October 25, 2014 | 1161 users online

Makeup Brushes - Hakuhodo - Brushes

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2013 2:21:00 AM More reviews by meluvcosmetics

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

Alright, I'm no good in giving precise review on brushes.
I only know they are good brushes when they feel so soft on my face and don't shed like crazy (shedding one hair once every 3 days or so is not shedding, right?).
Haduhodo Brushes are not available in Singapore but they recently had a 5-day promotion in a department store, yes, just 5 days in Singapore.
I bought J602 Slide Face Angled brush - to be used on the go, and for powder touch, especially my T-zone and the sides of my nose. This brush does these beautifully.
I also bought B100BkSL Finishing Brush Angled - actually I don't really have the need for this brush as I think this is mainly for highlighting. I just use this and brush all over my face after my make to remove any excess powder including along jaw and hairline and my neck. Just feeling something so luxurious on my face is enough to make me invest in this brush.

Overall, I am extremly happy with these two purchases, and will re-buy in a heartbeat if I need to.

Oh, I was lucky to get some first hand tips in looking after these brushes. As I said, my purchase was at a promotion by Hakuhodo and I was served by the Japanese sales lady from Hakuhodo (the local promoter which they employed just for the sale event did not even know these tips). She told me that I only need to wash the brushes once every six months, or even only once a year! Use only detergent for wool. Drying time is 5 DAYS. Yes, you heard me. 5 Days to dry and I am not supposed to use it even if the hairs are dry in a day or two as the hairs inside the brush/handle need to be totally dry before use. So, some Haduhodo trivial for you.

15 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2013 9:28:00 AM More reviews by Moremi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I will review the following:
G5521BkSL Highlight Brush pointed
S103 Pointed Powder Blush Brush
Large pointed Yachiyo
Price: 34 USD
Hair: Goat/Blue Squirrel (amazing softness, but not flimsy due to the goat hair mixed in)
I have used this brush for 10 months, almost daily.

I use the G5521BkSL brush for several tasks: setting under eye concealer with LM secret brightening powder, for powdering my t-zone (the only area on my dry face that gets shiny) and highlighter on the top of my cheekbones, which it applies and blends beautifully. I have not tried this for contouring, even though I know some people have used it for that.

This brush has not shed a single hair. The letters on the handle have worn of slightly, and that is the reason for me only rating it a 4 on 'packaging'. I would probably repurchase due to the fact that it makes those tasks that you COULD manage with another brush a little bit easier and with a more flawless result.

I would recommend. It is also relatively cheap compared to the bigger brushes made of blue squirrel and would be great it you are curious about blue squirrel brushes, but are, like me, a poor student.
I will review the B103. It has the same brush head as the S103 but retails for 72 dollars due to the different handle, which is glossy black instead of vermillion.
The brush is made of goat hair, which is soft and pretty firm, at least compared to the hair of the blue squirrel.

The lettering wore of after 20 minutes of use. It makes me regret not buying the S103, which I think is of better quality when it comes to the handle.

I use it for loose face powder, then I flick it of and use it for bronzer and contour powder. What I love about Hakuhodo brushes is their ability to grab onto product easily and release it just as easily. This fact makes the B103 a multi tasker. I've tried it for directional blush and it works fine, I just prefer my Hakuhodo large pointed yachiyo for that.

After washing it, a smell of wet dog lingers for a short while. It's only natural and nothing that bothers me. I use brush guards to help it remain its original shape.

This brush is the pride of my small collection and a must have for anyone who is economical (yes, buying this brush is an investment) and minimalistic, meaning, wanting a collection as small as possible.

UPDATE: After 10 months of use, it's still in perfect condition. This brush has seriously never shed one single hair. Ever. Even though this brush CAN be used for directional blush, as I wrote earlier, I would not recommend it. The tip may be pointed but the brush is still too big and it does not make it possible to work the blush into the skin, which is my preferred method. I also have to add that the brush hair has a healthy luster to them, like newly conditioned hair. Really shiny, and an indication that the hair used is not damaged.
---
After era of using ecotools blush brush, I felt needed something more precise and with the ability to diffuse pigmented blushes. My eyes landed on the NARS yachiyo, but after reading reviews I decided on Hakuhodos version, because it was described as softer and better. Anyone owning Rae Morris book "Makeup: The ultimate guide" will see this exact brush featured in the brush chapter, where she states that she loves it.
The brus is soft, but in a cotton-y way, instead of having that smooth silky feel that Blue squirrel offers. It manages to apply both sheer and heavily pigmented blushes. You still have to shake of the brush before letting it touch your cheeks if you're using something along the likes of NARS Taj Mahal.
This is the only Hakuhodo brush that has been shedding. About 4 or 5 hairs.
UPDATE: After 7 mpnths of use, I have to rate this lover. If I only had to rate performane, it would get a 5/5, but the quality of this brush is not at the same level as its price. It sheds a LOT. I still love it and use it everyday (since this is the only blush brush I own and I hate throwing expensive stuff), but if I could wind back time, I would have bought a brush from the B series. They are made of softer, black goat and/or squirrel and does not shade one bit!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2013 9:42:00 PM More reviews by TwylaRose

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

These brushes are excellent.
I've been a makeup artist for many years and have used many brushes - these ones take the proverbial cake. With frosting.

I held Trish brushes as my HG brushes until i found these.

The nice thing about the Hakuhodo brushes is they have several "series", the prices running the gamut from MAC to Tom Ford. ALL of them are of excellent quality, and you don't necessarily need to spend the big bucks to get a superb brush.
At this point, all my brushes are from the G and J series, and every single one of them puts any MAC brush in my possession to shame.

If i were to recommend ONE brush here, it would be the G5557 2mm Powder & Liquid Brush. It's by far the best foundation brush EVER.
End of story.

I have two crease-brushes - both of which have slightly different functions that they fulfill perfectly.

If you want brushes that are going to last, that are incredibly soft, and do the job above and beyond expectation, then get Hakuhodo brushes.
Listen - good brushes are an investment. And you don't need to get the high-end series to get superb quality from this company.

A final word about these brushes - do your research and know the *function* of the brush you are purchasing (maybe read up a little on hair-types/density as well as shape, and what they are used for in terms of brush making) and you won't be disappointed in their performance.

I have a full review of the ones i currently own on my blog here;

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/26/2013 6:56:00 PM More reviews by ohmary

I recently bought a J210 Blush Brush from Hakuhodo which they had recommended when I emailed and asked them what they thought would be a good powder brush. I also purchased a blush brush which is goat hair and very nice. A little pricey, but good. The J210 was not good. Too soft for picking up any product, and the hairs starting coming out. That may be because it was new. I had read much great review on utube about their brushes thinking they were the HG of all brushes NOT. I contacted them right away about the dissatification with the one brush, but never heard back. I then read that once the package is opened it is yours!! The price for the J210 Blush Brush was $44. which is medium expensive, but I was disappointed in it. Packaging was fine.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2013 6:45:00 PM More reviews by leahcohen4567

My favorite brushes of all time! I've owned a dozen of these at one time or another and have never been disappointed. They aren't cheap but the quality is totally worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2012 10:29:00 PM More reviews by lindalooby

I have been buying Hakuhodo brushes for 2 years and have accumulated 60 or more brushes so far. I have found the brushes to be above and beyond expectations. The quality and service of the company is outstanding. For those in Australia $12 shipping I think is a fair price. The brush I wanted to review is the J242G eye shadow brush round & flat. This brush is made from goat & synthetic fiber. This brush is my preference to the Mac 239. The price is $17 compared to $54 for the Mac 239 (Australian pricing). I love the Mac 239 and have not been able to buy a comparable brush till I found the J242G, fiber length is the same as the 239, narrower in width and a little less fluffy. The J242G is part of the J Series of brush that previously where only available at trade shows. I have smaller hooded eyes, I find this brush to be firm, small enough to do detail work and large enough to pack colour on the eye lid, smudge liner on the top and lower lashline. I have 2 of these brushes and plan on picking up a few more. A great all round eye brush at a great price point.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2012 5:04:00 PM More reviews by wickedcoolmama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

my holy grail eye shadow brush is g5523bksl. it lightly lays eye shadow and blends it beautifully, it is perfect for very highly pigmented eye shadows, it is soooooo soft, i love everything about this brush! i will be buying more of these for sure. other hakuhodo brushes that i like and use frequently are...k005 for tight lining using gel eye liner and g5510bksl for smudging eye liner or applying dark eye shadow close to the lash line.

couple of complaints that i have with hakuhodo...are their names and product # for the brushes. can they make it any longer and difficult? what is g&#%^*bksl.... and a lot of the names are same. they can totally improve on the numbering, make it more simple for people to order and easy to remember. also, their shipping is $9. that is steep for such a light weight shipment.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2012 1:22:00 AM More reviews by hellokittybrock

I love brushes and I cant believe I have not written a single review for Hakuhodo brushes. Ok I will start from my newly purchased B5521 Powder brush tapered. Just in case anybody needs this review as this brush is pretty new in the market. The hair is a blend of blue squirrel and goat. Its a good brush. Feels very soft. The hair is very dense packed. In terms of softness, it cannot be compared to my RMK blush brush S. Not that it is of an inferior quality. But it is a very dense brush to begin with. RMK feels softer bcos it is not a dense brush. I use this mainly for precise blush at the apples of the cheeks. It blends very well. No complaints and this brush is not expensive. RRP 2940 yen which is about SGD48 or usd 38. I recommend buying it for bronzing, precise blush. But if u need something with a wider dense head like the Mac 129, go for Hakuhodo S110. Thanks for reading

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2012 9:09:00 PM More reviews by RyoRyoChiwa

I am completely re-doing my review: I had a previous one, but now that I've been using them for almost 2 years I can give a better review.
I own 8 brushes so far:
S142 Eye Shadow Brush round
G5510BkSL Eye Shadow Brush round flat
-------
Kokutan Eye Shadow Brush M
Large and round, very soft. Blue squirrel hair. This brush is great for one purpose and one purpose only. To highlight the brow bone. I use this with my MAC Blanc Type and it is AWESOME. If you line the outer V of your eye and want to merge the brow color, yet soften the look-this brush is perfect for doing that without eating the color. I use a steady hand and use gentle sweeping motions just above the coloring in the crease and hold it straight to wind-shield wipe back and forth to let the edge of this brush blend the brow color and harsh V-line. Because of this, I will never get rid of this brush because it is so good at it's one job. I suppose you can use it for large color washes over the lid also, but I like it for my brow bone color because it is the perfect size for my eye and brow area.

Kokutan Eye Shadow Brush T
Pictures on the sight make it look like it is a very good brush for crease work but the brush is not pointed at all EXCEPT after it is washed. For 2-3 uses after washing, with a light hand you can do good crease work and blending on the lower lash line. After a few uses it becomes rounded and less ideal for precise crease work. Strange but that is the best way I can describe it. Also works well for inner corner of the eye for highlighting/frost colors. If you are looking for a true, pointed eye pencil brush I would say you should look for something else. I do however, find I use this brush a bit bc it can be pointed when used after it is shaped post wash and it does a nice job of getting in the crease and small spaces without creating harsh lines. I recently bought the Suqqu Eyeshadow M bc someone said it was more pointed than the Kokutan T but really, I think they are quite similar. Both are nice to have but the Hakuhodo is the cheaper option if you are not a brush collector intent on owning Suqqu. I used to not like this brush much, but have found it has lasted awhile in my brush collection and is a go-to each day and for traveling.

Kokutan Finishing Brush LAG
Ah, another brush that is a keeper for it's sole purpose (for me). I use this for blush, finishing powder around my eyes & for fall out. This is a BIG fan brush. It's fun to run your hands through-it has a decent amount of spring but don't expect a ton of precision with this.Very, very good at getting fall out off of your face without ruining a look. It kinda just wisps every thing away if need be.

G503 Blush Brush L angled
Very dense, good for precise highlighting and applying mineral foundation to the nose area. Other than that, this brush is not a keeper! I apparently can't get into the short handle thing. I think that is one of the main reasons I don't reach for this one that often. I also feel that with a longer handle, I can blend better. Sounds stupid but with the brush being dense and the handle short, my hand is "too heavy" and I end up applying too much foundation/blush.

G527M Powder Brush Maple
A very good, flat top brush for buffing in color. I think I use this brush the most in the morning, especially when I am in a hurry. The goat hair is soft enough and the brush is densely packed. My biggest complaint about this brush is that it does not dry fast enough when deep cleaned. I use the Hakuhodo brush cleanser and the dye from this brush always manages to come out, even when mostly dried. My suggestion would be to wash, let dry all the way if possible and then take a paper towel and buff the shit out of the brush until no residue is on the paper towel. This little incident happened to me this morning with having black/blue hue get applied to my face and I was pissed!! Not a small inconvenience when you are trying to get ready in a hurry. I would imagine that the dye washing out only happens with the goat hair brushes (at least that's what I have read). THIS ONLY HAPPENS WHEN WASHED. Still, that being the biggest negative about the goat hair brushes/this brush-this IS a good brush.

S142 Eye Shadow Brush round
An okay brush. The hair is too long, I think? I dunno what the deal is, it is more pointed than the Kokutan Eye Shadow Brush T, but where it makes up for precision, it lacks density. You have to use a light hand & gentle motions to blend well. Not one for applying any color (like you can with the 217) and if I had to say what "order" this brush comes in during a 3 hour-get-ready session (which I have maybe, MAYBE 3-5 times a year)...this would be a finishing-touches-for-the-eye brush.
This is not a must have at all.
G5510BkSL Eye Shadow Brush round flat
I like that this is a short, shader brush. It can get in tight spots but is mainly for smoking out eyeshadow around the eye. I also have used it for MAC pigments and loose shadows several times. If you do a lot of smokey looks, this might be a must have. For me, it's just a nice addition to my collection.
Overall, I am pleased with these brushes. I would also like to point out that the advertising for the Kokutan brushes gaining more "luster" the longer you hold them is not true at all. In fact, they dull over time. Still, they are my favorite series from Hakuhodo. I actually used a wood polishing wipe to get makeup out of the wood creases from time to time. If you are not one for the upkeep of wood/worrying about the emblem at the bottom fading-stick with a different series.I however, like the look and feel of the wood, the matte ferrule and the silver emblem at the bottom. HTH.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2012 11:08:00 AM More reviews by brandi9689

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I purchased 2 brushes the K021 Eye Shadow Round Brush for applying base shadow and the K022 Powder Brush. These brushes are so soft and I love both of them. The K021 is made from blue squirrel so the base shadow is a light coverage which is exactly what I was looking for. The K022 Powder brush is made from goat hair and makes applying my powder look so natural. I could not achieve this with my old powder brush. The quality of these brushes is great. These brushes are an investment and I plan on purchasing more in the future. The only negative is the shipping is expensive $9.00.