Calamine Lotion

4.5

Active Ingredients: Calamine (6.971%) (skin protectant), Zinc Oxide (6.971%) (skin protectant) Inactive Ingredients: Bentonite, Calcium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Water (Purified)

on 12/31/2014 11:06:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Edit: I no longer use this. My method below definitely did work for me at the time, so I do have nice things to say about this product. The reason I stopped with this and silica gel (review in profile) is because having to wear an oil absorbing mask overnight started to do a number on me. It was too much work in the morning to wash off. I found better products to replace this............ but the 5 lippie rating stands, because this *did* help me tons when i needed it.

Also Silk Naturals changed their toner so I don't use that anymore. :(
-------------------------------

Background on my skin: rosacea, acne, super oily.

I use this in conjunction with Hubner's silica gel and an AHA toner (Silk Naturals 8% lactic acid is my favorite). There are reviews for each in my profile.

Moving forward, this regime has helped my skin clear up A LOT. So much that I have high hopes I won't need to go on Accutane, as both my doctor and dermatologist have been trying to push me.

My acne is caused by my oil production. It took many years of trial and error to realize this is the main culprit. And although that's great, finding a solution is almost impossible given the fact I produce SO MUCH oil. Accutane is pretty much my best bet...but that's one hell of an intense, potentially dangerous medication. So I went on a search to find products that would absorb my grease overnight without upsetting my severe rosacea. This is what's worked for me.

on 12/29/2014 7:33:00 AM

HG product, I use it on a weekly basis, on the side of baking soda masks, sugar/oil scrubs, this applied as a mask for a few hours while I bop around the house has made huge changes to my skin. I've gotten away from using almost all store bought chem based products in favour of natural home ingredients, just the very basics and Calamine is one of my favourites to deal with clearing up zits (spot treatment) or as a mask to refine pores.

on 11/27/2014 2:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Ok so I feel I have a genuine responsibility to tell people that calamine lotion CURED MY HORMONAL ACNE, which is so severe that I used to need an actual prescription to treat it. No other topical treatment worked -- salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, sulfur, NOTHING. I had to schlep to the dermatologist and get a prescription for Doxycycline, which I would take for a couple days around my period each month. It worked, and it was great. But then I lost my health insurance and could not get my prescription anymore. It was awful. My face flared up into a volcanic eruption of acne around my jawline. I frantically tried everything, and then finally discovered calamine lotion (so economical -- less than $2 at the pharmacy for a huge bottle!). Within three days of twice-daily application to my cystic, sub-dermal zits, all of the acne was GONE. The calamine lotion just sucked all the puss right out of them and healed them COMPLETELY. I had barely any leftover marks (they cleared within a week) and I have been using calamine lotion on my hormonal jawline zits ever since. It never fails me, and I love it. I cannot recommend it highly enough to those of you who suffer hormonal acne, especially those who take tetracycline antibiotics for it. Give it a try! It might save you money on a trip to the doctor and a prescription!

TL;DR: Calamine lotion HAS REPLACED MY DOXYCYCLINE PRESCRIPTION. That's how good it is.

on 8/6/2014 9:00:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Good old fashioned Calamine Lotion (or better yet - the newer Calamine Clear which does not produce that awful pink color) are great for bug bites, skin irritations and the occaisional pustule/zit. Cheap and easy to find. A medicine cabinet staple.

on 7/12/2014 9:05:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

This is my new go to for acne flare ups...I saw a review recently on Calamine lotion for acne and I thought 'but of course!' It is designed to dry up oozing painful skin!!! I did some research and found http://www.acne.org/calamine-lotion-reviews-307/ and I was amazed...tried it. Left it on for 45 minutes then wiped it off THEN did a calming honey and yogurt mask for about 45 min., rinsed that off and put on my normal moisturizer and the next morning. BAM! My skin looked gorgeous and my break out was more than 1/2 way calmed down. Did the same again and it's gone...purple marks and all. It was amazing! Guys you must try it. Please...it is cheap, they sell it at the dollar store and it works.

on 7/10/2014 4:52:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

OMG!! I had pretty good skin but then suddenly for an unknown reason, it just went crazy.
I had so many little bumps and pimples forming all over my face.
Especially, all over my forehead and chin area. I thought it would go away but it remained and got worse as the time passed.
A friend of mine had just mentioned calamine lotion so I thought why not give it a try.
My bumps were just SOO red so at this point I felt like a I had nothing to lose.
I am SO glad I did because it is the best product I have used.
I am a makeup and skincare product collector and work for a top luxury brand of skincare but wow nothing helped my skin clear up so well like this calamine lotion.
The best part is, it is $3 for a bottle!! I spent $100s on products, who knew a $3 bottle would do the job.
Now my skin is looking so clear and getting better each day.
I just apply at night after washing my face and reapply around 3 times throughout the night until I go to bed.
If you are battling with bad blemishes, give it a try because I am glad I did.

on 2/21/2014 8:34:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

I decided to try this recently when my face reacted to a product and broke out into what seemed like millions of tiny bumps, it was like a rash/bump blanket over my face and some of my neck. Devastating.

As the rash was itchy and raised I wanted something to calm it down and help dry it out, it was then that I remembered how people with chicken pox used this to soothe and dry their pox spots.

After using this everyday for about 5 days, my rash went away. Now, every time I react to something I run for this.

Its quite liquid, which is great because i can use a cotton pad to wipe a thin layer over my face. Your skin will get a white cast, so make sure you do this when you aren't going anywhere and can relax with it on like a face mask.

Use every night, and during the day if you can. Its amazing!

CAUTION - I did find that it dried my face skin out a lot, so I made sure to use my Emulsifying Ointment BP to wash my face followed by a good moisturiser.

on 12/26/2013 7:28:00 PM

I honestly have never ever heard of using calamine lotion(I actually use Caladryl...I find regular calamine lotion is far too runny and it's just a mess to use) on the face. I initially bought this for my sister, who got back from camp and had a bad case of itching from poison ivy. She used it for a couple of days, and then once it did its job it sat in our medicine cabinet. Many months later, my face broke out terribly, and BP wasn't cutting it for me. I also ran out of my BP cream, and decided to poke around the house to see what I could use for my face, such as any DIY masks to soothe the skin, etc. There were a few pus-filled pimples that I could pop (sorry for the TMI), but I needed something to dry them out completely and also soothe the redness and irritation. I stumbled upon this calamine lotion, and didn't hesitate to put it on the skin, since I was a bit desperate. At first, the scent of it was strangely soothing. I dotted this over any blemish, and overnight miraculously it dried them up and helped them heal faster. I find that it's not as irritating as BP---it does take longer to kill some pimples than BP, but I now prefer it over BP and keep a bottle near my sink. Whenever I feel a pimple coming or just have a pimple in general, this is what I use. I also use it sometimes on areas with clogged pores, and it works pretty well. It is extremely drying, so I don't recommend one to use this all over the face like a mask, but for spot treatment I love this! One bottle lasts a very very long time, as you only need a little bit, and it's fairly inexpensive. If you find any existing acne treatments to be a bit harsh on your skin, I highly recommend calamine lotion!

on 12/6/2013 3:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I like many have used this since childhood for bug bites/general itching due to irritation. Many reviewers mention the tell tale pink chalkiness so I just wanted to add there is now a clear version. I've seen several pharmacies carry the generic "clear calamine," its in a white bottle so don't look for the pink:) in my experience and for my family it works just as well but you can go out with it on if that's a concern.

on 11/3/2013 1:27:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Great for treating rashes and irritation all over the body. I have even heard of people using this on their face for treating acne breakouts. Feels cooling on the skin and works instantly. Only drawback is the way it looks on the skin.

Popular Treatments (Face)