Clarisonic Mia

4.2

Plastic

After months and months of researching this product, I decided to finally pony up the $189 and buy it as a Christmas gift to myself. I could barely contain my excitement, ready to have the glowing, perfect skin so many people raved about.

Most of the reviews that I had watched and read warned me of the 'skin purging' phase, in which my skin would be the worst it'd ever i, only to reveal beautiful skin within a week or two.

About 5 days into using the Clarisonic, I started seeing breakouts, the first signs of skin purging, or so I thought. Over the next days and weeks, my skin was the most horrible it'd ever been. I told myself to 'keep my eyes on the prize' and kept using it.

Three months later, at the end of March, I stopped using the Clarisonic, because my skin never got better. I started using it twice a day, to once a day, to once every other day. I started with Simple's Moisturizing Wash, then switched to Murad's Clarifying Cleanser for acne, then went to Purity by Philosophy, and ended up using Cetaphil, the gentlest of them all. Nothing worked. My skin simply hated the Clarisonic.

My heart was broken. I had shelled out over $200 (with tax) for the Clarisonic, and I wanted to love it so bad. I'm so glad to hear it works so well for others and I know it's an amazing product, but if you have sensitive skin, be warned.

on 2/7/2015 10:37:00 PM

I bought this on a whim 5 months ago and I'm never going back to just washing my face with my hands. It makes my skin feel squeaky clean and more smooth, and if I don't use it, it my skin just doesn't feel the same. It's essential in my skin care routine and I recommend it to anyone. Even though it is expensive, it's forth every penny

on 2/4/2015 6:08:00 PM

I seen this and thought wow! I must have it it must remove makeup so well. I ordered it. It's a cute product, looks like it could work. But I used it for a little over nine months and no difference at all, except around the 8th and a half month I seen broken capillaries, I didn't think the clarasonic was causing this but A few broken capillaries later I realized this is what caused it. Charging it is a pain, dies frequently, and the brushes need to be replaced every few weeks because it does collect bacteria and get all nasty, despite washing it. Not worth 200$, 150$, 99$. I used better drugstore brushes like this which worked better.

on 1/21/2015 12:10:00 AM

I am completely obsessed with my Mia. In my opinion, you do not need to buy the more expensive machines, this one has one speed and it does the trick! I highly recommend this for anyone with skin, it just works! Your face will feel smoother, makeup will look better, products will absorb better into your skin and you will feel like your are pampering yourself everyday! My only con would be that the brush heads are stupidly expensive. Also, don't bother with trying to buy knockoff brush heads online, they wont work. (I tried!)

on 1/4/2015 8:51:00 PM

I've been using my mia 2 for at least 6 months now and after some trial and error have come to love it. When I first started using it, I did it twice a day every day, which was a big mistake. There was a purging period which is understandable, but I think my overuse of the device made it worse and last longer. I had a ton of breakouts on my chin which has never been an area of concern for me, and it seemed like I was never blemish-free. Now, I only use it when I'm taking off makeup or just finished a workout, so around 2/3 times a week. My skin is the clearest it has been in years, and I rarely get breakouts. Exfoliation is key to a clear and glowing complexion, and the Clarisonic gives you that without damaging the skin. I highly recommend this, but you have to be willing to give it time and experiment with it. And remember to not overdo it!

on 1/1/2015 7:00:00 PM

Before I started to use the Clarisonic, my face wasn't accepting my skin care products well. The clarisonic exfoliates your skin and deep cleans so that your face can soak up whatever you apply to it after. Now when I apply my toner & moisterizer afterwards, my skin feels smoother than a baby's bottom. Definitely recommend this. YOU SHOULD ONLY USE THIS EVERY NIGHT due to the fact that it might be a bit a bit to harsh of you use it twice a day. But during the summer time I use it twice just because I tend to get more oily.

on 1/1/2015 3:05:00 PM

The Mia works well to deep clean your face once or twice a week (any more would have been way too harsh on my skin), but I could never recommend this product due to its short lifespan and the terrible customer service I received from Clarisonic.

I took excellent care of my Mia, but shortly after my warranty expired, it died. It wouldn't hold a charge and kept pulsing while on the charger. I tried changing outlets, charging an additional 48 hours, and even borrowed a friends charger to see if that was the problem... nothing worked.

When I contacted customer service, all they did was offer a 25% off coupon if I wanted to buy a new one. A Customer Service Supervisor did say that if I had my receipt, he may be able to extend the warranty. The only problem was that my Grandmother had given me this as a gift, and then was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma a few months later, then past away a few months after that. So, obviously, I did not have the receipt. My Clarisonic receipt was the last thing I was thinking about during that time, honestly.

I don't have much respect for companies that sell products they don't stand behind. Especially after the CSR told me that my Mia might have been malfunctioning because it "may have got a little water in it." Really? The Clarisonic is supposed to be used with water!

Anyway, I saw online where someone had taken one apart, and it only uses two AA rechargeable batteries (along with a few other cheapo parts). Then they seal it up so you wont be able to repair on your own, and are forced to purchase a new one. Clarisonic says the sealing is to make it waterproof, but I work with engineers who say there are other (way more practical and economical) ways to waterproof a battery powered product.

I feel sad that I'll no longer have this once loved device, but I would never purchase again due to the low quality and poor customer service.

Value Breakdown:
$150 for the Mia
$27 x4 for replacement brush heads
Frequency of use before product died: once weekly for 52 weeks

The Mia ended up costing $4.96 per use. Extremely poor value if you ask me.

on 12/30/2014 4:51:00 PM

I have been using the clarisonic for about three years now. The clarisonic will do the following things for you: clear up acne, get rid of acne scars, minimize pores, make your skin less oily, make your skin more radiant looking, make your skin healthy and healthy looking, soften your skin, allow you to wear little to no foundation, exfoliate your skin with each use. Completely worth the money. Your skin will look better in one day's time, and be clear in a few weeks time, with no acne scars in a month's time. With regular use, you will have movie star skin. It is absolutely the best investment for your skin. Also, it makes any cleanser or wash work to its full potential. Any cream or treatment you apply after using the clarisonic will work better than had you not use the clarisonic. An amazing invention. A must for people who want good skin.

on 12/28/2014 12:03:00 PM

I have extremly sensitive, acne-prone skin. This gets all the dead skin cells off so any products you apply after (moisturizer, medicated cream) will sink in and ACTUALLY WORK! It unclogs your pores and clears up your skin. I love it, just make sure to clean the brush head well after each use.

on 12/19/2014 12:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I gave this just under a month to see some results in unclogging my pores and maybe helping my acne, but it was a flop. :( I caved to ordering this after seeing one of their many QVC specials where the paid peer pressuring host definitively stated that anyone who uses this has better skin than those who do not. My fault, I know, but it seemed a compelling suggestion and I had been curious about trying it in the past. Mistake to go for it! I have very acne-prone skin, sensitive and likely to break out from most products and changes in my routine. I tried to use this properly as instructed, and tried not to overdo it with any harsh pressure, avoiding areas already affected with acne and only used it once a day or every other day. Initially my skin felt clean and smooth, but rapidly developed far more blackheads than I've ever had before and began to break out very badly on my entire face and it looked terrible. Painful, severe pimples that have long waiting time to treat and are very difficult to cover up. It was just too abrasive and I think just spread bacteria around, even though I tried to remove my makeup well beforehand. So the two reasons I hoped for this to fix were made much worse. Very clogged and annoyed skin and double the acne. Since I stopped using it my skin is returning to a normal-for-me state. I'm lucky it has bounced back so quickly but maybe that is telling of just how really destructive the Clarisonic was to my type of problematic skin. Your hands are good enough, maybe a very soft, gentle washcloth if you need something extra to cleanse your skin. I find I had no need to spend $100 on something else when the free option is safer and more effective. I look forward to getting that money back.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools