September 20, 2014 | 1749 users online

Lipstick - Revlon - ColorStay Ultimate Liquid Lipstick in Iconic Iris

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2010 7:21:00 PM More reviews by hodgam8

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Like all the over Revlon ColorStay Ultimate Liquid Lipsticks, the color is gorgeous, but the product feels like dried glue on my lips that I can't help but peel off

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2010 11:35:00 PM More reviews by katyd316

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

First, this really does last. For me this lasted through lunch and drinking. Second, I really love the color. It's MLBB, but a bit darker, great for work or a night out. However, I find it quite drying and when I put a gloss or something over it, it smudges and fades a bit. I also think I got a defective bottle or something because my stopper doesn't work and I get big globs of product on the wand. It's really a great color though.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2009 6:33:00 PM More reviews by bailuli

The Colorstay Ultimate and Overtime liquid lipsticks are rather controversial. On one hand they REALLY last, but on the other hand it's really difficult to wear due to how it feels and how it wears. For reference, I'm nC25 asian with medium to pigmented lips.

Iconic Iris is a mauve color with some lilac undertone and shimmer. When on, the color is a bit similar to the Lustrous lipstick in Satin Plum i think. Personally this is a very pretty color, slightly darker than my natural lipcolor so it looks rather natural on me.

The controversy comes in how it wears. Like others complained about before, when it dries it's VERY dry feeling on your lips, and it also tend to clump/pile/flake, especially if you put a gloss over it. However initial application is very nice (sheer to medium, easy to build up and spread, then only takes about a minutes or two to dry).

After some experimentation I think the best way to apply it is to use a very thin layer and even on lips, then wait until it completely dries. Then use a WAX based balm (so no rosebud salve please!) over it. I've been using this home made balm that i bought at work on a whim. It contains Sweet almond Oil, Jojoba Oil, bees wax, flavor, color. The wax based balm actually provides a layer between the formula and the otherside, so that it is less likely to flake and clump into little balls on your lips. I would still be careful to not bring your lips together/blend too much after it dries (before the balm), as that's what can make it start clumping.

once you have the balm on, i think it'll last for a long time! Personally i don't find the formula too horrible when i do it this way, and I like the color and how well it last. If you need something quick and dirty without so much "application tips" this might not be for you

I'm not going to repurchase mostly because I think Satin Plum is too similar to it, and Satin Plum is easier to apply.

EDIT: or if you happens to have one of the Colorstay Overtime liquid lipsticks (which has a gloss on the other end), use that gloss. I think that might work better. it is sticky, but it glides over the dried lipcolor smoothly and makes it less dry and easier to deal with

rated 3 of 5 on 9/28/2009 3:46:00 PM More reviews by Ari08

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm normally not a fan of long wearing products like these; but wanted to try them out since most of the colors look very nice.
This color in particular is really to die for. It is the most pretty mauve color; but of course the downside is that it dried the heck out of my lips. It is def not something to wear alone; you will almost always need to put some sort of gloss on top.
I would def repurchase only because of the color; nothing else.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2009 3:35:00 PM More reviews by alison_k

I made a special trip to the drugstore to purchase one of these lipcolors, but the one I wanted in particular was sold out. So I picked up this color as it looked very similar to my natural lip color. Long-wearing products don't tend to last long on me for some reason, and this was no exception. Within a couple of hours this was flaking off my lips and highlighting all the dry patches (which were mostly caused by this product). I was left with the dreaded ring-around-the-mouth look I so often get with lip products like this. The color was a little too cool for my skin tone, but by no means unwearable. With the right blush I could easily make this work. It is a pinky-mauve with slight shimmer, not frosty at all. The texture was awful. I applied this sparingly and within a few minutes my lips were dry and tight-feeling. I made the mistake of pressing my lips together after waiting about 5 minutes and the result was odd-textured clumpy lips. The packaging is great, and you do seem to get a lot of product for the money. The doe-foot applicator is a good size but does pick up a little too much product in my opinion. I bought two of these in different colors, but won't be buying any more. The colors are ok, but the wearability doesn't live up to expectations. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2009 9:20:00 PM More reviews by scout28

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I don't care how much this dries out my lips the color is to die for and it last so long. It only dries them out a tiny bit but it never looks bad. They almost dry out in a good way if that even makes sense. Very natural looking the color it not too harsh against my fair skin. I now know I don't have to waste money on super expensive department store brand lipstick because Revlon does the trick with lips. The packaging is very nice looking and durable. I will definitely come back to this when I feel like getting a new lip color.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2009 7:31:00 PM More reviews by aprila220

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm not a huge fan of the "long wearing" type of lip stuff. It dries my lips out so bad. However, it wasn't as bad as most I've tried (and it's usually just the day after I wear it). I like that it's a simple one step application and it definately stays put. Through meals, drinks, and kissing ;o)
My boyfriend has a motorcycle that I occasionally will ride with him and it even stays put through that (wind test approved!) Plus, there is no room to carry anything so when we ride and I wear this, I don't have to worry about carrying my lipstick with me.
So although it tends to dry my lips out a bit, I'll suffer through it. This is the only color I've tried, but I've got many compliments on it! (I'm blonde hair, blue eyes, with a slight tan). OH and it looks awesome with my must have Prescriptive lip liner in Umber!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/10/2009 10:23:00 PM More reviews by ktbeta

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a great color for cool PPP ladies. Despite the shimmer in the tube it's not too glittery on the lips. Yes, it feels a little bit sticky after drying, but I am willing to put a coat of Burt's Bees on top for staying power this great! I never need to reapply.

Edit: After 2 weeks of using this, my lips were dry and peeling off in sheets every day. I stopped using it and now my lips are fine. Beware if you have already dry lips, and remember to moisturize!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/27/2009 5:49:00 PM More reviews by 1234anna2580

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I like this gloss, mainly because its not really a gloss. It goes on gloss like and super shiny, then dries to a nice stain that stays on for hours and hours. Not super drying either, all it takes is a little bit of a lip balm and youre good. I love putting these under other lipsticks/glosses for lasting color. There are a lot of color choices which is nice. This color in particular is nice & soft, but a little too much on the cool side for me though. Oh, and what else I really like about them is the value. They're $12, which for a d/s brand might seem like a bit much but the tube is huge! You get a ridiculous amount of product for your money, to me it looks like double what you get from mac.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2009 9:56:00 AM More reviews by 1makeupaddict

love the color..it looked like that was the lightest color they had in this collection...it is a mauvey/pink color and it is sticky at first but that goes away after it dries and i had no problems with my lips feeling dry at all. i love that it does stay on for a really long time! i feel asleep with makeup on and woke up with it still on.