Bare Escentuals Matte Foundation spf 15

3.4

ACTIVE Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 15% and Zinc Oxide 5% INACTIVE ingredients: Lauroyl Lysine, Silica, Calcium Silicate, Soil Minerals. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I've tried loving this and I just can't. I have a ton of acne scarring (currently on retin-a) and no matter how many times I try to build up the coverage it doesn't cover or conceal ANYTHING. Seems like all it does is even out my skin tone, but it leaves my scars out in the open.

on 2/8/2015 11:14:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Used this several times and broke out bad with huge bumps.

on 2/3/2015 9:01:00 PM

For the longest time I was using Revlon's Color Stay Liquid Foundation and I was in love- really, I was. But after going through a fairly bad breakout (for me this means some redness and a couple of small pimples on my t-zone) I began becoming a little less impressed with the foundation I had considered my HG. Fast forward though three days of research later and I stumbled across a 20% off purchase coupon from my local Ulta and off to the store I zoomed. The sales rep at Ulta was incredibly helpful and after questioning me about my skin tone agreed with my idea that I should try the Matte version of the BE foundation. Within minutes we were attempting to match a shade to my skin and she was explaining the whole swirl, tap, buff deal that BE is so associated with. The moment she touched the brush to my cheek I was in LOVE and I have been since purchasing it.This foundation is totally weightless, no matter how many layers you do. I have pretty oily skin and use this in the morning after I swipe on a non-pore blocking moisturizer in the areas of my face that need it (namely my chin) and do a light coating of a oil-minimizing toner. I personally do two even layers over my concealer and then go back over with my EcoTools brush and lightly pat more of the product into the areas where I need it. I have certainly found that I need very little to cover my entire face both times and have a feeling that this one purchase will last me a VERY long time. I have found that this foundation can slide a little bit in my t-zone area throughout the day, but if you gently pat it down every couple of hours with a oil blotter, it will stay picture perfect. I personally find that it has a light-medium coverage depending on how you use it and I cannot use it without a concealer, but that doesn't bother me a bit. I will definitely be looking more into BE products and will certainly buy this when it runs out.

on 1/28/2015 9:41:00 AM

I have used bare minerals off an on for years so I was excited when they came out with a matte formula, however, it doesn't do so well for me. I'm 32 y/o, pale, with hyper pigmentation, acne marks, and a few active pimples from time to time, this didn't cover at all! And the more you use to get "build-able" coverage, the worse it looks. =-( Although it didn't break me out nearly as bad as the original I can't justify buying it anymore due to the pore coverage, settling into every pore on my face, and causing major dry out. And I gave it a fair try buying it three times. Even with a primer it didn't work, it actually looked worse and dried me out. The original has much better coverage but is still a flop for me as well due to causing break outs, settling horribly into fine lines and pores, and drying me out as well. Sadly bare minerals powder foundations just aren't for my aging/acne prone skin anymore. Maybe I'll give their new gel foundation a try though.

on 1/27/2015 5:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This is my favorite foundation. Great coverage for a powder, never breaks me out or makes me have an allergic reaction and it's easy to apply and difficult to get enough of it on to look cake-y. 5 lippies overall because the ingredients are excellent as the coverage.
Price: $25 with my ulta coupon. Fair price. One full size lasts forever. I would be happier at ~$20 though.
Packaging: Standard, lid has a little crease all the way around that the powder gets into, so it gets 2 lippies.

I will be buying this again (in matte medium beige and my summer color, the golden tan in original- because matte in the summer in phoenix is a myth) and I recommend it to all my friends who are hardcore liquid fans.

on 1/2/2015 10:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

This is my absolute most favorite make-up product EVER! I've used this mineral foundation for many, many years now and I will probably use this product for the rest of my life. It's so lightweight, long wearing and buildable coverage. I love that there is such a wide range of shades and also accounts for your undertones so you can easily find one that will match your skin. I should be a Medium Biege, but because it does oxidize, I have to go a shade lighter, otherwise I look like I just came back from a nice vacation in the sun. I use this almost every day and it lasts me all year! I'm surprised I don't have to buy this more often.

I have acne-prone skin and this doesn't break me out not does it dry out my skin or around my acne. I wouldn't say this gives a "flawless coverage" as it states, but it does reduce the redness. When I didn't have acne and just some acne scarring, it gave me even skin-tone and a natural-no-make-up look. But right now, I am battling acne, so if I wanted full coverage I need to use a concealer over my blemishes and then apply the bareMinerals. For application, I use either the bareMinerals Full Flawless Face Brush or the flat e.l.f Studio powder brush, and then I build the product over my acne with a BeautyBlender. I highly recommend any one who likes the no-make look and easy application.

I have been using this matte foundation for years and am always very happy. The formula is definitely not as good as when they first came out, but I feel overall this is a great staple to have in your makeup kit. This powder foundation works better as a setting powder or light coverage if you are looking for something to polish yourself up quick and easy. I would not recommend for heavy coverage, and the matte formula is definitely better suited to oily/combo skin. For the amount vs. price, I feel like it's worth it because I mostly use it to set my liquid foundation, which it does very nicely, so I use it sparingly. I also have never had a problem with the formula breaking me out.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I wore the original version for several weeks but exchanged it for this because I couldn't handle the shimmer (it highlighted my large pores and got greasy after about 45 min).

The original version does have a nice "depth" to it, however, which I only appreciated once I bought the matte which in my opinion is flat and lifeless. I found it washed out any natural radiance I had in my skin.

Unlike with the original, I used tons more product to create just a sheer layer and therefore ended up looking cakey no matter what. In terms of oil control it does not compare to matte liquid foundations I've tried. It outlasts the original formula but not much. Some matte foundations lend a dewey look to the skin as you approach blotting time so you still look okay. I felt with this foundation I already looked ashy and flat so once oil pushed through, my face looked greasy and sickly. It exaggerated wrinkles and fine lines that are hardly visible on my freshly washed face.

So for the pros:

- I like that they have a wide range of shades and think most people can find one that works for them. Tip: if you're cool-yellow toned olive like me (I'm NC20 and wore Light), you might be able to pull off the warm shades. If you try a shade and it's looking a little peachy, go a shade lighter and it could work. I noticed though, that very pale people may struggle; Light was a tad too dark for me and it's only one up from the palest shade.

- I think it works very well for spot concealing, even under eye, when applied with a small concealer brush.

I should include that I have oily skin with very large pores so maybe it's just not right for me at all. I feel like people with a very even surfaced skin and only redness and slight discoloration might enjoy the flat powdery-ness as a clean, finished look. I like the concept of BareEscentuals and how they style, advertise and organize their products in general.. but sadly it's not the brand for me.

Good luck to anyone trying it! Hope it works for you!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I got a sample of this stuff awhile back. I used it up thought I didnt like it then rediscoved it as a setting powder to a bb cream I'm using. I fell in love I don't know why I thought I didnt like this stuff because it's amazing. As a setting powder over bb cream I get a full coverage look that can quickly become cakey if I'm not careful. I purchased the full size and us it as a standalone foundation over concealer and it's perfect. It's so weird because it looks like nothing like just my skin but not ... Because obviously my skin looks better with it on. I'm really happy with it.

on 10/28/2014 7:56:00 PM

I have been using this product for months now. I have an oily t-zone and drier cheeks and am prone to break outs on my cheeks and around my mouth.
I purchased this foundation in replacement of my more expensive MAC Studio Fix Powder hoping it would give me the same coverage but in a more gentle mineral formula and at a cheaper price.
The coverage of this is nothing compared to the MAC but its not too bad. With my MAC once applied I never had to further conceal, but with this one I still have spots come through. Which is not a big deal I just get a smaller denser brush and buff over those spots, but again the MAC was a one sweep and covered type deal.
I don't mind the 'loose' powder consistency and the design of the packaging is very helpful so you aren't getting powder everywhere.
I did find that in my t-zone where I get oily, when the oil started I could feel the powder on my face which was a little uncomfortable, and that the oil coming through was a little more obvious compared to when using other mineral powder foundations.

I don't mind blotting my face during the day so that part of this product was not a real huge issue for me. I think its a beautiful foundation which is why I gave it this rating, the only reason I would not buy again was because I made a purchase looking for COVERAGE and this didn't quite live up to it for me regardless of how I applied it.