October 20, 2014 | 1760 users online

Lipstick - Guerlain - Rouge G Jewel

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2012 9:19:00 AM More reviews by ValentinaRUS

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have it in Garance (06). Initially I only bought it because I liked the color: on my lips it reads muted rose with a hint of brown (which is just a tad brighter than my quite pigmented lips). I hated the packaging from the pictures and when I got it I hated it even more. To me there is nothing sophisticated about it. It looks like a toy for guys (like a bullet or something). It is heavy and bulky. If it wasn't the amazing formula, I would've regretted the purchase. But the formula makes up for everything: it is creamy but not to the point where it melts off your lips within an hour or bleed, it is waxy without feeling stiff. It is better than my all-time favorite Chanel's Rouge Allures. And it doesn't have the smell like Guerlain's lipglosses which was too loud for me to bear. I am def going to keep buying this hoping they will tune down the packaging at some point.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/11/2011 1:14:00 PM More reviews by DeborahTX

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

Bought 06 Garance because I purchased online and wanted to be sure it was a wearable color. It is a beige pink that reminds me very much of Lipstick Queen Saint Nude.

The Rouge G formula is a *dream*. So creamy and smooth, and melts into the lips so that it looks like your own color rather than "sitting on top", if you know what I mean.
I happen to like the rose-like fragrance, and it doesn't linger nor have a taste.

Compared to Lipstick Queen, though, the Guerlain formula remains moist and feels good for much longer. Also, there is a little moist sheen to it, whereas St Nude feels matte in comparison. Depends on the look one wants. I generally am a gloss fan, so I really like the subtle sheen. It is not a shimmer, but lips look... kissable!

I also like the very heavy, substantial packaging. It is so rich and elegant--perfect for a night out when you want to look luxurious! (Not so great for those of us who carry around 5+ lipsticks every day though!)

This is an amazing lipstick. The price is really outrageous, but because of all the other positives, I expect I'll purchase another shade. :-)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/11/2010 6:12:00 AM More reviews by flymbulous

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

First up, my apologies for the uploaded pic of swatches which were not labelled. They are (L-R) Gisele 08, Gina 20, Geisha 23, Grenade 65.

I had my husband purchase 3 of the lippies from Heathrow duty free as I'd read in blogs that it's less expensive there than elsewhere. My first Rouge G was purchased in Singapore for SGD 73 (about USD51). The other 3 cost about SGD 48 or 23 GBP/ USD 35 each. Big difference!

Colour: Pigmented and I love them. Great colour pay-off and buildable from light to full coverage. Gisele is a MLBB colour for my pigmented lips and has a rose tinge though it's not very obvious. It's almost mauvish with shimmer. Gina is a warm orangey shimmery red. Geisha is a true red, very close to Estee Lauder's discont'd Silent Red (my all time fave red, a real kick a** red). Grenade turns out to be a raspberry red (or reddish raspberry?) if you layer it enough, definitely a cool shade. All the colours have a sheen to it so the amount of shimmer that shows is just right. I thought Gina didn't wear as evenly as the other colours.

Feel: Feels great on the lips! They had better, at that price. I think Chanel's Rouge Coco isn't as moisturizing as Rouge G; the latter has a creamy, velvety and cushiony feel to it. Perhaps the Rouge Coco I tried was a bad comparison as it was a tester from the counter. The colour for Rouge G stayed fresh and lasted a little longer than most lipsticks. It would probably stay put with some drinks and light snacks, though it didn't last through a greasy Chinese meal for me. In terms of conditioning the lips, it's almost as good as Chantecaille's lipgloss; not there but close.

Packaging: Super luxe. The one I purchased in Singapore came with a black velvet pouch (very handy for wiping away fingerprints). The other 3 that were bought in Heathrow didn't. Guerlain should be consistent with this. The case feels heavy and expensive. This is not a lippy to be applied at home. The packaging screams for you to apply/touch up in public.

I would buy this again at the right price, certainly not in Singapore but in UK if I have the opportunity.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2009 9:29:00 PM More reviews by dollbird

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

I have this in 64 (Gemma). It is now my everyday go-to lipstick for work. It is the prettiest rosy pink on my pigmented lips. One of the most beautiful MLBB rosy pink shades I have tried. It has no shimmer, medium-full coverage, lasting power is above average but like the other reviewer said it is a joy to reapply. I bought this not because of the packaging but because I was on a hunt for lipsticks that moisturize my hypersensitive dry lips (boycotted MAC, BB, YSL, Dior, Nars, EL, Smashbox, Clinique, plus other major dept/drugstore brands). After wearing this for a week I'm proud to report no peelies for me! Of course the packaging is a nice touch but I would rather pay less for a less ornate case. Cdn$48 is hard to swallow, in fact I feel a little stupid spending this much on a lipstick but the formula is what sold me. It glides on my lips, covering it with a smooth buttery veil. Feels extremely comfortable, no tackiness, no lines, skin balling up, just smooth kissable lips. I must say the texture is divine. Looking forward to trying other dressier shades for nights out.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2012 11:17:00 PM More reviews by lilahtov1

Such a fabulous lipstick. I am one to sing the praises of drugstore makeup but lips are obviously not the place to skimp. This lipstick is the creamiest, most hq formula I have come across, and it lasts me a few months of daily wear. True, gorgeous shades that I always get compliments on--and the packaging alone is worth the kinda high price tag. If you're looking for a truly fabulous lipstick in look and feel, look no further. Money well spent.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2010 11:41:00 AM More reviews by ekym

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This review if for Geisha 23. I really love the look of a perfect red lipstick, but I’d given up hope that I was ever going to find one for me. Every red I ever bought was a beautiful blue-red that looked gorgeous in the tube. But alas, they would all do the same thing: turn pinkish on me (sometimes a garish fuchsia, sometimes a sheer cranberry), never the true red that I wanted. (On a side note, those lipsticks that were blue, yellow or coral from the ‘80’s that turn “the best color for you,” my mom had a blue one and a yellow one, those turn bright fuchsia on me too.) My other problem with lipsticks is that I often react to the formula, it makes my lips tingle, then the next day they are dry and scaly, then the next day they flake. Fun. When flipping through a Sephora catalog I spotted this lipstick; it, too, look gorgeous and I was intrigues by the use of ruby powder in the formula. Sephora’s website calls it an “orange red” which initially turned me off. Although my skin is a fair olive, I hate coral-tinted lipsticks and glosses. After reading that another reviewer for this shade also experienced red lipsticks turning pink in the past, but that slightly orange lipsticks seemed to solve the problem, I was very optimistic. I was able to try the shade on at the mall and it actually looked red! I did try another one of Guerlain’s reds (Gala – 21, a “true red” which turned slightly pinkish), but this one was the best. It was a rich, true red without being too loud. It really looked effortless, but also dramatic – the perfect red! Finally! I wore it the rest of the day (which seemed a little odd for August) to see if the formula bothered me. It didn’t tingle on my lips or dry them out at all! I was thrilled! I bought it a week later (just to make sure there were no adverse side effects. I only wear it when I’m in the mood for red. It last pretty well too; I do reapply after a meal, but just sipping on a drink won’t take it all off. With the beautiful, but slightly heavy, case, I don’t mind reapplying. Yes, this is very expensive, but for me to find the prefect red I absolutely think it’s worth every penny and I will repurchase. Please, Guerlain, please don’t ever discontinue this color!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2010 7:10:00 PM More reviews by bonhomie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Just purchased Gwen 69 and Gigi 68, from the Fall 2010 collection and I'm thrilled with these colors!

Gwen: In the case it looks like a wine red, but on my pigmented lips the wine is toned down and it's more of an intense, deep berry tone. Love this. I have olive, warm skin tone and it looks phenomenal.

Gigi: This is the most gorgeous shade of fuchsia I've put on my lips. It is bright but not in a garish way. It is not retro '80's neon, thank gawd. I find that I usually look best in bright, bold colors and I prefer lipsticks with depth to them. Gigi is not for the faint of heart. You will get noticed. I was lucky and got the last tube at Nordstrom. Apparently it has been quite popular.

I did try both lippies along with many other colors at the Guerlain counter. I would highly recommend trying them on or swatching before buying as they look different on everyone. At this price point, I have to LOVE the color and it needs to make me look faboosh.

I actually wear these (and most strong colored lipsticks) without lip liner and I don't have fading, feathering, or bleeding issues with Guerlain. I have two other Guerlain Rouge G lipsticks and find them all very creamy, moisturizing and long lasting. Gwen and Gigi are no exceptions.

These lippies have a light fragrance (like others in the line), but I don't find it overpowering or annoying. I definitely don't smell it when it's on. It is ridiculously expensive, but I love the case. It is lovely and the built in mirror comes in very handy. Just wish it was refillable. Like others have noted, the case is a bit heavy, but I don't mind this because it is quite the little show stopper.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2009 4:14:00 PM More reviews by charbaby

I purchased this in 23, Geisha. It is a great color for my skintone and hair..I'm kind of a golden beige person with caramel, brown, butterscotch hair (Idont know,,its mixed and highlighted). It is a red with some orange and a hint of brown..but not so much that its too warm. I think its great for summer because its not too deep. I love the way the color wears- just fades leaving a bit of stain. I bought this because I wanted a mirror at my immediate disposal, and it does work for that, but is a little difficult to open and get to the right place to see. So expensive and I dont know about the other colors..so I hope to see them in person somewhere. I ordered this off the internet!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/28/2009 1:02:00 PM More reviews by Nonfiction

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is GROWN woman lipstick--I love it! the color is perfect and it lasts a long time. The compact is a little heavy, but it so to the future. I purchased this as a mothers day gift to myself. Well, it is April 28th and I'm using it now! I could not wait, besides tomorrow is not promised and I want to look great today. I was shocked that the color works for me. Red is difficult on my skin tone. #22 Greta looks wonderful. I applied a lip conditioner, but I'm not sure that I really needed it. The rouge is soft and sort-of creamy. I also used DuWop reverse lip liner (clear).
Yeah, it's a grown women--star look.
I'm doing the "go-mom" dance! Perfect for work or going out. I seem to have better control using a lip brush.
It is very expensive, but you are paying for the compact and a quality lipstick--plus it's a gift to me.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2013 9:45:00 AM More reviews by edusa

I have Giuletta and Gems from this line. These are my favorite lipsticks ever. The packaging is great almost like a jewel. A mirror is involved so its easy to re-apply wherever you are. Smells rosy which can be a cons for some people. The texture is so smooth, pigmented and moisturizing. Lasts for a really one time. It is my HG lip product!