August 29, 2014 | 998 users online

Treatments (Face) - manuka honey

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2013 12:35:00 AM More reviews by samuellewis

I will never ever ever not use this stuff. In summer when i persisted with this twice daily my acne scars, that have plagued me for years diminished. However i decided to get a clarisonic mia which sent my skin into a frenzy at first, but now it's okay and ive persisted with that ever since and neglected this :\ bad decision short term but i think long term it will be for the best. Atm i'm going to try and balance the two but here's how i got maximum results.

I steam my face open and leave this on for around an hour then steam it again with it on before removing it to get it right into my skin! So it restores and repairs with maxiumum effect and i do this morning and night. Then straight after whilst my pores are open apply a hydrating toner and repairing serum such as advanced night repair by estee lauder, and boom, my skin was really clear for months.

Then i got clarisonic went through the purging phase and now i use that once every 3 days as of recently, as opposed to everyday, and i'm going to repurchase this and use this every day i dont use clarisonic and try and acheive that skin i managed to acheive last year when i was using this religiously. Really good product so glad i came across it. I used 15 + but will go for 24 + next time :-) and i used the pure gold from holland and barret.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/29/2013 3:43:00 PM More reviews by agnareqc

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm reviewing medical grade UMF 12+ manuka honey by Activon. I paid 15 PLN (roughly 5 USD) for a 25 g tube.

First of all, it is superb on cracked, infected lips. Not only it moisturizes, but also has a strong anti-inflammatory action. I used to struggle with cracked lip corners throughout the winter, but all I need to do is to apply manuka honey several times a day on the cracks and as a leave-in mask on entire lips before bedtime, and they fully heal within a day or two.

Secondly, I use it on spots, burns and all kinds of wounds - they heal faster and cleaner with less redness both from inflammation and scarring.

I find it is very reasonably priced considering how potent it is and comparing to cosmetic products. A must have!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/19/2013 8:39:00 PM More reviews by stupidstarfish

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I went out to buy manuka honey to use as a face mask after seeing the good reviews. However, it didn't seem to do much for my skin. It does smell and taste nice but it hasn't really made a difference to my skin. I was hoping it would tighten up my pores and soften my skin. I bought the Comvita brand with UMF 5, so maybe that's why it's not working. Gonna purchase one with a higher UMF and see what happens.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2013 8:10:00 AM More reviews by missroro

First impressions of manuka honey: nothing special. But yes, I gave it 5 stars. Let me explain...

The first time I used manuka honey, I really really wanted to like it. I slathered it on my face that was breaking out and had high hopes, especially after reading review after review raving about it. I left it on for about 30 minutes then stepped into my shower and washed it off. Looked in the mirror, no difference. I thought maybe it will look great tomorrow morning! So I went to bed and woke up and still..nothing. I was quite disappointed because it didn't really do anything for my skin (no reduced redness, increased softness/hydration, nothing). This didn't mean that manuka honey was bad, I just thought that I probably needed something else that would help.

Fast forward to today, MANUKA HONEY IS AMAZING FOR BURNS. Okay, this is going to sound very silly of me. And well, I really was pretty silly. My chin has been breaking out recently so when that happens, I usually grab my aztec clay and mix it with acv to make a mask. Before I did so though, I read that someone had tried putting tea tree oil in it and had great results. So that's what I decided to try. Now when they meant putting in tea tree oil, they would most probably assume everyone would know that a drop or 2 would be enough. I knew that. But when I accidentally poured a little bit too much in it, I decided "what's the harm?" and applied the mask anyway. Probably the worst thing I could do to my face. I was left with a rather big burn on my chin with no one to blame but myself.

Obviously with a big burn mark on my face I would want to try heal it as soon as possible. I remembered reading an article somewhere that manuka honey was also great for burns and decided that there was nothing I could lose even if it didn't work. So I cleansed my face then dabbed on a drop of manuka honey on my burn and left it. Throughout the day, my burn started to itch a little which I knew that it meant it was healing. Hooray! After about 7 hours, I decided it was time to remove the honey. Before I did so, I looked into my magnifying mirror to see if there was any difference. I realised that my burn had started to flake! Gently, I pulled on the "flakies" and when I was done, the unsightly brown mark on my face was gone and underneath was fresh new skin! I was shocked but also so happy!

If you think about it, if manuka honey can clear my burn within a day, why didn't it help my acne at all? I think that for my skin, manuka honey needs to be left on much longer than just 30 minutes in order for it to have any effect. Of course, I am also aware that everyone's skin is different and not one product will work for everyone. So if you are like me, having experienced little to no difference when applying manuka honey onto troubled skin, maybe try leaving it on (much) longer. Perhaps our skin just needs more time for a product to penetrate :)

12 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2012 2:53:00 PM More reviews by suliettejucks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

After trying product after product to help with my acne-prone skin, I decided to give manuka honey a try.

I purchased a brand called "Manuka Health MGO 250+" from Whole foods for $24.99. I blend the manuka honey with lemon juice, witch hazel, and cinnamon and dab the concoction over the problem spots to leave overnight. It is a mess, but it has helped reduce the inflammation and redness of my pimples much faster than any other product I've used.

I also have blackheads and the manuka honey helps them surface. I tend to pick and pop my pimples which leaves to unattractive scarring, but since I've been using manuka honey, I don't feel the urge to pick and pop them. Instead, I let the pimples take their course. The manuka definitely help the whitehead form and my pimples have gone away on their own.

At this exact moment, I have my concoction on my face but I am using "Manuka Health MGO 400+" on my face that I received as a gift. It was purchased at Vitamin Shoppe for $29.99.

If you are searching for a product that would help your acne/pimples, I would definitely recommend manuka honey. Be sure to do your research before purchasing because not all manuka honeys are created equal.

Pros:
- Reduces inflammation and redness
- Helps fade scars
- Heals new scars relatively quickly
- Jar of honey lasts for a long time

Cons:
- Cost
- Can be hard to find (try local health food stores, Whole Foods, Vitamin Shoppe)
- Sticky and messy

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/24/2012 2:35:00 AM More reviews by stbottre

Warning to people with sensitive skin! I washed my face lightly with this and it immediately gave me a rash and consequent hives. Apart from the raging rash and hives my skin did feel slightly softer. Due to the many recommendations for this product, i wouldnt discourage people without sensitive skin to try it and for those who do, do a patch test, so apply to a tiny bit of skin before you use it all over your face, i learnt the hard way lol.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2012 10:47:00 AM More reviews by glamstep

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Just started using this 24 hrs ago & already in love! Saw Farah Dhukai's video on yt about how to get glowing skin with this DIY daily mask. My deviation to her recipe:

--Manuka honey: 1 tbsp
--Pomegranate seeds blended/juice: 1 tsp

I bough my Manuka from Whole Foods, the 18 oz of the Wedderspoon Raw Organic Active 16+ brand for $40 :( There were other brands of Manuka available, but the SA said this was the most 'bioactive' and pure, others listed manuka in some percentage mixed with another honey type, unlike this one which is 100%. Also, WF has an excellent return policy so I figured I might as well shell out the money & if its a fail after a few tries, I can always return it. This honey has a thick opaque consistency & a strong vicks vapor like smell. It wasn't too bothersome for me but I probably couldn't ingest it. I found it to be not as sticky as the traditional honey and much easier to spread on the face as its creamier. I skimmed the 200++ reviews on Amazon to get a good idea of the product & its properties.

I also didn't go through the trouble of peeling, removing & blending seeds of a real pomegranate, just bought the POM pomegranate (85%) & blueberry (15%) juice, couldn't find 100% but hey blueberries are a powerful antioxidant too & it still had no other preservatives. Anyways I mixed the proportions together & poured it in a plastic jar I picked up from the dollar store & refrigerated. I used the mask for 30 mins last night & again this am and WOW what a difference. My skin which is highly irritable right now (PCOS hormones), red, raw & severely breaking out has seen ATLEAST a 50% reduction in the redness already!Trust me I'm not an over exaggerater, my mom asked if I was wearing powder already at breakfast! My monstrous zits have turned into whiteheads over night :) and my skin just feels calm and soft. I can't say for the moisturizing/anti-aging benefits on pores/fine lines yet ofcourse but I am sold already! This honey is a keeper for sure. HIghly recommend it for those suffering with severee acne.

FYI; I use clarisonic daily, PMD weekly, tanda zap daily, derma roller bi weekly, AHA treatments & a variety of natural oils as part of my regular skin regimen. I have also tried tazorac, duac gel and retinol in the past. None of the above, alone or combined has shown me such good results, this FAST

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/5/2012 6:43:00 PM More reviews by LiL_Laurie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This was no miracle product for me and I bought the 16+

It does nothing for my pimples, cuts, scrapes, scabs - did not speed healing or help clear an infection that I had.

I give it 2 lippies because it is good for reducing inflammation (if i pick and make a pimple angry it helps take the red out and bring it back to how it looked before) BUT it does not make it heal faster, or become more "pop"able or anything else like that.

If anything I think I break out worse when I use it as a face mask, worse as in deep cystic zits.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/9/2012 12:25:00 AM More reviews by lilmi

I use Manuka 15+, anything under UMF 10 hasn't got any actives so it wont really be different to regular honey.

Price~
I paid around 18 for 250 ml, It's not cheap! BUT if you use it sensibly, then it'll last you quite a while.

Where to buy it from~
Most health-food stores and some supermarkets stock it.

How I use it~
Make sure I've taken all my make-up off etc
I take about half a teaspoon of the honey and spread it over my face, gentle circular motions. Its important not to be too heavy handed as the stickiness of the honey can pull your skin. Also don't layer it on too much because it will start dripping off after a short while. I leave it on for as long as I like, usually 30 minutes or so then I pat it off with a wet cloth using lukewarm water.

Results~
Brighter skin, clean but also moisturised. Blemishes also a bit more calm and soothed.

In a nut-shell~
I think it's great as a face-mask, it cleanses without stripping your skin like a lot of other masks do. If you use it every few days, the jar of honey will probably last you a few months. You can try it as a 'spot' treatment but you probably wont get instant results. It's not a miracle product, it's just a jar of really good honey!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/5/2012 4:33:00 AM More reviews by hanmu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

As an occasional treatment or component in face masks this is wonderful. It really helps to even out my skin tone and heal any sore spots or dry skin.
As for acne, it works well on the cystic type, but not so much on regular pimples. In fact, when I tried using it as a daily face wash in a bid to go more natural it actually clogged my pores and caused even more acne! I think I'll stick to using it once or twice a week.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No