allergic reaction to sashimi I ate overseas and it did soothe the massive hives all over my chin and neck, but I wouldn't recommend going out in public with it anywhere in sight.
For the price it's definitely one of those items worth keeping in your medicine cabinet for emergencies.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2013 3:47:00 PM More reviews by danwally

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So this is a review for Calamine Lotion as an acne treatment. Why did I not think of this sooner!!! My Mom used this way back in the day when I got the chicken pox and it helped so much with the itchiness. I get cystic acne that is very itchy and painful. I am using this as an all over facial mask before I go to bed at night because I am currently having an acne explosion all over my face!! This is really helping me....the itchiness has calmed down and the swelling is gone!! I have also read that people are using this to help reduce acne scarring....I'm not sure if this will work for scars but it would be awesome if it could. I have been using this for a week so that's not enough time to notice improvement on scarring but if anything changes I will update later :)

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No