Burt's Bees Sun Protecting Lip Balm SPF 8 with Passionfruit

2.5

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (3.99%) Inactive Ingredients: Beeswax (Apis Mellifera), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Flavor, Lanolin, Passiflora Incarnata (Passionfruit) Extract, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower Seed) Oil, Tocopherol, Rosmarinum Officinalis Leaf Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Canola Oil

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I actually don't mind the scent of this lip balm, but the texture is stiff and it doesn't apply smoothly. It actually hurts my lips to apply this and I think my lips might be allergic to this. I was pretty disappointed since this is the only lip balm that I could find with a stable SPF(Titanium Dioxide).

on 7/31/2012 5:08:00 PM

It's not that bad, but it's not that good either. I got this on the recommendation of a friend who said that it kept her lips from getting overly dry. I liked that it had some SPF, but there are better lipbalms out there with higher levels of SPF. The smell is awful and smells NOTHING like passionfruit. I feel misled by that claim because I was really hoping for a nice smelling lipbalm. This one smells like plastic. I just might throw it out since I have various other lipbalms that work SO much better.

on 7/27/2012 12:56:00 PM

Application: not smooth at all
Look: White cast
Smell: a little plasticky
Purchase again: Definite no!

I generally love all of the Burt's Bees lip balms, so I was unpleasantly surprised to discover this product was not nearly as good quality as the other BB lip balms I've tried. It moisturizes initially, but this does not last long and my lips even feel a bit drier afterward. The texture when applying it to your lips is gritty and crumbly. I've actually used paper towels to "buff" the top of the lip balm so that it applies smooth, but it returns to the same texture after a couple uses. This lip balm also gives a white cast, I'm assuming because of the SPF. Tthe Burt's Bees balms are usually excellent but for me, this one particularly was just disappointing.

on 3/2/2012 6:00:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Wanted a lip balm with SPF for the pool and the passion-fruit sounded promising. Unfortunately this was a miss. Went on dry and crumbly. Also left a white cast, which I could deal with if the formula applied better.

on 9/18/2011 10:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is a decent product if you are looking for sun protection. I like the taste and smell. It isn't the most moisturizing product in the world but I like using it as a base to protect against the sun, under lip gloss.

on 6/13/2011 8:20:00 PM

ok first of all im surprised about all the bad reviews. Everyone is exagerating by "it falls off in chunks and is cakey". It is actually pretty smooth and it doesnt neccasarily need to moisurize 100 percent its supposed to protect your lips from the sun. Such a lovely smell and i put it on like...every hour. Love it!

on 4/14/2011 12:04:00 PM

This is the worst lip balm I've ever used. It's very difficult to apply and is dry and cakey; I've never felt anything like it. Really bad stuff. Conversely, their lip balm with pomegranate oil is one of the best I've ever used but it doesn't have spf which is a real shame.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This stuff is terrible. Just terrible. First off, the texture is GRAINY, when you run it over your lips it comes off in CHUNKS of little bits of white balm on your lips. You have to rub the product in forever just so the chunks will smooth and go away. Second, it leaves a white film over your lips which is just odd looking, and again, you have to rub it in forever just it goes away. As for moisturization, it does the standard job, it smells alright, but it's still terrible. I guess that's the price you pay for having an "all natural" product, but I most definitely will not be buying this again.

EDIT: I went from giving this 1 star to 4 stars, because I realized this lip balm still has a purpose. It is literally the ONLY drugsotre lip balm I've found that doesn't have oxybenzone, which is a chemical that may actually give you cancer! (Ironic, isn't it?) All my other ones SPF balms have oxybenzone. For those who are out in the sun everyday, this would be a really good balm as it has the natural SPF titanium dioxide that won't cause harm with more frequent use. You'll have to put up with the crappy texture, but it will be better for your health, and better than nothing at all.

Use this when I'm outdoors, applies nicely, pleasant fruity smell. The spf is a little low, maybe I should do some homework to see if it's enough, all in all I like the product.

Popular Lip Treatments