Almay One Coat Nourishing Mascara (Thickening)

3.7

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

OK, I have to tell a story about how I encountered this mascara. Last summer, I was out of town at an event and, while sitting outside at dinner with friends, I had a complete catastrophic eye makeup failure. It felt like a chunk of mascara flaked into my eye (but who knows, it could have been a speck of dirt or a radioactive spider, I never did see what it was).

My eye - just the one - would NOT stop watering. My nose began running. It looked like I was seriously ugly crying, which is a hard thing for dinner companions to ignore!

On the chance that my mascara had done this to me, I picked up some of this Almay stuff the next morning. I figured it would be the least irritating, hypoallergenic mascara. And it performed fine for a little while. It's black enough. It's wet enough but not too wet. It's a less dramatic look than I'm used to, but hey - sometimes drama leaves you looking like a sobbing cock-eyed drunk.

But I found very quickly that the Almay tends to flake, and the flakes really are irritating to my eyes. Hypoallergenic fail! When that's the exact thing I was trying to flee, I'm afraid I won't be repurchasing this product.

I'm Very disappointed with Almay one coat mascara. Will never buy again. When I put this mascara on you can barely tell you put mascara on. I don't wear mascara thick, but would like for it to be slightly visible. It does not stay on long either as I find myself reapplying it a couple times a day. Disappointed.

Just rediscovered this affordable little gem. A perfect everyday mascara that not only thickens, it also adds definition and length. No clumping or flaking. Plus it holds a curl and washes off easily at the end of the day. This is quickly becoming a HG!

Wow, I am a BIG Diorshow Blackout mascara fan & this drugstore find has really impressed me. To compare, the Dior mascara I usually use is $25, this Almay mascara is about $4. This mascara works almost just as well as my Dior, for only $4!!! I am most definitely impressed. This mascara didn't give the same effect as the higher end mascaras, but this was pretty darn good for a drugstore brand. DEFINITELY better than Maybelline or Covergirl mascaras. This mascara created long, thick, intensely black eyelashes...that didn't flake & held a curl very well. I got just as many compliments as I do when I wear my usual mascara, the one with the hefty price tag. I will definitely be buying this mascara again! Although I will say, I don't think I can completely stray from Dior, but Almay is definitely on my go to list.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This mascara is quite possibly the best thickening mascara I've tried, but it has some really bad disadvantages. My lashes really do end up mega thick with this formula, they also end up significantly longer, and it's not a lengthening formula. Now I really like this stuff because I love that super thick/long look. The issue is that the mascara is very waxy, and I mean very. Lot's of wax, means lot's of clump, so I have to use a lash comb after to separate them. The wand doesn't help too much because it's a chubby wand. The other downfall of the wax is that it's really tough to remove. I can sometimes feel the residue on my lashes after both washing my face and then using my remover. I do love the end result, but it's a tough mascara to use.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Did not hold my curl at all, in fact it made my freshly curled lashes droop as soon as I applied it. However, it's great for sensitive eyes and is the first mascara I've tried so far that doesn't irritate my eyes to the extreme after a few hours of wear. Easy to remove and doesn't clump, as long as you apply less than three layers.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I will be buying this product again because it gets the job done (thickens my lashes naturally) but more importantly, it does NOT irritate my eyes!!! This is a HUGE plus- I love the look of mascara but most products I've tried, drugstore and high end, have caused horrible, painful irritation by the end of the day (I wear contacts, FYI). I can wear this mascara all day without experiencing any irritation. It also stays on quite well, with little product smearing below my eyes.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I think this is a decent mascara! Goes on pretty dark and I think it's thickening. I'd do more than one coat but I like it more than maybelline mascara. My ultimate favorite is L'oreal voluminous and if I feel like spending more, Clinique high impact.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

This mascara doesn't look nearly as good on my lashes as it does on the beautiful girl in the picture on the MUA page. It looks like I don't even have mascara on. I have straight thin asian eyelashes, and I usually curl my lashes, then put on waterproof mascara which holds the curl, the layer on a volumizing washable mascara and it looks great, I get a lot of compliments on it. However, this actually drags down the curl and makes my lashes look spidery. Wouldn't recommend.

Terrible. Absolutely NO affect on the lashes, almost like having no mascara on. Don't waste your money. Massive disappointment.

Popular Mascaras