Shu Uemura Brow Pencil

4.6

hydrogenated castor oil, stearic acid, cera microcristallina/microcrystalline wax, candelilla cera/candelilla wax, carnauba/carnauba wax, rhus succedanea/rhus succedanea fruit wax, hydrogenated coconut oil, hydrogenated palm kernal oil, [ /-may contain: mica, CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499/iron oxides, CI 77891/titanium dioxide]

on 1/26/2013 8:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I really, really wanted to love this pencil. Like everyone's already said, the application is easy, it stays in place, it's hard to overdo it, and it lasts forever. All good points that I agree with. I was really hoping this would take away the need for me to ever buy another brow product. The reason for the less than perfect score? The pencil oxidized on my skin.

The Sephora in my area has it available in Seal Brown and Stone Grey. The first time I tried seal brown it looked reddish on me, so I tried the stone grey instead, expecting an ashy taupe colour - but it turned completely red on me! It was actually very strange, even the Sephora rep said he's never seen this happen before - I believe his exact word choice was "that's trippy". We both watched in fascinated horror as a swatch of stone grey - perfectly ashy on his hand - quickly turned red on mine!

Something about the formulation just didn't work with my body chemistry, and no matter what shade it was supposed to be, it always turned red on my skin. I don't think it's the pencil's faultů it wouldn't be the first thing that's oxidized on my skin. I just wanted to put this out there that it does happen, and let people know that especially for those of you with oily skin, it's best to try this first before buying. And if you find it looks to reddish for you, it might be oxidizing, and in that case changing shades won't necessarily help. If you are unfortunate like me, I would suggest to try Anastasia's brow pencils instead, I didn't have oxidization issues with their Medium Ash shade.

on 1/29/2012 7:33:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Absolute HG brow material.
I started off with this brow pencil in Stone Grey but later on bought Sound Black when I died my hair black. The SA recommended Grey because my hair was blondish-brown at the time. To be honest, I was afraid of going for black because I'm terrified of the drawn on/stamped on/drag queen brow look. I prefer my MU to look very natural. I really don't want sharp, crisp and obvious definition and that's why I was too scared of buying the black one. However, there was nothing to be scared about. Both Stone Grey and Sound Black provide extremely natural brows. I have sparse brows, especially towards the tail end. I find that this gives just the right amount of colour and it's impossible to over do this. It takes quite a few strokes of the pencil to build up colour so you can get the desired intensity level you want without suddenly ruining your brows by pressing too hard or whatever. My brows look SOOO natural yet fuller and I'm able to frame my face with this pencil. I manage to look 10x better with this product. I can now also fulfil my dreams of black hair, dark brows and red lips :D I was too afraid to fill in my brows before I got this pencil (even though I knew I desperately needed to) because I was just soooo afraid of them looking too out of place and obvious. This makes it a breeze, it's fool proof, even for brow novices like me.
If you have a freshly cleansed face then this might take a little while to show up on your brows because the pencil works by reacting with the oils on the hair for colour pay off - according to the SA. I find it shows up a lot if you apply moisturiser on and around your brows. So if you've just washed your face, this may not show up on you for a while. It is not waxy so if you have long eyebrow hairs, either trim them or use clear mascara to keep them in place.
I find the Japanese sharpening interesting. It is optional and I got it done at the Shu counter when I first bought the pencil in Stone Grey. It is shaped like a dagger - they cut off the point of the pencil and then shave off the sides so the pencil has flat sides and looks like a knife. You can go and get this re-done when needed at the Shu counter. When I purchased Sound Black, I asked for a pencil with standard sharpening. However, I think I prefer Japanese sharpening. It does waste product but to be honest with the length of the pencil, you can afford a little wastage. I find the Japanese sharpening more convenient when it comes to doing my brows. I can tell that this is going to last me an extremely long time. I have used my new black one about 5 times and the point is still very sharp. I am considering snapping a bit off the pencil to carry it around with me for touch ups. I can afford to do that because the pencil is very long.
If you are looking for sharp, ultra defined brows, then this is not for you.

on 12/30/2011 1:15:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My last Shu brow pencil lasted me for four years before I accidentally lost it. I've tried other brands but this one gives the most natural brows. HG status!

on 12/22/2011 11:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Read the comments and went out to buy the pencil even though all the time I was thinking this is going to be really inconvenient, having to come back to the shop to get it sharpened and I wasn't sure about the shape of the tip of the pencil and that it didn't have a bristle brush at the other end like my old YSL pencil. But, i just tried it and OMG I'm in love with it. The colour acts as a filler and you can go over your brows as many times as you want to get the perfect shade without suddenly making it too dark! And the shape of the tip actually makes it easier to use!! I'm awful at doing my brows and it takes too long and I often have to redo it- but I manged to do this in half the time with its user friendly tip and it's pretty much idiot proof for people like me- my eyebrows look natural ^^ but full! Although the only thing I don't like is that it comes with a cheap plastic cap that seems too fragile in my industrial sized make up bag. I'm hoping it won't crack in there. But otherwise, definitely worth buying and the effort of trekking to the stores to get it sharpened!!!

AMAZING! i just got this the other day, but it is already my HG brow pencil.
Previously, i was using anastasia's brow wiz in medium ash, Shiseido's brow pencil in natural black, and clinique's superfine in medium ash (i think)... and i liked them all.... but sometimes the brown would like a little off. Still looks good, but, then i found shiseido's pencil in natural black, and i loved the color of that for my brows. the only thing was that sometimes it could look a little dark or harsher than i would like especially for day time...
then i decided to try this one, and it is really amazing. it gives me such a soft natural brow... i love it!! at first i was a bit skeptical, because it didn't show up when swatched on my hand... and since i have very sparse brows, i was afraid it wouldn't show up on the sparse areas... but it does amazingly.

love this. expensive, but definitely worth the money!

on 11/28/2011 1:32:00 PM

This pencil is HG status for sure! I'm Asian, black hair, black brows, NC30. I've tried so many brow products and none hold a candle to this. I have this in Stone Grey and it's perfect for me. It's a charcoal grey color. Fills in and defines your brows but doesn't look like you have anything on. I probably could have gotten away w/the Seal Brown but the SG looks so natural. My brows but better! I ordered on-line at the Shu site and it came w/the standard pencil tip. I have heard that the sword shape is better but there is no where to get it cut into that shape and I don't dare attempt it myself. The pencil is expensive, but its' much longer length makes me believe it will last a very long time.

on 11/25/2011 12:50:00 AM

A M A Z I N G !!!!!!!!!!!! A miracle just happened to my eyebrows!!!!:-)

on 2/24/2011 9:59:00 PM

I'm NW20 and bought this in Japan, where I think there are perhaps more color options than are available in the States. I first bought walnut brown, no 7, but it was much too light for my Asian color -- I have undyed brown-black hair and dark eyebrows. I now have Stone Gray and it is perfect. I only add my BUY THIS NOW to the chorus of other reviews because this pencil is indeed so perfect (although the Suqqu eyebrow marker does intrigue me). My brows are darker at the center and the hairs are much more sparse from the middle to the end, so this pencil is perfect for evening out my brows. I tend to stroke it on in little strokes, starting at the arch, and blend it slightly with my finger (too lazy to use a brush, and besides, I have straight Asian eyebrow hairs that don't need to/can't be redirected). It is the best eyebrow pencil, hard to overdo and so so natural -- I've sharpened it once I used up the nice little shaved shape by the Shu Uemura salesperson, and it still applies perfectly. Still love after 3 years....

on 2/17/2011 9:30:00 PM

After reading all the positive reviews on MUA I had to try it out for myself.....
Wonderful product!

I'm oriental with black/dark brown hair and black brows; sparse at the ends.....
I tried Seal Brown and found the brown OK, cuz the brown is still visibly different from the colour of my brows if I want to be picky about it. I was looking for a better match that everyone is claiming to find and I found it using the stone gray pencil;

Ya, it's weird you won't see colour much trying this out on your hands, but it does apply once on the brows. Short gentle strokes, don't apply too much pressure or draw ur brows in really quick....This pencil is very 'dry' so it allows for the slow build up of colour, and lets u have more control. Any product including this one can give awful or unnatural results if you overdo any kind of application.
It's expensive, 30 bucks canadian, but if it's good it's worth it.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This is the only eyebrow pencil that has worked with my changing skintone and haircolor. Mind you, my color ranges from NC25-35 depending on how tan I get and my haircolor has gone from black to brown with mahogany hghtlights. This is absolutely perfect. It draws on a very natural looking brow. Great for everyday but I suggest layering on a dark brown eyeshadow ower this for a more defined night time look, btu otherwise this is the most natural, long-wearing eyebrow pencil ever especially for Asians. My only complaint would be that it only comes in one size. I wish they made a shorter travel size one!

Popular Brows Products